ADVERTISEMENT

After a night of drinking and despair

JosephNit

Sep 10, 2017
You’ve got to be kidding me, man. Not two weeks in a row. And the irony is that even after the heartbreaker last Saturday, it was still all there for the taking yesterday. With the Bucks laying an egg at Iowa, if we had only pulled out the W, the entire fiasco in Columbus would have been forgotten. The spotlight would have been on us again.

Oh well. If, if, if. Didn’t happen.

Speaking of Ohio State, yeah, that’s the only consolation this morning. Sorry, Urban, but even Delany and all his connections, which put your team in the playoffs two years of the last three, ain’t gonna be able to repair the damage from yesterday. You boys is d-e-a-d. Haha! What would really be nice is for Ohio State to win out, ruin Wisconsin’s chances in the championship, and still not get to the playoffs. Oh dear, I would feel so terribly sorry for our poor conference and its esteemed commissioner. NOT!

That said, honestly, I think I'd rather be blown out like Ohio State was yesterday than suffer the kind of excruciating losses we have the last two weeks.

But back to the game, here’s the thing: either the kids who play QB at Ohio State and Michigan State are facsimiles of John Unitas, budding superstars of wondrous and hidden talent. OR: our defense has some serious deficiencies that were masked during the first seven heady weeks of the season. I’m inclined to go with Explanation Number Two.

On the other side of the ball, the neutralization of the running game and complete shutdown of the best back in college football can not be a shock at this point. Lest we forget, Georgia freakin’ State took away the Read Option. Every team in the conference has now figured it out. It’s too slow in developing and has squandered Barkley’s superb skills. We can’t scrap the entire offensive scheme at this late date, but Jomo and Franklin need to find a way to introduce some wrinkles into the running game.

At the end of the day, the difference between a great team and a good team is that great teams make plays at critical times. The difference between winning and losing the last two weeks has been the failure to make a play, just one play, at various times in the fourth quarter when one play would likely have saved the W.

The point being: we’re not a great team. On the other hand, we are a good team, which realistically might be as much as could be hoped for at this point post-sanctions. Still, it was all there on the table. Just one or two plays, man. That really sucks.

Reactions: Burb and 84Lion
Spot on post

Was just watching ESPN and Booger McFarland was quite critical of the play calling, specifically the running plays. Repeating what many have been saying here

it was still all there for the taking

That's what's so frustrating. It was there last week too. Had PSU won last week, the weather still would have been there in East Lansing, but the confidence level would've been a lot different. OSU probably still would've got tromped by the Hawks. PSU is less than a touchdown away from being undefeated.

It's obvious at this point that PSU has some talented skill players but just not solid enough on the lines (defense and offense) to establish themselves. And I agree with the play calling issues and "slow developing" thing. Barkley has great speed once he's going and great ability to make defenders miss...but if defenders meet him in the backfield he obviously hasn't the ability to get going in the first place.

Well, the staff will have some work to do in order to salvage the remainder of the season, and prepare a solid plan in the offseason for next season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT