ADVERTISEMENT

A loss to Michigan is not a final blow

Parkerdam555

Jul 2, 2022
Even if PSU loses in 2 weeks...the goals are still in front of them:

Minnesota will be playing with a banged up Ibrahim.
Penn State MIGHT actually match up with Ohio State better than they do with Michigan.
The remainder of the harder of the final four games are both at home with Maryland and Michigan State.
Finally, I don't believe anyone had this team at anywhere better than 9-3 heading into this season.

Penn State MIGHT actually match up with Ohio State better than they do with Michigan.
The remainder of the harder of the final four games are both at home with Maryland and Michigan State.
Finally, I don't believe anyone had this team at anywhere better than 9-3 heading into this season.
Think about winning the game not we are ok if we lose.

Why do you think PSU doesn't match up well with Michigan?

Michigan's defense is not nearly as good as last year. Offense is similar (maybe slightly better).

PSU's offense is much better this year. Defense is just as good if not better.

And PSU had them beat last year (one fluke play away). So barring home field advantage being a HUGE boost for Michigan, I see this game as a toss up with maybe a slight edge to PSU.

We just have to play well and will be okay. It should be a close one decided by turnovers and big plays like any good matchup.

You guys will beat Michigan. Final score 23-20.
We will see. I think we Match up pretty well talent wise. Depends which Clifford shows up. Franklin doesn’t do well against ranked teams although I think he has a better supporting cast of coordinators and assistant coaches this year. Diaz is a good coach but he blitzes too much, and a well prepared QB can take advantage.

Reactions: RickinDayton
We will see. I think we Match up pretty well talent wise. Depends which Clifford shows up. Franklin doesn’t do well against ranked teams although I think he has a better supporting cast of coordinators and assistant coaches this year. Diaz is a good coach but he blitzes too much, and a well prepared QB can take advantage.
Hate to say this. Bye week for JF. Career 2 weeks to prepare has resulted in basically .500. When it’s MI it’s a loss. And 2 weeks to prepare for Illinois last year, yikes.

It’s time to buck the trend! Let’s GO LIONS!!

Hate to say this. Bye week for JF. Career 2 weeks to prepare has resulted in basically .500. When it’s MI it’s a loss. And 2 weeks to prepare for Illinois last year, yikes.

It’s time to buck the trend! Let’s GO LIONS!!
This one feels a little different though. Coming off 2 straight B games, actually that Northwestern debacle was our C game.

Why do you think PSU doesn't match up well with Michigan?

Michigan's defense is not nearly as good as last year. Offense is similar (maybe slightly better).

PSU's offense is much better this year. Defense is just as good if not better.

And PSU had them beat last year (one fluke play away). So barring home field advantage being a HUGE boost for Michigan, I see this game as a toss up with maybe a slight edge to PSU.
Our offense might be better than last yr, but until they make major strides in 3rd down offense (currently 12th in B1G), they will struggle to win big games. Without a deep passing game and poor on 3rd downs, that's a tough formula.

10-2 was the least anyone should have expected/accepted this year

Reactions: scrivener
10-2 was the least anyone should have expected/accepted this year
I went on the record prediction of 8-4 and I thought if we win the bowl game and come in 9-4 thats an acceptable season. My requirements for a "good" season were 9-3 regular season and I still hold to that. We have had some pleasant surprises with some of the young guys and a few other areas so far, but overall we don't have the combination of depth and experience that the top 6 or 7 teams in the nation have....but...we're getting close man.
Patience.

Reactions: marshall23
We have no chance. Jake Butt and Rick Pizzo said that obviously OSU and UM are best in BT. The question was who was third - MN, IL or PSU? Obviously we are about as good as 1 loss teams and not in same league as the other undefeated schools.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
Our offense might be better than last yr, but until they make major strides in 3rd down offense (currently 12th in B1G), they will struggle to win big games. Without a deep passing game and poor on 3rd downs, that's a tough formula.
We are poor on 3rd downs because our QB struggles with a blitz, and is inaccurate.

Note to self: It is really, really hard to beat a top 10 team on the road regardless of the name on the marquee.
Like the odds are really stacked against you. So don't go tying your all and everything to that particular result.

We are poor on 3rd downs because our QB struggles with a blitz, and is inaccurate.
Ok, so? We haven't been great on 3rd down for a couple of years. Last season, I believe we finished 7th, which is middle of the pack. JF says it like a broken record season after season, 3rd downs have to be better.

I went on the record prediction of 8-4 and I thought if we win the bowl game and come in 9-4 thats an acceptable season. My requirements for a "good" season were 9-3 regular season and I still hold to that. We have had some pleasant surprises with some of the young guys and a few other areas so far, but overall we don't have the combination of depth and experience that the top 6 or 7 teams in the nation have....but...we're getting close man.
Patience.
This is a team coming off a couple of uncharacteristically "down" seasons. Coaches have plugged in an unusual number of freshman (true and redshirt) into key positions. The oddsmakers were at about 8-8.5. So far so good.
Those who insist this should be a 10-11 win team are just posturing to trash Franklin or making another feeble attempt to claim expertise as per usual.
Should ten or eleven wins occur, it would be an incredible achievement by players and staff.
It has been a most difficult 5 weeks for the NNNNNCAC and they are looking to the next three games like toddlers anticipating Christmas. One must wonder about the mental state of loyal "fans" who cheer for "their team" to lose so that they can boast....."I told you so."
Whatever occurs, I'll be following and enjoying the season (of course wins more than the losses) as I have for 56 years.

This is a team coming off a couple of uncharacteristically "down" seasons. Coaches have plugged in an unusual number of freshman (true and redshirt) into key positions. The oddsmakers were at about 8-8.5. So far so good.
Those who insist this should be a 10-11 win team are just posturing to trash Franklin or making another feeble attempt to claim expertise as per usual.
Should ten or eleven wins occur, it would be an incredible achievement by players and staff.
It has been a most difficult 5 weeks for the NNNNNCAC and they are looking to the next three games like toddlers anticipating Christmas. One must wonder about the mental state of loyal "fans" who cheer for "their team" to lose so that they can boast....."I told you so."
Whatever occurs, I'll be following and enjoying the season (of course wins more than the losses) as I have for 56 years.
True PSU fans don't root for us to lose and then brag about it...that's childish. True PSU fans who also have a modicum of perspective and balance as to the type of program we are from tradition, resources, fan base, success, etc., also realize that pounding our chest for 8-9 wins doesn't cut it -- at least for me. Does that make me a bad fan or unrealistic? I don't think so. I don't think it makes you a bad fan if you have different expectations too. It's not for me to tell anyone what they should expect from a football team. I can only speak for myself in that double digit regular seasons (based on the program we are) should be the norm/benchmark.

Ok, so? We haven't been great on 3rd down for a couple of years. Last season, I believe we finished 7th, which is middle of the pack. JF says it like a broken record season after season, 3rd downs have to be better.
And who was QB? To be fair our run game was poor as well on 3rd and short.

True PSU fans don't root for us to lose and then brag about it...that's childish. True PSU fans who also have a modicum of perspective and balance as to the type of program we are from tradition, resources, fan base, success, etc., also realize that pounding our chest for 8-9 wins doesn't cut it -- at least for me. Does that make me a bad fan or unrealistic? I don't think so. I don't think it makes you a bad fan if you have different expectations too. It's not for me to tell anyone what they should expect from a football team. I can only speak for myself in that double digit regular seasons (based on the program we are) should be the norm/benchmark.
I don't see anyone here pounding their chest....do you? I do see a few (myself included) who are happy to be 5-0 and understand how difficult it is to win consistently in college football today.
I have enjoyed the ride as a PSU fan since 1966. There have been many wonderful highlights......but a few tough times as well. Double digit wins being the norm has proven to be challenging to many programs with great tradition. Tennessee, Nebraska, Texas, USC, Auburn, West Virginia, Florida, Virginia Tech,(all top 20 programs all time).....Michigan #1 all time in college football wins, has double digit wins in 5 of the last 15 years, and PSU is right there with them.

Reactions: indynittany
And who was QB? To be fair our run game was poor as well on 3rd and short.
And has been poor for a long time under JF. When you don't have a little bit of a 'power' running game, it makes those 3rd and shorts difficult. James loves the explosive backs, which we all do...SaQuon, Miles, Nick, etc. But, this is where hopefully Kaytron can make a difference with his vision and balance, getting those tough yards which PSU labors in for many years under JF. It's also why losing Cain, Holmes and Lee, all of whom are more of the heavy-legged straight line runners, is damaging to the short yardage offense....they clearly weren't fast or agile enough to be starting in this system, but as guys to do the dirty work, now we apparently are lacking that in the RB room as well.

If we want to make the playoff. Which is our goal.
Of the 8 CFP's played only three have encompassed more than one undefeated team....And one of those three was a 6-0 covid year Ohio State.
So no, you don't have to be undefeated to make the CFP, in fact it is more typical that you have a loss.
In fact, only 11 of the 32 all-time playoff selections entered the playoff undefeated.

And has been poor for a long time under JF. When you don't have a little bit of a 'power' running game, it makes those 3rd and shorts difficult. James loves the explosive backs, which we all do...SaQuon, Miles, Nick, etc. But, this is where hopefully Kaytron can make a difference with his vision and balance, getting those tough yards which PSU labors in for many years under JF. It's also why losing Cain, Holmes and Lee, all of whom are more of the heavy-legged straight line runners, is damaging to the short yardage offense....they clearly weren't fast or agile enough to be starting in this system, but as guys to do the dirty work, now we apparently are lacking that in the RB room as well.
Yes Kaytron needs to be our 3rd down and short back. I know JF likes to stick with the same back for a drive but Kaytron is soo good in those situations.

Of the 8 CFP's played only three have encompassed more than one undefeated team....And one of those three was a 6-0 covid year Ohio State.
So no, you don't have to be undefeated to make the CFP, in fact it is more typical that you have a loss.
In fact, only 11 of the 32 all-time playoff selections entered the playoff undefeated.
I dont see us beating OSU hence why I feel this is a must win to make the playoff.

Why not Tank?
If anything, with the shortage of names in the RB room, I'd like to see Tyler Warren get installed again to carry a couple of times. Big and strong...one would think could get a yard or two.

If anything, with the shortage of names in the RB room, I'd like to see Tyler Warren get installed again to carry a couple of times. Big and strong...one would think could get a yard or two.
The only way Warren is getting carries is as a short yardage qb. He's not your RB and especially when we brought in 2 top 10 RBs this year.

And the computers that pick the playoff teams take into consideration that PSU gets screwed by the officials in every game vs scUM, so they'll discount a loss at AA and slide PSU right into the playoff!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT