ADVERTISEMENT

All-Star Classic predictions

jrod65

Jan 21, 2019
All Star classic is tomorrow night. Let's get some predictions going.

Shocker, but I'm taking both Warner and Cass to win. I'm buying into the Warnerov hype and saying he wins by 4. Cass has made me look real stupid by picking against him in previous matchups, so Big Tone gets my vote until he retires from competing! Honestly though, whatever the outcome between he and Kerk, both fanbases have every right to be confident in "their" guy for the postseason. Should be a good battle.

Rest of my picks:

McKee wbf over Terukina
McGee by dec over Byrd
Andonian dec over Lewan
Matthews dec over Alirez
Sasso dec over Gomez
Brooks dec over Keckeisen
O'Toole dec over Hamiti
Carr dec over Monday
Starocci dec over Lewis

Kimber over Corbett-dont know much other than Kimber just beat her at the Missouri Valley Open

Makoyed tf/fall over Lee
Nwachukwu dec over Boyd- honestly dont know, but she wrestles for an Iowa school
Shilson tf over Prussin - Prussin is damn good, but Shilson is a freakin pitbull.

I have
125- McKee
133-McGee
157-Andonian
141-Alirez
149-Gomez
197-Elam
184-Brooks
165-O’Toole
165-Carr
Heavy-Kerk
174-Starocci

I really don’t know about the girls wrestling so I won’t make predictions.

Reactions: jrod65
125: McKee MAJ Terukina
133: Byrd DEC McGee
141: Matthews DEC Alirez
157: Andonian DEC Lewan
149: Gomez DEC Sasso
184: Brooks DEC Keckeisen
165: O'Toole MAJ Hamiti
165: Carr MAJ Monday
197: Warner DEC Elam
285: Kerkvliet MAJ Cassioppi
174: Starocci DEC Lewis

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mcpat and PASLP2
125: McKee MAJ Terukina
133: Byrd DEC McGee
157: Andonian DEC Lewan
149: Gomez DEC Sasso
184: Brooks DEC Keckeisen
165: O'Toole MAJ Hamiti
165: Carr MAJ Monday
197: Warner DEC Elam
285: Kerkvliet MAJ Cassioppi
174: Starocci DEC Lewis
2Lunches...
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I can't wait to see the fuzzy, distorted replay of this, compliments of flo. If someone could post it for me it would be much appreciated

I’ll be interested to see Starocci - Lewis. Their NCAA final was incredible. Starocci looked a little off, I thought, against Lock Haven, which I speculated might have been due to taking a break after U23 worlds.

predicting him to major Cass is just bold
There was no rule against bold predictions, even if they weren't explicitly requested.

Kerk looked pretty good to me, using my eye test, in Rec Hall vs Lock Haven.

Kerk's had a full year healthy in the room. I expect him to almost exclusively shoot from space and stay out of over-and-unders or body locks. I expect ankle picks, at will. I expect nearfall. I expect him to not be ridden.

Most recognize he was a brainfart away from winning the last match at far less than 100%. But that one slipped away, and kudos to Big Tony for continuing to press.

So my expectations sounds like a formula for a major to me. Actually, I tempered it a bit by predicting only a major. I didn't want to buck conventional wisdom too much.

It's about time Greg's recruitment at such a higher pound-for-pound ranking vs Big Tony pays off, no?

I’ll be interested to see Starocci - Lewis. Their NCAA final was incredible. Starocci looked a little off, I thought, against Lock Haven, which I speculated might have been due to taking a break after U23 worlds.
Or maybe he had mono.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Starocci looked a little off, I thought, against Lock Haven, which I speculated might have been due to taking a break after U23 worlds.
Agreed. Then again he did have a broken hand throughout last year's NCAAs.

Deakin road out Nolf (albeit to negative points) and Nolf turned out okay afterwards.

Mekhi only won his last match 3-2 match vs Ethan Smith, who lost to Lenox Womak of Columbia. That result doesn't indicate Mekhi has entered the season in top form.

Reactions: mcpat
Carter's "looking off" is a 14-pt win over a guy who was #1 at his weight in HS, who choked him from top.
True. But getting ridden for most of the 3rd period looked off to me. I don’t recall ever seeing him be ridden for that kind of time before and he’s wrestled from bottom against better wrestlers.

Mekhi only won his last match 3-2 match vs Ethan Smith, who lost to Lenox Womak of Columbia. That result doesn't indicate Mekhi has entered the season in top form.
Season tix holder at PSU (since 80’s) and VT. Lewis is a stud, but, he’s a conservative wrestler. He beats several ACC opponents each year by close scores. Perhaps it’s his coaches or maybe his competitive spirit is inconsistent. In any case, he will have to bring his A game and a new strategy if he wants to beat CStar.

Last edited:
If someone can hypnotize McKee into thinking those is the blood round of the ncaa, then hes going to win no matter who he wrestles: In the consy bracket that kid is Gable, Cael, Schalles, and Gene Mills all rolled into one 😆

Kerk - Cass is so intriguing to me, and obviously this isn’t the result that matters. I think Greg is technically improving and healthy enough to beat previous versions of Cass. But Cass was dinged as well in the close one last year and he took some of his size back since. Kerk has to be clean and decisive or Cass could still challenge him, particularly from top. Backs go a long way.

And honestly, I’d be a huge Cass fan if he wore the white belt. This is fun. Bring it home, Greg.

Kerk - Cass is so intriguing to me, and obviously this isn’t the result that matters. I think Greg is technically improving and healthy enough to beat previous versions of Cass. But Cass was dinged as well in the close one last year and he took some of his size back since. Kerk has to be clean and decisive or Cass could still challenge him, particularly from top. Backs go a long way.

And honestly, I’d be a huge Cass fan if he wore the white belt. This is fun. Bring it home, Greg.
Not that Kerk and coaches don't want to win, but as said, this isn't the one that matters. Wonder if they game plan to try some stuff out, win or lose, in prep for their future meetings.

125- McKee (MIN) MD Terukina (ISU)
133-McGee (ASU) Dec Byrd (IL)
157- Lewan (UM) Dec Andonian (VT)
141- Matthews (PIT) Dec (SV) Alirez (UNCO)
149-Gomez (UWM) Dec Sasso (tOSU)
184- Brooks (PSU) MD Keckeisen (UNI)
165- O'Toole (Mizzou) FALL Hamiti (UWM)
165- Carr (ISU) Dec (SV) Monday (PU)
197- Warner (Iowa) Dec Elam (Mizzou)
285- Kerk (PSU) Dec Cassiopi (Iowa)
174- Starocci (PSU) Dec Lewis (VT)

Reactions: jrod65
Season tix holder at PSU (since 80’s) and VT. Lewis is a stud, but, he’s a conservative wrestler. He beats several ACC opponents each year by close scores. Perhaps it’s his coaches or maybe his competitive spirit is inconsistent. In any case, he will have to bring his A game and a new strategy if he wants to beat CStar.
Bacca: forgive me for asking, but I'm just curious what you mean by season tix holder at VT. You've said that a few times on this board. FYI, I attended last year's VT-UNC dual and got in for free and sat wherever I wanted. It was not a capacity crowd.

There was no rule against bold predictions, even if they weren't explicitly requested.

Kerk looked pretty good to me, using my eye test, in Rec Hall vs Lock Haven.

Kerk's had a full year healthy in the room. I expect him to almost exclusively shoot from space and stay out of over-and-unders or body locks. I expect ankle picks, at will. I expect nearfall. I expect him to not be ridden.

Most recognize he was a brainfart away from winning the last match at far less than 100%. But that one slipped away, and kudos to Big Tony for continuing to press.

So my expectations sounds like a formula for a major to me. Actually, I tempered it a bit by predicting only a major. I didn't want to buck conventional wisdom too much.

It's about time Greg's recruitment at such a higher pound-for-pound ranking vs Big Tony pays off, no?

I’m as big a PSU homer as the next guy, but man I think we may taking Cass too lightly (no pun intended).

Hope like heck you’re right 98, I’ll be thrilled with a Kerk victory.

great era of heavyweight wrestling. tons of guys who attack and are fun to watch. my money's on kerk this year. i think he takes control of the weight.

ADVERTISEMENT