ADVERTISEMENT

About those freshmen RBs

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
Singleton 1288 All Purpose Yards and 11 TDs. 863 rush yards (6.5 average), 55 receiving, 310 return yards.

Allen 904 All Purpose Yards and 10 TDs. 748 rush yards (5.5 average), 148 receiving yards, 8 return yards.

We are likely to have 2 true freshmen RBs with over 1000 yards and over 10 TDs.

Oh and true freshman Carter is 2nd in tackles and leads with 4.5 sacks (true freshman Dennis-Sutton is 4th with 3 in limited reps), leads in forced fumbles with 2, and 5th in passed defended with 4.

Meanwhile, true freshman Drew Shelton is your starting left tackle.

This is all Franklin's fault, I am sure of it. What is more depressing (to many) is the number of freshman and sophomore 3 stars brought in that are performing like 4-5 stars.

It is obvious it is time to replace the whole staff with the staff at Tennessee, Florida or Texas AM .. hell, any other staff will do.

Not - (tic)

Singleton 1288 All Purpose Yards and 11 TDs. 863 rush yards (6.5 average), 55 receiving, 310 return yards.

Allen 904 All Purpose Yards and 10 TDs. 748 rush yards (5.5 average), 148 receiving yards, 8 return yards.

Oh and true freshman Carter is 2nd in tackles and leads with 4.5 sacks (true freshman Dennis-Sutton is 4th with 3 in limited reps), leads in forced fumbles with 2, and 5th in passed defended with 4.

Based on this excerpt from the PSU Athletic site:

In 2015 Season: Broke Penn State's freshman (true or redshirt) season record with 1,076 rushing yards in 2015, surpassing D.J. Dozier's mark of 1,002 set in 1983...His 2015 season effort ranks 18th on the Penn State single-season rushing charts... Finished tied for first place on the Penn State true freshman season rushing touchdown (Dozier, 7) and 100-yard rushing games lists (Dozier, 5)...Broke Penn State freshman (true or redshirt) season record for all-purpose yards with 1,237, surpassing the mark set by Dozier (1,191; 1983).

The only record not still held by Saquon was TDs by a freshman - which was broken by Cain (9) in 2019 (Singleton and Allen have both already surpassed that record, so one of them is going to hold this record after the season.). Singleton broke Saquon's "All-Purpose Yards" by a freshman yesterday and is the new record-holder at 1,288 and still counting. Saquon is the Rushing Yards by a freshman record-holder @ 1,076 yards and Singleton still has a very realistic shot at breaking this one (Bowl Game stats are included in the record).

I was impressed by singleton’s acceleration when he saw the hole and didn’t need to worry about making cuts in the ko return. Allen has great moves and vision. The R db ran him down rather easily but I don’t know how fast that DB is. Allen has plenty of speed but looks to lack that long run speed that SB and singleton has. However he looks like he is more reliable in traffic and while trying to move the chains. By that I mean, if I need three yards, Allen looks more reliable than singleton.

Can’t wait to watch these two kids develop in the off season

I will add that another positive sign for this freshman class is just the sheer number seeing reps. Yes, Singleton, Allen, and Carter (I suppose even Shelton now already) are team leaders now.

But how can you not get excited about the depth of this class? Allar, Dennis-Sutton, Durant, Loane, and Evans are all already good enough to be reliable depth. Then there are a whole bunch of others that we haven't seen as much of but are getting good reviews in practice.

This doesn't even mention that we have quite a few suppa sophmores and RS Fr. There is a very talented young nucleus here to grow with as they mature.

I will add that another positive sign for this freshman class is just the sheer number seeing reps. Yes, Singleton, Allen, and Carter (I suppose even Shelton now already) are team leaders now.

But how can you not get excited about the depth of this class? Allar, Dennis-Sutton, Durant, Loane, and Evans are all already good enough to be reliable depth. Then there are a whole bunch of others that we haven't seen as much of but are getting good reviews in practice.

This doesn't even mention that we have quite a few suppa sophmores and RS Fr. There is a very talented young nucleus here to grow with as they mature.
While his passing wasn’t fantastic, it was fun to watch Allar run the ball. Passing is more difficult because it requires a lot more timing and trust…meaning game reps.

I was impressed by singleton’s acceleration when he saw the hole and didn’t need to worry about making cuts in the ko return. Allen has great moves and vision. The R db ran him down rather easily but I don’t know how fast that DB is. Allen has plenty of speed but looks to lack that long run speed that SB and singleton has. However he looks like he is more reliable in traffic and while trying to move the chains. By that I mean, if I need three yards, Allen looks more reliable than singleton.

Can’t wait to watch these two kids develop in the off season
At this early stage of their careers, Allen reminds me of Aaron Harris with his short area quickness and acceleration, while Singleton reminds me of Kijana Carter, one cut and go.

What do you think our WR rotation is next year?
I think that is going to determine how successful Allar can be.
our RB are fantastic
our Oline should be solid

I hope we see more of 18 and 82 next week and bowl game
6 needs some consistency
I just think we will miss a #1 guy unless a true freshman comes in
I like Dinkins too

on defense I am exited to see leap #33 makes

Reactions: royboy

And Allar is looking like he has the talent that his evaluations within his recruting indicated, and seems to have earned his PSU QB in waiting status.

Yep, hard to make a case towards the "stars don't matter" mentality.

It's no coincidence that the true freshmen that are making big impacts are the top rated players of the 2022 PSU recruiting class. As I remember Carter was not very aggressive in participating in camps and the activities that could have upped his 247 consensus rating, which is great for PSU and PSU fans as if he had advertised his talent more extensively maybe the playoff teams would have made a bigger push for him.

If Franklin could get over half of the immediate impact players yearly that he has gotten out of the 2022 class it would more than likely lead PSU into a 4 team playoff, but would surely make PSU a regular in the 12 team format proposed. But right now does anyone see 3 or 4 players from the 2023 commits that are likely to come in and make an immediate big impact in 2023? Williams, Rojas, Mack, Washington?? If I could pick a Christmas present for PSU football fans it would be a 6'2" 5-star/high-4-star WR flip from XXXX (pick a school from oh-high-ya, FSU, Oregon, Texas, FL, ND)......

Last edited:
Reactions: NCLION
At this early stage of their careers, Allen reminds me of Aaron Harris with his short area quickness and acceleration, while Singleton reminds me of Kijana Carter, one cut and go.
Yep. And without a full season to develop

They compliment each other well. Hope both get about 15 touches a game next year
I keep wondering whether one of them will decide they want to be the feature back somewhere instead of sharing carries and hit the portal.

I think Olu returning speaks volumes about the team mindset. I'm not saying we won't have any attrition of our best players, but there is a cohesiveness building when a 1st round pick announces his return this early.

Both our RBs are stars in the making. You don't come to Penn State behind Saquon and Miles and Journey to get noticed and transfer. You come here to get better and then turn pro.

And Allar is looking like he has the talent that his evaluations within his recruting indicated, and seems to have earned his PSU QB in waiting status.

Yep, hard to make a case towards the "stars don't matter" mentality.

It's no coincidence that the true freshmen that are making big impacts are the top rated players of the 2022 PSU recruiting class. As I remember Carter was not very aggressive in participating in camps and the activities that could have upped his 247 consensus rating, which is great for PSU and PSU fans as if he had advertised his talent more extensively maybe the playoff teams would have made a bigger push for him.

If Franklin could get over half of the immediate impact players yearly that he has gotten out of the 2022 class it would more than likely lead PSU into a 4 team playoff, but would surely make PSU a regular in the 12 team format proposed. But right now does anyone see 3 or 4 players from the 2023 commits that are likely to come in and make an immediate big impact in 2023? Williams, Rojas, Mack, Washington?? If I could pick a Christmas present for PSU football fans it would be a 6'2" 5-star/high-4-star WR flip from XXXX (pick a school from oh-high-ya, FSU, Oregon, Texas, FL, ND)......
So you want a Justin Shorter ...... lol

What do you think our WR rotation is next year?
I think that is going to determine how successful Allar can be.
our RB are fantastic
our Oline should be solid

I hope we see more of 18 and 82 next week and bowl game
6 needs some consistency
I just think we will miss a #1 guy unless a true freshman comes in
I like Dinkins too

on defense I am exited to see leap #33 makes
There are some real studs in the portal already. My bet they would want to play catch and catch with Drew on a team with a great defense and offense.

Reactions: NCLION
If Franklin could get over half of the immediate impact players yearly that he has gotten out of the 2022 class it would more than likely lead PSU into a 4 team playoff, but would surely make PSU a regular in the 12 team format proposed.

Franklin just needs to keep doing what he's doing to be a regular team in a 12 team playoff. The expanded format should be very beneficial as long as there is no fall off when the big ten expands.

We would have made a 12 team playoff in 16,17,18,19 and 22 with a bye in 2016.

Can we trade one of them for a 350 lb defense tackles that can’t be moved?

Franklin just needs to keep doing what he's doing to be a regular team in a 12 team playoff. The expanded format should be very beneficial as long as there is no fall off when the big ten expands.

And we can even advance if we don't get Big 10 refs.

Reactions: Bob2022

We would have made a 12 team playoff in 16,17,18,19 and 22 with a bye in 2016.
It would be nice to make a 4-team playoff before that goes away. And 2023 could be the year for PSU.

Reactions: 81b&w
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT