ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Players under the radar....

VaNtyLion

Jul 11, 2001
Got to thinking about this with all of the (deserved) hype around Saquon, but have to say I'm anxious to see what Miles Sanders does after a year under his belt. We want Barkley to get his touches but also think we need to distribute the load early in the season to keep these guys as fresh as possible for the duration. Sanders and Robinson are excellent backs that have barely shown what they can do.

On D, I'm looking at a guy like Cam Brown. I'm still worried about the LB depth a little bit and Cam probably was thrown to the fire a bit early last year but would figure to make a big jump this season.

I would like to see what Polk does coming back from injury. How much speed does he still have?

I agree with you on Cam Brown.

Polk could add another scary dimension to the offense. Always forget he and Trace were high school teammates and had a lot of chemistry there. Need to find ways to get him the ball other than the jet sweeps, which I think get too predictable.

Reactions: BBrown
Not under the radar PR Wise but maybe production wise but mine in Johnson. If he's legit and reminds us of Godwin, the O is better this year over last year.

Can we count Irv Charles as "under the radar?" With the spring spotlight on Juwan Johnson, will Charles emerge to give us a second tall, dangerous receiver?

Is this the year Stirling Jenkins lives up to his potential to challenge for playing time at OT?

It's fun to have the depth on the team that we can speculate about which under the radar players will have break out years.

Reactions: BBrown
Got to thinking about this with all of the (deserved) hype around Saquon, but have to say I'm anxious to see what Miles Sanders does after a year under his belt. We want Barkley to get his touches but also think we need to distribute the load early in the season to keep these guys as fresh as possible for the duration. Sanders and Robinson are excellent backs that have barely shown what they can do.

On D, I'm looking at a guy like Cam Brown. I'm still worried about the LB depth a little bit and Cam probably was thrown to the fire a bit early last year but would figure to make a big jump this season.

Good topic.

I have a few.
Nick Scott. We definitely need someone to step up and I think he might be the one to do it.
Andre Robinson. I really like what I've seen from him.
Garret Taylor
T.J. Johnson
Colin Castagna
Tyrell Chavis- I think he's ready for a break out year. He looked huge in the LFL photos.
Nick Bowers
Johnathon Holland
I'd add Brandon Polk to the list as well.

In Nate's thread with the photos for LFL there is one of Daniel.
Unless that photo was really distorted he looks waaayyy too thin and lean, to me, to be getting any time at all on the DL.
Its #14 in the list.

https://bwi.rivals.com/galleries/221

Haven't read much about Joseph. Wonder if he was working out?

b5qc43ff67g67ofhf9ci

Cam Brown (left) looks much stronger

cr6fbvamonxo9a0kinsw

Lamont Wade looking pretty jacked...

ae0a9hpuepm8dmp2wug9

Good topic.

I have a few.
Nick Scott. We definitely need someone to step up and I think he might be the one to do it.
Andre Robinson. I really like what I've seen from him.
Garret Taylor
T.J. Johnson
Colin Castagna
Tyrell Chavis- I think he's ready for a break out year. He looked huge in the LFL photos.
Nick Bowers
Johnathon Holland
I'd add Brandon Polk to the list as well.

Nice list. With a list like this of right now non-starters, in addition to the obvious returning talent/starters, this will be a fun team to watch. We know Scott is a great athlete from his special teams work. Andre Robinson is a powerful back and it will be great to see what he does in the open field as he gets more touches. I really have no opinion on Taylor, not having seen enough of him on the field so far - but as a former top recruit if the staff has found a home for him at Safety he can fight to start when Allen leaves. TJ Johnson looked great in the Spring game, and is a bigger kid than I can ever remember playing CB at PSU. Castagna is playing a position of need (depth wise) and looks to be much more mature than the young talent that will be in the fray at DE, maybe giving him a chance to stabilize the position some what. Chavis was just getting his feet wet last year, so with a year in the program should be ready to utilize his talent and be a serious player in the DT rotation. Bowers was reported to be ready to contribute last year, before his injury, and together with Holland (who looked good, but not especially big) should be the type of TE depth the team needs. Polk seemed ahead of Thompkins before he got hurt, so his speed should be a problem for defenses when he is targeted.

As someone said above, I'm looking for Cam Brown to make a serious improvement in his play this year. He got thrown into the fray before he was really ready, but the upside of those situations is the next year when a player uses the game experience and the associated critique that identifies his weaknesses and addresses those weaknesses, many times making a big leap in performance in the second year on the field....

Who was the poster that this was an inside joke with? I can't remember who last year kept posting about this over and over...

21guns. (I miss the guy although I'm relatively certain he's still posting under another handle. His posts were entertaining and the exchanges with his message board buddies were a hoot.)

Polk could add another scary dimension to the offense. Always forget he and Trace were high school teammates and had a lot of chemistry there. Need to find ways to get him the ball other than the jet sweeps, which I think get too predictable.

That was under a different OC.

21guns. (I miss the guy although I'm relatively certain he's still posting under another handle. His posts were entertaining and the exchanges with his message board buddies were a hoot.)
Missing Gunsie is like saying you miss cancer after being in remission for ten years.

A guy I've seen do nothing but improve each year, but doesn't get discussed much here, is Saeed Blacknall. I could see him very much having a Godwin like year. That, and I can seem him taking a share of possession catches away from Gesicki to keep defenses guessing.

Reactions: KnightSlayer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT