ADVERTISEMENT

All-Star Classic Discussion Thread

I used to love the petersen, I used it a lot and had success until some monster kid from Bald Eagle Nittany(now defunct high school) flipped me back over after I hit it: That's the problem with that move, how to get back on a top rider position because your back is to the opponent after its hit.

In my high school, the CBC was known as the Indiana Hook. In other schools in my locale, I heard it called the Ohio Snag. I don't know the origin of either term.

The Can Opener and Banana Split were known collectively as the "Saturday Night Ride." The move rarely resulted in a pin but usually yielded in a 3 point near fall, or under different circumstances, third base.
I remember when Schalles came to our practice, because one of our assistant coaches was a Clarion wrestler with him, he showed us about 10 moves I immediately forgot because I was so in awe of Schalles lol...I was just thrilled to be in the same room with one of my idols.

Reactions: danoftw
We were taught and then constantly used the petersen in junior high. Set it up from a sit out. Grab the wrist and roll. Worked all the time for five. In junior high.

For whatever the reason, in high school we became more of a standup / standing switch team.

Definitely used legs. Three quarter Nelson to a half, kick over cross face (from cross body ride), guillotine and, now that someone said it, double grapevine is what we called the move I couldn’t remember.

I’ve talked about Joey Wildasin before. I remember thinking how can someone that good on top not use legs? Everyone used legs, it seemed, in the late 80s. But Joey ran bars or stuck his head in his opponent’s armpit while extending and turning his opponent’s arm. He’d get his head under the armpit and turn the guy into a half nelson. I think if there were announcers, you would have heard “he’s got the chin” a lot.

We were taught and then constantly used the petersen in junior high. Set it up from a sit out. Grab the wrist and roll. Worked all the time for five. In junior high.

For whatever the reason, in high school we became more of a standup / standing switch team.

Definitely used legs. Three quarter Nelson to a half, kick over cross face (from cross body ride), guillotine and, now that someone said it, double grapevine is what we called the move I couldn’t remember.

I’ve talked about Joey Wildasin before. I remember thinking how can someone that good on top not use legs? Everyone used legs, it seemed, in the late 80s. But Joey ran bars or stuck his head in his opponent’s armpit while extending and turning his opponent’s arm. He’d get his head under the armpit and turn the guy into a half nelson. I think if there were announcers, you would have heard “he’s got the chin” a lot.
We won our first ICWL championship when towards the end of the tourney, one of my finalists who was down by 4 threw a peterson with less than 8 seconds to go. 5 points and the win.
Speaking of Wildasin, another one of my kids beat Joey in the MAWA finals. My kid was 80-0 at the time and Joey was 100-0. Weird. 7 years later they met again in the PIAA finals. The outcome wasn't the same.

So far stream as clean as a whistle. Hopefully this continues
Defending him is very noble, but there are numerous reasons I have him on Ignore here. I'd suggest HR do the same if they haven't already.
L I o
Cross body ride is what we called it in high school. And chicken wing was a standard pin back then. We had a really strong kid who used what we called a "CBC". When his opponent stood up, he put one hand between the guy's legs and lifted him up and threw him down. CBC stood for cross-ball carry.
We called that a camel clutch for some reason.

ADVERTISEMENT