ADVERTISEMENT

Accurate analysis of the OSU game

Taking a sack is one of the best quarterback plays and a lot better than taking a chance.
Agree but, at the same time, you won't win by "taking sacks". At some point, you'be got to make a play. tOSU upped their game, across the board. PSU did not. Talent? Depth? QB? Everyone has an opinion. SC was trying to make plays at critical times. It would have helped if the WRs got open, backs picked up blitzes, the OL gave him more time, etc. SC, like every QB, gets to much praise when we win and too much blame when we lose.

He is not a great QB, we all get that. But I don't think we win by starting any other QB either.

Last edited:
Agree but, at the same time, you won't win by "taking sasks". At some point, you'be got to make a play. tOSU upped their game, across the board. PSU did not. Talent? Depth? QB? Everyone has an opinion. SC was trying to make plays at critical times. It would have helped if the WRs got open, backs picked up blitzes, the OL gave him more time, etc. SC, like every QB, gets to much praise when we win and too much blame when we lose.

He is not a great QB, we all get that. But I don't think we win by starting any other QB either.

It goes to recruiting. How better to up your recruiting game then to use the best quarterback in last year's class. I think Franklin has used the freshnan studs very well this year. Allar has shown good judgment when hes been in there so far and I don't think he'll lose a game. He may not win a close game, but I doubt if he loses it. We need for him to grow as fast as possible possible. I can accept either one but believe that playing Allar now, enhances future success on the field and success in attracting 5 star players. I have no animus for Clifford. I think Allar is a better choice now. Franklin did not rule it out and said such a decision would involve his staff. Either way has possible effects on morale the rest of this year. We need to finish 10-2 if possible. I also think we were short our two best OL players on Saturday.
PS How about the play of Parker Washington Saturday and the week before. Just saying,

It goes to recruiting. How better to up your recruiting game then to use the best quarterback in last year's class. I think Franklin has used the freshnan studs very well this year. Allar has shown good judgment when hes been in there so far and I don't think he'll lose a game. He may not win a close game, but I doubt if he loses it. We need for him to grow as fast as possible possible. I can accept either one but believe that playing Allar now, enhances future success on the field and success in attracting 5 star players. I have no animus for Clifford. I think Allar is a better choice now. Franklin did not rule it out and said such a decision would involve his staff. Either way has possible effects on morale the rest of this year. We need to finish 10-2 if possible. I also think we were short our two best OL players on Saturday.
PS How about the play of Parker Washington Saturday and the week before. Just saying,
true. but that has changed, substantially, with the portal and NIL. Today, every kid on the roster has to be, essentially, re-recruited.

Taking a sack is one of the best quarterback plays and a lot better than taking a chance.

??? Cliff wasn't getting sacked on any of the INT's. And the fumble showed how ridiculously "long and loopy" Cliff's motion is... #44 didn't really come close to tackling Cliff, but he easily swatted the ball from his hand because he was whooping it around like a loaf of bread way away from his body.

It goes to recruiting.
It goes to coaching. It always has and always will with Franklin. How did Heupel, in one year, get TN to take punches from AL and keep giving them back, ultimately winning game? CJF teams mentally collapse against roughly equal talent. He even struggles against lesser talent, like NW. It is lines. Front 5 on OL..it all starts there. Can't run the ball and forced to throw with middling QB in year 6.

It goes to coaching. It always has and always will with Franklin. How did Heupel, in one year, get TN to take punches from AL and keep giving them back, ultimately winning game? CJF teams mentally collapse against roughly equal talent. He even struggles against lesser talent, like NW. It is lines. Front 5 on OL..it all starts there. Can't run the ball and forced to throw with middling QB in year 6.
There is ample evidence that you are correct.

This is not a Supreme Court appointment. Time to give someone else a chance.

There is ample evidence that you are correct.

This is not a Supreme Court appointment. Time to give someone else a chance.
It has been established over 11 years that Franklin is a good, not great coach. It has been proven that his worldview, his recruiting philosophy and coaching style has a floor that is higher than many coaches but lower than the great ones. In the modern age of college football where there is tremendous diversity in playing styles, the transfer portal (worse thing to ever happen to the game), coaches that adapt the situation at hand (transfers, opponents) are going to succeed, those that can't, won't. Until Franklin changes, we will experience highs and lows on a yearly basis.

Agree but, at the same time, you won't win by "taking sacks".
But you do stay in the game and give yourself another chance.

There were missed blocks that gave OSU defenders a clean shot at Clifford and we have no idea if Allar would have held up any better. That said, I would hope that a 6th year senior could deal with the adversity and limit turnovers.

But you do stay in the game and give yourself another chance.

There were missed blocks that gave OSU defenders a clean shot at Clifford and we have no idea if Allar would have held up any better. That said, I would hope that a 6th year senior could deal with the adversity and limit turnovers.
I don't disagree but sooner or later, you've got to make that throw and hope for a positive result.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT