ADVERTISEMENT

***Ask The Staff: Rose Bowl Edition***

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
Feel free to ask any questions for Nittany Nation’s staff members post your questions about the team, recruiting, or anything else in this thread below. If we don't know the answer, we'll work our hardest to get the best answer possible. Please refrain from commenting on other people's questions and answers, however, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any of our questions.

We will check in on the thread all day long to answer whatever questions you have!

Reactions: NedFromYork
Out of our stellar LB recruiting class, which player do you think will get the most snaps on defense and make a substantial contribution to the defense in 2023?

Out of our stellar LB recruiting class, which player do you think will get the most snaps on defense and make a substantial contribution to the defense in 2023?
I think Rojas could play the most in 2023 out of the incoming class, Robinson hasn't played in quite some time due to his injuries and I think Keys is more a developmental piece who has a high ceiling, but is mostly potential at this point.

Not to mention there is some solid depth at the position with Elsdon and Jacobs returning along with future / current star Abdul Carter playing a ton as well.

Feel free to ask any questions for Nittany Nation’s staff members post your questions about the team, recruiting, or anything else in this thread below. If we don't know the answer, we'll work our hardest to get the best answer possible. Please refrain from commenting on other people's questions and answers, however, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any of our questions.

We will check in on the thread all day long to answer whatever questions you have!
I see predictions for a high scoring shoot out. I can't believe we'll score a lot of points and the Utes the same. I'm feeling 27-17. What do you guys think? Should I bet the under or over?

Last edited:
Reactions: Online Persona
Another…do you see Kobe King taking over from Elsdon as the primary M LB? Follow-up, if yes, how soon into the season will it happen and how do you see the percentage of snaps looking? Very close like 55-45 or more significant like 70-30?

Seems like PSU has had a high number of marginal NFL prospects leave early the last 2 or more draft classes. There are a few no brainers like Porter this year but several head scratchers.

Can you lay out those who left early the last 2 or 3 draft classes and where they went in the draft/where projected this draft?

I agree with Richie, I think Tony Rojas will be a guy we see rather quickly.
The other thing that Rojas has going for him is that he reportedly is enrolling in January, so he will have a chance to add some muscle in the winter S&C program as well as participate in the Spring practices.

Robinson is also reportedly enrolling in January which will be important for him as he seeks to shake of the rust of missing his senior high school season. Some of the hype on Robinson died down this past year while he was injured and not playing, but he may have been the #1 LB target for PSU in this class and I wouldn't put it past Diaz to get him on the field at Mike for a few games in 2023, where the staff has reportedly targeted him to play.

Rojas reportedly and from the pictures passed around needs to put on some good weight before he lines up in a game at PSU, whereas Robinson already looks the part of B10 LB and probably has spent this past season working on his physique further with time on his hands due to sitting out the season......

Last edited:
Any word out of the pre-bowl practices held at PSU who may have made a late move and be in line for significant added playing time at WR with Washington out? From what happened during the season the safe bet would be Tinsley, KLS and Wallace starting and Evans and Clifford getting a few snaps. But the other true freshmen are not in danger of burning their redshirts and any that have stepped up could end up on the field in the Rose Bowl.

Okay whats our WR rotation next season?
Does someone step up?
Is Liam Clifford a chain mover?
Omari Evans the downfield guy?
Portal to offer any help?

Reactions: GregInPitt
I've seen it posted elsewhere that Ellies may have recently inked an NIL deal. Have you heard this? Would potentially be a tell as to his availability for next year

Reactions: GregInPitt
Another…do you see Kobe King taking over from Elsdon as the primary M LB? Follow-up, if yes, how soon into the season will it happen and how do you see the percentage of snaps looking? Very close like 55-45 or more significant like 70-30?
I think next season, there's a legitimate chance we see Kobe King take on a bigger role, if not being the primary starter. He's come on strong as the season has progressed. Probably be a bit closer to 60-40 if he does become a starter.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Okay whats our WR rotation next season?
Does someone step up?
Is Liam Clifford a chain mover?
Omari Evans the downfield guy?
Portal to offer any help?

1) 1st String: Transfer, KLS, Wallace
2nd String: Evans, Saunders/Clifford, Transfer

That second, second-string outside spot is going to be the big question mark.

2) I think KLS, Wallace, and Evans all could have big 2023 seasons, all have the talent and have shown flashes but need to put it all together now.

3) Depends on how you define chain mover - I think he'll carve out a nice role on the offense next season, will be a nice possession type wide receiver but has good athleticism.

4) Evans very much could be the downfield, game-changing type wide receiver that can take the top off opposing defenses. Matching him up with Drew's arm strength could become very fun to watch.

5) The portal will offer help. Will it be a top tier talent? We'll see but there's a lot of good talent at the position left in the portal. They'd love to land a Cephas, Thornton, Prather but we'll see... I think no matter what they leave the portal at wide receiver with at least one very good wide receiver, perhaps two.

Any word out of the pre-bowl practices held at PSU who may have made a late move and be in line for significant added playing time at WR with Washington out? From what happened during the season the safe bet would be Tinsley, KLS and Wallace starting and Evans and Clifford getting a few snaps. But the other true freshmen are not in danger of burning their redshirts and any that have stepped up could end up on the field in the Rose Bowl.
I think we see quite a bit of Omari Evans in the Rose Bowl - he's going to be a major piece of the offense next season and this would be a great way to springboard him into next year.

In terms of eligibility, it's interesting this year.. the NCAA recently announced a one-time waiver that means the bowl games this season won't count towards their eligibility.

I see predictions for a high scoring shoot out. I can't believe we'll score a lot of points and the Utes the same. I'm feeling 27-17. What do you guys think? Should I bet the under or over?
That's a really good question. I think right now, the highest score I can see this game being is around 38-35 but I think a game closer to your score is quite possible as well. With the line around 52.5 right now, I don't think I would touch it personally but if I had to pick one... I'd go under but I wouldn't blame anyone for taking the over either. Better chance we see 13-10 in this game rather than 48-45 imo.

Seems like PSU has had a high number of marginal NFL prospects leave early the last 2 or more draft classes. There are a few no brainers like Porter this year but several head scratchers.

Can you lay out those who left early the last 2 or 3 draft classes and where they went in the draft/where projected this draft?
I'm going to make this an article, if you don't mind.

Can Driver help the WR room next year? Saunders?

Lacking in a Bell Cow at DT and a Dude at WR for past couple of years...........

1) 1st String: Transfer, KLS, Wallace
2nd String: Evans, Saunders/Clifford, Transfer

That second, second-string outside spot is going to be the big question mark.

2) I think KLS, Wallace, and Evans all could have big 2023 seasons, all have the talent and have shown flashes but need to put it all together now.

3) Depends on how you define chain mover - I think he'll carve out a nice role on the offense next season, will be a nice possession type wide receiver but has good athleticism.

4) Evans very much could be the downfield, game-changing type wide receiver that can take the top off opposing defenses. Matching him up with Drew's arm strength could become very fun to watch.

5) The portal will offer help. Will it be a top tier talent? We'll see but there's a lot of good talent at the position left in the portal. They'd love to land a Cephas, Thornton, Prather but we'll see... I think no matter what they leave the portal at wide receiver with at least one very good wide receiver, perhaps two.
What’s up (or down) with Saunders? He seemed to be KJH2 or better.

Was this why O$U never offered or offered as CB?

What’s up (or down) with Saunders? He seemed to be KJH2 or better.

Was this why O$U never offered or offered as CB?
I’ve been hearing good things lately. Still plenty of potential in him and he can be a big playmaker.

They did offer him as a corner but also if you’re Ohio State you can choose and pick to the crazy degrees at wide receiver position.

Reactions: MacNit07
I think next season, there's a legitimate chance we see Kobe King take on a bigger role, if not being the primary starter. He's come on strong as the season has progressed. Probably be a bit closer to 60-40 if he does become a starter.
I agree, as Kobe King seemed to make some nice plays particularly in the last few games. With Robinson seemingly going to enroll early and compete at Mike I wonder if Elsdon gets pushed down the depth chart.

I agree, as Kobe King seemed to make some nice plays particularly in the last few games. With Robinson seemingly going to enroll early and compete at Mike I wonder if Elsdon gets pushed down the depth chart.
Depth and competition at MLB would be a positive change.

Cam Lenhardt announcing 1-3-23. We are in his top 5. Thoughts?

I wouldn't think we have enough room.

ADVERTISEMENT