ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Tom Brands the man

dunkej01

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Last edited:
I really enjoyed the write-up. A young Duster once got yelled at by Tom Brands for being a loudmouth, high schooler at Hawkeye Team Camp... Outside of me being arrogant to him, I've heard nothing but positives on his demeanor and character.
Back in the late 70s/early 80s. I hung out at the Steelers training camp a lot during the summers. One time Jack Lambert walk by and I yelled "Hey Lambert" in hopes of getting an autograph. He turned around and growled "hey what". I about pissed myself. Everyone around me loved it though....

Based on the picture towards the bottom, it would appear Tom is already scouting our 133 pounder for next season :).

636317817134232097-170602-04-Tom-Brands-ds.jpg

Tremendous article. Brands is a worthy competitor in every sense of the phrase.

I found the Kemerer recruitment fascinating. Inferred that Brands needed Kemerer not just for the talent, but also to change the culture. That's the hardest thing to do, especially if the culture that was good enough to win in the past no longer is. Gotta hand it to Brands for making that change with Kemerer, Marinelli, Lee, and others who live right off the mat as well.

Guess that sticks a fork in the PD3 wishes ...

Also got a kick out of him being unable to stay put for 2 days on vacation ... not much of an Aruba guy apparently.

I found the Kemerer recruitment fascinating. Inferred that Brands needed Kemerer not just for the talent, but also to change the culture. That's the hardest thing to do, especially if the culture that was good enough to win in the past no longer is. Gotta hand it to Brands for making that change with Kemerer, Marinelli, Lee, and others who live right off the mat as well.

Also got a kick out of him being unable to stay put for 2 days on vacation ... not much of an Aruba guy apparently.
Not an Aruba type. Can you imagine Brands ever offering up a rationalization along the lines of long bus ride, average official and flu-like symptoms?

Reactions: NittanyLion84
Is he more likeable now that we are typically looking down on his team?

Hate to say it but Brands Iowa team will not be the best team in Iowa in a couple years...Iowa State will be taken over....They will ALL be trying to place 2nd anyway....

Yeah, he hates to say it so much that he says it every time the topic arises.

BTW, congrats on your "Shut up because Sandusky" award nomination.

Which/Where are you referring to? I've got multiple arguments going on with dumbasses right now - football board and HR, lol.

Which/Where are you referring to? I've got multiple arguments going on with dumbasses right now - football board and HR, lol.
You have multiple concurrent "shut up because Sandusky" nominations? That might be a first.

Hint: amusing outrage over someone who lost his state finals match not getting a lifetime achievement pass onto 1st team AA, when the wrestler probably doesn't care and his college coach is known for saying you get what you earn.

Reactions: dicemen99
You have multiple concurrent "shut up because Sandusky" nominations? That might be a first.

Hint: amusing outrage over someone who lost his state finals match not getting a lifetime achievement pass onto 1st team AA, when the wrestler probably doesn't care and his college coach is known for saying you get what you earn.

I hear you. I've got to say I'm a little floored by all the attention and the pass Spencer gets for the injury. Wrestling is not basketball. Stuff like this happens all the friggin time but most of the times everybody just shuts up about it. You here whispers, but everyone accepts it as part of the game and either goes out and wrestles or doesn't. Wrestling has a Willis Reed story going on somewhere weekly.

End of quick rant. Reason 7 (hyperbole) why I posted in September of 2015 on here that we got the Lee I wanted. And it's not the kids fault. Just too much hype and pressure not to lose by media and fans. I think he will do very well under Brands as I think he will be a great coach for him. I mean that in a good way, not the spyker way. He will get rid of all that extraneous crap for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: tikk10
I hear you. I've got to say I'm a little floored by all the attention and the pass Spencer gets for the injury. Wrestling is not basketball. Stuff like this happens all the friggin time but most of the times everybody just shuts up about it. You here whispers, but everyone accepts it as part of the game and either goes out and wrestles or doesn't. Wrestling has a Willis Reed story going on somewhere weekly.

End of quick rant. Reason 7 (hyperbole) why I posted in September of 2015 on here that we got the Lee I wanted. And it's not the kids fault. Just too much hype and pressure not to lose by media and fans. I think he will do very well under Brands as I think he will be a great coach for him. I mean that in a good way, not the spyker way. He will get rid of all that extraneous crap for him.
Oh, I totally get it. He's their program savior. Or, change his name to Marsteller and see how this board reacts.

To their credit, Lee and Brands couldn't care less.

Reactions: dicemen99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT