ADVERTISEMENT

2023 schedule 9th STRAIGHT year opening on road

WGAF....I mean, would you rather have Michigan's schedule where they play back to back road games on two different occasions in 2023? Their November is harsh. I'd rather get a couple of the B1G road games early and done with. So much complaining by our program...can't wait to see when the schedule is reversed, we get a home opener, and then roadies are clustered later in the year, how everyone will be then.

Maybe I just don't understand...why does anyone care if we open the Big Ten portion of the season on the road or at home? I could understand if those games were played week one but it's often week 4. As long as we're not on the road the last game of the season every year I'm happy.

Next year we have 5 road Big Ten games--if we started at home I'd be unhappy we had 8 conference games left with on 3 at home.

Their November is harsh

Purdue is going to lose 16+ 4th/5th/6th year starters. Primarily, O’Connell will be gone. Unless they bring in a QB, definitely a rebuild year.

Maryland also should lose Taulia and 2, maybe 3 WRs. Doubt they are as good next year, but I'd have to research their schedule.

Is their November in '23 any different than our '22 October?

WTF?

Well, at least we got that bye week to prepare for U-Mass.

Mean-Girls-Wtf-GIF-by-Gunpowder-Sky-downsized.gif

13 of the last 14 years, we have opened Big 10 play on the road. For a supposed random scheduling system, it sure doesn't feel random.
Okay but does it matter? Honestly, do you feel like it's a negative thing? I'd be content if we opened Big Ten play every year on the road forever unless those games are always week 1.

Okay but does it matter? Honestly, do you feel like it's a negative thing? I'd be content if we opened Big Ten play every year on the road forever unless those games are always week 1.

Between OSU and Michigan, one of them has opened conference play on the road 8 times and the other 6. How is it not a negative? Particularly when they purposely schedule OSU/Michigan for the final regular season week every year.

Why? How?
do your research. look at the records. starting off with a tough B1G road game, W or L, is taxing. Purdue, Wiscy and Indy were all tough games. Had we played Indy, we'd have won that game. Go back and look at prior years.

Regardless of the teams, it also sucks for the fans. The more games, earlier at home, are much better for the fans.

Reactions: MacNit07
My thoughts...

1. Opening up the conference schedule on the road is not really a big deal if it's not opening week. You are going to have the same number of home/road games no matter where they are scheduled.

1b. Of course, it's a different story when the first conference game is opening week. Week 1 is when teams are most uneven and still piecing things together and there are greater chances for upsets - adding a road element as well makes it more likely to have a team get that first conference loss and would definitely be a disadvantage. So, I think many upset by this trend had it heightened due to opening the season for the first game the last two years at Wisconsin and at Purdue (we also opened up 2020 on the road in conference but COVID and all so all games were conference games).

2. That said, even if opening on the road for conference play isn't a big deal, it's still exceedingly impossible for it to happen this way by random chance. So the optics are ridiculous. I know it's easy for fans to complain about conspiracies but this just doesn't happen randomly and the conference should have to defend how it has happened.

3. I actually like this schedule a lot better than the original 2023 one, including moving up UMass. It is much better to end the season with MSU than either Rutgers or Maryland, helps to spread out the difficulty in the schedule.

I'm guessing UMass is the homecoming game.

For the record, PSU was set to open conference play 2016 and 2017 with home games, but moved the games with UM in 2016 and Iowa in 2017 forward to avoid having bye weeks too early. Both were conference road openers but moved by PSU. We still open the season too often on the road and it should be addressed, but the "8 in a row and 13/14" narrative isn't technically all on the B1G.

Reactions: doctornick
That said, even if opening on the road for conference play isn't a big deal, it's still exceedingly impossible for it to happen this way by random chance. So the optics are ridiculous. I know it's easy for fans to complain about conspiracies but this just doesn't happen randomly and the conference should have to defend how it has happened.

Our AD spoke out on this after taking the job at media days (i think). The least they could have done is placate us for one year before sticking it to us the next 7 in a row.

For the record, PSU was set to open conference play 2016 and 2017 with home games, but moved the games with UM in 2016 and Iowa in 2017 forward to avoid having bye weeks too early. Both were conference road openers but moved by PSU. We still open the season too often on the road and it should be addressed, but the "8 in a row and 13/14" narrative isn't technically all on the B1G.

11/14, if what you say is true, is still more than the 8 and 6 it's happened to OSU and Michigan, no?

Reactions: nittanymoops
11/14, if what you say is true, is still more than the 8 and 6 it's happened to OSU and Michigan, no?
What part of "we still open the season too often on the road and it should be addressed" was unclear?

I was just addressing the accuracy of it all. It's been a problem since 1993 actually, not just the Franklin era.

Reactions: lazydave841
How is Iowa back on the schedule again? It seems like we always play them but rarely play Nebraska.

I had forgotten about this, but it is true: https://www.mcall.com/sports/penn-state/mc-penn-state-football-future-schedule-changes-story.html

Edit: still, even if you want to consider 2016 and 2017 years where we opened at home in conference, it is still 6 years in a row and counting and 11/14 which shouldn't happen randomly.

Last edited:
How is Iowa back on the schedule again? It seems like we always play them but rarely play Nebraska.

The scheduling model the Big Ten has been using since going to 9 conference games has been a 6 year cycle. During the 6 year cycle a team will play a single opposite division team all 6 years. The other 6 teams in the other division will be played once at home and once away over the 6 years. For 2016-2021, it was Iowa that we played every year. The plan was for 2022-2027 that we would be playing Illinois every season - we didn't play them in 2022 though due to late changes to reflect the weirdness of the 2020 schedule. specifically, we were supposed to play Northwestern in 2020 but did not; we did play Illinois that year as our "extra" game the last week when we were not going to play them in 2020. As a result, for 2022, we dropped Illinois and picked up Northwestern.

We are playing Iowa in 2023 as part of the rotation of getting them twice in 2022-2027 (we would then play them on the road in 2026). We were supposed to play Nebraska and Wisconsin in 2024 (and again in 2027). The scheduled from 2024 and beyond will be completely different though with USC/UCLA coming on board and reportedly the removal of divisions.

Purdue is going to lose 16+ 4th/5th/6th year starters. Primarily, O’Connell will be gone. Unless they bring in a QB, definitely a rebuild year.

Maryland also should lose Taulia and 2, maybe 3 WRs. Doubt they are as good next year, but I'd have to research their schedule.

Is their November in '23 any different than our '22 October?
PSU and OSU in November...also Consecutive road games that late in the year… the point of my reply was the people complaining about opening up on the road in big 10 play. I would rather have our schedule than have 2 sets of conference road games like Michigan does

Reactions: lazydave841
Wow, it’s neat to play WVU after all these years, but I see WVU is mediocre this season. It seems like perhaps they will be a tuneup game for the conference schedule.

The 9th straight conference opening road game fits in nicely with the terrific decision to put the 4 top programs in the conference in the same division. At the least the B1G leadership and admin are consistent.
SEC = chess
B1G = checkers

Reactions: Jerry
Between OSU and Michigan, one of them has opened conference play on the road 8 times and the other 6. How is it not a negative? Particularly when they purposely schedule OSU/Michigan for the final regular season week every year.
Explain the negative impact?
I'm not saying you're wrong I just don't see it at all. Why does it matter if it's not week 1?

do your research. look at the records. starting off with a tough B1G road game, W or L, is taxing. Purdue, Wiscy and Indy were all tough games. Had we played Indy, we'd have won that game. Go back and look at prior years.

Regardless of the teams, it also sucks for the fans. The more games, earlier at home, are much better for the fans.
I like cold weather games better personally so that's an individual preference
Hoping at Purdue this year was a great thing for us

Explain the negative impact?
I'm not saying you're wrong I just don't see it at all. Why does it matter if it's not week 1?

Because it's an early road game. Why did Ohio State schedule 5 straight home games to start this year? Wouldn't it benefit them to split the road trips up?

No. Stay home as much as possible. Work out all the kinks.

Because it's an early road game. Why did Ohio State schedule 5 straight home games to start this year? Wouldn't it benefit them to split the road trips up?

No. Stay home as much as possible. Work out all the kinks.

They probably would have loved an early road game instead of 4 of 6 after that. Didn't they open on the road against Minnesota last year which is comparable to us and Purdue this year? We just completely disagree. I'd be thrilled if we opened every Big Ten season on the road. I don't see the "problem". I think this is just something people want to complain about honestly.

I had forgotten about this, but it is true: https://www.mcall.com/sports/penn-state/mc-penn-state-football-future-schedule-changes-story.html

Edit: still, even if you want to consider 2016 and 2017 years where we opened at home in conference, it is still 6 years in a row and counting and 11/14 which shouldn't happen randomly.

To counter, the home opener against Rutgers was only at home because it was part of the previously scheduled home and home and the Big Ten left it when they entered the conference. Otherwise we would have opened on the road.

They probably would have loved an early road game instead of 4 of 6 after that. Didn't they open on the road against Minnesota last year which is comparable to us and Purdue this year? We just completely disagree. I'd be thrilled if we opened every Big Ten season on the road. I don't see the "problem". I think this is just something people want to complain about honestly.

Yet they set their schedule up for 5 straight home games to start.

13 of 14 is just crap. Nebraska has been in the conference for a decade now. Have they opened on the road 9 of 10? If you can't see the slight in that OSU and Michigan have only done this 6 and 8 times in the same 14 year period then you have to be trolling me. No advantage to opening on the road 92.8% of the time exists. I'm not talking about the opponent. I'm not talking about any of that. Strictly the #.

I'd rather play OSU week 1 every year for the next 10. At least then it should be rotated proper.

Yet they set their schedule up for 5 straight home games to start.

13 of 14 is just crap. Nebraska has been in the conference for a decade now. Have they opened on the road 9 of 10? If you can't see the slight in that OSU and Michigan have only done this 6 and 8 times in the same 14 year period then you have to be trolling me. No advantage to opening on the road 92.8% of the time exists. I'm not talking about the opponent. I'm not talking about any of that. Strictly the #.

I'd rather play OSU week 1 every year for the next 10. At least then it should be rotated proper.
Why do you keep saying they set up 5 straight at home? Are you claiming they determine when their Big Ten schedule is played?

And I don't care about the number. I don't see any difference because it's not always week 1. If it was always week 1 I'd agree with you.

I'd be fine with the Ohio State plan especially when the playoff goes to 12.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT