ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Brackets and discussion

People on here saying Davis has a terrible draw is an opinion I don't get. Where the heck would you place him to satisfy these guys. Davis 2 losses are in bottom half. Obviously he's been in a lot of tight scraps but finds a way to win. If he faces Peterson again, stay out of upper body and put it to him this time with no controversy. I'm sure the coaches are working specifically with Daviss handling of all these shorter muscle mutts. Go gettem Braden!
Maybe some are misreading the brackets thinking Davis first match is winner of Peterson/Unger, not Joyce/Brown? Just a thought.
Reactions: Franklinstheman

The Steelers just traded Pickett to the Eagles.

Or he just is not a good QB and Pitt fans try to continually convince themselves that he is. IMO, the Steelers gave him preferential treatment solely due to the fact that he went to Pitt, and they suffered the past two seasons because of it.
McSorley>Pickett, and you won’t convince me otherwise!!!
Lol saying Trace was better costs you any credibility
  • Haha
Reactions: cyrizzle

Good move for both sides. Steelers prevent any distractions in the locker room while Pickett gets a fresh start in Philly. He’ll backup Hurts for a years or two and then hopefully he gets a chance to start again elsewhere.

I think both of these are mutually exclusive and can be true:

- Russell Wilson is a clear upgrade over Pickett
- Although Pickett might’ve never become an MVP, the Steelers absolutely did not put him in a position to succeed
Or he just is not a good QB and Pitt fans try to continually convince themselves that he is. IMO, the Steelers gave him preferential treatment solely due to the fact that he went to Pitt, and they suffered the past two seasons because of it.
McSorley>Pickett, and you won’t convince me otherwise!!!

Does Tom Brands make his wrestlers better?

Do you still post here? Wanted to tell you I can relate. You made a post, everyone... Hawk and PSU fans alike poke fun at you and then a few years later you are proven right all along. If you don't post here anymore let me give you some advice...change your stance on that. Ya gotta trust me on this but playing the "long game" is so much more fun. And if your goal is to just make Hawk fans look dumb, it's always the most fulfilling...even if a few PSU fans end up becoming collateral damage.
I'm still around.

Does Tom Brands make his wrestlers better?

Talked to Beau’s dad and his friend with my friend last Saturday. He was a great guy and very open about how beau’s recruitment went and why he chose psu. He also gave us some insight in how psu runs the program.

Stuff we have all heard before but the Cael we see seems to be how he is off camera. They get mad at that .

They just want to be where Penn State is now, and I think they’re starting to realize that will never happen. They don’t realize how far Cael’s influence extends. It died on me recently what he has actually accomplished, and it’s sort of like how you laid out out he wouldn’t be the best program. He wanted this to be the best wrestling destination in this country or maybe the world.
Here's the thing. You can run a program like boot camp, but eventually boot camp ends. Even Seal and Ranger training only last so long at such an intense level. Eventually, you see massive burnout and animosity. That doesn't work in any program or business. Coaches have to realize, these are human beings and young adults. Then, throw in college classes, injuries, and a massive amount of pressure. There has to be an off button somewhere.

Shots fired by crybaby Manning

I’ve always had the opinion that the “wild card” / “at-large” concept exists specifically for the purpose of ensuring that anomalies do not unfairly punish deserving wrestlers, whether the anomaly be a last-minute injury or some fluky loss in a qualification tournament.

Of course, there must be limits on such a concept to ensure fairness, which I believe the Coaches Rank-RPI-Win% model does quite reasonably. Under that model, it is fair for Starocci to make NCAAs without truly wrestling in the qualification tournament. Willie’s philosophical view on that last point is very narrow.

Everyone wants the very best wrestlers participating at Nationals at their best condition possible. With that goal in mind, I have no problem with an injured wrestler forfeiting a “qualification” tournament and being selected to participate at Nationals on the basis of his regular season achievements.

And with that last point in mind, I’ll say one more thing: anyone who bellyaches about duals not mattering cannot then turn around and imply that a wrestler who earned it during the dual-meet season should be barred from Nationals if he doesn’t wrestle at the conference championship. That would be rather hypocritical, placing disproportionate importance on the conference tourney and further diminishing the importance of duals.
This. Tough matches (or top guys wrestling at all) in duals would become way more rare - especially late in the season

Whaa??? They've been terrible recently under Colbert!!! Watt of course was a great pick, but other than him you have a bunch of stiffs.

2022 - Pickett
2021 - Harris
2019 - Bush
2018 - Edmunds
2017 - Watt
2016 - Burns
2015 - Dupree
Again...haven't been great is accurate. All of them even Burns are still in the league or were last year. Burns and Bush were the only two that were horrible before Pickett and you have to wonder how much the injury impacted Bush's career.

Kansas City hotel canceled

Who says lightning can't strike twice in the same place? (Tulsa and Kansas City)
(Different city, but same event)
Block of hotel rooms canceled "again" a week ago (2 weeks before arrival).
The excuse this time is that they overbooked and expected more guests would cancel. Wrong.
The sad thing is, there's really noting we can do, except try to find alternate lodging. At least this year, the canceling hotel has helped with that. We were walking distance to arena, now we're not.
Before you ask, we made these arrangements over a year ago, had a signed contract, and a deposit was paid.
This sucks.
Wonder what excuse they'll come up with in Philly next year?
Check with PSWC. Email Helen Knerr. Her full name, no spaces, @gmail.com. I heard last night they might still have some rooms available.

Shots fired by crybaby Manning

So, essentially we have three choices: 1) make all 33 allocations to the conferences, which forces everyone to wrestle to make Nationals, or 2) continue with the status quo. or 3) some hybrid. In the first scenario, I think Carter wrestles at B1Gs and qualifies, but Nolf probably would not have been able to go at B1Gs and therefore would not have qualified, or won, that year. So I guess it's a question of will there be some kind of allowance for guys far superior to the field but injured to still qualify for Nationals. In my humble opinion, there should at least be some allowance for this scenario.
I’ve always had the opinion that the “wild card” / “at-large” concept exists specifically for the purpose of ensuring that anomalies do not unfairly punish deserving wrestlers, whether the anomaly be a last-minute injury or some fluky loss in a qualification tournament.

Of course, there must be limits on such a concept to ensure fairness, which I believe the Coaches Rank-RPI-Win% model does quite reasonably. Under that model, it is fair for Starocci to make NCAAs without truly wrestling in the qualification tournament. Willie’s philosophical view on that last point is very narrow.

Everyone wants the very best wrestlers participating at Nationals at their best condition possible. With that goal in mind, I have no problem with an injured wrestler forfeiting a “qualification” tournament and being selected to participate at Nationals on the basis of his regular season achievements.

And with that last point in mind, I’ll say one more thing: anyone who bellyaches about duals not mattering cannot then turn around and imply that a wrestler who earned it during the dual-meet season should be barred from Nationals if he doesn’t wrestle at the conference championship. That would be rather hypocritical, placing disproportionate importance on the conference tourney and further diminishing the importance of duals.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT