WR: Needed 1 and got Darien to flip from Temple. D
TE: Needed 2 and got Dalton. C-
OL: Needed 4 and got Fries, Gellerstedt, McGovern, & Menet. A-
DT: Needed 3 and got Chavis, Jordan, & Shelton. D
DE: Needed 3 and got Simmons, Joseph, & Thrift. B-
LB: Needed 3 and got Brown & Toney. D
DB: Needed 3 and got Johnson & McPherson D
K: Needed 2 and got Gillikin & Barbir. A-

Dominate the state: Got 3 of the top 15 ranked players in PA including #1 & #2. Hamlin, Upshir, Dioubate, Angeline, Pryts, & Hudson were all big losses. C

Do well in surrounding regions (NJ, MD, OH): We didn't get any of the top 10 players in NJ (Did get #11 Fries). UM dominated NJ. MSU & OSU also did better than PSU in NJ which is not good. We got 3 of the top 10 from MD (including #1 Simmons) which is very good. We finally broke through in Ohio but the highest rated prospect was #28 Gellerstedt. Johnson & Shelton didn't make the Ohio top 50. Ferns was a huge loss, especially after missing out on Hudson & Hansford. C- (only because of MD)

Stars: PSU got 6 four star prospects. OSU got 15, UM got 14, MSU got 11. Pitt got 5. D

Overall: C+

Things looked promising for a while but losing Colon, Dioubate, Dwumfour, Hill, Pryts, Nordin, & Matthews hurt. That's a lot of kids to lose. Failing to close on players like Nixon, Hudson, Ferns, Hamlin, and Fuller made matters worse. PSU scrambled to take a few plan B kids and wound up with a decent class. 4th in the B1G isn't great but it isn't horrible either. Unfortunately we finished 4th in our division. It's going to take some work to get back into contention for a B1G title.

Last edited:
QB: Needed 1 and got Zembiec. B+
RB: Needed 1 and got Sanders. A+
DE: Needed 3 and got Simmons, Joseph, & Thrift. C-
DB: Needed 3 and got Johnson & McPherson

Dominate the state: Got 3 of the top 15 ranked players in PA including #1 & #2. Hamlin, Upshir, Dioubate, Angeline, Pryts, & Hudson were all big losses. C

Do well in surrounding regions (NJ, MD, OH): We didn't get any of the top 10 players in NJ (Did get #11 Fries). UM dominated NJ. MSU & OSU also did better than PSU in NJ which is not good. We got 3 of the top 10 from MD (including #1 Simmons) which is very good. We finally broke through in Ohio but the highest rated prospect was #28 Gellerstedt. Johnson & Shelton didn't make the Ohio top 50. Ferns was a huge loss, especially after missing out on Hudson & Hansford. C- (only because of MD)

Stars: PSU got 6 four star prospects. OSU got 15, UM got 14, MSU got 11. Pitt got 5. D

Things looked promising for a while but losing Colon, Dioubate, Dwumfour, Hill, Pryts, Nordin, & Matthews hurt. That's a lot of kids to lose. Failing to close on players like Nixon, Hudson, Ferns, Hamlin, and Fuller made matters worse. PSU scrambled to take a few plan B kids and wound up with a decent class. 4th in the B1G isn't great but it isn't horrible either. Unfortunately we finished 4th in our division. It's going to take some work to get back into contention for a B1G title.
Be ready to change that WR grade. Also, I think you are vastly underrating Simmons and Joseph. Joseph may see the field this fall often. The only word that comes to mind watching his tape is violent.

I honestly am very skeptical of the kids that committed in the last week. Nobody knows but it looks like panic in regards to filling in a class. These kids could be great, or they could be simply awful. But regardless of all of that, the staff did not get the kids they wanted, and that's a big tell.

I was very positive on CJF when he was hired. I had a lot of excuses for him when I saw how crappy our o-line was. But toward the middle of last year, it was mind boggling that almost nothing was done to manage around the o-line and kid were STILL confused on their assignments. Offense was in total disarray. Then, we suddenly fire the OC, the DC leaves shortly after committing to stay (nobody knows the story on that one except that the DC is a serial liar). Then, we lose a lot of committed kids and don't land ANY of the 50/50 kids.

Lots of question marks for next year. is the DC any good as DC? Is our OC any good? who plays the most important position at QB? is the offensive line any better than last year? What warm bodies can we line up at DT and LB? Can we stop the run against anyone with a pulse?
These are not trivial questions.

Staff needs a good year next year or we are in trouble. While the recruiting class is acceptable, for a PSU team, things are not trending well.

Reactions: gjbankos

Wow! Tough grader! I would def not call this class a C plus.

Reactions: DB2592
QB: Needed 1 and got Zembiec. B+ (A)

RB: Needed 1 and got Sanders. A+ (Agree)

(TBD - if we get Snelson I say A. As it stands I like this kid better than the kid that flipped and since we only need 1 I would say B)

(If you are judging this by only getting 1 and needing 2 I agree; However, I believe Dalton is a very good get for TE)

(I can't see how this can be scored any lower than an "A" - Menet alone is top notch and won't take long to crack the starting lineup; McGovern is top C in country)

(Needed three and got three - sure not the original three we thought but I think much better than a D - I would score it as a B-)

(Simmons and Joseph are studs - don't know much about Thrift - I would score it a B+)

LB: Needed 3 and got Brown & Toney. D (Can probably agree in that we definitely needed more and Toney may need to fill out into a position)

(You didn't score this one - I'm okay with only 2 based on our current depth and really, really like both of these guys - I would say B only because we didn't get 3)

(I would say A+++)

That's a little rough scoring don't you think

My Opinions that differ and a few comments....

TE: Needed 2 and got Dalton. C- I dont' believe CJF wanted 2 TE's as he had Dalton early and never offered other uncommitted TE's afterwards. B
OL: Needed 4 and got Fries, Gellerstedt, McGovern, & Met. A-
DT: Needed 3 and got Chavis, Jordan, & Shelton. D Chavis was a sought after DT out of H.S. and Jordan is 4 star DT. With the 2nd JC (Thrift) CJF did about the best he could after losing Dioubate and the others due to various circumstances. Tough to reel in 4 star DT's during damage control, B-
DE: Needed 3 and got Simmons, Joseph, & Thrift. C- I don't believe we needed 3, and CJF got 2 extremely good ones. Thrift was recruited to play DT at 270+ lbs and reportedly shooting for reporting to PSU at 280+. A-
LB: Needed 3 and got Brown & Toney. D I agree, and I am most dissappointed about CJF not having plan B kids after losing Hansford and being a toss up with Ferns (toss up is kind when you don't get the kid on campus....)
DB: Needed 3 and got Johnson & McPherson No rating from you but I'd put this at a C- as we are loaded at DB and McPherson showed 4 star ability at his all star game. Would have been a B+ with either Hill or Hamlin.
K: Needed 2 and got Gillikin & Barbir. A- Great job which will improve field position. Punter was most important. Solid A

Dominate the state: Got 3 of the top 15 ranked players in PA including #1 & #2. Hamlin, Upshir, Dioubate, Angeline, Pryts, & Hudson were all big losses. C Agree, I'm most dissappointed in losing Hudson and Dioubate. Others were pretty much out of CJF's control, as was Dioubate.

Do well in surrounding regions (NJ, MD, OH): We didn't get any of the top 10 players in NJ (Did get #11 Fries). UM dominated NJ. MSU & OSU also did better than PSU in NJ which is not good. We got 3 of the top 10 from MD (including #1 Simmons) which is very good. We finally broke through in Ohio but the highest rated prospect was #28 Gellerstedt. Johnson & Shelton didn't make the Ohio top 50. Ferns was a huge loss, especially after missing out on Hudson & Hansford. C- (only because of MD) Agree. Got to do better in NJ going forward.

Overall: C+ I'm going for a B-, due to the great nucleus of high end players. And the fact that CJF ended up with significantly more openings than maybe even he thought, and then had trouble filling out the class with the quality he began with.... I hope he recruits to get 25+ each year from now on. i.e. more involvement with a few more kids so that he can fill the class with more plan A kids.

It will take a few years of maturation and continued recruitment of classes with 10-12 4 star kids to challenge for the title, and I believe CJF is up to the task.

Last edited:

Oline is A+, and dline is B+, LB is B, TE is B, kicking is A+. Rivals is horrible to PSU players. At least three dropped because of camp inactivity (probably), and Menet, Simmons and Sanders are pretty much consensus 5 stars- they are probably the best in the country at their position. Doubtful that anyone anywhere had a kicking, rb, or Oline class as good as PSU's. Overall you are greatly undervaluing these recruits. Check other sites.

This is the telling story. Yes, we signed some talented players, just not enough. When compared to our competition, we failed miserably. As I have indicated previously, 2017 is heading towards a major disappointment.

Obli, you need a cup of coffee. Most of the time you are spot on but not this time. This is a good class. Franklin did well for OL, DL, and kicking to meet the needs. After you look into it, you will like the late additions.

Oline is A+, and dline is B+, LB is B, TE is B, kicking is A+. Rivals is horrible to PSU players. At least three dropped because of camp inactivity (probably), and Menet, Simmons and Sanders are pretty much consensus 5 stars- they are probably the best in the country at their position. Doubtful that anyone anywhere had a kicking, rb, or Oline class as good as PSU's. Overall you are greatly undervaluing these recruits. Check other sites.
No way is LB a B. Brown may grow out of LB and Toney is listed at 190 LBs and is a string bean. We did not land any true LBs.

This is the telling story. Yes, we signed some talented players, just not enough. When compared to our competition, we failed miserably. As I have indicated previously, 2017 is heading towards a major disappointment.
Whose BS rankings are those.... I already know the answer. Across all the different services we have 11. Or 8 and 3 5*s.

No way is LB a B. Brown may grow out of LB and Toney is listed at 190 LBs and is a string bean. We did not land any true LBs.

I think this staff has a much different definition of 'true LB' than many on this board

Go by the 247 composite ratings, not Rivals.

Go by the 247 composite ratings, not Rivals.

Personally, I go by "did the staff get who they wanted?" I don't have a lot of faith in the bought and sold press. Regardless, PSU was really, really scrambling in the last couple of months. In that, we got kids to flip from Temple and a handful of JUCO's. Lets see what happens with the kid with Minny. But clearly the trending was really bad (while the first 12 months were great).

Faulty analysis on so many fronts it's not even funny. For example, your claim that PSU needed 3 DBs is off base given the present state of the roster and for some reason you don't provide a grade for that category. Your claim that PSU got 5 four star prospects sort of depends upon what so called expert service you are relying upon.

Your WR grade will go up. TE and DT grades are a bit low, but this poster is a whiner so it's predictable.

Reactions: BBrown and bmw199
Be ready to change that WR grade. Also, I think you are vastly underrating Simmons and Joseph. Joseph may see the field this fall often. The only word that comes to mind watching his tape is violent.

Darien's other offers were from Temple, Monmouth, Mass, Temple, etc. Maybe he's a sleeper.
My mistake on DE. I changed the grade to B-.

Darien's other offers were from Temple, Monmouth, Mass, Temple, etc. Maybe he's a sleeper.
My mistake on DE. I changed the grade to B-.
No, I'm talking about an announcement in 3 minutes

Personally, I go by "did the staff get who they wanted?" I don't have a lot of faith in the bought and sold press. Regardless, PSU was really, really scrambling in the last couple of months. In that, we got kids to flip from Temple and a handful of JUCO's. Lets see what happens with the kid with Minny. But clearly the trending was really bad (while the first 12 months were great).

We've been over these things a million times so I don't want to belabor the point. But there was the perfect storm at the end of this year....back to back 7-6 seasons, 4 straight losses including a blow out to MSU, loss of the DC, some player transfers....with the negative recruiting and more willingness across all teams to have players decommitt....definitely did not end recruiting on a high note. But someone else had a good analogy....if you end up with a 74 after shooting 3 bogeys on the last three holes or 3 birdies....you still end up with a 74.

There definitely is perception that comes into play into all this....but the bottom line is that the players we landed have to be able to play. You can point to the highly ranked kids, the 5 stars, and feel good....or you can go the other way and look at the walk ons or 2 star guys that went on to NFL careers from PSU (Jordan Hill, John Urschel, Deon Butler, etc).

If Franklin continues recruiting the way he has, including this class, and Moorhead brings a more dynamic offense, we will be able to compete for Big Ten championships in 2 years when Franklin's guys become upperclassmen. Period.

We're ahead of MSU on the 247 composite

This is great class. All needs are met. OL, DL, and kickers.

It's one thing filling needs with star rated kids and another filling them with bodies. This is a very average class at best. We did a poor job in our home state[ dominate the state] and ourpoorest showing in N.J. in years.

Faulty analysis on so many fronts it's not even funny. For example, your claim that PSU needed 3 DBs is off base given the present state of the roster and for some reason you don't provide a grade for that category. Your claim that PSU got 5 four star prospects sort of depends upon what so called expert service you are relying upon.

Depends on your expectations. This is a Rivals site so I used their rankings. Another sites rankings might be better but not materially.

Four star recruits:
OSU 15
Mich 14
MSU 11
PSU 6

Those 3 teams ahead of us are all in our division and I think we have to recruit even with them if we hope to beat them on the field. Perhaps 1 or 2 of our 38 kids is underrated but I think it's still fair to say that we've got some catch up to do.

I agree that losing the ones you mentioned was disappointing, but it's hard to agree with your overall assessment of a C+. It's a top 20-25 class. There have been many conference championships and even national championships won with less. This is where coaching comes in, and we'll see whether the addition of Moorhead and Limegrover can jump-start the offense and whether we can keep our stout defense with the loss of Shoop.

It's one thing filling needs with star rated kids and another filling them with bodies. This is a very average class at best. We did a poor job in our home state[ dominate the state] and ourpoorest showing in N.J. in years.

I'd take the Juco DT we got over just about any star high school kid. He's an immediate fill to a big need. Plus, he's a 21 year old man. Other than a super high 4 star/5 star kid, I'd take him over anyone, given our current situation at DT. We need people who can play and contribute immediately. That's just one example of how you can't just look at stars to evaluate this class.

where are you getting your "*" rankings? Because they don't seem to jive with the sites I've seen.

DE: Needed 3 and got Simmons, Joseph, & Thrift. B-
DB: Needed 3 and got Johnson & McPherson D

smh, but then again, free board analysis (nowhere near the truth)

It's one thing filling needs with star rated kids and another filling them with bodies. This is a very average class at best.

"Average" is a very non-specific term. This is a very good, but certainly not elite class. I would agree that we failed to address some positions of need (esp LB) and did not get as highly regarded recruits elsewhere as it seemed we might (namely secondary). But we got a significant number of top recruits.

I actually am pleased with how the DL ended up. Not perfect, but far better than how it looked about a week ago when it was headed to be a trainwreck.

Depends on your expectations. This is a Rivals site so I used their rankings. Another sites rankings might be better but not materially.

Four star recruits:
OSU 15
Mich 14
MSU 11
PSU 6

Those 3 teams ahead of us are all in our division and I think we have to recruit even with them if we hope to beat them on the field. Perhaps 1 or 2 of our 38 kids is underrated but I think it's still fair to say that we've got some catch up to do.

That number is only accurate if you only use one site. Pity party is over.

Reactions: Judge Smails
JoeP, I like Chavis and Barbir, two late additions. I like the potential for the kid who flipped from Temple, he has tremendous upside on D or O, more on D. Late addition, Johnson has outstanding potential to grow into an LB. Chavis has two years eligibility that will help our young guys to mature. Other def. lineman has three year eligibility. Penn State needs strong bodies to stop the run.

Frankly, late additions are better than some of the decommits.

"Average" is a very non-specific term. This is a very good, but certainly not elite class. I would agree that we failed to address some positions of need (esp LB) and did not get as highly regarded recruits elsewhere as it seemed we might (namely secondary). But we got a significant number of top recruits.

I actually am pleased with how the DL ended up. Not perfect, but far better than how it looked about a week ago when it was headed to be a trainwreck.

With Simmons, Joseph, and Jordan, it was never a train wreck. But the 2 JC DT's that should be ready to contribute earlier than H.S. recruits and the flip of the other 3 starDT prospect have made the DL recruiting align with our needs

DT was more pressing than DE (agree than Simmons was a top recruit at DE). DT fell apart miserably with 3 decommits. Chavis is a good stop gap measure while other kids grow. Probably another Paris Palmer level kid. Jordan might be OK. He had an offer from MSU and several lower level P% schools. Shelton's only other P5 offer was Illinois. I'm not sure how you can give DL a B+.

PSU probably needed 3 LBs and they whiffed on their top 3 prospects. Brown & Toney were mid level recruits. B is generous.

We're close to agreement in other areas but not DT & LB.

My analysis.

QB. JZ was an elite 11 QB. A-
RB. #1 in the nation A++
OL A-, but this grad transfer from RI is picking up really good offers. Would be nice.
TE. B was plenty. AA game invite, Bama offer, #1 in his state.
WR C- late smoke with Snelson fell through. BOOO! Big kid we landed, but will he stay a WR?
DE A top 5 DE in Simmons. Joseph was 4 stars elsewhere and Harbaugh was on him up until last week.
DT. B. Chavis can come in and play immediately and is a big boy. Ellison was a top 100 kid who was another 4 star DT. The other two have time to develop. Needed at least 3.
CB. B- ZMac is 4 stars elsewhere and is a good CB. Johnson is interesting as he moves ok for his height. Could end up at safety.
Safety F or INC
LB C-, 2 bodies. Brown a 4 star on multiple sites. Toney isn't a pure LB either. Both seem to make plays. 2017 position of need.
K B, solid kicker
P. A, top 5 punter

Overall the class combines with last years will allow PSU to compete at a higher level sooner rather than later.

That number is only accurate if you only use one site. Pity party is over.

Fair enough. Scout is a little more favorable to PSU. Here are their 4* & 5* totals:
OSU 19
Mich 14
MSU 12
PSU 8

No pity party and no sky is falling. This is a good class, but no way is it at the level of the teams we have to beat.

where are you getting your "*" rankings? Because they don't seem to jive with the sites I've seen.
Rivals, but I also posted the Scout numbers for 4* & 5* recruits (OSU 19, Mich 14, MSU 12, PSU 8)

I honestly am very skeptical of the kids that committed in the last week. Nobody knows but it looks like panic in regards to filling in a class. These kids could be great, or they could be simply awful. But regardless of all of that, the staff did not get the kids they wanted, and that's a big tell.

I was very positive on CJF when he was hired. I had a lot of excuses for him when I saw how crappy our o-line was. But toward the middle of last year, it was mind boggling that almost nothing was done to manage around the o-line and kid were STILL confused on their assignments. Offense was in total disarray. Then, we suddenly fire the OC, the DC leaves shortly after committing to stay (nobody knows the story on that one except that the DC is a serial liar). Then, we lose a lot of committed kids and don't land ANY of the 50/50 kids.

Lots of question marks for next year. is the DC any good as DC? Is our OC any good? who plays the most important position at QB? is the offensive line any better than last year? What warm bodies can we line up at DT and LB? Can we stop the run against anyone with a pulse?
These are not trivial questions.

Staff needs a good year next year or we are in trouble. While the recruiting class is acceptable, for a PSU team, things are not trending well.

Exactly, only reason this class is decent is because of early kids who committed. Its like if signing day was March 3 we would have nobody of relevance left. Class seems very rich on top and very poor on bottom.

I find it unacceptable personally. I love PSU with a passion and want to see them competing for CHAMPIONSHIPS, not settling for recruits of the ilk we were offering back in the sanction days. Those kids wont ever play and will transfer.

If we were getting some recruits last minute who were flipping to us (no i dont count the one's who flipped to us, they came from horrible offers relatively speaking) here today from bigger schools and not losing so many kids who decommitted its one thing, class is pretty good. But with the way it went down, not getting any to choose us today of Ferns, Hill, Dioubate, Snelson, and Hamlin Monday is sad.

Franklin's biggest asset is recruiting and if next years class resembles how this one finished PSU football is in serious trouble until Matt Ruhle gets here.

Spin it how you want, top 20 etc, you are probably being a homer more so than positive. I am concerned how this ended and I find it unacceptable. Its like we are a second rate program.

Fair enough. Scout is a little more favorable to PSU. Here are their 4* & 5* totals:
OSU 19
Mich 14
MSU 12
PSU 8

No pity party and no sky is falling. This is a good class, but no way is it at the level of the teams we have to beat.

Did you really expect a top 5 class year 2 after the sanctions? I think next year they recruit at least 2-3 over the number they anticipate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT