ADVERTISEMENT

A Nickal's Worth of Sportsmanship

Pitchfork Rebel

Feb 20, 2020
Spencer Lee is No Bo Nickal (even if he get's four).

This is how it's done. Offer your opponent a hand up and a pat on their effort.

You don’t offer to help someone up unless they’re legitimately injured. It’s a bad look and I can all but guarantee Nickal is just messing with him…

• Wow
Reactions: mcpat
Maybe, but still a better approach than shooting him in the knee!
Good one… It’s a bit entertaining that you guys unload on Spencer on a situation that was clearly personal in nature even if those allegations are true. Not a sportsmanship issue, I don’t think you can get in Lee’s head that bad simply for mat issues… he’s just not that kind of guy.

You don’t offer to help someone up unless they’re legitimately injured. It’s a bad look and I can all but guarantee Nickal is just messing with him…
Similar to how we let you continue to post your Iowa NIL / fanbase / TV ratings / recruiting / SLee crackpot theories without giving you the slapping you deserve.

Similar to how we let you continue to post your Iowa NIL / fanbase / TV ratings / recruiting / SLee crackpot theories without giving you the slapping you deserve.
Crackpot theories? You guys start a bunch of threads about Iowa and i’ll offer my thoughts. They’ll be biased but I generally stay out of that kind of conversation in anything that’s PSU-related (in origin).

Just think it’s kind of a crock of shit to accuse spencer of all this nonsense when dealing with limited information. As I said, it’s personal whether it’s Tom or Terry or Ayala that got in his head or all three, clearly nothing to do with his character in normal competitive circumstances.

Reactions: mcpat
Bo was messing with him when he slapped on a cradle. He messed up quite a few guys and team's seasons.

Reactions: therod

I disagree. Sure, Nickal could've been using some suble submission thing, but it wasn't aggressive. He had just pushed Moore clear accross the mat before decking him-that was the message.

When do you help yourself up by pushing down on the defeated opponent-who is your teammate?

I still remember getting lectured about no "I" in team.

I've watched the Lee-Ayala thing a couple of times now. Like everything else, it needs to be in context.

It's bad because they are teamates. If Lee wanted to send a message to a would be challenger, he did it with the pin-something that's a little different than his usual TF.

Of course having mommy helicopter in is really a "bad look" for Ayala and not good for the unity of command. Internicene stuff needs to be handled by the coaches; not hyperprotective mothers. Frankly, if that was my wife; we'd be having words about emasculating my son in public.

I've seen a couple other posts about wrestling being less enjoyable. It might be because of prima donnas like Lee hanging on into their mid 20's to get a(nother) NC but wanting to do the absolute minimum in order to get a ceremonial coronation.

But hey, I'll enjoy any Hawkeyes pierced.

Crackpot theories? You guys start a bunch of threads about Iowa and i’ll offer my thoughts. They’ll be biased but I generally stay out of that kind of conversation in anything that’s PSU-related (in origin).

Just think it’s kind of a crock of shit to accuse spencer of all this nonsense when dealing with limited information. As I said, it’s personal whether it’s Tom or Terry or Ayala that got in his head or all three, clearly nothing to do with his character in normal competitive circumstances.
When it comes to crackpot theories I'm probably more guilty than most here. Lol. In my defense, a couple put out there eventually proved to be true. Ha

I disagree. Sure, Nickal could've been using some suble submission thing, but it wasn't aggressive. He had just pushed Moore clear accross the mat before decking him-that was the message.

When do you help yourself up by pushing down on the defeated opponent-who is your teammate?

I've watched the Lee-Ayala thing a couple of times now. Like everything else, it needs to be in context.

It's bad because they are teamates. If Lee wanted to send a message to a would be challenger, he did it with the pin-something that's a little different than his usual TF.

Of course having mommy helicopter in is really a "bad look" for Ayala and not good for the unity of command. Internicene stuff needs to be handled by the coaches; not hyperprotective mothers. Frankly, if that was my wife; we'd be having words about emasculating my son in public.

I've seen a couple other posts about wrestling being less enjoyable. It might be because of prima donnas like Lee hanging on into their mid 20's to get a(nother) NC but wanting to do the absolute minimum in order to get a ceremonial coronation.

el oh freaking el on the Lee comments… good lord. Yeah, what a loser trying to get a 4th NCAA title and first Hawk to pull it off….. Covid and what 4 knee injuries set him back a couple years?

Fact of the matter is this: Ayala and Lee were never destined to be “teammates” It’s likely led to a future neither expected dealing with and I guarantee you Spencer was just pissed as all hell that they put him in a situation like that…

el oh freaking el on the Lee comments… good lord. Yeah, what a loser trying to get a 4th NCAA title and first Hawk to pull it off….. Covid and what 4 knee injuries set him back a couple years?

Fact of the matter is this: Ayala and Lee were never destined to be “teammates” It’s likely led to a future neither expected dealing with and I guarantee you Spencer was just pissed as all hell that they put him in a situation like that…

As the member of a scholastic team, nobody picks their teammates. Only a prima donna would expect that. And while the COVID shutdowns directly affected the athletes who lost a year, the "free year" spread the misery to people entering their respective programs.

As for Spencer's expectations, what about Ayala's? Did he expect to be competing against somebody he legitimately would have thought finished now? Should he not want to be a starter rather than just a fill-in for when Spenc isn't checking a box?

This is disruptive, if not destructive of esprit de corps. That's just my analysis; but I approve of any dysfunction in the Hawks' room.

I was never the biggest fan of Bo helping his opponent up, it did look condescending but I really doubt Bo was doing it to be an asshole. I think he took note opponents didn't like it after Hokit from Fresno State basically smacked his hand away and Bo was like ok ok my bad and then he didn't do it against Brucki. If Bo really wants to "show a guy up" he has many other options that is 100x worse.

I get Bo has a "cocky" reputation but Levi did the same thing with Riggins at Junior Trials. I promise you Levi isn't doing this to taunt an opponent, sometimes you just do it without thinking much.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
I get Bo has a "cocky" reputation but Levi did the same thing with Riggins at Junior Trials. I promise you Levi isn't doing this to taunt an opponent, sometimes you just do it without thinking much.

That is not at all what Bo did, unless both of Riggins' hips are attached to his hand.

Reactions: danoftw
I always thought the “help a guy up after pinning him” thing was a ham-handed attempt at showing sportsmanship for hodge consideraction on the part of Bo. But after he spanked Zahid, I’m a convert to the big brothering theory. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but Bo earned that right. It will sell UFC ppv’s, I bet.

Reactions: creamery freak

614b946ea6ba624ecaf6fa8e_614b94405ee64553881603.gif

I guess when you get proven wrong you will just regurgitate exactly what I said- and they certainly do when they’re the type of athlete who will get 4 years of competition damn near anywhere.

Trying to dig on spencer for coming back as some kind of old man is ridiculous. He has a RS and medical…. your own bros on here aren’t backing you up because your thread is off base and shows you’ve never competed.

FWIW - I’ve met Bo a few times and he is a genuinely good guy. I also have a friend who knows Bo pretty well on a personal basis and he says the same about him. But he also conceded that most wrestlers don’t like to be given a hand to help them up after being beaten. It comes across as somewhat condescending. I don’t think Bo was deliberately trying to degrade anyone, but maybe someone should have pulled him aside at some point and given him some constructive feedback.

Reactions: hlstone
FWIW - I’ve met Bo a few times and he is a genuinely good guy. I also have a friend who knows Bo pretty well on a personal basis and he says the same about him. But he also conceded that most wrestlers don’t like to be given a hand to help them up after being beaten. It comes across as somewhat condescending. I don’t think Bo was deliberately trying to degrade anyone, but maybe someone should have pulled him aside at some point and given him some constructive feedback.

If that's the case; then there's some mighty fragile egos out there.

I guess when you get proven wrong you will just regurgitate exactly what I said- and they certainly do when they’re the type of athlete who will get 4 years of competition damn near anywhere.

Trying to dig on spencer for coming back as some kind of old man is ridiculous. He has a RS and medical…. your own bros on here aren’t backing you up because your thread is off base and shows you’ve never competed.

Proven wrong about what? Nothing here is going to be published in a peer reviewed paper-it's all personal judgement.

One of the things I learned as a wrestler is to stand on and get decked on my own. I could care less if my "bros" back me up or not. I'm not a teenage giirl worrying about what other people think. Of course if you had given the slightest thought about it, you might not have tried Argumentum ad populum with somebody whose avatar is a mouse giving the finger to the attacking raptor with talons open.

Yes, I competed-not particularly well due to a basic lack of ability and a late start, but I competed.

I didn't "dig" on Spencer. I merely pointed out that if he has a right to a public exhibition of his displeasure because of being challenged by somebody he didn't expect as an opponent; the same right of displeasure applies to Ayala-even if his helicopter mom needs a talking to.

And contra your red herring I didn't say he was some kind of old man, but a young one, competing against college kids. My bigger argument is the apparent "I'm only here to check enough boxes until March" attitude.

Look I get it. He's your best shot at an NC this year so...

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Proven wrong about what? Nothing here is going to be published in a peer reviewed paper-it's all personal judgement.

One of the things I learned as a wrestler is to stand on and get decked on my own. I could care less if my "bros" back me up or not. I'm not a teenage giirl worrying about what other people think. Of course if you had given the slightest thought about it, you might not have tried Argumentum ad populum with somebody whose avatar is a mouse giving the finger to the attacking raptor with talons open.

Yes, I competed-not particularly well due to a basic lack of ability and a late start, but I competed.

I didn't "dig" on Spencer. I merely pointed out that if he has a right to a public exhibition of his displeasure because of being challenged by somebody he didn't expect as an opponent; the same right of displeasure applies to Ayala-even if his helicopter mom needs a talking to.

And contra your red herring I didn't say he was some kind of old man, but a young one, competing against college kids. My bigger argument is the apparent "I'm only here to check enough boxes until March" attitude.

Look I get it. He's your best shot at an NC this year so...
Somehow insinuating that Lee is selfish for pursuing a 4th NCAA title- something that has been accomplished by what 4 people?

Pretty stupid take, but it doesn’t approach the level of dumb of you starting a thread where Nickal is clearly taunting his opponent knowing dumbasses will eat it up is just epic stupid. And I don’t even care if Nickal does it to taunt. It is what it is and he was absolutely dominant.

Somehow insinuating that Lee is selfish for pursuing a 4th NCAA title- something that has been accomplished by what 4 people?

Pretty stupid take, but it doesn’t approach the level of dumb of you starting a thread where Nickal is clearly taunting his opponent knowing dumbasses will eat it up is just epic stupid. And I don’t even care if Nickal does it to taunt. It is what it is and he was absolutely dominant.
Not correct either. Bo was not taunting anyone. If you go back and watch the videos, you’ll see that he didn’t start doing that until his last year when he knew he was a prime candidate for the Hodge award. He was trying to display good sportsmanship even though he may have been guilty of bad judgment. That’s not my opinion either. That comes directly from people who know Bo very well.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Not correct either. Bo was not taunting anyone. If you go back and watch the videos, you’ll see that he didn’t start doing that until his last year when he knew he was a prime candidate for the Hodge award. He was trying to display good sportsmanship even though he may have been guilty of bad judgment. That’s not my opinion either. That comes directly from people who know Bo very well.
Hypothetically if I believed you- that’s a pretty serious lack of self-awareness on his part considering who he is- and there’s nothing wrong with who he is. Most guys that good have that side that can and will come out when someone pushes them over the edge.

And let’s just get this clear- your argument is essentially he’s a bad teammate for beating the shit out of someone who challenged him and yelling at his own coach about it?

Double mff it and do that shit in the room.

Last edited:
Hypothetically if I believed you- that’s a pretty serious lack of self-awareness on his part considering who he is- and there’s nothing wrong with who he is. Most guys that good have that side that can and will come out when someone pushes them over the edge.

And let’s just get this clear- your argument is essentially he’s a bad teammate for beating the shit out of someone who challenged him and yelling at his own coach about it?

Double mff it and do that shit in the room.
You’re getting your posts confused. I didn’t say anything about Lee on this thread and I agree with you that bad blood should stay in the room.

Regarding Bo, let me put it another way. His intentions were good but he overplayed things a bit.

Question: Has anyone posting here seen Bo offer his hand to help someone up after beating them in MMA?

You’re getting your posts confused. I didn’t say anything about Lee on this thread and I agree with you that bad blood should stay in the room.

Regarding Bo, let me put it another way. His intentions were good but he overplayed things a bit.

Question: Has anyone posting here seen Bo offer his hand to help someone up after beating them in MMA?
getting posters confused. thought you were the guy who started the thread.

You keep saying "stupid". Freudian slip and projection?

Reactions: WexfordWarrior
I think it's fair to question burn out with wrestlers and their respective coaches when there is some evidence it could be a problem.
I also think it's strange that Spencer doesn't wrestle in the room (if true).

However, I think it's a little out of line to question his character over this. If I were his coach, his action (practice or otherwise) would be as limited as possible to make sure he could complete his dreams.
Let's be honest, Spencer is good enough to win without any of it. Only a fool would push him with this weak of a weight class.

I also believe that should cost him the Hodge.
As with anyone else that chooses the limited matches approach.
Otherwise we condone this type of schedule.

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT