ADVERTISEMENT

58 years ago today

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
Olelion checked in at Shunk Hall as a Penn State freshman to begin one week of orientation. He opted not to wear the beanie at any time. Classes began on Oct. 3. My first home football game attended was against Boston College on Oct. 8. Paterno was in his first year as head coach leading the team to 5-5 record. That record was not as bad as it seems. The five losses were:
Michigan St. (9-0-1)
Army (8-2)
UCLA (9-1)
Syracuse (8-3)
Georgia Tech (9-2)

The only close loss was against Syracuse, 10-12. Best player after Mike Reid went down was probably sophomore Bob Campbell.

Can any of you youngsters imagine beginning classes in October? We were on quarters back then. A couple of key lines in the Alma Mater read, "as we stood at boyhood's gate" and "thou diidst mold us dear old state, into men, into men". Attire at football games was typically coat and tie and smart outfits for the young ladies

Olelion checked in at Shunk Hall as a Penn State freshman to begin one week of orientation. He opted not to wear the beanie at any time. Classes began on Oct. 3. My first home football game attended was against Boston College on Oct. 8. Paterno was in his first year as head coach leading the team to 5-5 record. That record was not as bad as it seems. The five losses were:
Michigan St. (9-0-1)
Army (8-2)
UCLA (9-1)
Syracuse (8-3)
Georgia Tech (9-2)

The only close loss was against Syracuse, 10-12. Best player after Mike Reid went down was probably sophomore Bob Campbell.

Can any of you youngsters imagine beginning classes in October? We were on quarters back then. A couple of key lines in the Alma Mater read, "as we stood at boyhood's gate" and "thou diidst mold us dear old state, into men, into men". Attire at football games was typically coat and tie and smart outfits for the young ladies
Wow! I was there with you. Shunk Hall 514. I roomed with a friend from high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT