ADVERTISEMENT

Football Ask the Experts

Would really like to get an opinion on status of the football recruiting. Saw a few commits flip to elsewhere followed by news of a few good new commitments.

Would really like to get an opinion on status of the football recruiting. Saw a few commits flip to elsewhere followed by news of a few good new commitments.
Yeah, good broad question. So Penn State is an interesting spot. The NIL isn’t at the level of several major powers that they compete against on the trail such as Oregon. But it’s still in a solid spot overall. That being said, Penn State is going to have more success with the kids in which NIL isn’t as big of a talking point. Overall, Penn State recruiting though is in a good place. They’re showing their abilities to get into major recruiting grounds and pull out top prospects, Texas and California. They’ll also always be present in Florida too. It will be tough for Penn State to put together top five classes in its current NIL state but they’ll be able to still find themselves between 7-15 any given year imo.

With the flips, both weren’t surprising. Henderson was always going to be a tough one to hold and McClary just didn’t have the same relationship with Tom Allen that he did with Manny Diaz and that happens.

With Finney, Penn State was the perceived leader basically the entire recruitment until yesterday afternoon. But again, Oregon has a lot of power in recruitments these days. They may even nab a top prospect out of Ohio right from the Buckeyes grasps.

Reactions: m3driver and mcpat
Thoughts on the Zahir Mathis situation after his visit to PSU last weekend? How does he affect the final DL numbers?

Thanks!
I think Penn State is going to continue to try and chip away per se and they may have a chance of eventually flipping him but right now I’d still lean much more towards him signing with the Buckeyes. I have to ask around but I think he would be one of those guys they’re willing to make room for if they have to.

I find that taking three RBs in the same class is interesting. While RB isn't as devalued in college ball as it has been in the NFL, the RB position is still no longer a premier position. Why are we taking three RBs?

I find that taking three RBs in the same class is interesting. While RB isn't as devalued in college ball as it has been in the NFL, the RB position is still no longer a premier position. Why are we taking three RBs?
The general feeling is very much that both Singleton and Allen barring any devastating injury will be NFL bound next offseason. They also lost London Montgomery this offseason as well. Who knows if anyone enters following the season. But also the way they rotate running backs they can pitch playing time to all these kids. So I guess to answer it simply is filling the open spots they’ll have at the position.

Yeah, good broad question. So Penn State is an interesting spot. The NIL isn’t at the level of several major powers that they compete against on the trail such as Oregon. But it’s still in a solid spot overall. That being said, Penn State is going to have more success with the kids in which NIL isn’t as big of a talking point. Overall, Penn State recruiting though is in a good place. They’re showing their abilities to get into major recruiting grounds and pull out top prospects, Texas and California. They’ll also always be present in Florida too. It will be tough for Penn State to put together top five classes in its current NIL state but they’ll be able to still find themselves between 7-15 any given year imo.

With the flips, both weren’t surprising. Henderson was always going to be a tough one to hold and McClary just didn’t have the same relationship with Tom Allen that he did with Manny Diaz and that happens.

With Finney, Penn State was the perceived leader basically the entire recruitment until yesterday afternoon. But again, Oregon has a lot of power in recruitments these days. They may even nab a top prospect out of Ohio right from the Buckeyes grasps.
How can our NIL prowess move from solid to top 5? How far away are we?

How can our NIL prowess move from solid to top 5? How far away are we?
I'm not sure it can get to top 5 just because the top 5, we're talking about HUGE money. Fans just have to keep "buying in" literally and donating but outside of that, Penn State could really use one of their major boosters becoming an NIL regular. I do think once revenue sharing becomes a thing, it should help even the playing field quite a bit.

I'm not sure it can get to top 5 just because the top 5, we're talking about HUGE money. Fans just have to keep "buying in" literally and donating but outside of that, Penn State could really use one of their major boosters becoming an NIL regular. I do think once revenue sharing becomes a thing, it should help even the playing field quite a bit.
I agree. But I don't think the "NIL as a Charity" model is sustainable. NIL is really the ability to use a player's NIL in marketing for financial gain. So car dealerships, roofing companies, and general business meet&greets are sustainable IMHO. PSU needs to do this throughout PA, NJ, MD and NY. PSU "should" have an advantage over schools like Alamaba and Ole Miss to name two. Advantages go to tOSU, Michigan, Oregon and GA because they capture an entire state and ones where there are a lot of businesses.

I agree. But I don't think the "NIL as a Charity" model is sustainable. NIL is really the ability to use a player's NIL in marketing for financial gain. So car dealerships, roofing companies, and general business meet&greets are sustainable IMHO. PSU needs to do this throughout PA, NJ, MD and NY. PSU "should" have an advantage over schools like Alamaba and Ole Miss to name two. Advantages go to tOSU, Michigan, Oregon and GA because they capture an entire state and ones where there are a lot of businesses.
I agree that its not sustainable, I think revenue sharing for NIL is going to be a big key.

Reactions: Obliviax
I agree that its not sustainable, I think revenue sharing for NIL is going to be a big key.
Agree. At some point, the college players are going to have to form some kind of collective. Perhaps a union. The NCAA (of the combined SEC/B1G Football Power entity) will have to get a CBA for the betterment of the players and game.

Reactions: bison13
Thoughts on positional priorities for the ‘26 class? With highly rated prospects at RB and QB already committed, seems like potential for an epic haul on the offensive side of the ball.

Sorry to ask 2 questions but with what seems like a slow traffic day on the board today want to make sure this thread stays up top.

Hey everyone, to finish off the month thought we’d do a free Q&A today. You ask anything Penn State football related (or basketball), we’ll do our best to answer.
Whats up with Cyrus? Any new intel? I read S. Carolina gave him something to think about, which is why this is dragging out longer then we thought.

Gun to your head...Does PSU land Cyrus?

Is Oregon mostly Phil Knight money?

Where does OSU get their money?

What about Pegula for us?

Any insight on how Kotelnicki is different from Yurcich in a good way and his relationship with Allar?

General feeling on the passing game/wide receivers? Fleming?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT