ADVERTISEMENT

Article on who from 2023 class might play in 2023

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
While I agree on Rojas, given his reported ability together with him enrolling in January, this article talks about him playing Mike LB. And the staff has stated that they see Robinson as a Mike LB which kind of says that Rojas will be at Sam or Will.....

Reactions: Online Persona
this article talks about him playing Mike LB.

Rojas is everything the staff looks for in a Sam. Safety speed, LB tackling and his body size truly in between.

His tackling looks as good as Carters does, which makes me think he's going to be tough to keep off the field. I don't think weight gain will be an issue as he played both ways in HS and was a Virginia PotY in his division on offense. (Meaning he probably ran off the excess weight he'll carry into football this fall plus whatever he puts on in S&C)

Still tough to project who will do what. The '23 team seemingly has less holes to fill than '22 team did at this point a year ago. Another thing is hype. I would have thought Durant was going to be a splash player the way he came out of spring and fall camp and he really was just a depth piece. Excellent for a true freshman, but not quite fulfilling the words out of camp.

I like their talk at CB. Somebody will certainly get a lot of snaps there with Porter leaving. Will it be a true or RS Freshman is the question?

While I agree on Rojas, given his reported ability together with him enrolling in January, this article talks about him playing Mike LB. And the staff has stated that they see Robinson as a Mike LB which kind of says that Rojas will be at Sam or Will.....

looking at Rojas, he is not a big kid, does not look like a B10 inside linebacker. But watching his tape he makes so many tackles, and tackles with authority. He has real short area quickness and avoids blockers and anticipates the play. Remarkably so for a high school kid. He looks like the old "hero" position in the old JoePa era defenses somewhere between a strong safety and linebacker.

Reactions: OaktonDave
Rojas is everything the staff looks for in a Sam. Safety speed, LB tackling and his body size truly in between.

His tackling looks as good as Carters does, which makes me think he's going to be tough to keep off the field. I don't think weight gain will be an issue as he played both ways in HS and was a Virginia PotY in his division on offense. (Meaning he probably ran off the excess weight he'll carry into football this fall plus whatever he puts on in S&C)

Still tough to project who will do what. The '23 team seemingly has less holes to fill than '22 team did at this point a year ago. Another thing is hype. I would have thought Durant was going to be a splash player the way he came out of spring and fall camp and he really was just a depth piece. Excellent for a true freshman, but not quite fulfilling the words out of camp.

I like their talk at CB. Somebody will certainly get a lot of snaps there with Porter leaving. Will it be a true or RS Freshman is the question?
Yep there was a lot of hype for Durant, but just too many experienced and talent DT's to jump over. He'll still likely back up Beamon in 2023 but he'll have plenty of opportunities to make game changing plays.

Hopefully Jacobs returns and starts in 2023 at Sam which will give Rojas a year to ease into the competition at that positon to replace Jacobs. LB will be competive this Spring with Buddin and Wylie, along with Rojas and Robinson, being young players looking to impress.

The staff chose to play Miller at CB as a true freshman and it seems there are some 2023 players that look a lot more ready to play from a physical standpoint than Miller was, and still is. Washington for instance, and Washington is reportedly enrolling early. So the staff will likely be pretty selective in the portal at CB. Doesn't seem worth bringing in a player that is not as good as the high school players that are arriving, but who knows what the Smith and Franklin are thinking.

looking at Rojas, he is not a big kid, does not look like a B10 inside linebacker. But watching his tape he makes so many tackles, and tackles with authority. He has real short area quickness and avoids blockers and anticipates the play. Remarkably so for a high school kid. He looks like the old "hero" position in the old JoePa era defenses somewhere between a strong safety and linebacker.
I think that mlb projection is more than a year down the line but agree he's likely better suited outside. Robinson seems like the mlb projection to me if he doesn't eat his way into an edge player.

The staff chose to play Miller at CB as a true freshman and it seems there are some 2023 players that look a lot more ready to play from a physical standpoint than Miller was, and still is.

Miller wasn't thrown to the wolves either. His reps mostly (estimated at 95%+) came in garbage time. Vs Porter who RS and and became a stud the next year or King who was in the fire from day 1.

Wondering if Miller doesn't shift to Safety if the freshman and or transfers come through (a la Ellis, who played CB as a true freshman then switched)?

I think the staff would love to find a Dixon type who can come in as a #3 or 4 CB. Just seems to be the ideal there.

LB feels worlds better now than last year. Hopefully Carter stays and solidified the group.

Miller wasn't thrown to the wolves either. His reps mostly (estimated at 95%+) came in garbage time. Vs Porter who RS and and became a stud the next year or King who was in the fire from day 1.

Wondering if Miller doesn't shift to Safety if the freshman and or transfers come through (a la Ellis, who played CB as a true freshman then switched)?

I think the staff would love to find a Dixon type who can come in as a #3 or 4 CB. Just seems to be the ideal there.

LB feels worlds better now than last year. Hopefully Carter stays and solidified the group.
I have a hard time envisioning Miller as a Safety, as he doesn't look physical enough to even play CB. And the roster is loaded at Safety, for 2023 if Ellis stays, and longer term as Flowers bulks up and the incoming 2023 DB's push for playing time (Nelson and possibly Mack as Mack may end up at CB).

As you noted, Miller played in garbage time but out of necessity due to knowing Porter would leave for the NFL and as insurance for possible low numbers and experience at CB in 2023.

As I just looked and saw that Storm Duck committed to PSU from the portal it looks to me that if no one else leaves at CB that Miller will have a hard time getting playing time in 2023. Maybe he redshirts in 2023. Duck is a pretty big CB at almost 6'1" and 200 lbs and as a 2019 class player that articles say has 1 year of eligibility remaining. Duck played a lot of snaps at CB for UNC in 2022 and earned 2nd team All-ACC.

Well Carter already got a Tesla to drive at PSU for next season and should be one of the top 5-7 compensated players on PSU's roster for 2023.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT