ADVERTISEMENT

Are Christian Hackenberg’s throwing mechanics fixed?

Fixing his throwing motion is great. Not sure how much that will help his vision or aboility to sense pressure.
Good luck to him.
The kid's got the physical gifts. Always has. It's been how he uses them, what he learns and how he grows. The good news for him is he's still got the gifts, he's young enough to learn and could grow and use them in a career that's not yet over.

A slow and inaccurate release is a killer in the NFL--for guys who were more successful in college. Tebow was an excellent example. But there are loads. And CH's measurables truly are excellent.

I agree throwing motion wasn't his only problem. But an immobile pocket passer with improvable throwing motion, sub-par supporting talent, a change of systems/coaches and a porous OL... bad recipe. He was frustrated and his confidence was shot--and star ego and expectations only made matters worse.

Deck is stacked against him at this point. If he's able to hit the re-set button and he's hungry and humble, it'll be exciting to see what he can accomplish. I'd love to see the success story.

The thing about him being immobile is that he can move but he just does do it much or maybe he doesn't have a feel for when he should move. His NFL Combine 40 was 4.78. That's not great but is pretty good for a QB. (I looked up Tom Brady's and it was 5.24 and that was when he was 22 or so.)

I agree with the Pennlive article. It is the first time I have heard Hackenberg not sound completely guarded and stiff. It was quite refreshing. And I enjoyed the video where he was proud of what they accomplished at Penn State.

Reactions: NedFromYork
The kid's got the physical gifts. Always has. It's been how he uses them, what he learns and how he grows. The good news for him is he's still got the gifts, he's young enough to learn and could grow and use them in a career that's not yet over.

A slow and inaccurate release is a killer in the NFL--for guys who were more successful in college. Tebow was an excellent example. But there are loads. And CH's measurables truly are excellent.

I agree throwing motion wasn't his only problem. But an immobile pocket passer with improvable throwing motion, sub-par supporting talent, a change of systems/coaches and a porous OL... bad recipe. He was frustrated and his confidence was shot--and star ego and expectations only made matters worse.

Deck is stacked against him at this point. If he's able to hit the re-set button and he's hungry and humble, it'll be exciting to see what he can accomplish. I'd love to see the success story.

The kid does not have have some of the physical gifts. He’s got a great arm. He does not move well in the pocket, he does not scramble, he does not see the field well. Those are physical gifts as well as things that he could improve upon. Again, I hope he does fix those issues.

Reactions: 91Joe95
He also said this week in an interview, that a bad throw or two would really get in his head and mess things up for the rest of the game. Felt "all eyes were on him" after bad plays and he did not deal well with the pressure. Playing in the NY market did not help. Wish the best for him, but his issues are more than a flaw in his motion. He admitted as much this week.
He never actually “played” in that NY market

No way to spin CH's journey. He has improved his accuracy or he has not. He's got what cannot be taught: size, arm, health. How he can throw a 30 yard deep route but miss a guy five yards from him has always been a mystery. Again, his OC was fired and the offense made a tectonic shift.

It is interesting: you've got Trace with zero physicality to take to the NFL but accurate and his intangibles are off the charts good. Then you've got CH who has all of the physicality but can't hit the ocean from the boat in terms of accuracy. Which has the better shot at being an NFL QB?

There are few less-cringeworthy terms than “physicality” ... it should be purged from the sports-lexicon.... you used it twice... as such, may you now get a urinary tract infection

There are few less-cringeworthy terms than “physicality” ... it should be purged from the sports-lexicon.... you used it twice... as such, may you now get a urinary tract infection
giphy.gif

Not suggesting it will play out the same way, but didn't Cameron Wake's experience immediately after PSU lack much in terms of accolades or accomplishments only to develop in the CFL and return to be quite successful in the NFL? Some people are late bloomers and everyone's journey is different. I hope Christian is successful, seemed like a class act and has his head on straight.

Always thought Hack played stiff, like he was thinking about his mechanics and thinking about making the right read but he was never reactionary. In practice you can think about all those things and work on them but when its a game, you just have to trust yourself and play. His best games appeared like he was just letting it loose. Hope he finds success in Memphis. I'll be watching and rooting for him. Has he been named as the starting qb?

Always thought Hack played stiff, like he was thinking about his mechanics and thinking about making the right read but he was never reactionary. In practice you can think about all those things and work on them but when its a game, you just have to trust yourself and play. His best games appeared like he was just letting it loose. Hope he finds success in Memphis. I'll be watching and rooting for him. Has he been named as the starting qb?
---
Good point, in sports if you are thinking about what you are doing, you are doing it too slow.

Not suggesting it will play out the same way, but didn't Cameron Wake's experience immediately after PSU lack much in terms of accolades or accomplishments only to develop in the CFL and return to be quite successful in the NFL? Some people are late bloomers and everyone's journey is different. I hope Christian is successful, seemed like a class act and has his head on straight.

Wake had the serious knee injury in college that took him a while to fully recover from. Also, he transitioned from a stand up outside linebacker to an edge rusher, and they had much different responsibilities.

I don't think Wake really knew how good he was until he got to the CFL. He always had that athleticism, just never played like he trusted his game.

Reactions: 81b&w
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT