ADVERTISEMENT

All-Star Classic Discussion Thread

@jrod65 come on. Warner was throwing right crosses that you could hear through the feed

Of course there have been far, far worse transgressions during matches(many by my Hawkeyes) than a thumb to the throat.

@jrod65 you’re going to complain about an inadvertent, one millisecond thumb to the neck by Kerk? And now you got the crazies posting Kerk did it the entire match. From what I see, it went there through hand-fighting; it didn’t go there directly from Kerk and it certainly didn’t stay there.

As far as the rest of your post, I 100% disagree.

Reactions: mcpat
Just watch Lewis after every restart from neutral. The whistle blows and he literally moves backwards instantly. It’s a shame because the Lewis we saw vs Vincenzo was exciting, even if I hated the result.
When I wrestled HS in the 80s this was defined as stalling. If the ref blew the whistle and your foot moved backwards off the line, it was stalling. Am I remembering wrong, or is that not a rule, or no longer a rule, or never called?

Agree though, it’s unclear how Lewis thought he was going to score a point other than an escape. I don’t exaggerate when I say his total time in attempting something offensive, albeit on counters, was about 5 seconds. Carter pushed the whole match.

Hmmm. Interesting debate. Mekhi has a title but he certainly didn’t wrestle like it last night. He never gave himself a chance to beat Carter.
Wino’s got a point, but Carter barely beat him again, one fluke TD by Mekhi and things look way different.

AB on the other hand, left zero doubt. He could have taken him down 10-12 times.

Full disclosure… not sure why Keck is #2.

Edit, Clay beat me too it lol.

Wino’s got a point, but Carter barely beat him again, one fluke TD by Mekhi and things look way different.

AB on the other hand, left zero doubt. He could have taken him down 10-12 times.

Parker beat Trent in the consi semis in March and placed 3rd—I assume that’s why. But I agree, Trent’s strategy vs Aaron will mean that match is always closer.

Sure that was a 2 point match, but from the POV of aggression, position, control and dominance, it wasn't that close.

My hat's off to Mekhi, as he got out of at least 2 guaranteed takedowns for Carter against anyone not #2. Finishing when in deep is something Carter will work on, and add another 2-4 point cushion. We saw the same inability for Carter to finish while in deep on Kem earlier last year. It's only November.

We are so blessed to be witness to what Cael has built. For an early season expo, I can't be more impressed with our performance across all the matches. Impressive.

@jrod65 come on. Warner was throwing right crosses that you could hear through the feed and you’re going to complain about an inadvertent, one millisecond thumb to the neck by Kerk? And now you got the crazies posting Kerk did it the entire match. From what I see, it went there through hand-fighting; it didn’t go there directly from Kerk and it certainly didn’t stay there.
Kerk's thumb to the neck is nothing compared to the landlord's boot on his neck.

Would someone give an assessment of Cassioppi’s reversal on Kerk late in the second? It seems like Kerk has leveled up and separated himself from Cassioppi at this point. That said, a brief moment of complacency or sloppiness can turn a match around in a second and it would be the only concern I have for Kerk vs Cassioppi going forward.

He beat Hidlay head-to-head last March, finished higher than him at NCAAs, had a higher winning percentage last year, and has a better record against common opponents. They're very close, but I think Keckeisen is the clear #2.

Would someone give an assessment of Cassioppi’s reversal on Kerk late in the second? It seems like Kerk has leveled up and separated himself from Cassioppi at this point. That said, a brief moment of complacency or sloppiness can turn a match around in a second and it would be the only concern I have for Kerk vs Cassioppi going forward.
Seemed Kerk was trying out a new leg ride against the big boy. Normally don’t see that at HWT especially against a powerful opponent. I love that the PSU coaches always seem to come up with a new wrinkle always innovating.

Kerk did rack up RT. But I think he may abandon that ride next time or just know when trouble is coming and abandon it sooner

Carter definetly added some stuff on top as well. Scary..elite atheletes with innovative, elite coaching. Dangerous combo

Hmmm. Interesting debate. Mekhi has a title but he certainly didn’t wrestle like it last night. He never gave himself a chance to beat Carter.
Keeping it to a 1 point match is the ONLY way Mekhi can beat Carter. It was his best chance. He tries to get in a slugfest with Carter and he gets beat as bad as AB beat Keckeisen. I would love to watch Carter and AB go at it. That would be a show!

Keeping it to a 1 point match is the ONLY way Mekhi can beat Carter. It was his best chance. He tries to get in a slugfest with Carter and he gets beat as bad as AB beat Keckeisen. I would love to watch Carter and AB go at it. That would be a show!
Carter WILL get a TD next time.
He ran out of time with a single high in air, he gets that with time on clock and its TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reactions: 82bordeaux
I thought if Kerk would have committed to an arm lock around Cass’s other leg, he could have turned it into back points.

I can’t remember that move’s name. :(. Boot in, grab the other leg, lift it and put the man on his back spread eagle.

I thought if Kerk would have committed to an arm lock around Cass’s other leg, he could have turned it into back points.

I can’t remember that move’s name. :(. Boot in, grab the other leg, lift it and put the man on his back spread eagle.
Ask Sammy Brooks

Saw the same thing and Im sitting there thinking… If he spladles that big bastard Im turning the other way.

Ask Sammy Brooks

Saw the same thing and Im sitting there thinking… If he spladles that big bastard Im turning the other way.
I usually think of a spladle as thrown defensively when the opponent is in on a single (and his head ends up off the mat while on his back), but I guess its still a spladle when offensively thrown from a boot.

I usually think of a spladle as thrown defensively when the opponent is in on a single (and his head ends up off the mat while on his back), but I guess its still a spladle when thrown from a boot.
I didn’t see the match, but I’m guessing you are thinking what I grew up calling a ‘banana split’. If you are using the same-side leg (your right hooking over opponent’s right, or your left over his left), it is a banana split. If using the opposite leg (your left laced under his right, or your right under his left — ala when defending a head-inside single as you noted), it is a spladle. The difference in the resulting position is where the opponent’s head ends up — tucked into your gut in a spladle (almost inescapable), or pretty much free and clear in a banana split (good for backs like a tilt, but seldom leads to a pin).

Spladle is typically a counter move, but masters can “create” it for offense. Banana split is an offensive move all the way, forced by a guy riding w/ a boot in as you noted. Q used to implement the split, IIRC.

I didn’t see the match, but I’m guessing you are thinking what I grew up calling a ‘banana split’. If you are using the same-side leg (your right hooking over opponent’s right, or your left over his left), it is a banana split. If using the opposite leg (your left laced under his right, or your right under his left — ala when defending a head-inside single as you noted), it is a spladle.

Spladle is typically a counter move, but masters can “create” it for offense. Banana split is an offensive move all the way, forced by a guy riding w/ a boot in as you noted.
Thank you cause I was looking for wrestling card to turn in as well (I was already asked for my man card last weekend.)

I usually think of a spladle as thrown defensively when the opponent is in on a single (and his head ends up off the mat while on his back), but I guess its still a spladle when offensively thrown from a boot.
You are correct. But it almost got more defensive the second time he put that leg in and was shrugged to his hip/ass and was put in a more defensive posture. In fact, Greg almost switched from far side leg ride to near side at one point as he was getting in trouble. But then he got reversed.
That said, it is a lot of thigh you're trying to pull apart and a lot of weight on you. Very risky maneuver for the big guys. He bailed and gave up the reversal. I just don't think I like him with a leg ride on a man the size and strength of Cass.

McPat is referring to a Banana split. The Spladle is a different move than the Banana split, and the third move that is often confusing to people is the Petersen.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Mekhi is such a physical talent and he is virtually impossible to takedown. Carter's TD in the 3rd last year was basically sheer will as Mekhi was fighting it off and Carter was just thinking "I will not lose this match"

I doubt Carter is satisfied with his win though and I'm sure Cael and company will adjust for the next meeting with something new.

Spladle is typically a counter move, but masters can “create” it for offense. Banana split is an offensive move all the way, forced by a guy riding w/ a boot in as you noted. Q used to implement the split, IIRC.
Our HS had a different name for everything, it seems. What used to be called the "banana split", we called a "can opener". I always preferred that name, cause it described the move perfectly. We called a headlock a "bullmoose". Cool name, but not descriptive.
Also, a shoulder roll was a different move from a Granby. I see a lot of people calling a shoulder roll a Granby, now.

Reactions: slushhead
I couldn’t believe Lewis got out of the one Starocci TD attempt in the 2nd period. No one else gets out of that.

TBH… Aaron did the same on the last second TD. Aaron was well ahead, but he let his guard down a bit at the end. Same thing against Amine at NCAAs. Nothing to worry about, as he had both matches won, and they were against great opponents, but it did happen.

Reactions: Zukovski
TBH… Aaron did the same on the last second TD. Aaron was well ahead, but he let his guard down a bit at the end. Same thing against Amine at NCAAs. Nothing to worry about, as he had both matches won, and they were against great opponents, but it did happen.
A little bit different, though. The TD Aaron gave up was very late and had no impact at all, changing it from a 6 to a 4 point win. However, Kerk was up 5-1 when he gave up the reversal, making it a 5-3 match with the whole 3rd upcoming. Cassioppi got the escape to start the 3rd and all of sudden, a match that Kerk was dominating was a 1 point match with almost the entire 3rd remaining.

Reactions: mcpat
A short while into the 3rd period, I became convinced that Gomez could get that takedown whenever he wanted it. He was behind, so he got an immediate escape, instant takedown, let Sasso up, instant takedown. He could have done that all day. I just think he didn't want to give too much away for future reference.

CStar was another guy who did enough to win without opening the vault. He could have ridden Lewis till tomorrow. Lewis was going nowhere. Carter could have played the takedown game. Instead he decided to show Lewis who's boss. Lewis is great, but CStar has everyone's number. He's a guy who knows how to win.
Watching Carter ride Lewis reminds me of the story about Cael and Snyder bantering and Snyder ask Cael, seriously you think u could ride me for 5 minutes? Cael answered, 5 days. I could ride u for 5 days.

Carter could have controlled Lewis for 5 days.

ADVERTISEMENT