ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday morning thoughts

Defense
  • Our DBs have looked really good all year. That's quite a statement since we lost our top CB and top S to the NFL draft.
  • I'm surprised how few sacks we get considering how often we blitz and how talented we are at DE. FWIW we had 3 sacks yesterday and 2 of them were Izzard. Maybe he can make a big contribution going forward.
  • Our 2 top LBs (Carter & Jacobs) combined for 5 tackles. I remember when PSU's top LBs would get 10 tackles per game.
  • 5 TOs were the difference in the game. A couple were great coverage by DBs but others looked unforced. Altmyer made some huge errors.

Offense
  • Not a lot good in this game. Our OL was manhandled. Singleton only had 37 yds rushing and that included a late 16 yd TD run. Until then he was averaging 2 yds per carry.
  • PSU's average starting position in the first half was somewhere near the 40 but we were limited to FGs. It's not good when we can't score on 1st and goal from the 2 yd line (and we weren't pushed back because of a penalty). Is our OL that much worse than advertised?
  • How much of the problem was scheme? Illinois loaded the box and #4 was incredibly disruptive. Where were the screen passes to slow the rush? What about getting the ball to our RBs in space? Most of the runs seemed to be between the tackles which played into Illinois strategy.
  • With so much pressure I would have hoped we could do better with a quick release pass over the middle to one of our big TEs.
  • I've been hoping that we could throw the ball to our big TEs or McClain in the EZ. The TEs are both 6'6" and McClain is 6'4".
  • How much did we miss Wallace? Hope he's good to go for Iowa. Also hope McClain's drops were a one time thing.

Special Teams
  • Felkins looks reasonably solid from short range
  • Thompson averaged 42 yds punting. He seems to rely on directional punting more than long booming punts.

HB Pass TD Discussion

@CaliLION79 you didn't share this yet!

Remember the 1st play of the game? Singleton to the boundary for a 1 yard gain? I griped about it. Seemed like a wasted play.

Yurcich was playing chess while I was thinking checkers.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT