ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting 2025 WR target Lex Cyrus Commits to South Carolina

We all gotta pay to play! NIL is for real and if we don’t get some donors get ready for PA kids to go to the SEC and Texas schools.

Reactions: bison13
Franklin was a WR coach at the highest level, why can't we get WRs?

Because high-level WRs want to play with high-level QBs. And our QB development is sub-par.

Trace definitely turned out well, but our QB development since 2017 hasn't been good.

A real shame, because we've had more solid WRs than most Big Ten programs. But until we show that we have a 21st century passing game, we probably can't expect big time WRs to flock our way. One here or there, but not with regularity.

Meh. We have seen enough 5'10" and 165 lbs wideouts, and I bet this kid will regret going far away from home for a program like Sout Carolina.
Not much of a risk anymore, he can just transfer in a year to wherever he wants anyway.

Reactions: aworsnup
Because high-level WRs want to play with high-level QBs. And our QB development is sub-par.

Trace definitely turned out well, but our QB development since 2017 hasn't been good.

A real shame, because we've had more solid WRs than most Big Ten programs. But until we show that we have a 21st century passing game, we probably can't expect big time WRs to flock our way. One here or there, but not with regularity.
Agree with this. We have had competent, good QB play but not elite, program lifting QBs. We never have, that's not PSU's identity and never has been. But the elite teams almost always have elite, dynamic, head-turning QB play with just a few exceptions. We hoped Allar would be that guy but he isn't there yet, but he's also only started 1 season. Hopefully we see improvement this year but we are making it harder on him with our WR situation.

Reactions: bdgan and b&w1987
We need Williams out of Texas now. That may be a part of why Cyrus went to South Carolina because he felt we were more interested in Williams. I'm completely guessing here. This is a surprise as he had been favored to go to PSU for a while. I actually thought he had committed to us so the long drag out of his commitment was not working in our favor. South Carolina obviously picked up momentum over the last few months.

I liked his speed the most. He was very fast on film and reminded me of Hamler. Well, as I said hopefully we land Williams.

We need Williams out of Texas now. That may be a part of why Cyrus went to South Carolina because he felt we were more interested in Williams. I'm completely guessing here. This is a surprise as he had been favored to go to PSU for a while. I actually thought he had committed to us so the long drag out of his commitment was not working in our favor. South Carolina obviously picked up momentum over the last few months.

I liked his speed the most. He was very fast on film and reminded me of Hamler. Well, as I said hopefully we land Williams.
I don't see him as a loss. What is concerning is that in another thread Baylor is now trending for Taz Williams because they are allegedly throwing big NIL $ his way.

Last edited:
Agree with this. We have had competent, good QB play but not elite, program lifting QBs. We never have, that's not PSU's identity and never has been. But the elite teams almost always have elite, dynamic, head-turning QB play with just a few exceptions. We hoped Allar would be that guy but he isn't there yet, but he's also only started 1 season. Hopefully we see improvement this year but we are making it harder on him with our WR situation.
South Carolina is not on the same level we are talent wise. This was not about our QB position being weak or we can't develop QBs. Not saying we are awesome at developing QBs just this is not the reason Cyrus did not choose us. Like South Carolina has had a parade of NFL QBs from over the last 10 years. Just disappointing we are missing with all these in-state kids.

Reactions: ram2020
I don't see him s a loss. What s observing is that in another thread Baylor is now trending for Taz Williams because they are allegedly throwing big NIL $ his way.
Didn't know that but has Baylor even been in the the recruitment picture? Just showing up out of the blue with NIL I don't think works. You need to have established a relationship. He announces in like 2 days so he either has had an ongoing relationship with Baylor and this could be real or this is just a bad rumor. Why would they have not even be listed as one of his top picks 2 days ago. Yes, I understand NIL but schools just don't come from nowhere, that doesn't happen.

We will soon have a team of all stars from Pa that have told Psu they weren’t good enough for them, hmmm

Cliff was good in 2019 and in his super senior year.

You can’t be serious.

I miss Daryll Clark and the spread HD offense.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Cliff was good in 2019 and in his super senior year.

The fact that his best year was in 2019 sorta bolsters my case. He regressed throughout his career.

I do agree he was better in 2022 than in 2020-21. That's the advantage of being a 24 year-old college QB, and plus -- that's a fairly low bar. But even in 2022, the huge mistakes he'd make in key moments really prevented him from being an upper tier QB in the Big Ten.

I'm glad he rallied enough in 2022 to get himself drafted, but the promise he showed in 2019 didn't result in the upward trajectory I think we all expected. I don't think that has helped our QB recruiting.

I can tell you with certainty that our QB situation is being used against us on the recruiting trail. 5 years of Sean Clifford + last year's Allar experience isn't helping our cause, and it's not hard to see why big time WRs would opt for offenses that can actually push the ball down field.
You and everyone else with this anti-Allar agenda are ridiculous.

If Allar had two more years of exactly the same stats as 2023, he would hold the following ranks in the all-time PSU record books:

#4 in passing yards
#3 in touchdowns
#4 in passing attempts
#3 in passing completions
#3 in completion percentage

That's with zero improvement, for instance via additional experience, better skill players, and stable/competent coaching. Drew did just fine with the hand that he was dealt, and it's unfortunate that he wasn't redshirted in 2022 given his low # of snaps.

Now Clifford should have been benched for Stevens, and again for Levis, but even he wasn't terrible. And the rest of the record holders are Clifford, McSorley, Clark, Hackenberg, and a sprinkling of Mills and McGloin. So one could argue that Penn State is in its Golden Age of Quarterbacks (regardless of how that compares to other colleges and/or the NFL), so how you didn't jump ship by the early 2000s is beyond me!

I can tell you with certainty that our QB situation is being used against us on the recruiting trail. 5 years of Sean Clifford + last year's Allar experience isn't helping our cause, and it's not hard to see why big time WRs would opt for offenses that can actually push the ball down field.
Allar is projected to be the #2 overall pick in the 2025 NFL draft.

Meh. We have seen enough 5'10" and 165 lbs wideouts, and I bet this kid will regret going far away from home for a program like Sout Carolina.

I’m guessing he will regret South Carolina during workouts in July, August, and September in Columbia. ;)

Allar is projected to be the #2 overall pick in the 2025 NFL draft.

Josh Allen was a top-10 pick. Go look at his productivity in college. NFL teams very often value physical tools and potential over college productivity.

Allar struggled enormously against legit teams last year. Never even exceeded 50% completion percentage in his games against Ohio State, Michigan, and Ole Miss. He had a QB rating of less than 125 in 6 of his 13 games last year.

But hey, he totally lit up WV, Maryland, and Michigan State.

I don't blame it all on him. Our system was an absolute joke last year, and hopefully the change at OC improves the situation. But our WRs aren't developing at all, and not since 2017 has Franklin's offense really popped in the passing game. It's not that hard to see why we're struggling to recruit top-tier WRs given all that.

Reactions: bison13 and ram2020
You and everyone else with this anti-Allar agenda are ridiculous.

If Allar had two more years of exactly the same stats as 2023, he would hold the following ranks in the all-time PSU record books:

#4 in passing yards
#3 in touchdowns
#4 in passing attempts
#3 in passing completions
#3 in completion percentage

That's with zero improvement, for instance via additional experience, better skill players, and stable/competent coaching. Drew did just fine with the hand that he was dealt, and it's unfortunate that he wasn't redshirted in 2022 given his low # of snaps.

Now Clifford should have been benched for Stevens, and again for Levis, but even he wasn't terrible. And the rest of the record holders are Clifford, McSorley, Clark, Hackenberg, and a sprinkling of Mills and McGloin. So one could argue that Penn State is in its Golden Age of Quarterbacks (regardless of how that compares to other colleges and/or the NFL), so how you didn't jump ship by the early 2000s is beyond me!
I didn't interpret his post as anti Allar at all. Blue chip recruits don't get excited about the #3/4 all time PSU QB when PSU QBs typically put up far less stats than even pedestrian QBs at other QB factory schools.

For example, McSorley holds the PSU single season passing yards record at 3614 yards. That doesn't even put him in the top 100 of all time NCAA single season passing yards. PSU gets good, not great QBs as that's always been our ceiling. That's not a knock on our guys, we've had some good QBs under Franklin in particular, but they don't compare to what the elite QBs do nationally. Part of it is the system we run and not necessarily a lack of talent. But that system isn't going to attract top QBs and top WRs when they can go to places that pass for 5000+ yards a season.

Reactions: NittanyIllinois
I didn't interpret his post as anti Allar at all. Blue chip recruits don't get excited about the #3/4 all time PSU QB when PSU QBs typically put up far less stats than even pedestrian QBs at other QB factory schools.

Yeah, it's definitely not "anti-Allar" in the sense that I think he's terrible or anything. He has a TON of potential -- thus the NFL draft hype. And I think he's a very good QB who would probably be putting up much bigger numbers if given different circumstances.

But his performance was dreadful in the big games, and a big part of that is our WR situation and our offensive scheme in general. It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation. Was Allar so bad in the OSU and Michigan games because his WRs couldn't get open? Or were his WRs non existent because Allar couldn't get them the ball with accuracy? It's not entirely one column or the other.

Many on here have argued that Pribula is probably better for this system, just as Trace was a better QB for Franklin's system than Hack -- even though Hack was far more naturally gifted and talented as a QB prospect. I don't know if I agree with that, and I think Allar will improve from last year. But the 25-2 TD/INT ratio doesn't mean much when he was a massive no-show in the big games (part his fault, part his WR's fault, part his coach's fault).

Yeah, it's definitely not "anti-Allar" in the sense that I think he's terrible or anything. He has a TON of potential -- thus the NFL draft hype. And I think he's a very good QB who would probably be putting up much bigger numbers if given different circumstances.

But his performance was dreadful in the big games, and a big part of that is our WR situation and our offensive scheme in general. It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation. Was Allar so bad in the OSU and Michigan games because his WRs couldn't get open? Or were his WRs non existent because Allar couldn't get them the ball with accuracy? It's not entirely one column or the other.

Many on here have argued that Pribula is probably better for this system, just as Trace was a better QB for Franklin's system than Hack -- even though Hack was far more naturally gifted and talented as a QB prospect. I don't know if I agree with that, and I think Allar will improve from last year. But the 25-2 TD/INT ratio doesn't mean much when he was a massive no-show in the big games (part his fault, part his WR's fault, part his coach's fault).
It was a number of factors, your rationale in your last sentence is spot on. Halfway through the season it was clear we lacked WRs that could consistently get separation , stretch the field, win contested balls, etc. Maybe Wallace is that guy but unfortunately due to injuries we didn't get to see it, and our portal additions were a total bust. I don't blame Allar for getting a little gun shy given he didn't have guys he could count on. He did miss seeing open guys periodically too, which is probably a combo of things like lack of experience, adjusting to the speed of the college game, and what seemed to be extreme risk aversion for possible turnovers. Those things are addressable with repetition and coaching, I expect he'll be better this year. Then add in that we ran a pretty conservative offense that didn't try to stretch the field much. I think we were largely in self preservation mode in those 2 big games because the coaches didn't have confidence that we had the difference makers on offense to take those games over, so instead they tried to just hang around and hope to be in the game late. It also seems that our OC wasn't calling the plays as Franklin had discussed with him during game planning, hence his mid season firing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT