ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone ever cruise on MSC Lines?

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
I am looking at a cruise in South America this winter. Buenos Aires, Uruguay and Sao Paolo. They just started in the west a few years ago but are pretty popular in Europe and Asia.

I am not going to be much help because it was my one and only cruise. But I went on a MSC Caribbean cruise in 2017. Passengers were mostly European. Food was good. Entertainment was meh.

Reactions: Obliviax
My wife and I went out of NY to the Bahamas. The ship was fine, the beds were hard/uncomfortable, food was fair to good. The New York crowd was challenging. It depends where you leave from to see who gets on board. Just across the river/bay in Bayonne NJ, the crowd is much more pleasant.

We probably won’t go on another MSc cruise especially out of NYC.

I am looking at a cruise in South America this winter. Buenos Aires, Uruguay and Sao Paolo. They just started in the west a few years ago but are pretty popular in Europe and Asia.
I haven't been on MSC but my guess is it depends on what you're looking for. Some appeal to young people or have better entertainment. Others cater to older people and focus on food and destinations.

We like Oceania/Regent. No midnight buffets but more high end restaurants.

Thank you @Wandering Spectator @paddoce and @NICNEM_PSU80 .

I hate cruises. My first one was out of NY to the Bahamas on a now defunct boutique line. the morning of the cruise, just before we boarded, the crew was told the line had been acquired and that they were all being laid off. Service was not so hot. we also hit a storm and had to deal with 30 foot swales. Even long time cruisers were getting seas sick. the next cruse was a disney cruise from the cape in FL to bermuda. Disney was touting a new non-chemical pool to help save the environment. I noted a ton of todlers in the water and the water was yellow-green. by the time we got back, over 200 people got sick including me. So my expectations are not high. I suspect the kids were peeing in the water and the new system didn't work causing people to get sick.

On food, it is never great when you have to prepare food for over 3,000 people. IMHO at least. Trying to escape the mess, we booked what they call the Yacht Club. There are 70 forward suites that have an exclusive elevator, deck, pool, and restaurant. Breakfast and lunch are buffet but diner is to your order. Plus, you get preferred access for embarkation and shore excursions. On entertainment, I'll be in bed but the 3D games look fun. (F1 race car for example). There will be a "white party" and a silent disco that I'll look into but won't linger long.

regardless, I did see that many of the reviews are rough. I think a lot depends on the ship and the cruise location. The crews turn over a lot so issues with a specific person are event to event. For me, I just want to be left alone, have a sunny deck, decent food, not have to wait in lines, and enjoy the views. For the most part, to spend the time with my wife and daughter.

Been on 5 cruises with Princess. Food was always great and varied. Everything was great including the service. One of the cruises was to Hawaii with no problems. one tip is to book a room low and in the center of the ship for a smoother ride.

Just did a European cruise with the family over the summer on Royal Carribean - left from Barcelona and ended in Rome. They try to push you to pay for the orivate rstaurants but we all found the main dining was very good every night and for breakfast as well - no need to spend more. Buffet was ok as well with mnay choices - can get cronded though. Overal not a bad experiance for the first time on a cruise and best way to see a lot of Europe in 8 days. Roem was hot as hell but we knew that going in.

We’ve done about a dozen cruises over the years - with and without the kids. Now, I’m tired of the crowds.

I haven’t experienced the private “cruise within a cruise” like the Yacht Club or Haven on NCL, but I did find that booking the upcharged restaurants was definitely worth it. Instead of eating in the main dining rooms like you’re at a wedding, the restaurants had a more traditional feel and better food IMHO.

My personal favorite thing to do was just sit on the balcony with a bottle of wine and watch the waves pass and the sun sink.

Enjoy!

Been on Carnival, Celebrity, Royal Caribbian, Princess, and Viking. Best overall was Celebrity (inside passage). Viking staff was top notch.

Never having been on anything else to compare it to, its tough to give an honest evaluation. Left in January from Miami to Nassau on the MSC Davina. The food was a tossup, when you ate at the dining rooms with a waiter the food was really delicious, and filling. You could order specialty steaks or seafood with no added costs. Unless you wanted premium food. The buffets were overcrowded and bland in taste. We stayed on lower decks and even with rough seas we didn't get much seasickness. Everyone else who we went with us said the other cruiselines had better amenities and food.. Most of the staff was friendly and knowledgeable, especially the ones in charge of taking care or your rooms. (to earn tips)The kitchen staff wasn't as friendly nor hospital. They seemed and acted like they just wanted their shift to be over. Hope you have a better experience.

Never having been on anything else to compare it to, its tough to give an honest evaluation. Left in January from Miami to Nassau on the MSC Davina. The food was a tossup, when you ate at the dining rooms with a waiter the food was really delicious, and filling. You could order specialty steaks or seafood with no added costs. Unless you wanted premium food. The buffets were overcrowded and bland in taste. We stayed on lower decks and even with rough seas we didn't get much seasickness. Everyone else who we went with us said the other cruiselines had better amenities and food.. Most of the staff was friendly and knowledgeable, especially the ones in charge of taking care or your rooms. (to earn tips)The kitchen staff wasn't as friendly nor hospital. They seemed and acted like they just wanted their shift to be over. Hope you have a better experience.
thank you. that is pretty consistent with what I am hearing. I am not a fan of the buffet food anyway as there is no way to get the food good en masse. That is one reason why we booked the Yacht Club. Regardless, as @Wandering Spectator said above, I am hopeful that I can grab a chair, something to drink, and watch the waves go by. I'd like three good square meals and the front of the line when boarding or disembarking. (is that barking and disembarking? I am still working of fore and aft, port and starboard). We are on the port side with the starboard side being booked up. I am assuming one wants to be starboard if they have a choice.

Been on 5 cruises with Princess. Food was always great and varied. Everything was great including the service. One of the cruises was to Hawaii with no problems. one tip is to book a room low and in the center of the ship for a smoother ride.

A guy I work with just got back from a 3 week Alaskan cruise on Princess. He said it was awesome, but everyone got COVID including he and his wife. Everywhere they docked, the local pharmacies were sold out of OTC drugs. At one stop, they didn't have enough transportation to haul sick people to the hospital. He noted that 90% of the guests were retired.

I'm not up for that.

Yeah,.after you posted that, I remember some of the guest got the Covid but we didnt, got a nasty stomach bug. Hope you avoid the crowds and enjoy.!!!

Yeah,.after you posted that, I remember some of the guest got the Covid but we didnt, got a nasty stomach bug. Hope you avoid the crowds and enjoy.!!!
as I posted, about 200 came down sick on my four day cruise on Disney to the Bahamas. My wife thought it was because I ate snails on our first dinner but I doubt 200 ate snails. Regardless, I'll be much more careful with what I eat and how I interact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT