ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Brooks appreciation thread

Psalm 1 guy

Nov 3, 2019
It is just a pleasure watching Aaron wrestle. In tonight's dual he got to Venz' legs five times and scored five takedowns. He also converted one of Venz's shots for another takedown. As Clay said in the dual thread, "Aaron Brooks might be the most technically sound wrestler I've ever seen at PSU and it may not be close." Jim Gibbons has also been profuse in his praise for Aaron. Aaron is one of those wrestlers that as a fan I never worry that he will make a big mistake or have a mental lapse. His composure, positioning, technique and execution are top notch and just seem to be getting better and better. And to top it all off, he represents himself and Penn State wrestling so well. He's an amazing young man, and John, I can only imagine how proud you are of him as a son and a wrestler. I am excited to watch Aaron for these next few years at Penn State and then watch as he transitions to full-time freestyle. Exciting times!

It is just a pleasure watching Aaron wrestle. In tonight's dual he got to Venz' legs five times and scored five takedowns. He also converted one of Venz's shots for another takedown. As Clay said in the dual thread, "Aaron Brooks might be the most technically sound wrestler I've ever seen at PSU and it may not be close." Jim Gibbons has also been profuse in his praise for Aaron. Aaron is one of those wrestlers that as a fan I never worry that he will make a big mistake or have a mental lapse. His composure, positioning, technique and execution are top notch and just seem to be getting better and better. And to top it all off, he represents himself and Penn State wrestling so well. He's an amazing young man, and John, I can only imagine how proud you are of him as a son and a wrestler. I am excited to watch Aaron for these next few years at Penn State and then watch as he transitions to full-time freestyle. Exciting times!
Totally agree with everything that you have stated!

This is what AB made Venz (who is a damn good wrestler BTW) look like yesterday.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

The apple didn't fall far from the tree. Great family, as with all the kids on Penn State's team.

I've never minded the exuberance after a win as long as it doesn't belittle the opponent or opponent's team or coaching staff, but there's a special place to me for those that win and lose with humility. And it's not just the words, Aaron is a terrific interview, it is his actions too.

It was funny to see him looking up into the stands next to me to smile and wave to his peeps. :) both at intros and after the win.

my 3 year old son like to pretend wrestle and he take on the personas of the penn state guys. last weekend he started out being carter starocci and quickly got a pretend pin so i asked him "ok, who's the next guy up?" and he responded ever so sweetly "somebody special... AARON BROOKS!" in his best announcer voice. so i think in my mind i'm always going to refer to AB as "somebody special, Aaron Brooks"

Fantastic young man. His maturity coupled with his humility makes me think that the University has its best ambassador.
Seriously—the dude is just money, and not just his wrestling. Listen to his presser from yesterday—he effortlessly turned every single question into an opportunity to praise his teammates. But goodness, the wrestling!
I could see AB with a future similar to what we have seen from David Taylor
  • After multiple NCAA championships, achieve great things in freestyle including World and Olympic medals
  • Take an interest in young wrestlers, doing speaking and camps; perhaps establish a training center
  • Do TV commentary for NCAA championships
  • Eventually get into coaching
But all of that depends on what he wants to do; if AB decided to leave wrestling, he would still have a great future in other endeavors.

I could see AB with a future similar to what we have seen from David Taylor
  • After multiple NCAA championships, achieve great things in freestyle including World and Olympic medals
  • Take an interest in young wrestlers, doing speaking and camps; perhaps establish a training center
  • Do TV commentary for NCAA championships
  • Eventually get into coaching
But all of that depends on what he wants to do; if AB decided to leave wrestling, he would still have a great future in other endeavors.

It would be cool if he set up an M2 style club in MD🙂

My favorite AB sequence ever was the third period defense vs Myles Amine. Amine was deep on the leg and SB fought him off for what seemed like forever. Ankle picks and cement mixers are fun but when I think about what can impact young wrestlers that defensive sequence stands out.

I will basically reiterate what many on this thread have said. I can’t praise this young man enough. His humility and positivity is matched by his determination, toughness and work ethic. His wrestling IQ is off the charts and his technique is near perfect. To sum it up, Penn State simply could not have a better ambassador and I will enjoy every time I get to see him wrestle for however long he chooses to stay.

WE ARE!!!

FWIW, if the team race is already decided by Sat night, I will be rooting for AB. Somehow he is able to portray extreme confidence AND remain humble simultaneously, which is not easy. As others have already mentioned, he is an excellent wrestler and has a style that is fun(yeah I said it) to watch.

PSU got a(nother) gem in AB.

FWIW, if the team race is already decided by Sat night, I will be rooting for AB. Somehow he is able to portray extreme confidence AND remain humble simultaneously, which is not easy. As others have already mentioned, he is an excellent wrestler and has a style that is fun(yeah I said it) to watch.

PSU got a(nother) gem in AB.
If the team race is decided Friday night, feel free to root for all our guys on Saturday.

We dont mind growing the sport.

Great thread Psalm1 guy! Being fortunate to be at the match yesterday, I was so impressed with Aaron's ability to get to Taylor V's leg and finish those TD's. I told my sister, you will not see a better TD clinic against a very good opponent as we just witnessed. Aaron is like poetry in motion or a master artist at his craft. We are spoiled and blessed to see many humble and skilled wrestlers put on that blue and white singlet and take the mat each week, for sure!

Great thread Psalm1 guy! Being fortunate to be at the match yesterday, I was so impressed with Aaron's ability to get to Taylor V's leg and finish those TD's. I told my sister, you will not see a better TD clinic against a very good opponent as we just witnessed. Aaron is like poetry in motion or a master artist at his craft. We are spoiled and blessed to see many humble and skilled wrestlers put on that blue and white singlet and take the mat each week, for sure!
Right up there ….

I guess you don’t read this board much. The next 5 titles are already in the bag
No, that’s inaccurate. Barring injuries, this year and next are nearly in the bag. After that Ohio State will be pretty damn tough for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT