ADVERTISEMENT

Football 31 Thoughts and stats from Penn State’s 44-31 loss to Ohio State

Great job as usual. Although, a little easy IMO on things not being Clifford fault entirely. Did JT play lights out, yes....but a 6th year senior has to find a way to not turn the ball over in those situations. He has to be aware that the DE might be having the game of his life and just to stay away from him. Also, he has lost fumbles before so his pocket awareness should have been better of the strip sack.
Plain and simply, Clifford Shit the Bed on Saturday. There is no way to sugar coat it.

The lame excuses for Cliffords interceptions in the OP are pathetic.
The pass deflection interceptions were easily avoidable ...so was the one in the Minnesota game. Earlier in the season Cliff demonstrated the ability to drift to the side of a defender withboutstretch arms in front of him ..so has Allar. Cliff just forgot and shit the bed... the last few games. If, not for Parker Washington's magical acrobatics and abilities saving terrible passes.. Cliff might have only netted 150 yards total in the OSU game.

Great job as usual. Although, a little easy IMO on things not being Clifford fault entirely. Did JT play lights out, yes....but a 6th year senior has to find a way to not turn the ball over in those situations. He has to be aware that the DE might be having the game of his life and just to stay away from him. Also, he has lost fumbles before so his pocket awareness should have been better of the strip sack.
Plain and simply, Clifford Shit the Bed on Saturday. There is no way to sugar coat it.
Same old, same old for Clifford...he can play well in stretches, and then make bonehead mistakes that wipe out the good. Been that way for the kid's entire career.

The lame excuses for Cliffords interceptions in the OP are pathetic.
The pass deflection interceptions were easily avoidable ...so was the one in the Minnesota game. Earlier in the season Cliff demonstrated the ability to drift to the side of a defender withboutstretch arms in front of him ..so has Allar. Cliff just forgot and shit the bed... the last few games. If, not for Parker Washington's magical acrobatics and abilities saving terrible passes.. Cliff might have only netted 150 yards total in the OSU game.
Sure absolutely it’s his fault the ball was tipped at the line - but tell me what are the chances that ball is tapped across the line of scrimmage perfectly into the hands of Zach Harrison? How many times out of 10 does that happen?

The second pick is quite a bit on him and on Lee not coming back. Strip sack I said he needs better pocket presence but the right tackle was literally twisted like pretzel on the play. The pick six, Effner was throroighly was dominated again and it was an easy recognizable play. Clifford didn’t help himself on any of the plays but none were 100% on him.

I never excused Clifford once I simply said they weren’t 100% all on him.

Sure absolutely it’s his fault the ball was tipped at the line - but tell me what are the chances that ball is tapped across the line of scrimmage perfectly into the hands of Zach Harrison? How many times out of 10 does that happen?

The second pick is quite a bit on him and on Lee not coming back. Strip sack I said he needs better pocket presence but the right tackle was literally twisted like pretzel on the play. The pick six, Effner was throroighly was dominated again and it was an easy recognizable play. Clifford didn’t help himself on any of the plays but none were 100% on him.

The last interception was COMPLETELY on Clifford irrespective of whether Effner blocked well or not. Suggest you go back and watch Fields throw these type of passes AROUND the Cowboy defenders on Sunday and he ain't the second coming of Peyton Manning. Clifford got unlucky on the first one, but the second one was also on him. He was calling out a true frosh, Allen, for presumably either not coming back for the ball or failing to prevent the interception (not quite sure) but the fact is that the play was not going anywhere and thus he had to either throw it further outside or throw it away. The strip sack again demonstrated Clifford's lack of pocket presence. I have been one of Clifford's biggest defenders over the years, but the fact is the 4 turnovers were the critical determinant in the game plain and simple.

The last interception was COMPLETELY on Clifford irrespective of whether Effner blocked well or not. Suggest you go back and watch Fields throw these type of passes AROUND the Cowboy defenders on Sunday and he ain't the second coming of Peyton Manning. Clifford got unlucky on the first one, but the second one was also on him. He was calling out a true frosh, Allen, for presumably either not coming back for the ball or failing to prevent the interception (not quite sure) but the fact is that the play was not going anywhere and thus he had to either throw it further outside or throw it away. The strip sack again demonstrated Clifford's lack of pocket presence. I have been one of Clifford's biggest defenders over the years, but the fact is the 4 turnovers were the critical determinant in the game plain and simple.
I agree the four turnovers ultimately decided the game and simply cannot happen.

Reactions: JoePano19
TOSU had more depth and "upped" their game. We couldn't respond. SC, being a 37th year senior, tried to play outside of himself but couldn't he should really know better by this point. No excuses.

Tuimoloau was one of the highest-rated recruits in his year and is another frustrating leftover from bygone eras as he is one of Larry Johnson's boys.

Kudos to the kids for playing well. I think most would take that result if asked if they would accept PSU playing tOSU to the limit and still losing. Having said that, if you ain't first you're last. We lost...again. After 9 years with a coaching staff that is paid as well as any in the nation, that isn't good enough.

TOSU had more depth and "upped" their game. We couldn't respond. SC, being a 37th year senior, tried to play outside of himself but couldn't he should really know better by this point. No excuses.

Tuimoloau was one of the highest-rated recruits in his year and is another frustrating leftover from bygone eras as he is one of Larry Johnson's boys.

Kudos to the kids for playing well. I think most would take that result if asked if they would accept PSU playing tOSU to the limit and still losing. Having said that, if you ain't first you're last. We lost...again. After 9 years with a coaching staff that is paid as well as any in the nation, that isn't good enough.
I think your last line is what so many people on here that defend Franklin forget. For all of the apologists on here and I won’t name names, remember that Franklin is paid to perform at an elite level. There are three coaches in D1 who make more than Franklin and have been at the school longer than Franklin. They are Saban, Swinnney, and David Shaw. I will give you David Shaw at Stanford but generally you need to win at an extremely high-level to make the money Franklin makes and have the job security the Franklin has.

Dylan, I think you meant Allen instead of Lee.

Strongly disagree. Other than the 2nd INT, those turnovers are either not his fault (OL got blown up) or extremely fluky (tipped ball).

Strongly disagree. Other than the 2nd INT, those turnovers are either not his fault (OL got blown up) or extremely fluky (tipped ball).
I see everyone's point. I just expect a 6th year guy to find his way around it, or not fumble, etc....

Reactions: MacNit07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT