ADVERTISEMENT

All the haters were just waiting for this type of game…

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
This was never gonna be the year we competed for a championship. However, we had a nice start to the season and some of us fans got excited. It was an utterly dismal performance today. Without a doubt.

That said, I’d still rather be a fan who gets excited when his team has a good start to the season, than a negative, miserable, unhappy “fan” who just lives their life waiting for and expecting the other shoe to drop.

I really have pity for these so-called, “fans”, who, if PSU won every game by a score of 28-3, they’d bitch about PSU not being able to score 30 or shut out their opponents.

What a sad, pathetic existence.

WE ARE!!!

This was never gonna be the year we competed for a championship. However, we had a nice start to the season and some of us fans got excited. It was an utterly dismal performance today. Without a doubt.

That said, I’d still rather be a fan who gets excited when his team has a good start to the season, than a negative, miserable, unhappy “fan” who just lives their life waiting for and expecting the other shoe to drop.

I really have pity for these so-called, “fans”, who, if PSU won every game by a score of 28-3, they’d bitch about PSU not being able to score 30 or shut out their opponents.

WE ARE!!!
No matter what you say, no matter the spin, we are left asking:

Is James Franklin even an average football coach?

Not a recruiter, he clearly recruits.

Who is a worse coach than James Franklin?

WE ARE!!!
Why do you think people that accept that we aren't as good as Michigan or Ohio State are "negative, miserable, unhappy". I was hoping Franklin would have us prepared and it would be competitive today with hope we could pull off the upset but living in reality isn't a problem

And it's not about "bitching" because we won 28-3 or escaped Purdue 35-31. It's seeing the big picture and realizing those results likely mean you're not beating Michigan or Ohio State.

We still can go 10-2 finish in the top 15 and third in the Big Ten but we have a long way to go to get to where we need to be--you can see that right?

What's sad and pathetic is the fact that you can't take criticism that is justified by fans. I was being cautiously optimistic but what we saw today has been all to familiar under Franklin. Just think we still have to play the Pro team in our league. It's time to face facts...the new era if college FB has passed us by. We probably need to take the next exit and see if we can regroup.

Besides Dotson there has not been a good wr since Godwin. The linebackers are as bad as this team has ever had.

Reactions: GregInPitt

Not sure that's fair. It was one data point. We didn't measure up. Perhaps they were better prepared but likely it was just a bad match up. They play bully ball and we aren't there on the lines. I think we lack some toughness and are smallish on the dline. Our oline has not been our strength for years.

You are never as good as you think when you win or as bad as you think when you lose. I still expect a 9 or 10 win season, same as the start of the season.

The Franklin apologists are very quick to turn on their fellow fans I see. If anything is as predictable as Franklin not having his team prepared after a bye, its the jock sniffing brigade condemning fans after a wholly embarrassing performance.

Just one honest question, Chris. Harbaugh had horrible 2020 then produced CFP appearance in 2021 with same team. UM is now in drivers seat for another. They just showed us in embarrassing fashion, that we are far, far away from having lines to compete. So, why is CJF not able to compete year after year? Why is it always next year?

Not a hater but it is hard to see how Franklin digs us out of this. He cannot develop strong line play or even average line play and seemingly has no clue. Why would there be optimism for next season or the future in general? O$U and scUM are way ahead of us. An embarrassing performance.

Not sure that's fair. It was one data point. We didn't measure up. Perhaps they were better prepared but likely it was just a bad match up. They play bully ball and we aren't there on the lines. I think we lack some toughness and are smallish on the dline. Our oline has not been our strength for years.

You are never as good as you think when you win or as bad as you think when you lose. I still expect a 9 or 10 win season, same as the start of the season.
So, is a 9 win season impressive if your big win is Purdue or Maryland?
I mean, what is your goal?
Bad matchup or simply a better coached team that recruits better? One that we've seen the gap expand not close?

Reactions: psu00
We aren’t but we can be. Look at the Fox broadcast crew all picking a 3-4 pt game. This was a 56-0 beat down of MAC proportions. Krafty was watching. He ain’t putting up with this crap.

I know that our Oline will be horrible each game we play against OSU and Michigan.

It isn’t one data point.

Plus, I think Franklin is a bad coach.

Demeanor of an accountant, and not particularly smart.

The way I see it, you are crazy if you think this was a team that should have been ranked 10. We played nobody. Auburn stinks. We were embarrassed. They beat us up. Ohio State will beat us by 30. Michigan did whatever they wanted the entire game. I don't think this coaching staff has a clue. We are extremely outmatched against every team that has a pulse. Fortunately, the rest of our schedule is a joke. Outside of Ohio State, we should win them all. We are a mid level football team. It is what it is. I'm not surprised by the outcome today. It's exactly what I thought would happen. Overrated. But there will be morons that think we are close because we will have 9 wins. We are not good. Not even close

Reactions: PSUEngineer89
I'm a huge PSU fan.

I just think Franklin is a used car salesman and a bad coach.

I guess you think Franklin is a good coach.

Well, he is not at the PJ Fleck level of used car salesman.

He is a great recruiter. He just needs to recruit better coordinators.

WE ARE!!!
Sure - it’s the alums (and I am one - graduated PSU in 1985 after spending 4 years at uUniversity Park) and fans fault that Franklin and staff had 2 weeks to prepare and PSU got thoroughly out played and out coached. It’s our fault that we were completely dominated on both lines of scrimmage, that their freshman QB outplayed our 6th year senior QB, that they ran for 400 yards. yup, it’s not Franklin’s fault - he who is now 2-14 vs ranked teams on the road; he who is 4-13 vs UM and OSU, he who stands there as we get trucked in front of the entire nation. I apologize for assuming our $8M head coach can prepare a team in 2 weeks to not get embarrassed and destroyed. Mea Culpa. What an amazingly stupid position the originator of this thread has.

The way I see it, you are crazy if you think this was a team that should have been ranked 10. We played nobody. Auburn stinks. We were embarrassed. They beat us up. Ohio State will beat us by 30. Michigan did whatever they wanted the entire game. I don't think this coaching staff has a clue. We are extremely outmatched against every team that has a pulse. Fortunately, the rest of our schedule is a joke. Outside of Ohio State, we should win them all. We are a mid level football team. It is what it is. I'm not surprised by the outcome today. It's exactly what I thought would happen. Overrated. But there will be morons that think we are close because we will have 9 wins. We are not good. Not even close
Before the start of the season most fans were predicting 9-3 or worse.
I agree they are not a top ten team, but PSU doesn’t rank themselves.

Before the start of the season most fans were predicting 9-3 or worse.
I agree they are not a top ten team, but PSU doesn’t rank themselves.
What are the 3 teams on this schedule that have more talent than us?
Michigan, Ohio State and who ????
Why was anyone saying less than 10-2?

Sure - it’s the alums (and I am one - graduated PSU in 1985 after spending 4 years at uUniversity Park) and fans fault that Franklin and staff had 2 weeks to prepare and PSU got thoroughly out played and out coached. It’s our fault that we were completely dominated on both lines of scrimmage, that their freshman QB outplayed our 6th year senior QB, that they ran for 400 yards. yup, it’s not Franklin’s fault - he who is now 2-14 vs ranked teams on the road; he who is 4-13 vs UM and OSU, he who stands there as we get trucked in front of the entire nation. I apologize for assuming our $8M head coach can prepare a team in 2 weeks to not get embarrassed and destroyed. Mea Culpa. What an amazingly stupid position the originator of this thread has.
You’re exactly who I was talking about. I really am sorry for you. Sincerely.

WE ARE!!!

You aren't really a fan, you're a cheerleader. In our division alone, Michigan and Ohio State would never rationalize a beat down like we took today.

Reactions: pittpsu
We’ve got a lot of talent on the field. Hats off to Franklin for that. However, he has to deliver with it at some point. Even with the elimination of divisions…he will need to be able to beat the top teams. It’s time to say goodbye and bring Rhule home.

Since 2020, Penn State has a 10-11 conference record. For the top 20 recruiting classes Franklin is able to pull in, he is only capable of getting mediocre results. I think his best coaching days at PSU are in the past. His teams consistently struggle the week following a loss and the week following a bye. Next week should be interesting. He is definitely overpaid for his results.

Well for one some thought because of Purdue’s qb passing all over us.
Two nobody knew how bad Auburn was going to suck before the season started.
We should have. Harsin is an awful coach--just awful
But, okay, so let's pretend some people wanted to pretend Purdue and Auburn were better than they are. As of today shouldn't we all agree less than 10-2 isn't tolerable given the schedule?

We should have. Harsin is an awful coach--just awful
But, okay, so let's pretend some people wanted to pretend Purdue and Auburn were better than they are. As of today shouldn't we all agree less than 10-2 isn't tolerable given the schedule?
There are more losses on this years schedule than just O$U

He's a used car salesman, a word salad king, and a terrible coach.

Don't forget he upspeaks

Upspeak is a high rise in intonation at the end of a sentence that makes it end up sounding like a question. Upspeak perhaps reached its height in the “Valley girl” talk of the 1980s, partly due to Frank Zappa’s hit song, “Valley Girl.”

You’re exactly who I was talking about. I really am sorry for you. Sincerely.
Yes, I’m the problem. What an idiotic viewpoint you have. You’re sorry for me? I can see reality. I understand what PSU football is supposed to be. You are in some absurd Gen-Z fantasy land of participation trophies. Your position is both counter-productive and ridiculous. I’m not going to waste any emotional capital on you or your ilk. Suffice to say PSU football is a shadow of what it should be, and anyone ok with that is a fool - just like our head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT