ADVERTISEMENT

A few questions regarding closing out this season and next season:

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
This season:
-Do we see true Freshman Shelton play @ RT?
-Do we see the Freshman big OG from Washington state continue to receive PT this year?
-Will Tengwell & Wallace return this season?
-Will Veilleiux & Allar get PT in the remaining games in prep for next year
---Does Veilleiux enter the portal if he is not given some of the reps thevrest of the season?
-Does Sutherland see reduced playing time based n his lack of impact?

Next season:
-Will staff move Hakeem Beamon to DE? I think he would be an impact player there.
-Any word on the big DT from NY, Caleb Artis - is he making any impression in practice? Need big bodies like him.
-Any word on Zuriah Fishers healing progress and will he play @ his more natural position of LBer?
-With Omari Evams receiving increased PT, will he be the deep threat we need?

Reactions: royboy
My guess is that Veilleux will enter the portal and more PT won't stop that from happening.

Sutherland will continue to get PT. We don't have enough depth at LB to keep him on the bench.

Play the freshmen OL 4 games unless they're simply overmatched at this point. Why not?

Allar will get PT. The question is how long will Franklin wait if Clifford struggles.

I don't know the best position for Beamon but we already have Robinson, Isaac, Tarburton, and Sutton at DE. I don't see him moving.

Sure would be nice to see Evans become a deep threat.

I assume Tengwall and Wallace will return since nothing was announced.

Would be shocked if Veilleux doesn't portal.

Prediction is that he leaves and we are left really thin at QB next year. Fans then bitch about Franklin not finding seasoned QB in the portal who wants to come backup a true sophomore for the remainder of their eligibility.

This season:
-Do we see true Freshman Shelton play @ RT? SHOULD, BUT UNSURE IF THE STAFF WILL
-Do we see the Freshman big OG from Washington state continue to receive PT this year? EXPECT TO, BUT INJURIES COULD BE THE CONTINUING FACTOR
-Will Tengwell & Wallace return this season? YES
-Will Veilleiux & Allar get PT in the remaining games in prep for next year ALLAR YES, CV PROBABLY NOT
---Does Veilleiux enter the portal if he is not given some of the reps thevrest of the season? MOST LIKELY
-Does Sutherland see reduced playing time based n his lack of impact? DOUBTFUL

Next season:
-Will staff move Hakeem Beamon to DE? I think he would be an impact player there. MORE THAN LIKELY HE GAINS WEIGHT
-Any word on the big DT from NY, Caleb Artis - is he making any impression in practice? Need big bodies like him. IVE READ NOTHING. TRUE FRESHMAN THOUGH.
-Any word on Zuriah Fishers healing progress and will he play @ his more natural position of LBer? DOUBTFUL HE SEES ANY TYPE OF LIVE SNAPS UNTIL NEXT YEAR AND ASSUME HE'S A DE
-With Omari Evams receiving increased PT, will he be the deep threat we need? He's already seeing a few more. Don't know if that increased further.

Answers in the quote box bolded.

Reactions: royboy
My guess is that Veilleux will enter the portal and more PT won't stop that from happening.

Sutherland will continue to get PT. We don't have enough depth at LB to keep him on the bench.

Play the freshmen OL 4 games unless they're simply overmatched at this point. Why not?

Allar will get PT. The question is how long will Franklin wait if Clifford struggles.

I don't know the best position for Beamon but we already have Robinson, Isaac, Tarburton, and Sutton at DE. I don't see him moving.

Sure would be nice to see Evans become a deep threat.

I assume Tengwall and Wallace will return since nothing was announced.
Isn't Tarburton a Redshirt Senior? So that makes space for Beamon @ DE.

We need to continue to play to win while getting more time for Allar. It is important to the program to win 10 games and get a significant bowl after a several-year absence. We've got 4 B1G games left including competitive games with Sparty and MD.

Play to win...the rest will take care of itself.

I’m not sure how the “play Allar now” chants have morphed into “play Allar and Veilleiux” chants. I understand the desire to play Allar and I’m all for it, but why take snaps away from him to give to CV? Trying to make everyone happy just ends up making everyone unhappy.

I’m not sure how the “play Allar now” chants have morphed into “play Allar and Veilleiux” chants. I understand the desire to play Allar and I’m all for it, but why take snaps away from him to give to CV? Trying to make everyone happy just ends up making everyone unhappy.

This board is delusional with regards to backup QBs. Same people who were upset Franklin couldn’t find a starting caliber qb to come be a backup to Clifford after Levis left.

Reactions: AWS1022
My personal opinion is Veilleux acquitted himself well last year in his only start and the limited play he was given. Perhaps a QB competition for next year can begin in the last 4 games and the bowl game?

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I'd like to see Allar get some meaningful playing time. Veilleux? Why not? He showed well in the single game he got a chance last year.

That said, I think the top priority must be to win these last four games. The other kids are playing to win...not to serve as props in a project to get the other QBs ready for next year.

I see no reason why the idea of getting Allar and Veilleux more playing time should conflict with the objective of winning football games against Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, and Michigan State.

10-2 and a good bowl...maybe even NY6...is worth shooting for. Anybody ready to give up on this season now is a Fake Fan.

My personal opinion is Veilleux acquitted himself well last year in his only start and the limited play he was given. Perhaps a QB competition for next year can begin in the last 4 games and the bowl game?
QB competitions take place in practice, not games. Obviously Allar has shown the coaches he should be the backup, so if they do decide to get ready for next year, then he’s the guy they should go with. Should they give snaps to Pribula too because it’s only a matter of time before people on here are calling for him to start.

I'd like to see Allar get some meaningful playing time. Veilleux? Why not? He showed well in the single game he got a chance last year.

That said, I think the top priority must be to win these last four games. The other kids are playing to win...not to serve as props in a project to get the other QBs ready for next year.

I see no reason why the idea of getting Allar and Veilleux more playing time should conflict with the objective of winning football games against Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, and Michigan State.

10-2 and a good bowl...maybe even NY6...is worth shooting for. Anybody ready to give up on this season now is a Fake Fan.
So if the coaches feel Clifford gives them the best shot to win those games and Allar is the second best shot, how is playing Veilleiux helping them win those games?

So if the coaches feel Clifford gives them the best shot to win those games and Allar is the second best shot, how is playing Veilleiux helping them win those games?
What was the grand plan for Veilleiux? Why is he here? And what is the plan for him for the future?

I think we have a sufficient talent advantage on all four of those teams that we can work in all three QBs.

Granted, at the end of the day, you have to go with the guy who gives you the best shot to win, and that is obviously the coach's call.

But I'd like to see Veilleux given a chance. He looked pretty darn good in the one game last year that he got meaningful minutes.

What was the grand plan for Veilleiux? Why is he here? And what is the plan for him for the future?

As many like to say about OSU, we recruited over him. The best we can hope for is he stays for depth next year and gets his degree then leaves as a grad transfer vs strictly portal guy. It'd not impossible for him to win the job, but it doesn't bode well that he lost #2 spot this year.

I'd be interested in seeing him run some speed option with Singleton, but how feasible is that? He'd also be a better run threat on that Power T to 5 Wide shift.

Reactions: crm114psu
Maybe that depends on how he plays in practice and how well he stacks up against the other QB’s….I know, shocking concept that he has to earn playing time.

It appears that the plan was for him to battle Allar for the backup role this season, a competition that he lost.

I'd assume the plan for the future would be for him to battle Allar this offseason for the starting role but it appears the writing is on the wall there based on where both currently slot in. He'll have to decide how he feels about likely spending most of his career backing up a QB a year younger and rolling the dice that A) Allar leaves after his JR year and B) Franklin wants a 1 year starter in 2025 vs developing a younger guy who can give him multiple seasons.

Reactions: crm114psu
I think we have a sufficient talent advantage on all four of those teams that we can work in all three QBs.

Granted, at the end of the day, you have to go with the guy who gives you the best shot to win, and that is obviously the coach's call.

But I'd like to see Veilleux given a chance. He looked pretty darn good in the one game last year that he got meaningful minutes.
So now we’re going to work in three QB’s instead of just one? Man, coaching is so easy when you do it from home.

As many like to say about OSU, we recruited over him. The best we can hope for is he stays for depth next year and gets his degree then leaves as a grad transfer vs strictly portal guy. It'd not impossible for him to win the job, but it doesn't bode well that he lost #2 spot this year.

I'd be interested in seeing him run some speed option with Singleton, but how feasible is that? He'd also be a better run threat on that Power T to 5 Wide shift.
What makes you think he would be a better run threat?

This place would be an absolute hoot if CV leaves, Allar gets hurt and Pribula sees meaningful time.
Yes because all the “good” coaches never have backup QB’s enter the portal and all their backups get tons of playing time in the heat of big games and close games.

QB competitions take place in practice, not games. Obviously Allar has shown the coaches he should be the backup, so if they do decide to get ready for next year, then he’s the guy they should go with. Should they give snaps to Pribula too because it’s only a matter of time before people on here are calling for him to start.
No one is calling for Pribula to start or get PT. Again, to me, Veilleux based on previous results in games, deserves PT. Now it could be that he has informed the staff he is strongly considering the portal and thus he is not getting PT. I have no insider information. Purely speculation on my part.

Reactions: Jerry
Who leaves and who returns next year?

P. Washington
B. Strange
T. Johnson
T. Warren
C. Jacobs
O. Fashanu
J. Porter
C. Wallace

Who leaves and who returns next year?

P. Washington
B. Strange
T. Johnson
T. Warren
C. Jacobs
O. Fashanu
J. Porter
C. Wallace
Porter leaves. I feel like the rest can go either way
I do think Fashanu should go due to his age and upside but if he returns that's a win for Franklin

Porter leaves. I feel like the rest can go either way
I do think Fashanu should go due to his age and upside but if he returns that's a win for Franklin
Our success in 2023 will depend on who returns. Porter is gone for sure. We really need Jacobs and 2 of the 3 TEs.

What makes you think he would be a better run threat?

Clifford looks gimpy at times. He was never a smooth runner as it was. Just look at the 62 yard run vs Michigan. '21 Clifford pre-Iowa injury scores on that run.

Also, game plans have been built around Clifford not taking unnecessary hits. I don't see nothing wrong with game planning CV a running opportunity.

Reactions: psualt
No one is calling for Pribula to start or get PT. Again, to me, Veilleux based on previous results in games, deserves PT. Now it could be that he has informed the staff he is strongly considering the portal and thus he is not getting PT. I have no insider information. Purely speculation on my part.
Or he’s shown he’s not good enough to get PT compared to the other QB’s.

Or he’s shown he’s not good enough to get PT compared to the other QB’s.
And who is responsible for that mistake? Did Franklin recruit him or is he a walk-on? No way Franklin could be that wrong about QB talent. What about Roberson, did St. James have any say in his recruitment? Could he possibly have been wrong about his abilities?

Seeing his experience prior to HC was mostly offense and QB coaching, how could such a wizard be so bad in what is supposed to be his area of expertise?

It would be interesting to know what line of shit Franklin laid out to him that would cause him to stay, and how he feels about it now after wasting a year.

And who is responsible for that mistake? Did Franklin recruit him or is he a walk-on? No way Franklin could be that wrong about QB talent. What about Roberson, did St. James have any say in his recruitment? Could he possibly have been wrong about his abilities?

Seeing his experience prior to HC was mostly offense and QB coaching, how could such a wizard be so bad in what is supposed to be his area of expertise?

It would be interesting to know what line of shit Franklin laid out to him that would cause him to stay, and how he feels about it now after wasting a year.
Or maybe, just maybe, a better recruit came in and out played him (you know, a situation we would like to see happen frequently). So maybe it’s not that he didn’t develop, but that someone younger is better….novel concept.

Reactions: Online Persona
Or maybe, just maybe, a better recruit came in and out played him (you know, a situation we would like to see happen frequently). So maybe it’s not that he didn’t develop, but that someone younger is better….novel concept.
Other posters were able to come up with answers that were somewhat credible. Your responses fall far short of that, mostly being insults without adding the least bit of substance. We get it - you don't like fans, particularly ones that ask questions. How dare we question the all-knowing coach.

ADVERTISEMENT