ADVERTISEMENT

AS THE BIRD TURNS (IOWA STUFF)

Nelson aside, what has Gabe Arnold shown that screams "finalist" this season? A one TD win over Will Feldkamp and or Wittlake?

His wrestling this year says borderline AA at best. Not much different than Kennedy a few years ago - and last year and this year. Pretty big jump to finalist.

Given where he's at and their track record of middle to upper weights, I'd wait a bit before anticipating that jump.
Every offseason, GIA proclaims Iowa will score 170 pts.

Now they have to find another 3 pts, somehow.

Definitely an OT question, but since a poster mentioned Whittlake, any word on how he is doing? I couldn’t find anything online. Hope for the best…..

CRAP, I just realized what thread this was. I swore I wouldn’t post here anymore……

Reactions: hlstone
Definitely an OT question, but since a poster mentioned Whittlake, any word on how he is doing? I couldn’t find anything online. Hope for the best…..

CRAP, I just realized what thread this was. I swore I wouldn’t post here anymore……
521ff4617e7ed94f3c17c9c3a3950368.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Nelson aside, what has Gabe Arnold shown that screams "finalist" this season? A one TD win over Will Feldkamp and or Wittlake?

His wrestling this year says borderline AA at best. Not much different than Kennedy a few years ago - and last year and this year. Pretty big jump to finalist.

Given where he's at and their track record of middle to upper weights, I'd wait a bit before anticipating that jump.
Respectfully, I disagree.

He was 4-1 against qualifiers, the only loss being Plott at 184. He beat a semifinalist at 174.

I don’t see that as a write in finalist. But I see that as someone who going into the NCAA tournament would have been identified as a more likely than not placer (depending on seeds/matchups obviously).
I turn this around and wonder, up until 3 weeks ago, would Rocco Welsh have been thought of having a higher 2024 tournament ceiling than Gabe? And why?

I see that as someone who going into the NCAA tournament would have been identified as a more likely than not placer (depending on seeds/matchups obviously).
You literally described a borderline AA above.

Yes, I could agree with you that if the NCAA decides to put 3 returning national champs on one side of the bracket and dump Arnold on the other side with a bunch of borderline AA types, he is equal as likely as any of them to reach the finals.

You are citing a SV over Lenny Wolak as evidence he is better than a borderline AA. I would cite the same victory as evidence he isn't. Wolak is a nice story at this year's championship but has 4 years of history that we can look at that doesn't even really say AA.

You literally described a borderline AA above.

Yes, I could agree with you that if the NCAA decides to put 3 returning national champs on one side of the bracket and dump Arnold on the other side with a bunch of borderline AA types, he is equal as likely as any of them to reach the finals.

You are citing a SV over Lenny Wolak as evidence he is better than a borderline AA. I would cite the same victory as evidence he isn't. Wolak is a nice story at this year's championship but has 4 years of history that we can look at that doesn't even really say AA.
Put it this way, I don’t think Welsh AA was surprising at all. Was a 6 seed, had a good year, got a great draw for sure. But it was easy to see for most the year he’s not an easy guy to beat.

I don’t think (and maybe Welsh jumped levels in the last month) there’s been a time in the last few years Welsh is better (perhaps even, but not better) than Gabe. Hence, I think it’s more likely than not Gabe finds the podium barring a nightmare draw.

Reactions: Lyco1990
Put it this way, I don’t think Welsh AA was surprising at all. Was a 6 seed, had a good year, got a great draw for sure. But it was easy to see for most the year he’s not an easy guy to beat.

I don’t think (and maybe Welsh jumped levels in the last month) there’s been a time in the last few years Welsh is better (perhaps even, but not better) than Gabe. Hence, I think it’s more likely than not Gabe finds the podium barring a nightmare draw.
Rocco could have easily found himself outside the podium. He won like 3 straight matches in OT. I think someone posted on here that Welsh had something like 2 TDs in regulation time in his last 10 bouts ( I don't remember the exact stat). He'll likely have to make a jump if he wants to see the finals again unless he gets another dream bracket.
It's possible but it doesn't make him any better than he is now. If you have Kennedy and him wrestle 10 times, who's winning 6.

There's a poll on GIA as to whether or not Tom should retire. Here is the first name under NO. Currently the voting is 48% NO - 52% YES.

View results: Should Tom resign/be fired?

Reactions: hlstone
Rocco could have easily found himself outside the podium. He won like 3 straight matches in OT. I think someone posted on here that Welsh had something like 2 TDs in regulation time in his last 10 bouts ( I don't remember the exact stat). He'll likely have to make a jump if he wants to see the finals again unless he gets another dream bracket.
It's possible but it doesn't make him any better than he is now. If you have Kennedy and him wrestle 10 times, who's winning 6.
Rocco certainly benefited from the bracket being so lopsided. 3 former champs and none on his side.

As far as Gabe goes. He had a good redshirt year. But a whole season of competition every weekend is different than some scattered matches.

Reactions: donboy6499
I think (correct me if I’m wrong) our difference of opinion is one where I think it takes a bad draw (think the 8 seed this year) to keep either off the podium, you see it as it takes a good draw to get either on it.

Respectfully, I disagree.

He was 4-1 against qualifiers, the only loss being Plott at 184. He beat a semifinalist at 174.

I don’t see that as a write in finalist. But I see that as someone who going into the NCAA tournament would have been identified as a more likely than not placer (depending on seeds/matchups obviously).
I turn this around and wonder, up until 3 weeks ago, would Rocco Welsh have been thought of having a higher 2024 tournament ceiling than Gabe? And why?
Yes, but remember…this was his first year. You haven’t factored in the Iowa regression that will inevitably occur.

I think (correct me if I’m wrong) our difference of opinion is one where I think it takes a bad draw (think the 8 seed this year) to keep either off the podium, you see it as it takes a good draw to get either on it.
Let's look at a more normal draw:

Had Carter not gotten hurt:
- Welsh is the 7. He gets Lewis in the quarters (L), Sax in R12 (W), DeVos next. If he wins that, he gets Ruth in the consi semis, likely capped at 4th. If he loses, he gets Pasiuk in the 7th place match.
- Wolak is the 8. If he gets past Kemp (not a given), he gets Carter in the quarters (L), then Kennedy in R12. If he loses to Kemp, he's gotta beat Augustine and Gaitan just to reach R12. Either way, him making the podium is in the "stuff happens" category.

Had Carter been the 7 instead of getting re-seeded:
- Welsh would've gotten Carter in the semis (L). He's probably in the 4-6 range.
- Wolak is the 8. Same as above, except Lewis instead of Carter.

Either way, Welsh makes the podium -- though the big assumption is that he keeps winning so many Lewan matches. Wolak maybe makes it but is unlikely.

Also, both guys benefited from 174 being badly seeded (and not just Carter). Before the tourney, Conigliaro was not the 5th best guy in the country; Wolak was not the 7th best; neither was better than Kennedy, etc. This was a bracket that got blown up before the action started, first by the seeding math, and then by the idiotic decision to re-seed Carter.

Let's look at a more normal draw:

Had Carter not gotten hurt:
- Welsh is the 7. He gets Lewis in the quarters (L), Sax in R12 (W), DeVos next. If he wins that, he gets Ruth in the consi semis, likely capped at 4th. If he loses, he gets Pasiuk in the 7th place match.
- Wolak is the 8. If he gets past Kemp (not a given), he gets Carter in the quarters (L), then Kennedy in R12. If he loses to Kemp, he's gotta beat Augustine and Gaitan just to reach R12. Either way, him making the podium is in the "stuff happens" category.

Had Carter been the 7 instead of getting re-seeded:
- Welsh would've gotten Carter in the semis (L). He's probably in the 4-6 range.
- Wolak is the 8. Same as above, except Lewis instead of Carter.

Either way, Welsh makes the podium -- though the big assumption is that he keeps winning so many Lewan matches. Wolak maybe makes it but is unlikely.

Also, both guys benefited from 174 being badly seeded (and not just Carter). Before the tourney, Conigliaro was not the 5th best guy in the country; Wolak was not the 7th best; neither was better than Kennedy, etc. This was a bracket that got blown up before the action started, first by the seeding math, and then by the idiotic decision to re-seed Carter.
It did, no doubt. Wound up perfectly laid out for folks on the opposite side.

Yep.

I expect full on shoulder braces for Gabe by this Fall, which I fear will slow down his pace immensely.
Perhaps he’ll have to wrestle more defensively then. Wonder what that will look like? Probably make Lewan look like Nolf.

Perhaps he’ll have to wrestle more defensively then. Wonder what that will look like? Probably make Lewan look like Nolf.
I actually think that Rocco will end up the same way. I kind of see both guys as attempting to win matches 3-2 or 4-2.

Ex Hawk wrestler bringing the heat:

wahlberg

All-Conference​

you named clark and ramos who both won their senior years.

sorenson and dsj could be good examples. i don’t recall if injuries were an issue with them. lofthouse seemed to underperform most years and moore was snake bitten his whole career in my recollection.

the rest were covid years
I also posted the following (for a comparison):

23 of 32 (72%) Sanderson AA's who wrestled for Sanderson for more than 2 seasons recorded their best NCAA placement as a Senior (or in their final or most recent season).

14 of 34 (41%) Brands AA's who wrestled for Brands for more than 2 seasons recorded their best NCAA placement as a Senior (or in their final or most recent season).

wahlberg

All-Conference​

23 of 32 (72%) Sanderson AA's who wrestled for Sanderson for more than 2 seasons recorded their best NCAA placement as a Senior (or in their final or most recent season).

14 of 34 (41%) Brands AA's who wrestled for Brands for more than 2 seasons recorded their best NCAA placement as a Senior (or in their final or most recent season).

That is a VERY telling stat!

wahlberg

All-Conference​

I'm guessing this includes Sanderson's time as coach with ISU? At PSU, it is even better, if my calculations are correct:

36 Different All Americans

14 One Time All Americans (Vallimont, Cyler, Long, D Alton, English, Gulibon,Lawson, Rasheed, Cassar, Beard, SVN, Kasak, MM, Truax)

Only Ones that "Regressed" according to his definition below. No way Cenzo. Hall, or RBY regressed. They just lost to a superior opponent that one day
-Cenzo: 1,1,2
-Hall: 1,2,2
-Nick Nevills: 5,7
-RBY: 8,1,1,2
-Max Dean: 1,7
-D. Alton: 3,DNP,DNP
-Gulibon: DNP,5,DNP,DNP
-Rasheed: 7,DNP

Dan Vallimont2
Frank Molinaro521
Cyler Sanderson6
Quentin Wright121
David Taylor2121
Andrew Long3
Ed Ruth3111
Nico Megaludis2231
Dylan Alton3DNPDNP
Matt Brown251
Zain Retherford5111
James English7
Morgan McIntosh732
Jordan Conaway86
Jimmy GulibonDNP5DNPDNP
Jimmy LawsonDNP6
Jason Nolf2111
Bo Nickal2111
Vincenzo Joseph112
Mark Hall122
Nick Nevills57
Nick Lee5511
Shakur Rasheed7DNP
Roman Bravo-Young8112
Anthony Cassar1
Carter Starocci1111
Aaron Brooks1111
Michael Beard7
Greg Kerkvliet7421
Max Dean17
Beau Bartlett32
Shayne Van Ness3
Levi Haines21
Tyler Kasak3
Mitchell Mesenbrink2
Bernie Truax5

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw and hlstone

these guys will have a 2-1 score can't tell who will win!

Reactions: donboy6499
Good morning Penn State Wrestling Fans! And just like that, another Team Championship is in the books. Congrats to all of the Wrestlers, Coaches, Support staff, and families. It's been another great year!

Feel free to use this thread for today's match discussions and PBP's.

Today's schedule:

11 AM EDT (ESPNU and ESPN+):
Consi Semi-final Matches:
149: #7 T.Kasak vs. #1 R.Lovett (NEB)
184: #6 B.Truax vs. #4 Munoz (ORST)

The winner advances to 3rd place match and the loser wrestles for 5th.

7 PM EDT (ESPN and ESPN+):
Finals Matches:
141: #2 B.Bartlett vs. #1 J.Mendez (OHST)
157: #1 L.Haines vs. #2 J.Teemer (ASU)
165: #2 M.Mesenbrink vs. #4 D.Carr (ISU)
174: #9 C.Starocci vs. #6 R.Welsh (OHST)
197: #1 A.Brooks vs. #2 T.Hidlay (NCST)
285: #1 G.Kerkvliet vs. #10 L.Davidson (MICH)

The Trophy Presentation will be streamed on ESPN+.

While it's not all about the team scoring record, it should be noted that it is in play (170). PSU currently has 148 points. 33 points are available in today's matches (plus any bonus):
  • Finals win = 4 placement points, 0 advancement points
  • Consi semi win = 3 placement points, .5 advancement points
  • 3rd or 5th win = 1 placement point
  • Plus any bonus
Another record that's in play: In 1986, Iowa won by 73.75 points. PSU currently leads by 83.5.

Lastly, thanks again to @SlipperyPete12 for his PBP's this weekend. Great job! And to everyone else for their informative posts as well!
I'm hearing whispers on "GIA", that Caliendo is going down to 157 to make room for Kennedy. So I immediately think two things: Siebrecht is gone, and Caliendo just went down a weight only to get teched or majored 3 more times to Mesenbrink 😂

Reactions: creamery freak
I'm hearing whispers on "GIA", that Caliendo is going down to 157 to make room for Kennedy. So I immediately think two things: Siebrecht is gone, and Caliendo just went down a weight only to get teched or majored 3 more times to Mesenbrink 😂
It would make some sense to move a kid or two around to get as much of their talent on the mat at the same time. Caliendo never looked small at 165 though and I imagine he may appear emaciated at 157.

Of course I don't think it is to make room for Kennedy as much as making room for Arnold. The reason Kennedy wrestled 174 for the Hawks this year was because he was their best 174 pounder. If Kennedy doesn't have a spot below 174 he will be their 174 pounder again.

Reactions: donm
It would make some sense to move a kid or two around to get as much of their talent on the mat at the same time. Caliendo never looked small at 165 though and I imagine he may appear emaciated at 157.

Of course I don't think it is to make room for Kennedy as much as making room for Arnold. The reason Kennedy wrestled 174 for the Hawks this year was because he was their best 174 pounder. If Kennedy doesn't have a spot below 174 he will be their 174 pounder again.
He better be. It's their only hope to avoid a shutout at the BJC next year. That's IF Cael decides they are worthy of the BJC instead of Michigan.

wahlberg

All-Conference​

Obligatory Spyker:

BRANDS MAKES THEM HATE THE SPORT !!!!

Any and all speculation about Caliendo to 157 was created by a few posters frantically attempting to get Brands, Arnold, Kennedy, and Caliendo into the lineup next year. I think it's a great move to have their best wrestler, who is a very bulky 165, cut down to 157. Think Chance when John Smith made him cut to 157.
:oops:

ADVERTISEMENT