ADVERTISEMENT

24 Team Playoff

LandoComando

Nov 29, 2021
Here's what a 24 team playoff would look like
Would anyone not be excited about hosting Troy with the opportunity then to play K-State and possibly Utah or Washington to get the the semifinals against Georgia than playing in the Rose Bowl against Utah for pride?
The FCS does it the right way

Conference Champs

Byes
Georgia (SEC)
Michigan (Big Ten)
Clemson (ACC)
Utah (Pac XII)
Kansas State (Big XII)
Tulane (American)

Others
Troy (Sun Belt)
UTSA (CUSA)
Fresno State (MWC)
Toledo (MAC)

At large

Byes
Ohio State (Big Ten)
Alabama (SEC)
Others
TCU (Big XII)
USC (Pac XII)
Tennessee (SEC)
Penn State (Big Ten)
Washington (Pac XII)
Florida State (ACC)
Oregon State (Pac XII)
Oregon (Pac XII)
UCLA (Pac XII)
LSU (SEC)
South Carolina (SEC)
Texas (Big XII)

First Round Games

24 Toledo at 9 TCU (8 Tulane)
17 UCLA at 16 Oregon (1 Georgia)

21 Troy at 12 Penn State (5 Kansas State)
20 Texas at 13 Washington (4 Utah)

23 Fresno State at 10 USC (7 Alabama)
18 LSU at 15 Oregon State (2 Michigan)

22 UTSA at 11 Tennessee (6 Ohio State)
19 South Carolina at 14 Florida State (3 Clemson)

Last edited:
The regular season has demonstrated that only two teams are worthy of playing for the title. Why bother with additional games? This does not apply every year. What we need is a situational post-season, one that preserves the traditional bowls, returns the OOC component of the schedule to its former greatness and actively discourages conference expansion and realignment.

Most years, there is no more than four teams worthy of a playoff appearance. To be 100% honest, most years they are no more than two. Some years there are more. College football is very unique which is what makes it great. Historically, the regular season is the playoff and it worked far better than every idiotic scheme developed by the media to solve a problem that really didn't exist.

Yes, the old systems (plural) victimized Penn State more than any other program, perhaps more than all programs combined, but the pre-Bowl Alliance/Coalition system was far better than what we have had since and considerably better than the invitational we currently have.

Reactions: wilbury and joewp
The regular season has demonstrated that only two teams are worthy of playing for the title. Why bother with additional games? This does not apply every year. What we need is a situational post-season, one that preserves the traditional bowls, returns the OOC component of the schedule to its former greatness and actively discourages conference expansion and realignment.

Most years, there is no more than four teams worthy of a playoff appearance. To be 100% honest, most years they are no more than two. Some years there are more. College football is very unique which is what makes it great. Historically, the regular season is the playoff and it worked far better than every idiotic scheme developed by the media to solve a problem that really didn't exist.

Yes, the old systems (plural) victimized Penn State more than any other program, perhaps more than all programs combined, but the pre-Bowl Alliance/Coalition system was far better than what we have had since and considerably better than the invitational we currently have.
I don't know anyone wants to save the bowls. The current set up isn't good for FBS and they're slowly learning that. Hopefully the money pushes them to 24 but to each their own.

I don't know anyone wants to save the bowls. The current set up isn't good for FBS and they're slowly learning that. Hopefully the money pushes them to 24 but to each their own.
That is simply untrue, and demonstrably so. Most college football fans want bowl games. The top tier programs and their fans doesn't out of self-interest, pettiness and greed. Go ask a student, alum, player, coach or fan of Boise State or any number of lower tier programs. The bowls are good for FBS and better for all but a handful of programs than the playoffs. That is an objective fact.

