ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Class - NFL Draft

ejb25

Dec 31, 2013
I was just looking at some mock NFL drafts, and if Will Levis gets drafted in the First Round, the 2018 PSU recruiting class might be one of the best in PSU history with four 1st Round Picks:
  1. Micah
  2. Oweh
  3. Dotsen
  4. Will Levis
Even Freirmuth was a potential first round pick at one point. Has PSU ever had a recruiting class with 4-5 1st Round Picks in one recruiting class?

I was just looking at some mock NFL drafts, and if Will Levis gets drafted in the First Round, the 2018 PSU recruiting class might be one of the best in PSU history with four 1st Round Picks:
  1. Micah
  2. Oweh
  3. Dotsen
  4. Will Levis
Even Freirmuth was a potential first round pick at one point. Has PSU ever had a recruiting class with 4-5 1st Round Picks in one recruiting class?
Possibly 98. Not sure but Larry Johnson, Bryant Johnson, Michael Haynes and Jimmy Kennedy all could have been in that class as well as Bryan Scott who was a second round pick if memory serves.

Reactions: rcy4499
  1. Micah
  2. Oweh
  3. Dotsen
  4. Will Levis
94 team had collins, kijana, engram, brady, hartings, johnson, not sure of their recruiting year

I don't get the early 1st round love for Levis. Great for the kid if it happens but what is it that is putting him there? I like his physicality and arm strength but I don't see the rest of the game that is anywhere near consistent with a 1st round grade. Someone fill me in on what I'm missing.

I don't get the early 1st round love for Levis. Great for the kid if it happens but what is it that is putting him there? I like his physicality and arm strength but I don't see the rest of the game that is anywhere near consistent with a 1st round grade. Someone fill me in on what I'm missing.
Well, given some of the other QBs that been picked in the first round as of late, why not. Starting with Tim "the most over-rated player in college football history" Tebow. All it takes is one. I would take him over Stroud or Young but wouldn't draft any of these guys in the top 30.

Many want to compare him to Josh Allen based on size and hard running, but I’ve watched Allen play and his pocket presence is amazing. He almost always seems to know when to step out of the way and avoid sacks. Levis lacks that completely and often runs into sacks. I don’t see him having much success in the NFL, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Online Persona
When I watched his games every announcer drooled over his quick release.

Reactions: Online Persona
If Levis could go somewhere and sit for a year, I think he could be successful to some degree.

I think his internal clock is his worst attribute, and that will get you killed in the NFL.

Outside of Seattle or Arizona, top 10 doesn't have friendly destinations. But guaranteed money.

Many want to compare him to Josh Allen based on size and hard running, but I’ve watched Allen play and his pocket presence is amazing. He almost always seems to know when to step out of the way and avoid sacks. Levis lacks that completely and often runs into sacks. I don’t see him having much success in the NFL, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, it's plainly obvious that you are praying for Will to fail, as evidenced by your incessant need to chime in and take a cheapshot at him anytime someone dares to post his name. How many #1 practice reps did he get over the span of his career? How many different coordinators did he have?

Yeah, it's plainly obvious that you are praying for Will to fail, as evidenced by your incessant need to chime in and take a cheapshot at him anytime someone dares to post his name. How many #1 practice reps did he get over the span of his career? How many different coordinators did he have?
My incessant need? I thought this was a message board. I guess only people who agree with you are allowed to post. None of us know how many #1 practice reps he got and here’s a news flash for you, #1 practice reps are earned and he obviously wasn’t good enough to earn them while at Penn State. He got plenty at Kentucky and he still wasn’t very good, so there’s that.

The biggest issue he had here is that is not an RPO type QB. He just didn’t fit our offensive system. KU was a great move for him as he fit their system perfectly…….and they had the same colors so he didn’t have to buy a whole new wardrobe😉

My incessant need? I thought this was a message board. I guess only people who agree with you are allowed to post. None of us know how many #1 practice reps he got and here’s a news flash for you, #1 practice reps are earned and he obviously wasn’t good enough to earn them while at Penn State. He got plenty at Kentucky and he still wasn’t very good, so there’s that.
I'll help you out a little:

In 4 years he had 4 different coordinators, and as soon as he was evaluated by a different staff he almost immediately became a Day 1 NFL draft pick, per experts, while the guy who was allegedly better than him will be hitting the streets to find a regular job. Best wishes to them both!!!

as soon as he was evaluated by a different staff he almost immediately became a Day 1 NFL draft pick, per experts

He was eligible for the draft last year after 1 season at UK. Why wasn't he a heralded day 1 pick in last year's weak draft class? Why did that occur in the month later?

Hype.

His arm strength and quick release were going to get him drafted regardless of where he played his football. UK did offer the opportunity to start.

If having the higher rated draft pick is the measuring stick, UK and Levis wins

If having the better season matters, Penn State and Clifford attained that this year.

He was eligible for the draft last year after 1 season at UK. Why wasn't he a heralded day 1 pick in last year's weak draft class? Why did that occur in the month later?

Hype.

His arm strength and quick release were going to get him drafted regardless of where he played his football. UK did offer the opportunity to start.

If having the higher rated draft pick is the measuring stick, UK and Levis wins

If having the better season matters, Penn State and Clifford attained that this year.
He wasn’t going to get drafted at all if he stayed at Penn State. Backups that almost never play, especially ones that sit behind a guy that will either be a late round pick or not drafted at all, don’t get drafted.

I think you’re probably correct. Levis literally had more rushing attempts than pass attempts as a QB at PSU. That’s hard to imagine a backup QB was used more to run instead of throwing the ball. He made a good decision for himself by transferring and earning the starting position two years in a row at Kentucky. He will get an excellent opportunity in the NFL to prove himself.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

In 4 years he had 4 different coordinators, and as soon as he was evaluated by a different staff he almost immediately became a Day 1 NFL draft pick, per experts, while the guy who was allegedly better than him will be hitting the streets to find a regular job. Best wishes to them both!!!
So was Ryan Leaf…how’d that work out? So it was the coordinators’ fault? How about in high school because he wasn’t really heavily recruited either. The guy who was allegedly better than him had better stats, so yes, he was better. How they did in college is what matters, not potential in the NFL. Even if Levis goes on to become a Hall of Famer in the NFL, that doesn’t make his college results any better.

I watched most Kentucky games the last two years because I was interested in how he did. I thought he was a good college QB. I don't see NFL greatness but who knows. I do hope he is successful just like everybody else. The fact is that the odds are against them all.

I watched most Kentucky games the last two years because I was interested in how he did. I thought he was a good college QB. I don't see NFL greatness but who knows. I do hope he is successful just like everybody else. The fact is that the odds are against them all.
Same here. Watched several of his games. He looked pretty good in some, not so on others. Didn’t look like a 1st rounder to me but announcers loved his arm strength, accuracy on the move and mostly drooled over his quick release.

Hope gets picked top ten and has great career. Always seemed like a good young man.

Levis should not be judged a vacuum---
So much depends on Levis receiving corps @ Kentucky that was very limited, only one receiver Wandale Robinson is playing on a NFL roster---
Clifford was blessed with Gesicki, Robinson, Dotson, Godwin, Washington, Hamler, & Friermuth among others---
Kentucky was 10-3 in his JR year with wins over Florida, Iowa, LSU, & South Carolina---That got the attention of the NFL gurus---
Levis SR year was less distinguished but he played without his his injured RB, Rodriguez, for the 1st 6 games & he played through shoulder, ribs, & leg injuries for the remaining 6 games---
So only time will tell just how good he may be, but needs a team that provide some protection---

Clifford was blessed with Gesicki, Robinson, Dotson, Godwin, Washington, Hamler, & Friermuth among others---

Clifford was here a long time, but he didn't have Gesicki, Robinson, nor Godwin to throw to.

Levis may have only had 1 NFL target in '21, but he had NFL quality OL blocking for him that year. 4 of those guys were gone in '22 and even with a WR corp that was overall better (minus an A1 stud) he struggled.

I agree so many variables that don't reflect game conditions, dropped passes, fumbles, special teams play, all that bear on game outcomes---
That's why this will be exciting to see how the combine, draft, and NFL season play out---
Jury may be out for 2-3 years---

Just thinking ---
The NFL has 32 teams ---
The odds of becoming the best quarterback
in any given year 32:1 ---
Tom Brady 8th round selection overcame the
odds !!!

Yeah, and they put up basically the same stats over the last two years as well.....Levis draft status is based all upon projection based upon traits. It's a complete gamble, and very rarely works in the NFL. Usually, the pros look at great production, and then look at the traits to see if they will translate to the NFL.
It's the rare bird that doesn't put up great numbers in college but does so in the NFL. Josh Allen is going to keep getting GMs fired...

Levis may be a top 5 draft pick, yet the starting SF 49er rookie QB in the National Conference title game was the last player picked in the 2022 draft? (Brock Purdy)

Hmmm..
Yep, and they made a projection on Lance like others are doing with Levis. Granted, Levis has at least played P5 football. Hated the Niners trade at the time to draft him as well.

QB Matt Cassell comes to mind that played very sparingly at USC behind Matt Leinhart---
Cassell held his own with the Chiefs for the most part as a pro QB---
Not sure what round he was selected in the draft that year---

ADVERTISEMENT