ADVERTISEMENT

All Star Classic (Rec Hall) Tickets - go on sale Monday

Sounds like season tick holders will get 2.5 hour early access, and the dreaded NLC (not NLWC nor PSWC), members 1.5 hour.
Maybe someone should tell Flo we have two clubs that support wrestling at Penn State, but don't tell Vodka.

Feels like an additional home match.

The 2023 NWCA All-Star Classic is coming to Rec Hall on Tuesday, November 21 at 7 p.m.! The below Penn State student-athletes are scheduled to participate.

Aaron Brooks

Levi Haines

Greg Kerkvliet

Carter Starocci

Bernie Truax

Shayne Van Ness

Reactions: JimNazium
Would love to clarify if it's:
  • Nittany Lion Wrestling Club
  • Penn State Wrestling Club
  • Nittany Lion Club
Or some combination--but the season ticket holders will probably scoop many of the tickets up first regardless.

Full card: 🔥🔥🔥

125: #1 Matt Ramos, Purdue vs #2 Anthony Noto, Lock Haven

133: #4 Sam Latona, Virginia Tech vs #6 Connor McGonagle, Lehigh

141: #3 Lachlan McNeil, North Carolina vs #6 Clay Carlson, South Dakota State

149: #2 Shayne Van Ness, Penn State vs #3 Kyle Parco, Arizona State

157: #1 Levi Haines, Penn State vs #4 Jacori Teemer, Arizona State

165: #4 Dean Hamiti, Wisconsin vs #6 Izzak Olejnik, Oklahoma State

174: #1 Carter Starocci, Penn State vs #3 Mekhi Lewis, Virginia Tech

184: #1 Parker Keckeisen, Northern Iowa vs #2 Bernie Truax, Penn State

197: #1 Aaron Brooks, Penn State vs #2 Tanner Sloan, South Dakota State

285: #1 Greg Kerkvliet, Penn State vs #2 Wyatt Hendrickson, Air Force

Last edited:
Don't hate me. I had tickets during the Sunderland years! ;)
Sigh. I went to duals back then (plus Lorenzo & Fritz), but season tickets weren't a requirement then. I get a season ticket every year, but it's from a guy who doesn't do computers, which makes things like this tough.

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
It’s pretty much a PSU dual meet. I wonder why BB and Nagao aren’t wrestling. Nagao probably because he was banged up recently. I love that all these kids put it on the line for this event. Some huge matchups especially at 174, 184, and heavy. 197 as well but I think AB beats Sloan handily

And it’s on Flo… terrible. What a great event, which should be at the BJC and on ESPN for proper exposure of wrestling! PSU season ticket holders will be the only ones in attendance and only a fool subscribes to Flo broadcasts because it will freeze up after about 2-3 matches!

Reactions: Ski and Split shot
Ramos vs Ayala would have been incredible.
That would be fun, though I’m not sure where Ayala is in his rehab. The matchup at 141 is what hs me scratching my head a little. 157 isn’t a bad match, but I would have thought Franek was invited.

And it’s on Flo… terrible. What a great event, which should be at the BJC and on ESPN for proper exposure of wrestling! PSU season ticket holders will be the only ones in attendance and only a fool subscribes to Flo broadcasts because it will freeze up after about 2-3 matches!
I think I’m in the minority but I love Flo. Being in Oregon I don’t get to see too many high level matches live so Flo has been great for me. I get to watch pretty much everything and I haven’t had streaming issues in awhile. I understand the hate but for me I get to watch way more wrestling than I ever have in my life which I absolutely love

I think I’m in the minority but I love Flo. Being in Oregon I don’t get to see too many high level matches live so Flo has been great for me. I get to watch pretty much everything and I haven’t had streaming issues in awhile. I understand the hate but for me I get to watch way more wrestling than I ever have in my life which I absolutely love
Definitely glad they exist vs the before times. But desperate for real competition in the market. Rokfin has seemed to be losing some steam of late.

It's an All Star classic
Frustrated World Cup GIF

The card contains zero intra-conference matchups. Looks like a deliberate strategy.
That did cross my mind (Evil Carl Strikes Again), but still doesn’t explain Woods’s absence.

Plus, if you look at the BTN schedule, the Iowa Glory Days Worship phenomenon is still alive and well. Not a single Hawkeye in the ASC says to me either someone is poking Iowa in the eye w/ a sly smile or Tom is being a petulant dink.

Beer on me if you guess correctly which one I think it is.

Reactions: danoftw
That did cross my mind (Evil Carl Strikes Again), but still doesn’t explain Woods’s absence.

Plus, if you look at the BTN schedule, the Iowa Glory Days Worship phenomenon is still alive and well. Not a single Hawkeye in the ASC says to me either someone is poking Iowa in the eye w/ a sly smile or Tom is being a petulant dink.

Beer on me if you guess correctly which one I think it is.
Maybe Woods declined?

Other than him, hard to say which Hawk should have gone given the obvious attempt to avoid B10-on-B10 crime. Franek is ranked below Levi who agreed to compete; and Caliendo is ranked below both Amine and Hamiti (with Hamiti going).

No other Hawks can get there without a ticket.

Full card: 🔥🔥🔥

125: #1 Matt Ramos, Purdue vs #2 Anthony Noto, Lock Haven

133: #4 Sam Latona, Virginia Tech vs #6 Connor McGonagle, Lehigh

141: #3 Lachlan McNeil, North Carolina vs #6 Clay Carlson, South Dakota State

149: #2 Shayne Van Ness, Penn State vs #3 Kyle Parco, Arizona State

157: #1 Levi Haines, Penn State vs #4 Jacori Teemer, Arizona State

165: #4 Dean Hamiti, Wisconsin vs #6 Izzak Olejnik, Oklahoma State

174: #1 Carter Starocci, Penn State vs #3 Mekhi Lewis, Virginia Tech

184: #1 Parker Keckeisen, Northern Iowa vs #2 Bernie Truax, Penn State

197: #1 Aaron Brooks, Penn State vs #2 Tanner Sloan, South Dakota State

285: #1 Greg Kerkvliet, Penn State vs #2 Wyatt Hendrickson, Air Force
My first thought when I saw our 6 was how much fun a full on Dapper Dan style PSU vs. the US would be. Pretty crazy to think we would be the favorite (assuming all 4 guys are healthy and they substituted for one of the two respective guys listed above).

Reactions: Ian
Maybe Woods declined?

Other than him, hard to say which Hawk should have gone given the obvious attempt to avoid B10-on-B10 crime. Franek is ranked below Levi who agreed to compete; and Caliendo is ranked below both Amine and Hamiti (with Hamiti going).

Woods indeed could have declined. But why?

By all indications, Tom is in desperation mode. The pressure to get Hawkeyes in the spotlight should be immense. Even if, say, Woods is injured and can’t go, desperation mode says you accept the invitation, get the program on the ticket, and cancel at some later date (which yields even more publicity).

Serving up absolutely nothing for this event is a bad look for Iowa, IMO, and comes at a time when bad looks for the program have gone parabolic. Unless some sort of snub or statement is being made, I just can’t see how Iowa doesn’t pull every possible lever to get some representation in this event. It would just seem really dumb not to. Intra-conference matchups be damned — they need some good publicity.

By all indications, Tom is in desperation mode. The pressure to get Hawkeyes in the spotlight should be immense. Even if, say, Woods is injured and can’t go, desperation mode says you accept the invitation, get the program on the ticket, and cancel at some later date (which yields even more publicity).

Serving up absolutely nothing for this event is a bad look for Iowa, IMO, and comes at a time when bad looks for the program have gone parabolic. Unless some sort of snub or statement is being made, I just can’t see how Iowa doesn’t pull every possible lever to get some representation in this event. It would just seem really dumb not to. Intra-conference matchups be damned — they need some good publicity.
Reaction if Woods accepted now, then pulled out later claiming injury:

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ski and Split shot
Sigh. I went to duals back then (plus Lorenzo & Fritz), but season tickets weren't a requirement then. I get a season ticket every year, but it's from a guy who doesn't do computers, which makes things like this tough.
I actually bought my season tickets back during the Fritz era. While they were indeed not required, I bought them just because they were soo cheap. As recently as 2005 my season tickets, including Iowa at Rec Hall on 2/4/05, were only $3 each.

Maybe Woods declined?

Well I heard they might have to go through Michigan for tickets.

Woods could have declined because the event is on Tuesday, Thanksgiving on Thursday and then there match with ISU on Sunday. Maybe he wanted go home for a day over the holidays and not travel as much? CStar said a few PSU guys decline as well, Bartlett and Nagao.

Reactions: hlstone and GantryZ
Reaction if Woods accepted now, then pulled out later claiming injury:

giphy.gif
Oh, for sure. But that is going to be the case every time any Hawkeye starter sits out a potentially competitive match. The duck calls are coming this season no matter what. Being 100% absent from an All Star event is not good. Not that I’m aggrieved by that. 🫢

Woods could have declined because the event is on Tuesday, Thanksgiving on Thursday and then there match with ISU on Sunday. Maybe he wanted go home for a day over the holidays and not travel as much? CStar said a few PSU guys decline as well, Bartlett and Nagao.
Such a pass could be true — and my point is that it would be lousy given the state of the program’s image. There is no comparison to be made with PSU here — the latter is on top, still rolling, and coming into the event after a stellar offseason . . . and already has six (6) — SIX!!!! — guys competing. If Iowa had invitations and turned them down, my point is that such a decision is a big 😳.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT