ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting 2023 OL Chimdy Onoh COMMITS to Penn State

Does anyone have any insight on how he got bumped up?

Early December he was an ODU commit. No P5 offers. Now he's a top 20 tackle prospect according to some. What happened?

Early December he was an ODU commit. No P5 offers. Now he's a top 20 tackle prospect according to some. What happened?
May have been as simple as a bunch of power 5 offers coming in all of the sudden.

What happened is he is not one of those guys that went to the pay for stars events but his films and stars were finally got views of his films (which takes actual work) ' the star maker machinery behind the popular player' to do a knock off of Joni Mitchell..he showed up at a few camps and his folks didn't didn't buy stars.. they waited exhibiting patience, I know there is little of that In a sport where only billionaires play. But hey, it appears that with patience values and talent ... When all the 'playa types' are off the board ... Well patience pays off. Good for him.

I think his point is that most OL are not ready to contribute right away, even top 100 overall players. Some are, but most aren't there yet. Now top WR recruits or RB recruits often are ready to contribute right away. Just how I read it.
There aren't many Orlando Paces out there, that's for sure. I thin every one of our O=line recruits in this cycle can wind up starting, a couple as early as sophomore year.

Online talent seems as strong as it has been in a while.

Seem like we are killing the Oline and Defensive backs in last few classes.
OL talent, yes. Online talent? I'll have to disagree there, have you seen the garbage content on this board recently?

Reactions: PSU621
Is he still 270 or had he put on some since that number? That’s light, he needs to add 30 or more. Probably be two years before he bills up enough.

I think his point is that most OL are not ready to contribute right away, even top 100 overall players. Some are, but most aren't there yet. Now top WR recruits or RB recruits often are ready to contribute right away. Just how I read it.
That was my point. Some do but some need time in the weight room. WRs the and RBs have a better chance to contribute early.

Is he still 270 or had he put on some since that number? That’s light, he needs to add 30 or more. Probably be two years before he bills up enough.
He already has started. at 18 years of age... If he has the frame... And muscle type ... 30 lbs in 16 months is a breeze. My brother between his matriculation and his sophomore year added 40 lbs...
Followed that with 20+ before his his Junior year. It won't take long to tell.

Yep, and obviously not Shelton or a few others.

Maybe he meant most freshmen 2 STAR OL recruits are projects.

:oops:
Agreed. I just don't agree on this one with the others and hopefully am proven wrong, but this program has had bomb after bomb with these Baltimore area o linemen and this is a project on top of all that.

His Senior Film came out and showed a world of improvement from his Junior Film to evaluators. They also valued his Shot Put and Discuss Maryland State Championship, and he's also ranked #12 nationally in Shot Put. So verified numbers that show explosion and good footwork. It's a similar reason to why J'ven is a 5* at TOS.

Last edited:
Guys like Williams and Birchmeier, are kids that will be ready to play this fall if needed. Onoh is more of a kid that by year three he’s ready to start.
That's not really a fair comparison because Williams and Birchmeier although ahead of most Olinemen in development and talent, they are also already enrolled which will allow them to put on muscle under the direction of the PSU S&C leadership for 6 months ahead of Fall practice as well as learn the offense and refine technique during Spring practice.

Onoh is reportedly a very good athlete for an OT prospect, but he won't arrive until the Summer which limits his prospects to get on the field in 2023 even if he improves his S&C some on his own before Fall camp.

Just have to be pleased that on paper Trautwein has put together the best PSU oline class in memory. Like every position, prospects don't all pan out, but this group will very likely mature into more OL starters and higher level players than most OL classes.

And with all the returning OL starters and contributors the staff may still try and redshirt all 4 of the 2023 class olinemen. The players that are ready to contribute can play in 4 regular season games and then play in the bowl game when a couple of the NFL bound players may choose to sit out to prepare for the NFL (unless PSU is in the 4 team playoff) and that seems like the best case scenario as it will take the returning players staying healthy and continuity usually leads to better performance with olines.......

Last edited:
That's not really a fair comparison because Williams and Birchmeier although ahead of most Olinemen in development and talent, they are also already enrolled which will allow them to put on muscle under the direction of the PSU S&C leadership for 6 months ahead of Fall practice as well as learn the offense and refine technique during Spring practice.

Onoh is reportedly a very good athlete for an OT prospect, but he won't arrive until the Summer which limits his prospects to get on the field in 2023 even if he improves his S&C some on his own before Fall camp.

Just have to be pleased that on paper Trautwein has put together the best PSU oline class in memory. Like every position, prospects don't all pan out, but this group will very likely mature into more OL starters and higher level players than most OL classes.

And with all the returning OL starters and contributors the staff may still try and redshirt all 4 of the 2023 class olinemen. The players that are ready to contribute can play in 4 regular season games and then play in the bowl game when a couple of the NFL bound players may choose to sit out to prepare for the NFL (unless PSU is in the 4 team playoff) and that seems like the best case scenario as it will take the returning players staying healthy and continuity usually leads to better performance with olines.......
I understand what you’re saying, but as someone who’s seen him play, it wouldn’t matter if he was coming in early or not. The league he plays in is not very good. He is a very good athlete as shown by his track numbers but he has not seen the size of defensive ends that he needs to. That’s more of the reason that I say he won’t be a viable candidate his first two years.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I understand what you’re saying, but as someone who’s seen him play, it wouldn’t matter if he was coming in early or not. The league he plays in is not very good. He is a very good athlete as shown by his track numbers but he has not seen the size of defensive ends that he needs to. That’s more of the reason that I say he won’t be a viable candidate his first two years.
There are many high school players that are a high cut above the level competition they play in high school. Players differing learning curves and some can be bulk up quickly and some can't. Time will tell the story for all recruits not us.

There are many high school players that are a high cut above the level competition they play in high school. Players differing learning curves and some can be bulk up quickly and some can't. Time will tell the story for all recruits not us.
A lot of the same was said about Journey Brown. He was a late offer IIRC. And many doubted he would pan out. Came from a small school in a weak conference. A couple years later he was on some peoples Heisman watch list until health issues ended his career.

True, I just want to temper some peoples expectations with him being a four-star. He seems like a very bright kid, he’s very athletic but going from playing 180 pound defensive ends who are lucky to bench 250 to play against 250 pound defensive ends who can bench 400 and run a 4.7 is much different.

True, I just want to temper some peoples expectations with him being a four-star. He seems like a very bright kid, he’s very athletic but going from playing 180 pound defensive ends who are lucky to bench 250 to play against 250 pound defensive ends who can bench 400 and run a 4.7 is much different.
Time will tell. Sean Farrell-Mike Munchak for example and many more over the decades. Farrell was the most heralded of the two and was a great player but Munchak not heralded yet exploded..demeanor..work-a-holic? time will tell.

Reactions: 19333lion
Time will tell. Sean Farrell-Mike Munchak for example and many more over the decades. Farrell was the most heralded of the two and was a great player but Munchak not heralded yet exploded..demeanor..work-a-holic? time will tell.
IIRC, Iorio was a walk on…..and started every game at center from his freshman year on.

Last edited:
IIRC, Iorio was a walk on…..and started every game at center from his freshman year on.
Seeing guys off the radar excell...have a growth spurt into another position and excell is one of the more interesting aspects of recruiting. If a highschool athlete has not yet experienced a growth spurt, which can be tracked, or is playing out of position, get them on campus and work them out. Your 1 or 2 star recruit can turn out to be a great get, especially if they come from small schools.

Seeing guys off the radar excell...have a growth spurt into another position and excell is one of the more interesting aspects of recruiting. If a highschool athlete has not yet experienced a growth spurt, which can be tracked, or is playing out of position, get them on campus and work them out. Your 1 or 2 star recruit can turn out to be a great get, especially if they come from small schools.
Who was the guy that entered college at 6’ 2”, 210 and left at 6’ 8” and 270? Played several years in the NFL started with the Browns. There was another guy that was recruited as QB and grew so much he ended up playing d line……he kept his QB number the whole time and drove me nuts playing d line with a QB number!

Reactions: GregInPitt
Who was the guy that entered college at 6’ 2”, 210 and left at 6’ 8” and 270? Played several years in the NFL started with the Browns. There was another guy that was recruited as QB and grew so much he ended up playing d line……he kept his QB number the whole time and drove me nuts playing d line with a QB number!
I was thinking about the kid who played opposite Courtney Brown. Played QB at Upper Merion, and wound up playing TE, DT, and DE for Penn State. I can't quite recall his name but he was a hell of a player. Bad knees slid him down in the draft and cost him a long career with the Bears.

I was thinking about the kid who played opposite Courtney Brown. Played QB at Upper Merion, and wound up playing TE, DT, and DE for Penn State. I can't quite recall his name but he was a hell of a player. Bad knees slid him down in the draft and cost him a long career with the Bears.

It would be interesting to read comments if this young man went elsewhere? Wish him the best along with the rest of this class.

Brad Scioli. Tough as nails and a good athlete.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT