ADVERTISEMENT

AS THE BIRD TURNS (IOWA STUFF)

Creek Side nailed it. If something against the rules was happening, then it’s been happening for 12 years, promised to dozens of recruits that went elsewhere and given to several that transferred elsewhere. It would have been investigated and deal with. It’s
just people that can’t believe or handle that they are losing within the same set of rules.

Oh yes you did.
Just checked back on the carnage - he relishes a street fight. I’m actually surprised it hasn’t gone too crazy. I would have never done it if he didn’t go into the gutter. He uses Ped State, it’s only fair he gets called Racist Bob - I mean, if you’re going to tar everyone associated with an organization with an unsavory part of its history

giphy.gif

I do get tired of the oxygen we tend to give these discussions here, but I will say that one aspect of all the cognitive dissonance comes from the fact that “Gable style“ (and especially its echo by the acolytes) is by definition inflexible. The tough guy routine is a tight rope.

On the other hand, “Cael style“ is by definition, flexible. From technique to funding, to how to manage strong personalities, to RTC success to NIL, our team proactively adapts. To the Iowa faithful on that rope stretched out decades before, this alone is akin to amorality.

What I’m driving at, is ultimately this debate is a religious one, and therefore relatively useless.

If Cael is recruiting an elite HS wrestler, I could see the topic of "Exactly how does the NLWC fit into my future?" coming up. And I could see Cael or Cody patiently explaining how the NLWC could aid their development. I could even see Cael, Cody, or Casy asking what kind of long-term wresting aspiration the wrestler has. During that discussion it seems wholly appropriate to say something like "Well, if you follow through on your commitment to those goals, then there is a chance you might eventually become an NLWC resident athlete. As coaches, we're here to support you achieving your goals."

This kind of conversation is a long way from "promising NLWC monies on the backend."

I've also read HR complaints alleging big money donors paying above scale for PSU wrestlers to give clinics. But now some seem to recognize NIL has pretty much eliminated any teeth behind enforcing this kind of alleged compliance infraction.

These two allegations seem to be what is termed "gray areas leading to an extra 5 or 6 scholarships." And Iowa with Coach Brands never approached these gray areas.

But Iowa will be operating on even playing from now on, so stay tuned. It can only be good for the sport.
Any accusation about clinic/camp monies is beyond hilarious.
First, Iowa folks have paid PSU student athletes the same money to do clinics in Iowa, plus paid for their air travel and lodging.
Second, they have paid Spencer, Marinelli, DeSanto, Warner and others the same amount of money to do camps/clinics.

If it wasn't for the word stupid, there would not exist the perfect adjective to describe HR.

Reactions: Beezy14 and Grass
Any accusation about clinic/camp monies is beyond hilarious.
First, Iowa folks have paid PSU student athletes the same money to do clinics in Iowa, plus paid for their air travel and lodging.
Second, they have paid Spencer, Marinelli, DeSanto, Warner and others the same amount of money to do camps/clinics.

If it wasn't for the word stupid, there would not exist the perfect adjective to describe HR.
There's a thread for that lmfao

According to the NCAA Iowa is #23 while we are #31. Mich is #4 and tOSU is #6.

This “proprietary analysis” has Wrestlestat’s fingerprints all over it.

I kid, I kid!

Wrestlstat is all good and an excellent service overall.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Just checked back on the carnage - he relishes a street fight. I’m actually surprised it hasn’t gone too crazy. I would have never done it if he didn’t go into the gutter. He uses Ped State, it’s only fair he gets called Racist Bob - I mean, if you’re going to tar everyone associated with an organization with an unsavory part of its history

giphy.gif
He seems proud of it actually. You see he called the article an activist hit piece? Really? Probably the easiest article the author has ever written. What a jackass. Any justice in the world will have the sign with his name on it fall off the new building and hit him in the head.

Reactions: Creek Side
Sure is, fake and misleading, using search counts as part of the matrix. Forget about number of titles, or NC's that most normal folks would use to rate D1 Wrestling .

They sounds like a group that would hand out participation trophies to me.

What they are really measuring is popularity of the university based on search counts, and then applying costs as a factor. Has nothing to do with wrestling.

What factors determine a school’s NCSA Power Ranking?​

NCSA Power Rankings evaluate colleges and universities using important criteria that families consider when looking at potential schools. We understand there’s a lot to think about when creating a target list of schools, including—athletics, academics, location and affordability.

To offer athletes and families comprehensive lists of the best NCAA and NAIA programs across the country, the NCSA Power Rankings evaluate colleges and universities according to the following four metrics:

• NCSA Favorites: This is perhaps the most robust measure of a college program’s popularity with current high school student-athletes. NCSA Favorites data represents the college-search activity of over 3 million student-athletes in NCSA’s recruiting network. A school’s number of favorites reflects the number of student-athletes who have added it as a school of interest in the NCSA recruiting network.
  • U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges: The annual U.S. News Best Colleges rankings focus strictly on academic excellence. Schools are ranked on 17 measures of academic quality, with a strong emphasis on student outcomes, like graduation and retention rates.
  • College Scorecard Graduation Rate: The U.S. Department of Education’s College Scorecard provides the most reliable data on college costs, graduation rates and post-college earnings. Data is provided through federal reporting from institutions on financial aid and tax information. College Scorecard’s graduation rate data is gathered from the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS), an annual collection distributed by the Postsecondary Branch of the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
  • College Scorecard Average Cost After Aid: College Scorecard’s Average Cost After Aid (or “Average Annual Cost”) is also gathered from the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS). IPEDS defines this as Institutional net price which is the average yearly price charged to first-time, full-time undergraduate students receiving student aid at an institution of higher education after deducting such aid.

How are NCSA Power Rankings calculated?​

NCSA Power Rankings are calculated through a proprietary methodology using NCSA Favorites data, general academic rankings from U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges. and the U.S. Department of Education College Scorecard’s graduation rates and average cost after aid. Each data set was individually ranked and weighted as follows:

• NCSA Favorites: 30%
  • U.S. News & World Report Ranking: 30%
  • Graduation Rate Ranking: 30%
  • Average Cost After Aid Ranking: 10%
These metrics are combined to establish a final score for each college or university. Final scores are then ranked overall and can be sorted by sport and NCAA or NAIA division to determine a school’s NCSA Power Ranking.

Reactions: Ski
This would be the greatest troll job in history, if true.
So there's a chance I've been unwittingly playing the straight man to a parody poster?

I would've thought HR moderators could've got wise to that, and shutdown the account, if that were the case. Also, I think I recall someone saying/implying Grip and Iron were either brothers or one in the same.

Sockpuppet possibilities... SMH.

Just a comment that I don’t know that it’s fair to use someone’s bad press against them (in forum arguments) when the rest of us use anonymous handles.

Also, as we know from what has been reported about PSU, you can’t believe everything you read.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkFan1986
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT