ADVERTISEMENT

A loss to Michigan is not a final blow

Ohio State can be good every year but not us. Why do people have this mentality?
Of course Penn State can be good every year but they are inferior to Ohio State in every single metric of a football program.
Ohio State has better program support, more money, better admin, is more committed to championships, more player talent, better coaching talent, better facilities. Everything, they have everything better than Penn State in football, quite literally. So what would lead you to believe Penn State can be that good, reliable and consistent as Ohio State, who has only won 2 national championships in the last 50 years BTW?
You're not lining up expectations with reality. Now if you wanna get mad about 2017 in that way, I'm on board. Penn State had it all that season and squandered it. Penn State needs to get way better at a lot of things to be as consistently good as Ohio State. They're good for a reason.

Reactions: 81b&w
You don't get to move the goal posts either way during the season. Going INTO the season...nobody...I mean NOBODY had 10-2.
I did but I am an eternal optimist

hell I still think we actually do have a good shot at 12-0 and a playoff berth

Reactions: blair10
Purdue and Auburn.
We haven't lost to Purdue since when...2004? We should always expect to beat Purdue
Auburn is one of the worst teams in the SEC
Expecting us to lose to Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue and Auburn this year is illogical. Yeah, upsets happen (which we hope to see against Michigan) but they shouldn't be expected.
The day Penn State is truly expected to lose to Purdue is the day everyone involved with this program needs to go

Reactions: scrivener
I smell a troll.
The playoff is always the goal. Bowl games are meaningless.
If you don't make the playoffs at a program like Penn State you failed. We're not Northwestern--stop pretending otherwise.
When the playoff expands to 12 teams I hope we finally stop seeing these insanely low expectations.

We haven't lost to Purdue since when...2004? We should always expect to beat Purdue
Auburn is one of the worst teams in the SEC
Expecting us to lose to Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue and Auburn this year is illogical. Yeah, upsets happen (which we hope to see against Michigan) but they shouldn't be expected.
The day Penn State is truly expected to lose to Purdue is the day everyone involved with this program needs to go
People on here already have very low expectations, and are happy with mediocrity.

If you don't make the playoffs at a program like Penn State you failed. We're not Northwestern--stop pretending otherwise.
When the playoff expands to 12 teams I hope we finally stop seeing these insanely low expectations.
Yes at least then it will hopefully be playoff or bust for people on here.

Penn State has won a single conference championship in the last dozen plus years and was .500 in their previous two seasons.... expectations of going to the playoff seems perfectly reasonable, but get this, they can't even win their side of their own conference.
The goal of everyone who ever ate a hot dog should be to take down Joey Chestnut. Chestnut or vegan!

• Haha
Reactions: Parkerdam555
Penn State has won a single conference championship in the last dozen plus years and was .500 in their previous two seasons.... expectations of going to the playoff seems perfectly reasonable, but get this, they can't even win their side of their own conference.
The goal of everyone who ever ate a hot dog should be to take down Joey Chestnut. Chestnut or vegan!
Yes we may have our own expectations lower but our goal should always be to make the playoff, at Penn State. Bc We Are... Penn State!

Yes we may have our own expectations lower but our goal should always be to make the playoff, at Penn State. Bc We Are... Penn State!
Well if Chad Powers can make the team as a 32 year old guy who runs 5.49 then I guess anything is possible. I will be thinking about victory lane at Daytona when I start my car today!

They were told winning doesn't matter because we have honor truthfully. For some reason, many here don't believe success is determined by winning titles.
Well then skip Ohio St. They have had equal talent to Bama and Georgia for several years but nothing to show for it. Even LSU and Clemson with far less team talent composites have gotten it done.

Not Ohio St, they simply have so much talent that their 2nd teamers end up transferring to win natties with Bama and LSU and get drafted in the first round or first overall and win the Heisman. That's a mark of poor coaching.

You see, if PSU were to bring in more talent to get into the top 5 or even top 10 in team talent composite then who knows? Maybe we get it done and bring home a natty.

But it doesn't matter if Ohio St brings in more talent. They have had the best talent in the land, tied with Bama and Georgia for several years. But they do not have the coaching to get it done. They are mostly good against teams with less than top 10 talent although they did lose twice last year and almost lost their bowl game as well to an inferior team. But they cannot compete against teams of equal or even just a notch below talent. At this point that is a very well established pattern.

Well then skip Ohio St. They have had equal talent to Bama and Georgia for several years but nothing to show for it. Even LSU and Clemson with far less team talent composites have gotten it done.

Not Ohio St, they simply have so much talent that their 2nd teamers end up transferring to win natties with Bama and LSU and get drafted in the first round or first overall and win the Heisman. That's a mark of poor coaching.

You see, if PSU were to bring in more talent to get into the top 5 or even top 10 in team talent composite then who knows? Maybe we get it done and bring home a natty.

But it doesn't matter if Ohio St brings in more talent. They have had the best talent in the land, tied with Bama and Georgia for several years. But they do not have the coaching to get it done. They are mostly good against teams with less than top 10 talent although they did lose twice last year and almost lost their bowl game as well to an inferior team. But they cannot compete against teams of equal or even just a notch below talent. At this point that is a very well established pattern.
OSU has been to multiple playoffs and won National titles recently but ok...

Who cares? We both won a natty last 2 head coaches ago. How is that relevant to what these current coaches have done?
At this point, how about a single playoff appearance? Trying to minimize the success that OSU has had in the playoff era b/c they have one natl title under Urban is ridiculous. I think most psu fans would agree, how about multiple playoff appearances in the near future, and what happens, happens. How about being #4...it isn't that lofty a goal for a program of our stature.

You could say that every team in the top 17 are blue bloods which by in large part means they weren't ranked 50 when they played a top 10 team. Maybe a year or two they had a down year were a fringe top 35 team but for the most part that wouldn't line up with those names on a regular basis. So I think the stats are fairly accurate regardless of irregularities in team performance.
I see your logic here but I'd have to look into that more carefully. Your theory is probably "more correct" in the 70s than more recently (e.g. in the past 20 years Notre Dame, USC, Bama, Michigan, PSU, etc, have all had down years where they would not be expected to beat a top 10 team). But in terms of overall stats you are probably correct.

Not sure why you care if we win or lose a bowl game but with this schedule less than 10-2 is setting expectations too low IMO
" but with this schedule "
Are you implying PSU's schedule is easy? I think their SOS in the top 30 (or top 20 depending on who you ask)

So I'm not sure why 10-2 "with this schedule" is setting expectations too low.

I think with the way the season has played out so far 10-2 is probable. 11-1 would be great. 9-3 would be a little disappointing.

Not sure why you care if we win or lose a bowl game but with this schedule less than 10-2 is setting expectations too low IMO
I disagree with almost everything you post, but I agree with you that 10-2 should be expected. No other programs outside of OSU or Mich should challenge us in the Big Ten.

That being said, an 8 or 9 won season based on circumstances and context year to year is not the end of the world.

2020 and 2021 had extenuating circumstances that cannot be ignored.

This year, Franklin has no excuses if they cannot get to 10 wins with the remainder of the schedule, barring injury, weather or referines.

And has been poor for a long time under JF. When you don't have a little bit of a 'power' running game, it makes those 3rd and shorts difficult. James loves the explosive backs, which we all do...SaQuon, Miles, Nick, etc. But, this is where hopefully Kaytron can make a difference with his vision and balance, getting those tough yards which PSU labors in for many years under JF. It's also why losing Cain, Holmes and Lee, all of whom are more of the heavy-legged straight line runners, is damaging to the short yardage offense....they clearly weren't fast or agile enough to be starting in this system, but as guys to do the dirty work, now we apparently are lacking that in the RB room as well.
Lee could be the short yardage guy along with Allen. I am hoping Allen can be a bruiser between the tackles and pick up some critical tough yards. Losing Cain and Holmes is not hurting us at all. Cain was so slow after the injury it didn't matter if he had some power. Holmes, who knows, he never could get on the field so not a good sign.

Reactions: scrivener
Lee could be the short yardage guy along with Allen. I am hoping Allen can be a bruiser between the tackles and pick up some critical tough yards. Losing Cain and Holmes is not hurting us at all. Cain was so slow after the injury it didn't matter if he had some power. Holmes, who knows, he never could get on the field so not a good sign.

Lee should have been built to be a power back. If they wanted to clean up some bad weight, that's one thing since he came straight from HS to being a college freshman contributor. S&C should have never tried to make him a faster, shifty RB.

Now the timing of things probably played into this. Journey Brown's retirement set us back a year of having a great speed back. Cain was meant to be that inside downhill hammer. He then gets hurt and you don't have him at your disposal. You have Devyn Ford, who gets past by 2 true freshman (sounds familiar) by seasons end, seemingly just wasn't meant to be a great RB.

Fast forward a year. Cain is back from injury, but he's not the same back. They bring Lovett in from the portal and he's like a 2nd Ford. They decided to RS Holmes early on. And Lee was inconsistent between fumbles and rotation.

Bit of irony. Franklin fires Kirk C, hires Yurcich, and here we are in '22 running Singleton and Allen out of 2 TE sets and the Power T with 6 OL and 2 TEs. Weird huh?

Lee should have been built to be a power back. If they wanted to clean up some bad weight, that's one thing since he came straight from HS to being a college freshman contributor. S&C should have never tried to make him a faster, shifty RB.

Now the timing of things probably played into this. Journey Brown's retirement set us back a year of having a great speed back. Cain was meant to be that inside downhill hammer. He then gets hurt and you don't have him at your disposal. You have Devyn Ford, who gets past by 2 true freshman (sounds familiar) by seasons end, seemingly just wasn't meant to be a great RB.

Fast forward a year. Cain is back from injury, but he's not the same back. They bring Lovett in from the portal and he's like a 2nd Ford. They decided to RS Holmes early on. And Lee was inconsistent between fumbles and rotation.

Bit of irony. Franklin fires Kirk C, hires Yurcich, and here we are in '22 running Singleton and Allen out of 2 TE sets and the Power T with 6 OL and 2 TEs. Weird huh?
I've never seen an RB regress like Cain. Injury or not.

I've never seen an RB regress like Cain. Injury or not.
Haven't been around much have you sonny?
Frank Gifford, Paul Hornung , Bo Jackson, Kijana Carter, Joe Delaney, George Rogers, Gayle Sayers, Christian Okoye, Jamal Anderson, Curt Warner.....how many do you want?

Last edited:
Stop acting like we're Northwestern
You bought into the "success with honor" being more important than winning and now, even after Joe is gone, we pretend it's still relevant
We have the resources to contended yearly and should expect to do so
Again, what does any of this have to do with "expecting to lose" to Purdue and Auburn under Harsin

" but with this schedule "
Are you implying PSU's schedule is easy? I think their SOS in the top 30 (or top 20 depending on who you ask)

So I'm not sure why 10-2 "with this schedule" is setting expectations too low.

I think with the way the season has played out so far 10-2 is probable. 11-1 would be great. 9-3 would be a little disappointing.
We play 2 teams that will be ranked this year

I've never once said we shouldn't expect to lose to Ohio State--even with that as a loss we'd should be battling for the playoffs yearly--especially when it expands to 12.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT