ADVERTISEMENT

48 Team Super League Concept

LandoComando

Nov 29, 2021
So I think this was the best version I heard while I was driving home today. Likely would never happen but way more likely than most of the proposals being floated around trying to college football as it is today.

48 team league with all the teams from the SEC and Big Ten included. The rest were primarily filled with ACC/Big XII/MWC schools. They would be broken up into 8 pods of 6. You always play your pod and then another pod tht rotates every two years so you get a home and home. You'd play every team outside your pod twice every 14 years which is good variety--just 5 games repeat every year.

The two pods playing that year form a division and the top 6 (half) make a 24 team playoff. 11 game season--all against your "division" then the playoff. They were saying Week 1 games would basically be a scrimmage against the 2nd tier as a money maker--which is already basically true.

Our "pod" was Penn State, Notre Dame, Missouri, Northwestern, Illinois and Indiana (I like the annual game with ND plus it keeps some balance with top teams and mediocre to subpar teams)
Years 1-2 we'd play (for example) the Ohio State pod which was Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin and Minnesota
Years 3-4 we'd play another pod--I think one was Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa and Utah
Some would be weaker than others--I like one had Maryland, Virginia, Rutgers, UNC, Clemson and South Carolina but that just gives the teams in the pod with them that year a great opportunity.

Either way--interesting concept that I think could gain some traction if done correctly and there was just one TV contract for all 48 programs

Reactions: NedFromYork
So I think this was the best version I heard while I was driving home today. Likely would never happen but way more likely than most of the proposals being floated around trying to college football as it is today.

48 team league with all the teams from the SEC and Big Ten included. The rest were primarily filled with ACC/Big XII/MWC schools. They would be broken up into 8 pods of 6. You always play your pod and then another pod tht rotates every two years so you get a home and home. You'd play every team outside your pod twice every 14 years which is good variety--just 5 games repeat every year.

The two pods playing that year form a division and the top 6 (half) make a 24 team playoff. 11 game season--all against your "division" then the playoff. They were saying Week 1 games would basically be a scrimmage against the 2nd tier as a money maker--which is already basically true.

Our "pod" was Penn State, Notre Dame, Missouri, Northwestern, Illinois and Indiana (I like the annual game with ND plus it keeps some balance with top teams and mediocre to subpar teams)
Years 1-2 we'd play (for example) the Ohio State pod which was Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin and Minnesota
Years 3-4 we'd play another pod--I think one was Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa and Utah
Some would be weaker than others--I like one had Maryland, Virginia, Rutgers, UNC, Clemson and South Carolina but that just gives the teams in the pod with them that year a great opportunity.

Either way--interesting concept that I think could gain some traction if done correctly and there was just one TV contract for all 48 programs
What did some of the deep south pods sound like?

Our pod sucks. I would not want those teams as yearly opponents.

One of the things I love about the new division-less and expended big 10 is the variety in our schedule. Having to play Indiana and Maryland and Rutgers every year, and to some extent Michigan State, was so boring. Now we will hardly have any repeats in our schedule at all… Ohio State and UCLA are the only two for next year, if my memory serves me. And whenever the 2026 schedule comes out, I’m sure there will be very few repeats from 2025.

If we have to have pods, I say make them even smaller. Put us in a 14 pod with Maryland and Rutgers and Ohio State… Or something like that. And then let us rotate every year with the Michigan pod, or the North Carolina pod, the Notre Dame pod.

One of the things I love about the new division-less and expended big 10 is the variety in our schedule. Having to play Indiana and Maryland and Rutgers every year, and to some extent Michigan State, was so boring. Now we will hardly have any repeats in our schedule at all… Ohio State and UCLA are the only two for next year, if my memory serves me. And whenever the 2026 schedule comes out, I’m sure there will be very few repeats from 2025.

If we have to have pods, I say make them even smaller. Put us in a 14 pod with Maryland and Rutgers and Ohio State… Or something like that. And then let us rotate every year with the Michigan pod, or the North Carolina pod, the Notre Dame pod.
That's fair--I mean, the pods were just this person's idea but I see how it could work

The only ACC teams should be Notre Dame, Miami, Clemson, and Florida State.

What did some of the deep south pods sound like?
You're testing my memory
I think they were
1 Georgia/Florida/Tennessee/Vanderbilt/Kentucky/USF (he was big on adding markets not big programs)
2 Alabama/Auburn/Ole Miss/Miss State/FSU/Miami
3 Oklahoma/Texas/Arkansas/LSU/Oklahoma State/???? (I'm drawing a blank here--I think BYU but not sure that makes sense--might have been Kansas or Louisville)
4 Maryland/Virginia/Rutgers/UNC/Clemson/South Carolina
5 Penn State/ND/Mizzou/Illinois/Northwestern/Indiana
6 Ohio State/Michigan/Michigan State/Minnesota/Wisconsin/Purdue
7 Oregon/Washington/Colorado/Nebraska/Iowa/Utah
8 USC/UCLA/Arizona/A&M then the two I disliked the most UNLV and Houston

The only ACC teams should be Notre Dame, Miami, Clemson, and Florida State.
UNC and UVa were the only other two he had--I think everyone includes them just because there's a ton of rumors about the SEC and Big Ten wanting them
I thought they were better than USF, UNLV or Houston though

26 and 27 conference slates are out baring more additions.

Reactions: NedFromYork
26 and 27 conference slates are out baring more additions.

Jesus--that 2026 schedule in particular is horrible. At Temple is still funny
2027 is a little better with the trip to Oregon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT