ADVERTISEMENT

Football 17 Thoughts on Penn State's 17-7 win over Northwestern

On the pass to Wallace that you supplies a picture for...

1. Every receiving option on this play has separation except for Wallace.
2. Washington or is it Johnson (deep middle option, can't see a #) look to be the best options.
3. Wallace actually appears to be the clear out to get Johnson open (and it worked).
4. Wallace actually comes open on the throw, but Clifford doesn't throw to the correct spot.
5. I like your idea of Strange being the check down, definitely the easiest throw for SC to make.
6. Another RB open in the flat. Could be a huge gainer too.

Reactions: bison13

2. Washington or is it Johnson (deep middle option, can't see a #) look to be the best options.
3. Wallace actually appears to be the clear out to get Johnson open (and it worked).
4. Wallace actually comes open on the throw, but Clifford doesn't throw to the correct spot.
5. I like your idea of Strange being the check down, definitely the easiest throw for SC to make.
Great points on all as well - we could talk about No.6 for a long time. Clifford's refusal to consistently look into the flats has been costly.

Would we like to see more screengrabs in these posts going forward?

Reactions: lazydave841
Great points on all as well - we could talk about No.6 for a long time. Clifford's refusal to consistently look into the flats has been costly.

Would we like to see more screengrabs in these posts going forward?

Absolutely yes to the screen grabs.

Curious if we could get one for the play where NW scored. A lot blame Carter for giving up the TD. I'm inclined to believe we were in zone and the safety was supposed to take the WR if he went deep.

I'm old and have no idea how MY has SC go through his progressions but eons ago when I played QB, I was taught to work deep to shallow. that may not be the case at all on this play but I wonder what SC is supposed to do on his progressions on certain plays. Im sure on the bubble screens and the TD throw to STrange there are really no deep routes since its a quick pass but on something like this I would have absolutely tried to hit the WR in the middle of the field.

Reactions: lazydave841
  • The weather was HORRIBLE and that can't be ignored. It ended up being a huge part of the game.
  • I knew CJF would get conservative on offense once we went up 14. He has a tendency to nurse leads and it has, at times, cost us.
  • CJF was livid at the fumbles, and rightly so. Interesting that Ford would have gotten a lot of carries saturday
  • Not unusual for true frosh to make mistakes. these kids probably never played in a game under these conditions before. Lee has a history of fumbling and that has cost him a lot of playing time
  • even late in the fourth quarter, our RBs were STILL carrying the ball with one hand.
  • Guaranteed teams will concentrate on causing fumbles moving forward
  • OL and DL simply dominated this game, as you said. both teams skill players couldn't make plays due to the weather.
  • That TD play to the TD was tried again, with success, later in the game. But it went for something like seven yards.

LD I agree, Cliff has been doing this his entire career. Not seeing.

As far as I'm concerned Singleton lost 3 fumbles. He fumbled inside our own 5 yd line but the refs ruled forward progress had been stopped. Big break because that could gave been 7 pts for NW.

Clifford should have had 2 INTs. NW dropped an easy one.

PSU's goal line stand was huge. 6 more inches would have been 7 pts for NW.

Saturday's game was a few close plays from being a loss.

ADVERTISEMENT