That is simply untrue, and demonstrably so. Most college football fans want bowl games. The top tier programs and their fans doesn't out of self-interest, pettiness and greed. Go ask a student, alum, player, coach or fan of Boise State or any number of lower tier programs. The bowls are good for FBS and better for all but a handful of programs than the playoffs. That is an objective fact.
Why do they want bowl games? If there's a playoff those games are meaningless as Saban stated yesterday in a nice way.
Boise State wouldn't have preferred to have been in a playoff all those times and given a chance to win a title? It's how Gonzaga became a power in basketball
Stating bowls are better isn't a fact--it's an opinion that lacks logic.
Do you think Troy would rather be traveling to Penn State to try to prove they're a great team or playing Boise State in the Frisco Bowl?
You think UTSA doesn't want to play in a playoff rather than Air Force in the Armed Forces Bowl?
How about Tulane? How is a bowl against USC better than hosting a second round playoff game?
Explain how it's an objective fact the bowls are better for all these teams

Why do they want bowl games? If there's a playoff those games are meaningless as Saban stated yesterday in a nice way.
Boise State wouldn't have preferred to have been in a playoff all those times and given a chance to win a title? It's how Gonzaga became a power in basketball
Stating bowls are better isn't a fact--it's an opinion that lacks logic.
Do you think Troy would rather be traveling to Penn State to try to prove they're a great team or playing Boise State in the Frisco Bowl?
You think UTSA doesn't want to play in a playoff rather than Air Force in the Armed Forces Bowl?
How about Tulane? How is a bowl against USC better than hosting a second round playoff game?
Explain how it's an objective fact the bowls are better for all these teams
How do you think schools like Boise State get to the level that they currently are? If a team like Tulane were to take the next step, how would it do that without the exposure of a bowl game? Here is a hint. You are wrong. Go tell a Tulane offensive linemen the Cotton Bowl doesn't matter. I dare you.

How do you think schools like Boise State get to the level that they currently are? If a team like Tulane were to take the next step, how would it do that without the exposure of a bowl game? Here is a hint. You are wrong. Go tell a Tulane offensive linemen the Cotton Bowl doesn't matter. I dare you.
They would get the exposure of playoff games including at home
What are you talking about?
What's more important a Cotton Bowl or a 2nd round playoff game at home
You know you're wrong that's why you're trying to now claim bowls are relevant when we all know they aren't because there's a playoff.

They would get the exposure of playoff games including at home
What are you talking about?
What's more important a Cotton Bowl or a 2nd round playoff game at home
You know you're wrong that's why you're trying to now claim bowls are relevant when we all know they aren't because there's a playoff.
You couldn't be more wrong. Do you really think a team like Tulane or Boise State rises up without Bowl games? What about the MAC? Do you think the average Northwestern fan wants bowl games to go away? No, they don't. Those that do are not representative of the whole, not even close. Bowl games are relevant. You just don't want them to be. Say TCU get through and wins the mythical invitational. The playoffs are no less relevant than the old system which offered far less controversy so really, it is more relevant.

You couldn't be more wrong. Do you really think a team like Tulane or Boise State rises up without Bowl games? What about the MAC? Do you think the average Northwestern fan wants bowl games to go away? No, they don't. Those that do are not representative of the whole, not even close.
If there's a playoff that's better than a bowl. They could have made a deep run--again, see Gonzaga. Or Butler
Northwestern would have made the playoffs multiple times which is better than a Rose Bowl
The MAC gets a playoff bid with a 24 team playoff which is better than the Motor City Bowl.

You couldn't be more wrong. Do you really think a team like Tulane or Boise State rises up without Bowl games? What about the MAC? Do you think the average Northwestern fan wants bowl games to go away? No, they don't. Those that do are not representative of the whole, not even close.

If there's a playoff that's better than a bowl. They could have made a deep run--again, see Gonzaga. Or Butler
Northwestern would have made the playoffs multiple times which is better than a Rose Bowl
The MAC gets a playoff bid with a 24 team playoff which is better than the Motor City Bowl.
You are arguing a hypothetical. Do you really think a MAC team gets an automatic bid to a college football playoff? Be serious. You know that wouldn't happen.

You are arguing a hypothetical. Do you really think a MAC team gets an automatic bid to a college football playoff? Be serious. You know that wouldn't happen.
Yes, in a 24 team playoff all conference winners are included--see above
That's the entire point of it--to include all conference winners yet all relevant teams.

Would anyone not be excited about hosting Troy with the opportunity then to play K-State and possibly Utah or Washington to get the the semifinals against Georgia than playing in the Rose Bowl against Utah for pride?

Conference Champs

Byes
Georgia (SEC)
Michigan (Big Ten)
Clemson (ACC)
Utah (Pac XII)
Kansas State (Big XII)
Tulane (American)

Others
Troy (Sun Belt)
UTSA (CUSA)
Fresno State (MWC)
Toledo (MAC)

At large

Byes
Ohio State (Big Ten)
Alabama (SEC)
Others
TCU (Big XII)
USC (Pac XII)
Tennessee (SEC)
Penn State (Big Ten)
Washington (Pac XII)
Florida State (ACC)
Oregon State (Pac XII)
Oregon (Pac XII)
UCLA (Pac XII)
LSU (SEC)
South Carolina (SEC)
Texas (Big XII)

First Round Games

Is it surprising that no one watches the FCS playoff?

Is it surprising that no one watches the FCS playoff?
People watch but they're smaller schools with smaller fan bases so less people watch. Are you pretending ratings wouldn't be insanely better than bowl games?

Why not design a playoff format where every game is a bowl game. The minor bowl games played by lesser ranked opponents. Top ranked teams getting byes with eventually the winner playing in 2 or 3 bowl games and the major bowls rotating for the final game which they do now? So everyone eligible gets to play in a bowl game. Then the minor bowl games actually mean something.

Yes, in a 24 team playoff all conference winners are included--see above
That's the entire point of it--to include all conference winners yet all relevant teams.
I’m in. All conference champs.

And I’d be happy to tell a Tulane player the Cotton Bowl doesn’t matter compared to a first round playoff game vs TCU. I’m positive the player agrees completely, because if he wins, he plays again.

Reactions: LandoComando
I’m in. All conference champs.

And I’d be happy to tell a Tulane player the Cotton Bowl doesn’t matter compared to a first round playoff game vs TCU. I’m positive the player agrees completely, because if he wins, he plays again.
Exactly

The Bowl Cartel has been successful for many years protecting their Bowl executives 5 day work year and multi-million dollar salary. No force on earth will keep the Bowls from being involved in college football for all eternity.

Conference Champs

Byes
Georgia (SEC)
Michigan (Big Ten)
Clemson (ACC)
Utah (Pac XII)
Kansas State (Big XII)
Tulane (American)

Others
Troy (Sun Belt)
UTSA (CUSA)
Fresno State (MWC)
Toledo (MAC)

At large

Byes
Ohio State (Big Ten)
Alabama (SEC)
Others
TCU (Big XII)
USC (Pac XII)
Tennessee (SEC)
Penn State (Big Ten)
Washington (Pac XII)
Florida State (ACC)
Oregon State (Pac XII)
Oregon (Pac XII)
UCLA (Pac XII)
LSU (SEC)
South Carolina (SEC)
Texas (Big XII)

First Round Games

Football doesn't lend itself to that many games like basketball does. I like an 8 team playoff but it looks like we're getting a 12 team playoff. A 24 team playoff isn't likely.

I remember when the NCAA opposed any playoff because more games took kids away from academics.

Reactions: LionFan87b
Football doesn't lend itself to that many games like basketball does. I like an 8 team playoff but it looks like we're getting a 12 team playoff. A 24 team playoff isn't likely.

I remember when the NCAA opposed any playoff because more games took kids away from academics.
^^^ THIS ^^^
24 teams is crazy. 11 game regular season + upto 5 additional playoff games.
IMHO, a 24 team playoff would require a shorter regular season.
A shorter regular season would require conferences to have fewer games, or schools to have fewer payday games which i don't see happening for obviou$ rea$on$.
The 24th ranked team has no chance to win a championship and it's unnecessary to play this game. Taking $$ out of it, if the goal is to ensure that teams with a perceived legit chance to win (think UCF & W Mich a few years ago) aren't left out, I think you can achieve it with 6, as I've detailed in the past, but 12 unquestionably would encompass every team with a chance, that has earned it through regular season play.
Humbly, with a 12 team playoff, I'd like to see regular season schedules go back to 11 games (B1G to go back to 8 conference games) and Conferences choose to kill Championship games. This would allow big schools and small schools to continue to benefit from payday games that fund AD budgets and it would also allow good 'P5' OOC games to not be a total detriment to making the playoff.

Reactions: bdgan

See FCS...they'll expand past 12 very quickly IMO
Money trumps all

^^^ THIS ^^^
24 teams is crazy. 11 game regular season + upto 5 additional playoff games.
IMHO, a 24 team playoff would require a shorter regular season.
A shorter regular season would require conferences to have fewer games, or schools to have fewer payday games which i don't see happening for obviou$ rea$on$.
The 24th ranked team has no chance to win a championship and it's unnecessary to play this game. Taking $$ out of it, if the goal is to ensure that teams with a perceived legit chance to win (think UCF & W Mich a few years ago) aren't left out, I think you can achieve it with 6, as I've detailed in the past, but 12 unquestionably would encompass every team with a chance, that has earned it through regular season play.
Humbly, with a 12 team playoff, I'd like to see regular season schedules go back to 11 games (B1G to go back to 8 conference games) and Conferences choose to kill Championship games. This would allow big schools and small schools to continue to benefit from payday games that fund AD budgets and it would also allow good 'P5' OOC games to not be a total detriment to making the playoff.
The 24th ranked team is likely a MAC or Sun Belt champ that would absolutely prefer that to playing a meaningless bowl game.
I do agree CCGs should be crushed but I think people need to prepare for a larger playoff--it's coming sooner than later.

24 is crazy - it's not very feasible in football, it is less dollars as you would have to shorten the regular season as others have said, and simply will never happen.
I would rather see 3 super conferences of 24 with post season tournaments of their own, and a final 8 team playoff. Imagine a B1G super conference with an 8 team playoff consisting of top 2 of each regoinal pod - ie. PSU and NC from east pod , OSU and UM from Lakes region, Purdue and Illinois from central, and USC and Oregon from the western pod. It would a fascinating conference post season to crown a champ before even getting to a national playoff. Perhaps decrease to 8 regular season conference games to seed the post season tournament and even run a losers bracket tournament to get to that 9th conference game for all. Possibilities are endless.

The bowls are dead...there is no saving them. They are no longer relevant in today game. It like trying to save the Big 33 game. You are not going to restore it. They will quietly exist for a while until they start folding.

Why? I don't care if you think Penn State realistically has a chance to win the national title I would rather see Penn State play at TCU then playing Utah in the best players opt out Rose Bowl. How exciting would it be to see Penn State upset TCU to advance to play Utah in the second round.

We could have on 12/17:
Tulane at Ohio State
Penn State at TCU
USC at Alabama
Kansas State at Tennessee

But instead we get these games with players and coaches opting out:
North Texas vs. Boise State
BYU vs. SMU
Southern Miss vs. Rice
Washington State vs. Fresno State
Florida vs. Oregon State
Louisville vs. Cincinnati

The bowls are dead...there is no saving them. They are no longer relevant in today game. It like trying to save the Big 33 game. You are not going to restore it. They will quietly exist for a while until they start folding.

Why? I don't care if you think Penn State realistically has a chance to win the national title I would rather see Penn State play at TCU then playing Utah in the best players opt out Rose Bowl. How exciting would it be to see Penn State upset TCU to advance to play Utah in the second round.

We could have on 12/17:
Tulane at Ohio State
Penn State at TCU
USC at Alabama
Kansas State at Tennessee

But instead we get these games with players and coaches opting out:
North Texas vs. Boise State
BYU vs. SMU
Southern Miss vs. Rice
Washington State vs. Fresno State
Florida vs. Oregon State
Louisville vs. Cincinnati
Those last games will occur anyway.

24 is crazy - it's not very feasible in football, it is less dollars as you would have to shorten the regular season as others have said, and simply will never happen.
I would rather see 3 super conferences of 24 with post season tournaments of their own, and a final 8 team playoff. Imagine a B1G super conference with an 8 team playoff consisting of top 2 of each regoinal pod - ie. PSU and NC from east pod , OSU and UM from Lakes region, Purdue and Illinois from central, and USC and Oregon from the western pod. It would a fascinating conference post season to crown a champ before even getting to a national playoff. Perhaps decrease to 8 regular season conference games to seed the post season tournament and even run a losers bracket tournament to get to that 9th conference game for all. Possibilities are endless.
It's not less money and again FCS does it. The money from a playoff is far greater than a home game against Akron

The 24th ranked team is likely a MAC or Sun Belt champ that would absolutely prefer that to playing a meaningless bowl game.
I do agree CCGs should be crushed but I think people need to prepare for a larger playoff--it's coming sooner than later.
Respectfully, if the goal is to determine the FBS champion, why do we care about the MAC/Sun Belt Champ that is ranked 24th and not remotely close to competing with the P5 conference champs?
Before USC/UCLA moving to the B1G and setting the stage for the B1G and SEC dominating CFB, my idea was a 6 team playoff.
This would consist of the 5 highest ranked conference champs (presumably the P5) with the 6th team coming from ND or the 6th highest ranked conference champ. Requirement to be ranked in the Top 12-15? If a 6th team didn't qualify, then it would be, begrudgingly go to the highest ranked non-conference champ.
First round is a home game for 3/4. Then go to the current 4-team bowl game/NCG structure.
Whatever happens, with realignment continuing, I think the only thing that is certain in CFB is that the structure of how a champion is crowned is going to change multiple times in the coming years.

It's not less money and again FCS does it. The money from a playoff is far greater than a home game against Akron
It does not benefit the whole, so the conferences would never agree to harm the revenue stream of the majority of their members. It simply would never happen.

I seriously doubt Tulane would rather play at OSU in the cold on the road in front of a hostile crowd with little chance to win than play in the Cotton Bowl at Jerry world with all the swag. I love the bowls watching Army, Navy, and the Air Force taking down power 5 teams. All the lower level teams like Coastal Carolina or Liberty would never get a chance to play in a bowl. I actually think they got it right with 12 teams having the bottom 8 battling it out to take on the top 4. Going beyond the top 12 would have huge mismatches and who wants to see OSU throttle Tulane at the shoe. Not me.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
I seriously doubt Tulane would rather play at OSU in the cold on the road in front of a hostile crowd with little chance to win than play in the Cotton Bowl at Jerry world with all the swag. I love the bowls watching Army, Navy, and the Air Force taking down power 5 teams. All the lower level teams like Coastal Carolina or Liberty would never get a chance to play in a bowl. I actually think they got it right with 12 teams having the bottom 8 battling it out to take on the top 4. Going beyond the top 12 would have huge mismatches and who wants to see OSU throttle Tulane at the shoe. Not me.
No guarantee Tulane wouldn't win. They already beat K State who'd be in the playoff

Respectfully, if the goal is to determine the FBS champion, why do we care about the MAC/Sun Belt Champ that is ranked 24th and not remotely close to competing with the P5 conference champs?
Before USC/UCLA moving to the B1G and setting the stage for the B1G and SEC dominating CFB, my idea was a 6 team playoff.
This would consist of the 5 highest ranked conference champs (presumably the P5) with the 6th team coming from ND or the 6th highest ranked conference champ. Requirement to be ranked in the Top 12-15? If a 6th team didn't qualify, then it would be, begrudgingly go to the highest ranked non-conference champ.
First round is a home game for 3/4. Then go to the current 4-team bowl game/NCG structure.
Whatever happens, with realignment continuing, I think the only thing that is certain in CFB is that the structure of how a champion is crowned is going to change multiple times in the coming years.
The break FBS into multiple levels. If it stays at 1 level all conf champs must be included or it's. Or legit
I also hate bowl game hosting games. They should be at the higher seed.

I'd like to see 8 conference winners feed into an 8 team playoff. Make the bowls bid for playoff games prior to the season. The money would come pouring in. Since there are 10 conferences I'd be ok with a system that gets all conference Champions into a real playoff. No lucky losers aka wildcards need apply.

ADVERTISEMENT