ADVERTISEMENT

#70 - #72 - #66 - #73 need to be second team.....

retsio

Feb 18, 2003
Naples, FL
Why are they in the game at all -- they cannot block. Is CJF really saving anyone, or all of the redshirt linemen to start next season. On Hack's interception, he had an open receiver as the third option and did not have time to find him. The same type of missed opportunity has happened in previous games.

What happened to 'put your best players on the field'...and if the redshirt guys are better, let them learn in game situations. I am tired of seeing this OL blow assignments......the starters need to be replaced, now!!

Reactions: THEEHMANN
It all starts up front- these guys are just not consistent they look ok for about 3 or 4 plays then look bad the next 2 or 3, I don't think we have any guys that are going to play at the next level on the offensive line (maybe Nelson), you need 2 to 3 guys on the line that have a chance to play at the next level to win championships- we don't have them right now.

Why are they in the game at all -- they cannot block. Is CJF really saving anyone, or all of the redshirt linemen to start next season. On Hack's interception, he had an open receiver as the third option and did not have time to find him. The same type of missed opportunity has happened in previous games.

What happened to 'put your best players on the field'...and if the redshirt guys are better, let them learn in game situations. I am tired of seeing this OL blow assignments......the starters need to be replaced, now!!

Ummm, the redshirt guys aren't better.......

We are likely to see the same starters next year.

Reactions: Pocono Lion

I'm pretty sure those ARE the best guys on the team. I don't think Franklin is playing games with putting the best players on the field. Heck look at the all freshman and sophomores playing ahead of the JR's and SR's. I think Franklin has said countless times the other Olineman are not ready. I don't know what good that is going to do and see them screw up more then guys we are currently playing. This is why a coach needs several years to build his team.

BTW, somebody else posted on the web a run down of lineman we have on the bench and how they are doing. Can't post it as it is premium. Short of it is, the best guys are playing.

Easy now, their dads and cousins are on here, telling us how tough they are.

Be careful.

It all starts up front- these guys are just not consistent they look ok for about 3 or 4 plays then look bad the next 2 or 3, I don't think we have any guys that are going to play at the next level on the offensive line (maybe Nelson), you need 2 to 3 guys on the line that have a chance to play at the next level to win championships- we don't have them right now.

Really not impressed with Nelson either and wonder why all the hype over him. If he is the best OL we have, no wonder this group is so bad. As posted previously, there were two NW DL in our backfield from the left side to tackle SB for a two yard loss which put us in 2nd and "12" again. Not LB's, safeties, but DL. How is the hell does this happen!

Reactions: THEEHMANN
Easy now, their dads and cousins are on here, telling us how tough they are.

Be careful.
Not as tough as you Guns. You are calling people out on the board. I know. Get in touch with you if you want to go man a mano. At 6' 3" 230 with a 310 bench and a cannon for an arm that would make Uncle Rico cower in shame, suffice it to say that I don't want any part of that can of whoop ass. :D

Really not impressed with Nelson either and wonder why all the hype over him. If he is the best OL we have, no wonder this group is so bad. As posted previously, there were two NW DL in our backfield from the left side to tackle SB for a two yard loss which put us in 2nd and "12" again. Not LB's, safeties, but DL. How is the hell does this happen!
Pretty sure when he played he was playing on one leg

Reactions: mn78psu83
Ummm, the redshirt guys aren't better.......

We are likely to see the same starters next year.

this is what I have been saying. the OL will be the same guys next year - AM. this assumes they all come back for RS-SR years.

scary - what does this say re recruiting OL. Bama routinely has a couple guys FR/SO in starting group.

We are soft. That's how it happens.

Sorry Mr Gaia and Mr Mahon.

Actually, it was from the side of Mangiro and Palmer. Really pathetic to see a pair of DL shooting the gaps like that. You are right. we are soft!

I'm pretty sure those ARE the best guys on the team. I don't think Franklin is playing games with putting the best players on the field. Heck look at the all freshman and sophomores playing ahead of the JR's and SR's. I think Franklin has said countless times the other Olineman are not ready. I don't know what good that is going to do and see them screw up more then guys we are currently playing. This is why a coach needs several years to build his team.

Re:best players on the field. Barkley rode the pine for the Temple game.

Laurent, who played very well, didn't see action until the 5th game or so.

If none of the RS Frosh are better than Gaia at this point, it means Hand isn't developing them very well.

this is what I have been saying. the OL will be the same guys next year - AM. this assumes they all come back for RS-SR years.

scary - what does this say re recruiting OL. Bama routinely has a couple guys FR/SO in starting group.

It says Hand isn't getting it done. But that Twitter profile tho....

They would be. IF we had a 1st team OL.

Reactions: mn78psu83
My guess would be that Palmer needs another year or two to gain strength in his legs. He cannot move well enough laterally to sustain a pass block, but with forward momentum he can bury a defender in run blocking. He's not unusual among kids that have grown to be extremely tall.

My guess is that this is also why the younger recruits are still on the bench. The (rare) freshman/sophomore OTs that are "ready" typically wind up at programs like Alabama. For everyone else, it takes several to find one whose potential pans out, and then only after 3 or 4 years in the program.

O'brien's (lack of) OL recruiting really hurt this team. It even hurt the defense, since the offense cannot sustain drives that eat up the clock.

A short-passing game that spreads the field and contains some misdirection would help, but we also don't have the types of receivers/TEs (other than Godwin) that can fight through tight coverage at the line. And since our OL gets dominated physically, defenders can block short passes that much easier.

Bottom line: Without an OL we must rely on the big play -- someone getting beat down field, or Barkley breaking through a gauntlet and getting into the secondary. When neither happens, we get what happened in the first half yesterday.

Re:best players on the field. Barkley rode the pine for the Temple game.

Laurent, who played very well, didn't see action until the 5th game or so.

If none of the RS Frosh are better than Gaia at this point, it means Hand isn't developing them very well.
Those are weak examples. Complaining about a true freshman not stasrting in the first game considering he is clearly the starter now. Is Wendy L really an upgrade? That's debatable. If that's the best you can come up with, I'm pretty sure my point is valid. What about last year as well? I can't say Franklin is not playing the best players and obviously neither can you.

Reactions: royboy

The reality is any REAL OL help is at least 2 years away. Next year I think the entire team will take a step backwards. WHY? same OL, DL will not be very good, Hack gone. On a positive note most of the current "average" players will be a year older, so there's that :) AND a few true freshman will help.

Those are weak examples. Complaining about a true freshman not stasrting in the first game considering he is clearly the starter now. Is Wendy L really an upgrade? That's debatable. If that's the best you can come up with, I'm pretty sure my point is valid. What about last year as well? I can't say Franklin is not playing the best players and obviously neither can you.
How can anyone be worse than Gaia? When he's not missing assignments he's getting blown up. One play yesterday he got blown up so bad he practically tackled Barkley.

The reality is any REAL OL help is at least 2 years away. Next year I think the entire team will take a step backwards. WHY? same OL, DL will not be very good, Hack gone. On a positive note most of the current "average" players will be a year older, so there's that :) AND a few true freshman will help.

Who you going to put in his place? I think everyone sees the issue. Bates is too small right now. Gozo maybe but it was known he needed work coming into camp. Wright is hurt. Brosnan I don't know much about. Not to much to choose from. Franklin said it many times. There is no easy fix.

I really don't want to pile on 72 but on the 2nd and 4 where Barkley got 3 yards at first I thought it was a great shoestring tackle by the NW linebacker to keep him from getting outside.

Well the LB did make a really nice play to wrap Barkley's lower legs but if 72 who was out in front had been able to occupy him for just a second Barkley easily makes the first down. Very frustrating to see.

I'm not so sure we get worse if Hack leaves and we have the same OL. We may actually get a backfield that is a better match for this OL. (Holding blocks is their biggest problem -- not good for a pure drop-back passer.)

I still think we need at least two in the backfield that can run in order to keep defenses honest, but beyond the use of Polk in motion, Donovan's offense does not use dual backs for mis-direction (just a lead blocker at times). Next year one of them will likely be McSorely.

My worry is that we will have the same issues that OSU has had with the "dual threat QB" offense. Does anyone think McSorely will be more durable than Barrett? I have no doubt that if he doesn't get hurt we will be better. Won't see the downfield passing quite as much, but a lot of our long completions over the last three year's have been "jump balls" -- to Robinson and now Godwin.

Not as tough as you Guns. You are calling people out on the board. I know. Get in touch with you if you want to go man a mano. At 6' 3" 230 with a 310 bench and a cannon for an arm that would make Uncle Rico cower in shame, suffice it to say that I don't want any part of that can of whoop ass. :D
The guy called me out and baited me, and I accepted his challenge. Not a big deal. If he wants to meet then we can have a nice conversation and a few beers, if not, that's cool too. I'm not going to sit here and allow him to type out threats on the internet. He started it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT