ADVERTISEMENT

2019-2020 Premier League thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defeat at Villa Park saw Liverpool exit a competition for the first time this season, but for stand-in boss Critchley, the bigger picture was about the experience his young players gained.

"Try telling those players in that dressing room that it was a bad thing for them," Critchley said. "You can't swap that experience for anything, that was a special evening for them and we are the beneficiaries of the success of the first team."

The kids might have lost, but the seniors continue to march on -- runaway leaders of the Premier League, reigning European champions and 90 minutes away from being crowned the kings of the world for the first time. For those 20 fans who clocked up the frequent flier miles on Wednesday, this victory in Doha made it all worthwhile.

Oh, and then there is also this!

Red Bull Salzburg winger Takumi Minamino will have a Liverpool medical on Wednesday and is set to join the Premier League leaders on 1 January.

The Japan international, 24, is thought to have a release clause of £7.25m.

Minamino has scored nine goals and provided 11 assists in 22 appearances for Salzburg this season.

He played in both of his side's Champions League group games against the Reds this season, netting in the 4-3 defeat at Anfield in October.

Liverpool won 2-0 in Salzburg on 10 December to secure their place in the last 16 of the competition, where they will face Spanish side Atletico Madrid.

Despite playing against the Reds in this season's Champions League, Minamino would be eligible to play for the European champions in the knockout stages of the tournament following a rule change by Uefa last year.

The Japanese, who Liverpool believe is worth more than treble his release clause, would also bolster a squad 10 points clear of second-placed Leicester City at the top of the Premier League, as the Reds look to win their first top-flight title since 1990.

The rich get richer!

:)

Liverpool target Sander Berge has opened the door to a January move by stating he would be open to leaving Genk.

Berge impressed Reds boss Jurgen Klopp in Champions League action and has also been linked with Napoli.

The Norwegian midfielder has largely remained tight-lipped on his future with reports he could be pursued by Liverpool in January in order to provide cover for the injured Fabinho.

Chelsea have also been linked now their transfer ban has been lifted - and Berge admitted in the Belgian press he would be open to a move either in January or the summer despite insisting no concrete talks have yet taken place.

The 21-year-old told Het Laatste Nieuws : "Winter or summer, every transfer period there is a lot of speculation about my future. But at the moment, there’s nothing concrete, and that’s just the truth.

"Playing Champions League with Racing Genk was a dream come true for me, but it’s not because that adventure is over that I absolutely want to leave now.

"If the right club comes forward and puts the right amount on the table for me then we can talk.

"Otherwise I’ll just stay with Racing Genk until the end of this season.”

Oh my my!

LaJollaLion better stay in ICU, at least, until 2025!!!

:);):);):);):)

Ah, with all this recruiting hype going on, this happened today:

LIVERPOOL 2

Monterrey 1

FIFA Club World Cup action.

Where's Arsenal???

:):):):)
80389384_1448819368618793_4404655374850850816_o.jpg

Reactions: TheGLOV
Takumi Minamino interview | 'It's been my dream to become a Liverpool player'

Chris Shaw @__ChrisShaw

Takumi Minamino is determined to hit the ground running when he officially becomes a Liverpool player on January 1, as he aims to bring his trophy-winning habit with him from Red Bull Salzburg.

After five years in the Austrian Bundesliga, each of which included title success, the 24-year-old Japan international will bolster Jürgen Klopp’s squad for the second half of the season.

Minamino completed a medical and signed a long-term deal with the Reds at Melwood on Wednesday after the two clubs reached an agreement for his transfer.

He also sat down with Liverpoolfc.com for an exclusive interview to discuss his ambitions at Anfield, the prospect of working with Klopp and how his two appearances against Liverpool this term have only inspired him more.

Liverpool will make a check on the fitness of Virgil van Dijk and Georginio Wijnaldum to determine if they are fit to feature in Saturday's FIFA Club World Cup final with Flamengo, Jürgen Klopp has confirmed.

Van Dijk was forced to sit out Wednesday's semi-final victory over Monterrey due to illness, while Wijnaldum was sidelined with the muscle injury he picked up against Watford last weekend.

But speaking at his pre-match press conference in Doha on Friday, Klopp said: "We will see.

"Virg was part of training today, Gini had a session today. We will see how it will look at the end. We have no new injury concerns.

"How you can imagine, it was Wednesday night when we played and now it's Friday, so we use each hour for recovery and all that stuff. That's what we did and we will see who we can line up tomorrow."

Trent Alexander-Arnold is determined to help Liverpool seize a rare opportunity to record a first in the club’s history as they bid to lift the FIFA Club World Cup this weekend.

The Reds take on Flamengo in Saturday’s final in Qatar aiming to secure a trophy they have never before won in their illustrious 127-year history.

It is, therefore, a prospect Alexander-Arnold feels is hugely significant for the current squad – and one he is eager to try and ensure they take full advantage of.

He told Liverpoolfc.com in Doha ahead of the game: “I’m excited. We’re in a good position, we’ve got a lot of momentum right now, we’re confident in ourselves, in our ability, and this is where we want to be as a team – in these competitions.

“If you think back to Liverpool teams [of the past], these kind of games don’t come up too often. For us, it is exciting and a chance to create history as the first team to win it for the club and that’s something you don’t have the privilege of doing usually because of the history of the club. For us, it’s a big opportunity.

“World champions would be something to be proud of and we have an opportunity to be the first Liverpool team to do that. As I said, there aren’t many things that haven’t been done in the past, so for us it’s a massive opportunity.”

Liverpool booked their place in the final with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Monterrey at the Khalifa International Stadium on Wednesday.

It was a result that required a last-gasp strike from Roberto Firmino to seal the win, with Alexander-Arnold supplying a pin-point assist as the Reds continued their remarkable record of notching late goals this season.

“We’re in a good spell, we’re getting wins under our belt, we’re starting to get a few more clean sheets,” continued the No.66.

“Winning late on in games, scoring late goals, it’s the sign of a good team – not giving up and keeping going until the end. It’s something the manager has drilled into us and something the fans buy into, the players buy into, the whole club buys into.

“They’ve seen us be able to score late goals and keep going until the end. We need to keep that up and make sure we play until the final whistle – and we did that against Monterrey.”

Standing in Liverpool’s way of the trophy are Flamengo – Brazilian champions and Copa Libertadores winners.

Alexander-Arnold anticipates an entertaining contest against Jorge Jesus’ side, but is confident the Reds’ pre-match analysis will have them readied for what they will come up against.

He said: “You need to know the opponent’s strengths and weaknesses and they are a team that will never give up as well. It will be an interesting game and an exciting game too, with two really passionate sides going for what they want.

“They obviously have got a lot of support back home and out here, so it’s going to be a really good contest and one we’re not underestimating.

“We’re always focused on the opposition, we need to know more about them, we need to understand the ways they play and how our game-plan will adapt so we can hopefully win the game.”

Well, well, well,...……………..looks like Liverpool won another trophy today or should I say now yesterday?

Hmmmm, good guys 1 Boys from Brazil 0.

3 trophies now is it for 2019???

Rude??

mainer??

Grant???

Ole Royboy????

Liverpool lifted the FIFA Club World Cup for the first time on Saturday night after Roberto Firmino's extra-time goal defeated Flamengo in Qatar.

The 1-0 win made history for the current team under Jürgen Klopp and secured their third major trophy of 2019.

:)

Jordan Henderson took great pride in Liverpool's new title of world champions after he lifted the Reds' third major trophy of 2019.

A Roberto Firmino finish in extra-time finally defeated Brazilian opponents Flamengo in Saturday’s FIFA Club World Cup showpiece in Qatar.

The 1-0 result secured Liverpool’s first ever win in the tournament and prompted another Henderson trophy lift – this one for a global crown after Champions League and UEFA Super Cup triumphs earlier in the year.

“Very nice,” the captain told Liverpoolfc.com of his team’s new world champions status.

“I’m delighted that we’ve come here and done what we wanted to do and that’s win. We’ve had two tough games with extra-time but I thought the lads kept going and showed a great mentality again to find the winner.

“We had some great chances in the game but always kept going and always kept fighting and tried to find the breakthrough, so I’m delighted that we’ve managed to do that and keep the clean sheet.”

Liverpool’s players have spoken repeatedly of the motivation their Champions League triumph in June gave them to ensure that was not an isolated success.

Super Cup glory followed in August and their Club World Cup victory sits alongside a 10-point lead of the Premier League, with 16 wins from 17 matches, and a place in the Champions League last 16.

And Henderson insisted the Reds must use their 47th major trophy as fuel to continue to push on as they aim for even more silverware in the remainder of the season.

“From the summer we’ve kicked on again,” added the midfielder.

“We’ve kept going and we’ve used it to help us progress and used it to stay hungry. So we need to do the same with this one.

“We need to keep going, we’ve got a big game coming up in midweek and the games come thick and fast, so of course we can enjoy tonight but then tomorrow we’ve got to recover and get straight back on the focus of Leicester.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT