ADVERTISEMENT

24 Bowl Games played this far:

StinkStankStunk

Oct 11, 2010
AVERAGE number of points scored by winning team......40
AVERAGE number of points scored by LOSING team.....26

MEDIAN number of points scored by winning team.....44
MEDIAN number of points scored by LOSING team.....28

It has been an offensive orgy throughout the bowl season.......doesn't bode well for an offensively limited team like PSU.

Reactions: fairgambit

It has been an offensive orgy throughout the bowl season.......doesn't bode well for an offensively limited team like PSU.
Maybe there's hope. In their last 6 games GA put up 9,3,27,20,23,13/16 ppg.

Georgia doesn't exactly have Baylor's offense either. This is going to be a defensive battle. Two healthy starting defensives ends should help us be competitive.

All about the match-ups.

You are EXACTLY right, I posted that a few days ago. Was fun watching Navy and Reynolds and was very glad we didn't have to be chasing him all day. We coulda scored some pts but I think the final result would have looked a lot like, well, the final result with Pitt.

Georgia, we match up pretty well and have a shot at not having a four game losing streak hanging over our heads for the next eight months.

Rididculous to think that. Our defense is much better than Pitt's. They looked clueless out there. Plus our QB can throw the ball. They have (had) Boyd, but he averaged 10.2 ypc this year. Ridiculous, but because they have limited other weapons. I'l

Marshall beat UConn 16-10, so you can still win, if you can play good defense. I again playing good defense seems to be a foreign concept. I don't think offenses have gotten better, I think defenses have gotten worse.

I was saddened to see that the thread didn't take an abrupt turn after the words "offensive orgy."

Reactions: mn78psu83

Only 5 ranked teams have played so far. Usually ranked teams have pretty good defenses, which is how they got to be ranked in the first place.

Reactions: mn78psu83
As has been said...UGA's offense isn't exactly great. I like our boys in a game where Hack can and will be the best QB UGA has faced all year.

All about the match-ups.

Yes, it points to the fact that record is somewhat a function of the schedule you play as much as anything else - especially true for the P5 Conferences. Even in the Invitational Tournament, the records are not meaningful because they were built against wholly disparate schedules. Clemson being undefeated doesn't mean squat when going up against the B12 Champion - it likely means they are the best team in the ACC but little else. Same is true in match-ups between a 7-5 or 8-4 team versus a 5-7 team - while these teams have proven they are not at the top of their conference and that they are squarely in the middle of their conferences, it really doesn't say much else (e.g., often the teams are pretty evenly matched as the team with the 5-7 record could have had a 7-5 or 8-4 record but for a couple key plays). However, this also shows what BS the BCS is attempting to propagate by saying they finitely know who the 4 absolute best teams are when all the teams are from different conferences and playing wholly disparate schedules. All of the P5 Conference Champions should be included in a playoff and there should probably be 3 "play in" games for the other 5 Conference Champions plus an additional "at large" selection made by the Selection Committee.

Rididculous to think that. Our defense is much better than Pitt's. They looked clueless out there. Plus our QB can throw the ball. They have (had) Boyd, but he averaged 10.2 ypc this year. Ridiculous, but because they have limited other weapons. I'l

Our D is better then Pitt's, but I think Illinois is right, we would have trouble against that option. Our D does have trouble wrapping up ball carriers at times. NW game showed this.

Ridiculous to not think that. We haven't stopped or slowed down ANY QB that can run all year long and Reynolds is one of the best if not THE BEST in the country. Plus our tackling got worse as the season progressed.....much worse.

Our Offense would have been a good match up against the Navy Defense, no question. But I think Navy's Offense would have embarrassed and exposed PSU's Defense.....especially our linebackers.

Ridiculous to not think that. We haven't stopped or slowed down ANY QB that can run all year long and Reynolds is one of the best if not THE BEST in the country. Plus our tackling got worse as the season progressed.....much worse.

Our Offense would have been a good match up against the Navy Defense, no question. But I think Navy's Offense would have embarrassed and exposed PSU's Defense.....especially our linebackers.

The Triple Option is shutdown more by scheme than individual players. Hard to believe that PSU wouldn't have had a much, much, much better scheme. Army runs a very similar offense to Navy and PSU limited their Triple Option Attack to 261 Rushing and 293 Total Yards and importantly forced 3 Army turnovers on fumbled option pitches. The fact that Navy's Triple Option Scheme was never even remotely pressured (no turnovers or even remotely forced bad pitches - highly unusual for a Triple Option which is a high-risk offense in regards to turnovers) and the fact that ASWP got torched for 471 Rushing Yards (590 Total Offensive Yards) strongly suggests that ASWP's scheme royally sucked and never put players in a position to stop the Triple Option and make plays. Contrary to your claim, the evidence suggests that CJF had a much better defensive scheme and gameplan against the Triple Option Attack - lightyears better and I highly doubt Navy would have beat PSU with this high school offense. The reason no pro teams run the offense is that properly schemed with decent athletes that can pursue, the offense can be completely shutdown and quite literally sucks - it's a "gimmick offense" that teams with thin talent run, but there's a reason you don't see it at all in the Pro's and you rarely see it in FBS - never with the "elite teams".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT