ADVERTISEMENT

A loss to Michigan is not a final blow

Stop acting like we're Northwestern
That's funny.
Unforenately you have this all wrong, the only people treating Penn State like a school it's not, is you. You talk like they are Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State or LSU or Georgia. I have news for you, they aren't and neither is most anyone else. You need a reality check because outside the rural PA lense Penn State is just another Oklahoma, Miami, Nebraska, USC, Florida State, Notre Dame, Tennessee or Michigan. Just another old blue blood school trying to regain it's former glory. How many playoff appearances do those in the latter have of the 32 chances since its inception? Penn State is a special place with a special football program that has a very high ceiling but I think you're a little confused about where they actually are as a program. Of course they can win everything on any given year but they are so far from a consistent contender like an Alabama or Ohio State it's not even funny, in fact it really hurts sometimes. Maybe this will be the year to change that but the reality is the Penn State has only won the B1G conference championship 4 times since they joined the conference in 1993. Ohio State has won it that many times in the last 5 years. That's real far from CFP appearance annually, as you contend they should be pulling off because of their "resources" as if all those other schools I mentioned don't have the same resources or something.
Pipe dreams, faulty expectations....Great wishes, dreams and hopes though.
I think this team is the best team that has been fielded since 2017, so they have a chance and there is a lot of football to played to prove it.

Reactions: ryoder1
That's funny.
Unforenately you have this all wrong, the only people treating Penn State like a school it's not, is you. You talk like they are Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State or LSU or Georgia. I have news for you, they aren't and neither is most anyone else. You need a reality check because outside the rural PA lense Penn State is just another Oklahoma, Miami, Nebraska, USC, Florida State, Notre Dame, Tennessee or Michigan. Just another old blue blood school trying to regain it's former glory. How many playoff appearances do those in the latter have of the 32 chances since its inception? Penn State is a special place with a special football program that has a very high ceiling but I think you're a little confused about where they actually are as a program. Of course they can win everything on any given year but they are so far from a consistent contender like an Alabama or Ohio State it's not even funny, in fact it really hurts sometimes. Maybe this will be the year to change that but the reality is the Penn State has only won the B1G conference championship 4 times since they joined the conference in 1993. Ohio State has won it that many times in the last 5 years. That's real far from CFP appearance annually, as you contend they should be pulling off because of their "resources" as if all those other schools I mentioned don't have the same resources or something.
I think this team is the best team that has been fielded since 2017, so they have a chance and there is a lot of football to played to prove it.
We aren't Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia or Clemson. We are LSU. We don't have the same recruiting issues as Nebraska or coaching issues like most of those schools you listed but everyone of the programs wants to expects to compete hence the number of coaches that have been fired. Find a post where I said they should contend for title--I said the playoff (read please). And we've underachieved for decades because people allowed Paterno to tell them to lower their standards for "honor".

Again, when the playoff expands to 12--the Big Ten and SEC will likely both get 3 teams most years. Not being in contention for that spot should not be tolerated.

We aren't Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia or Clemson. We are LSU. We don't have the same recruiting issues as Nebraska or coaching issues like most of those schools you listed but everyone of the programs wants to expects to compete hence the number of coaches that have been fired. Find a post where I said they should contend for title--I said the playoff (read please). And we've underachieved for decades because people allowed Paterno to tell them to lower their standards for "honor".
Letting Joe Paterno coach after the year 2000 set this program back 10 years. Unpopular take but absolutely true.

PSU will never crack into the those big 3 or 4 names with the "honor" bull$hit.

Letting Joe Paterno coach after the year 2000 set this program back 10 years. Unpopular take but absolutely true.

At least we agree here
I understand your point about the lack of success compared to other programs but that's because the program seems content with mediocrity. We have the recruiting tools available to us to be competitive. Hell, most schools would kill for the intro of a Monday night NFL game to be about Barkley and Parsons. It was a free promo.

That's funny.
Georgia not too long ago was an old blue blood trying to regain their former glory. Look at them now. Theres no reason, especially now with the insane Big Ten contract that we just received that we can't compete with the big boys.

People on here just love to give excuses to make them feel better for why we can't be elite, and its all a bunch of bs. If Clemson can be elite, then PSU sure as hell could be.

Reactions: scrivener
People on here just love to give excuses to make them feel better for why we can't be elite, and its all a bunch of bs. If Clemson can be elite, then PSU sure as hell could be.
Oversimplification.
It's a lot more complicated than would of, should of & could of.
Penn State is one of the top 10 programs in the country however it is a solid step down from the consistency and commitment of Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State. LSU & Clemson are half step down. Then there is the group of 5 ND, Oklahoma, PSU, Michigan, USC. You could probably throw Florida, Texas and Oregon in there and make it the group of 8 just based on resources as well.
Its not because they aren't trying or don't want to its because in sports only a select few can be at the top at any given time. Ohio State & Alabama have had losing seasons more recently than Penn State has. Miami was Alabama. Texas has more resources than God himself and stinks every year. Do you think Texas is trying to be elite?

Oversimplification.
It's a lot more complicated than would of, should of & could of.
Penn State is one of the top 10 programs in the country however it is a solid step down from the consistency and commitment of Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State. LSU & Clemson are half step down. Then there is the group of 5 ND, Oklahoma, PSU, Michigan, USC. You could probably throw Florida, Texas and Oregon in there and make it the group of 8 just based on resources as well.
Its not because they aren't trying or don't want to its because in sports only a select few can be at the top at any given time. Ohio State & Alabama have had losing seasons more recently than Penn State has. Miami was Alabama. Texas has more resources than God himself and stinks every year. Do you think Texas is trying to be elite?
At the end of the day it pretty much comes down to being one of those schools that you mentioned and having resources + having an elite coach. Georgia brings in Kirby, elite. Clemson brings in Dabo, elite. Bama brings in Saban, elite. At least when it comes to having a sustained elite program. Nothing against Franklin but he is not an elite coach yet at the end of the day. He's struggled to field dominate O-Lines, struggled recruiting DTs, and he's only had 1 playoff worthy QB under him in McSorely. But I like the progress this year to field a playoff worthy team. O-lineman much better, solid D-line play, and he brought in stud Allar.

Last edited:
At the end of the day it pretty much comes down to being one of those schools that you mentioned and having resources + having an elite coach. Georgia brings in Kirby, elite. Clemson brings in Dabo, elite. Bama brings in Saban, elite. At least when it comes to having a sustained elite program. Nothing against Franklin but he is not an elite coach at the end of the day. He's struggled to field dominate O-Lines, struggled recruiting DTs, and he's only had 1 playoff worthy QB under him in McSorely. But I like the progress this year to field a playoff worthy team. O-lineman much better, solid D-line play, and he brought in stud Allar.
Penn State is as close to elite as they've been since the 90's. They need to finish the job. They are churning out elite NFL talent and NY6 bowls.
In the 90's Penn State won the championship in 1994, had a 10 win season in 1993 and was pre season #1 in 1996 & 1999, though both seasons ended up being disappointing. The 2005 to 2009 run was pretty good but it didn't produce a championship and was bookended by two of the worst times in PSU football history. I wouldn't have called them elite at that time but Daryl Clark is still PSU's must underrated QB.
They are knocking on the door. They are close. Need to stay focused and determined.

Penn State is as close to elite as they've been since the 90's. They need to finish the job. They are churning out elite NFL talent and NY6 bowls.
In the 90's Penn State won the championship in 1994, had a 10 win season in 1993 and was pre season #1 in 1996 & 1999, though both seasons ended up being disappointing. The 2005 to 2009 run was pretty good but it didn't produce a championship and was bookended by two of the worst times in PSU football history. I wouldn't have called them elite at that time but Daryl Clark is still PSU's must underrated QB.
They are knocking on the door. They are close. Need to stay focused and determined.
Henne misses that throw and we play for Texas for title in 2005. Hamilton catches that wide open pass against Pitt in 2016 and we are in playoffs for title. In 2019, Clifford throws TD against MN instead of INT and we are at least in discussion like 2016. Realize should, would ,could does us little good but great programs get over hump once. We have been good to medicare to bad under Franklin. Trending up with talent but we shall see over this season and next

Wow! This is so wrong! Had Joe not been thrown under the bus by the BOT, and been allowed to retire with the honor he deserves, Urban Meyer would have succeeded him.
The program would have been as elite as it gets.

Wow! This is so wrong! Had Joe not been thrown under the bus by the BOT, and been allowed to retire with the honor he deserves, Urban Meyer would have succeeded him.
It was especially good from 2000 to 2004.
Look, I get it, Joe and the fans wanted the record but the record ended up tarnished and not meaning as much as everyone wanted it to. It sucks. If it weren't for the record chase, Paterno would have been dismissed following the 2004 season at best, probably pushed out after 2001. 2004 was his 4th losing season in 5 years. Awful. No coach at a blue blood school would survive that, except Paterno.

The BOT is another issue in itself but Joe needed to walk away much sooner than he did. Pretending his refusal to retire when it was time wasn't a problem is insincere.

Paterno was a great coach and an even better person but he was selfish at the end and hurt the program

The BOT is another issue in itself but Joe needed to walk away much sooner than he did. Pretending his refusal to retire when it was time wasn't a problem is insincere.

Paterno was a great coach and an even better person but he was selfish at the end and hurt the program
His teams won 50 games in his last 5 years. The team was 8-1 when he was fired. His successor had been found. He had announced that he would retire at the end of the season.
The BOT is the reason this program is a on a rung below the elites.
Considering what it’s been through, the team has done well to be where it is. I don’t know if they can break through this year, but I like the growth I’m seeing.

His teams won 50 games in his last 5 years. The team was 8-1 when he was fired. His successor had been found. He had announced that he would retire at the end of the season.
The BOT is the reason this program is a on a rung below the elites.
Considering what it’s been through, the team has done well to be where it is. I don’t know if they can break through this year, but I like the growth I’m seeing.
Again, he needed to walk away sooner. Richt was 49 games his last 5 years and the best thing Georgia ever did was fire him.
You can hate how the BOT handled things that season while still acknowledging it would have been best for all involved had he walked away sooner.
Also, happy with the growth

We play 2 teams that will be ranked this year
a) You cannot know that at this point in the year.

b) I suspect there will be at least 3, perhaps four (OSU, Michigan, whoever wins the west and perhaps one other)

c) Not sure why this is your only metric. Our OOC (Auburn and two very decent MAC schools) makes Michigan's OOC look like a pee wee football schedule.

b) I suspect there will be at least 3, perhaps four (OSU, Michigan, whoever wins the west and perhaps one other)

c) Not sure why this is your only metric. Our OOC (Auburn and two very decent MAC schools) makes Michigan's OOC look like a pee wee football schedule.
Put the guy on ignore. He spews negative garbage.

a/b) right now there's 2 ranked opponents. No one in the west is good so if they end up ranked toward the end it's simply because they beat other weak west teams then we'll see the East division winner destroy them. Record is too strongly considered in rankings while voters ignore the quality of wins. See Syracuse being ranked.

c) Auburn is arguably one of the worst 2 teams in the SEC and may not win another game this year. I don't know why people keep pretending MAC schools are good. The one the calls everyone an moron claimed Central Michigan would win the MAC and we saw them get DESTROYED in their first MAC game. Michigan's OOC is awful too--I've never said it was good or better than our schedule.

No one can look at the teams we've played this year and say "that's impressive". I couldn't be happier that we're undefeated but we should be. We'll see where we stand against Michigan.

Maybe. Maybe we are being punished by Karma because we threw Joe under the bus.

Many good opinions.

You can see that we are somewhere in that tier of teams trying to regain past success.

Teams like Texas, ND, Florida, Michigan (let's not overrate Michigan based on last year only), and so forth. We have a path to the top 4 or 5 because we still have good facilities, huge university, a natural recruiting area(s).

Other programs that were once great - Nebraska, Pitt, Miami, Florida State - why should those program really expect to be great again? No natural recruiting advantage and/or a lack of facilities/size.

Is Franklin the guy? Not sure.

Joe has received the honors he deserves.

His name has been removed from the Stagg trophy, the "Joeseph V. Paterno" award was discontinued by the Maxwell Football Club after a single year award, his support for the Presidential Medal of Freedom award was pulled, and his name taken off the Nike Daycare Center by supporter Phil Knight.

I got a feeling that once he realized the price he paid, "409" was a rather hollow achievement. Karma caught up with him.

• Angry
Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
Miami, Florida State - why should those program really expect to be great again? No natural recruiting advantage...

Uhm, Florida is a hot bed for recruiting. The biggest issue both schools have is they are getting beat out at the game they invented among other things like coaches staying too long, tearing down on campus stadiums, bad coaching carousels, etc.

Both are also niche schools. They both have 20 years of giant success, but are fighting teams with 60 years of it, just not quite as concentrated.

Uhm, Florida is a hot bed for recruiting. The biggest issue both schools have is they are getting beat out at the game they invented among other things like coaches staying too long, tearing down on campus stadiums, bad coaching carousels, etc.

Both are also niche schools. They both have 20 years of giant success, but are fighting teams with 60 years of it, just not quite as concentrated.
And/or lack of facilities/size.

We all know that Florida is a fertile ground for recruiting.

Even if PSU loses in 2 weeks...the goals are still in front of them:

Minnesota will be playing with a banged up Ibrahim.
Penn State MIGHT actually match up with Ohio State better than they do with Michigan.
The remainder of the harder of the final four games are both at home with Maryland and Michigan State.
Finally, I don't believe anyone had this team at anywhere better than 9-3 heading into this season.
Not if Indiana beats them today.

ADVERTISEMENT