ADVERTISEMENT

Across Free Bridge: The Storied Rivalry Of Phillipsburg, NJ, & Easton, PA

SJP80

Sep 22, 2013
This is a PRO ($$) article on Flo, so I did not attempt to link the story. It's a good story, however I find it super interesting and ironic that Flo would write a story about a wrestling rivalry which is right in Willie's backyard and he certainly would have experienced. There are probably a hundred other comparable high school rivalries, but they pick Easton-Phillipsburg. Not a Smalls quote to be found anywhere in the article!!!

This is a PRO ($$) article on Flo, so I did not attempt to link the story. It's a good story, however I find it super interesting and ironic that Flo would write a story about a wrestling rivalry which is right in Willie's backyard and he certainly would have experienced. There are probably a hundred other comparable high school rivalries, but they pick Easton-Phillipsburg. Not a Smalls quote to be found anywhere in the article!!!
Traveled that bridge many times in high school to buy beer in Phillipsburg from Northampton. 18 years old in NJ and 21 years in PA

That's funny. I did the same thing with the Tacony Palmyra bridge. Bet you are in the 58 range!!!

We paid 75 cents to use the Ben Franklin to cross over to Jersey and spent most our money on beer and food but always saved a dime so we could cross back to PA on the Tacony Palmyra.

Holy hell! That story makes me sound like an old man.

Been across that bridge many times. There was an establishment right across the bridge on the Jersey side, the Boxcar, where you wiped your feet on the way out. Got the chance to wrestle in "The Pit" back in the 80's. Man, those rabid fans were right on top of you, and yes, you heard them, and yes they were ruthless. Lol.

Being from Bangor we would go over Belvedere Free Bridge if we were buying package goods. If we were going Bar hopping,it was the Portland Bridge Route 94 towards Blairstown. The wee hour night cap was the Hainseburg Inn which had 23 hour liquor license. Then the the Columbia Truck Stop for breakfast.
For time frame I'm 58 , graduated BHS 1979

Being from Bangor we would go over Belvedere Free Bridge if we were buying package goods. If we were going Bar hopping,it was the Portland Bridge Route 94 towards Blairstown. The wee hour night cap was the Hainseburg Inn which had 23 hour liquor license. Then the the Columbia Truck Stop for breakfast.
Call, if you drove all the way to Bango to bar hop, bet you stopped at Carters for the drive to Bangor ? I probably passed you on the way into Carters.
Fellow ‘79 BHS grad.

I worked two summers at Bangor Glass Works. Owned by the Wagners. I graduated with the son, Eddie, from Northampton in 1980. Heck of a guy and a decent heavyweight wrestler. Massive arms. And a beautiful 57 Chevy. He had to wrestle some monsters back then, as heavy was unlimited I believe.

I worked two summers at Bangor Glass Works. Owned by the Wagners. I graduated with the son, Eddie, from Northampton in 1980. Heck of a guy and a decent heavyweight wrestler. Massive arms. And a beautiful 57 Chevy. He had to wrestle some monsters back then, as heavy was unlimited I believe.
The Wagner's sold business last year. Eddie Jr. needed carpa tunnel surgery on both hands.
I own the monument company just up the road.

Reactions: CentexLion
Call, if you drove all the way to Bango to bar hop, bet you stopped at Carters for the drive to Bangor ? I probably passed you on the way into Carters.
Fellow ‘79 BHS grad.
If you went over Portland Bridge and made Right on Route 46 which runs along the Delaware there was a bar about every half mile for about a 10 mile stretch.Starting with Log Cabin and ending at Island Park with the classic must stops at Skirvy Ervs(Vitale's) and Ethel's . Depending on what time it was you would have a couple of hotdogs at Johnny's.
They changed the the drinking age to 21 shortly after we turned 18 but they grandfathered us. Most of the Bars closed within a couple of years after the legal age went back to 21. Log Cabin still is in business.

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin310
A general comment about the New Jersey border situation during the mid 1970s thru early 1980s. Going drinking in high school during the weekends and summer vocation was the norm. We were issued paper drivers license with no picture on it. So between borrowing a legal age friends license or taking advantage of Whiteout. It started when were Juniors.
It was a different time in our society. Was it right? No,but it was far less complicated than what is going on today.
I own a cemetery memorial company and have seen the devastation drunk driving can cause. But what truly is an epidemic , is the opioid problem that the young people are dealing with. In the last 3 years , the uptick of overdose death's in our area is horrific.
The same government that was pro active on the drinking and cigarette laws have to do more on the Opioid epidemic.

A general comment about the New Jersey border situation during the mid 1970s thru early 1980s. Going drinking in high school during the weekends and summer vocation was the norm. We were issued paper drivers license with no picture on it. So between borrowing a legal age friends license or taking advantage of Whiteout. It started when were Juniors.
It was a different time in our society. Was it right? No,but it was far less complicated than what is going on today.
I own a cemetery memorial company and have seen the devastation drunk driving can cause. But what truly is an epidemic , is the opioid problem that the young people are dealing with. In the last 3 years , the uptick of overdose death's in our area is horrific.
The same government that was pro active on the drinking and cigarette laws have to do more on the Opioid epidemic.

You would be familiar with part of my family. My Dad played football there in early early to mid 50s. Uncle and cousin still there and you would know them all. Funny such a small world.....

You would be familiar with part of my family. My Dad played football there in early early to mid 50s. Uncle and cousin still there and you would know them all. Funny such a small world.....

Oh, and I was part of this Rivalry back in the day. It's a Great Rivalry no doubt, but agree with OP, this is digging at Willie!

Uphill both ways right lmfao

Sorry, if slightly off topic....Both of my parents grew up in Easton, and graduated in late 50's, early 60s (Mom from ND, Dad from Easton). I grew up hearing stories about the Easton - Pburg football rivalry. My Dad had good friends who wrestled in Easton back in the 50s. I'm not a Flo subscriber, but this topic brings back wonderful childhood memories of the Easton - Pburg rivalry. I also love the stories of who makes the best hot dogs between Jimmy's and Richards and Toby's. They're all fantastic IMO.

If we went to Pburg to have some fun we would go to Castle Inn which was just over the Free Bridge going up hill . Around 10 o'clock we would walk down to Jimmy's to have a couple of Hotdogs. If you wanted ,mustard, onions,and pickle. It was
" 2 with".
No reason to say anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ja1339
Been across that bridge many times. There was an establishment right across the bridge on the Jersey side, the Boxcar, where you wiped your feet on the way out. Got the chance to wrestle in "The Pit" back in the 80's. Man, those rabid fans were right on top of you, and yes, you heard them, and yes they were ruthless. Lol.

Never heard of it. :)

John Prine wrote a powerful song about the opioid horror due to the death of his friend's (the mayor of Nashville) son. Unfortunately it appears that this devastation is destined to ultimately touch all of us as his music video shows.

If we went to Pburg to have some fun we would go to Castle Inn which was just over the Free Bridge going up hill . Around 10 o'clock we would walk down to Jimmy's to have a couple of Hotdogs. If you wanted ,mustard, onions,and pickle. It was
" 2 with".
No reason to say anything else.
Stall- I believe you saw my cousin last night. Small World indeed.....

Sorry, if slightly off topic....Both of my parents grew up in Easton, and graduated in late 50's, early 60s (Mom from ND, Dad from Easton). I grew up hearing stories about the Easton - Pburg football rivalry. My Dad had good friends who wrestled in Easton back in the 50s. I'm not a Flo subscriber, but this topic brings back wonderful childhood memories of the Easton - Pburg rivalry. I also love the stories of who makes the best hot dogs between Jimmy's and Richards and Toby's. They're all fantastic IMO.

A better rivalry was Northampton vs. P-burg.

For about a 4 year run the Nazareth- Northampton wrestling rivalry was the best in the country.
What makes the Easton - Pburg rivalry great in football and wrestling is the fact they are 2 of the best schools at those sports in the State they represent. For instance I think Easton is third for most football wins in Pennsylvania.

John Prine wrote a powerful song about the opioid horror due to the death of his friend's (the mayor of Nashville) son. Unfortunately it appears that this devastation is destined to ultimately touch all of us as his music video shows.
I graduated HS in 1981, my son 2009, he has lost more from his graduating class than I have, his due to opioid abuse...

For about a 4 year run the Nazareth- Northampton wrestling rivalry was the best in the country.
What makes the Easton - Pburg rivalry great in football and wrestling is the fact they are 2 of the best schools at those sports in the State they represent. For instance I think Easton is third for most football wins in Pennsylvania.

Easton football is #2 in PA, and #7 in the country. Since I haven't lived in Easton for a long time I don't know the recent history of Easton wrestling, but back in the 60's and 70's the Rovers were pretty darn good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT