ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

North Carolina didn't take a QB last year and supposedly wants to take 2 this cycle so Ruder to NC may still be in play. He just wrapped his Florida State visit and loved it (as I would expect him or any other recruit to say after any visit).

I'd be willing to bet we don't have room right now with Lamb still higher up on the board.
I doubt that is it. Lamb is projected as an Inside guy where Asamoah is an outside guy. My thought is they think they can do better later in the recruiting cycle.

I doubt that is it. Lamb is projected as an Inside guy where Asamoah is an outside guy. My thought is they think they can do better later in the recruiting cycle.
Well, our linebacker personnel has tended to be pretty fluid in the Franklin era - most of our linebackers under Franklin have been able to play both inside and outside competently.

I also suspect the staff likes their chances with Raines and thinks he may end up as a linebacker. Lamb, Tarburton (who I think sticks at LB in the near future), Katshir and Luketa would be a pretty good haul at LB, and I don't think they would want to go with more than five LBs in this class.

Well, our linebacker personnel has tended to be pretty fluid in the Franklin era - most of our linebackers under Franklin have been able to play both inside and outside competently.

I also suspect the staff likes their chances with Raines and thinks he may end up as a linebacker. Lamb, Tarburton (who I think sticks at LB in the near future), Katshir and Luketa would be a pretty good haul at LB, and I don't think they would want to go with more than five LBs in this class.
Obviously, the Rivals site isn't always accurate. It has Asamoah listed at 6' and he isn't a thick kid either. I just can't see him playing inside. I just think they maybe looking in another direction. I could be wrong.

So here we go, this kid has us in his top 6, first I've heard of him? CJF has back up plans for back up plans, it's almost scary, I love it!
247 has Alim listed at 6'2" 272. His video shows him playing DE and MLB. He looks to have quick feet and moves well. CBs have UNC and Duke leading (maybe his dad's a college basketball ref:)).

Nittany Lions set to host 4-star DE John Waggoner
A busy weekend lies ahead for the Penn State staff, which welcomes high school prospects for camp events Friday and Saturday. Though he won’t participate in on-field activities, 4-star West Des Moines (Iowa) DE John Waggoner told Land of 10 he will be on campus Friday.

The 6-5, 230-pound Dowling Catholic (West Des Moines) High product is considered the No. 1 overall rising senior in his home state, per 247Sports’ 2018 composite rankings. Waggoner, the No. 9 weakside DE in those rankings, would seemingly fill a role similar to recent 4-star commit Dorian Hardy, who joined the Nittany Lions’ class Sunday.

The in-state Iowa Hawkeyes are viewed as a primary contender here, though interest continues to mount across Big Ten territory and beyond. Arkansas, Florida, LSU, Ohio State and Oklahoma are among programs that have extended offers since March.

Waggoner recorded 12 tackles for loss, 8 sacks and 1 interception as a junior, according to 247Sports.

Nittany Lions set to host 4-star DE John Waggoner
A busy weekend lies ahead for the Penn State staff, which welcomes high school prospects for camp events Friday and Saturday. Though he won’t participate in on-field activities, 4-star West Des Moines (Iowa) DE John Waggoner told Land of 10 he will be on campus Friday.

The 6-5, 230-pound Dowling Catholic (West Des Moines) High product is considered the No. 1 overall rising senior in his home state, per 247Sports’ 2018 composite rankings. Waggoner, the No. 9 weakside DE in those rankings, would seemingly fill a role similar to recent 4-star commit Dorian Hardy, who joined the Nittany Lions’ class Sunday.

The in-state Iowa Hawkeyes are viewed as a primary contender here, though interest continues to mount across Big Ten territory and beyond. Arkansas, Florida, LSU, Ohio State and Oklahoma are among programs that have extended offers since March.

Waggoner recorded 12 tackles for loss, 8 sacks and 1 interception as a junior, according to 247Sports.

I'd love to see Waggoner sign with us if for no reason other than to hear the Hateful Hawkeye fan base bitch and moan about our football recruiting prowess as much as they do now in wrestling.

Was just on campus

idc.gif

Step 1 is complete.

QB Tyler Slough commited to UNC according to RLR per Wiltfong.

My big issue with Ruder is his passing production against seemingly weak competition. He was a 50% passer, 1598 yards, 14 TDs, 8 INTs.

His film showed a spread offense and those numbers don't jump out. Stevens had similar numbers as a junior, but was also playing in a 1980s style HS offense.

Penn State has a long history of recruiting QBs with all the measurables but weren't but very accurate or productive in HS.

Maybe Ruder will be different, but I view Leary as the safer bet between the two QBs in terms of projecting them at the next level. I just wonder what the staff isn't seeing in Leary, or if it's simply a matter that they can wait Leary out a little longer until they find out if Fields has any intention of visiting PSU this Summer.

And if the lack of offer to Leary is because he is pro style, Fordham didn't always have super mobile QBs either under Moorhead. His best QB, Nebrich, was a record breaking 3,000 yard passer for Lake Braddock in VA

Wiltfong CBd Raines to the Gators today? He is visiting on Monday? Did he see the bag of cash they are going to hand him? It just seems odd you would CB a player who has yet to visit.

I just read on espn.com that Tosu got a commitment from highly ranked matthew jones. He is their "4th top-25 recruit", per espn. Penn State was said to be in the mix for jones.

Franklin is recruiting very well, but when you look at how Tosu is recruiting, did Franklin get the boost in recruiting you expected from the 2016 season?

I know that Tosu has meyer, but they are recruiting extremely well given that they didn't win the b1g, had a mediocre offense, and were embarrassed in the playoff last year. While I expected them to continue to recruit well, I thought they would see a bit of a drop-off after last season. You would think they had a much better performance in 2016.

I just read on espn.com that Tosu got a commitment from highly ranked matthew jones. He is their "4th top-25 recruit", per espn. Penn State was said to be in the mix for jones.

Franklin is recruiting very well, but when you look at how Tosu is recruiting, did Franklin get the boost in recruiting you expected from the 2016 season?

I know that Tosu has meyer, but they are recruiting extremely well given that they didn't win the b1g, had a mediocre offense, and were embarrassed in the playoff last year. While I expected them to continue to recruit well, I thought they would see a bit of a drop-off after last season. You would think they had a much better performance in 2016.

I have said this before on TOS, but I was very close to a kid who played at PSU. He had offers from everywhere. He flat out told me every SEC and BIG12 school who offered him offered him some kind of financial reward. He said there were "only" two BIG schools who offered him money. Meyer is a great recruiter and a great coach who has all the resources of a school obsessed with football behind him. AND they cheat like hell. There is no way PSU will ever equal these football factories on an annual basis. Like Joe knew we can beat them enough of the time to be competitive as long as we bring in the right kind of kids.

Reactions: LukeIamYourFather

Big keys for OSU are - recent National Championship, tons of guys in the NFL (will start to happen soon for CJF), and they've been to two of the first three college football playoffs. This is why when everyone was fine settling for USC we should have been lobbying hard for that playoff spot. Of course, it hasn't helped Oregon or Michigan State much.

We're recruiting better and more consistent than ever, but still playing catch up with the elites.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
This may be the most ridiculous case of homerism/spin/bullshittery I've ever seen. This guy is a recruiting analyst? Guys - looks like we need to get CJF recruiting players for their mindset too! HINT: You can tell by their shirts!

Last edited by a moderator:

Getting a boost has allowed Penn State to seemingly closing the gap, but tOSU, Bama, and a few others are still way ahead of the pack. It would take at least 3 or 4 years of playing for conference championships and contending for playoff berths in order to be on par with these programs.

I have said this before on TOS, but I was very close to a kid who played at PSU. He had offers from everywhere. He flat out told me every SEC and BIG12 school who offered him offered him some kind of financial reward. He said there were "only" two BIG schools who offered him money. Meyer is a great recruiter and a great coach who has all the resources of a school obsessed with football behind him. AND they cheat like hell. There is no way PSU will ever equal these football factories on an annual basis. Like Joe knew we can beat them enough of the time to be competitive as long as we bring in the right kind of kids.
I think O$U saw PSU on top with a BIG title and an elite #1 class and Meyers send out the word (not directly, that might be tracked) to their big money donors on the targets, Parsons being one. One by one they are buying the recruits that they want. The question is going to become, can you keep in check the egos and wants of a bunch of mercenaries? I think this is what precipitated the unraveling at UF.

Getting a boost has allowed Penn State to seemingly closing the gap, but tOSU, Bama, and a few others are still way ahead of the pack. It would take at least 3 or 4 years of playing for conference championships and contending for playoff berths in order to be on par with these programs.
Good Grief

You know that O$U was most recently blown out 31-0 by a team that Pitt beat while putting up 43 on their D which besides making O$U the ONLY team in history to not put up a single point in a BCS game also proves they never belonged.

There must be $ome other rea$on$ recruit$ have $hort memorie$?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT