ADVERTISEMENT

At some point, CFP and bowl games are going to realize...

PaoliLion

Nov 2, 2003
that rankings are dropping for CFB and its within their absolute best interest to get more teams into a playoff format. It might change as early as next year depending on ratings. You can’t have teams like PSU sitting on the sideline every year

Reactions: Howie'81
that rankings are dropping for CFB and its within their absolute best interest to get more teams into a playoff format. It might change as early as next year depending on ratings. You can’t have teams like PSU sitting on the sideline every year

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Meaningless bowl games bring in big TV money. Our meaningless bowl game is still going to be one of the top 5 viewed games.

I was thinking about this earlier. Let's say they move to an 8 team playoff - five Power 5 champs are in, three at large (think that's the most popular model). Using that scenario this year, you'll have:

SEC - Georgia
Pac 12 - USC
B1G - Wisconsin/OSU
ACC - Miami/Clemson
Big XII - Oklahoma

Your best at large teams before the championship games are Bama at 11-1 and PSU at 10-2. UCF is undefeated. Anyway, after the championship games you have (potentially):

Wisconsin 11-1
Clemson 11-2 or Miami 10-2

So, in a scenario where the five champs are Georgia, USC, OSU, Oklahoma, and either Miami/Clemson, the best remaining teams (using W/L record) are:

Penn State 10-2
Wisconsin 11-1
Alabama 11-1
Miami 10-2 or Clemson 11-2
UCF 12-0
Washington 10-2

Who gets in? If you lose a college football championship game, are you completely out?

Not sure there is a real good solution here.

I was thinking about this earlier. Let's say they move to an 8 team playoff - five Power 5 champs are in, three at large (think that's the most popular model). Using that scenario this year, you'll have:

SEC - Georgia
Pac 12 - USC
B1G - Wisconsin/OSU
ACC - Miami/Clemson
Big XII - Oklahoma

Your best at large teams before the championship games are Bama at 11-1 and PSU at 10-2. UCF is undefeated. Anyway, after the championship games you have (potentially):

Wisconsin 11-1
Clemson 11-2 or Miami 10-2

So, in a scenario where the five champs are Georgia, USC, OSU, Oklahoma, and either Miami/Clemson, the best remaining teams (using W/L record) are:

Penn State 10-2
Wisconsin 11-1
Alabama 11-1
Miami 10-2 or Clemson 11-2
UCF 12-0
Washington 10-2

Who gets in? If you lose a college football championship game, are you completely out?

Not sure there is a real good solution here.

You need to replace PAC 12 Champ USC rather than Washington who didn’t even win their division.

I'm of the opposite view. We already have an elimination system in place. Today we had 10 teams play for conference championships. Why would we need more teams in a playoff system? Can't win your conference? You haven't cleared the hurdle to make it to the championship games.

This past week we've seen the train wreck called Tennessee trying to get their act together. When the fan base tried to dictate how the coach search should be conducted, it ended in a failure. The same will happen when fans or the media get to dictate who should be in some fantasy playoff scheme.

Admittedly, 5 major conferences leave a bit to be desired. Pull in some minor conferences, and you can get to 8. Winning your conference should give the keys to the playoff. Being a media darling should not.

Reactions: Art
I'm of the opposite view. We already have an elimination system in place. Today we had 10 teams play for conference championships. Why would we need more teams in a playoff system? Can't win your conference? You haven't cleared the hurdle to make it to the championship games.

Because last year the Big Ten champion didn't get in. This year they may not either. At least one of those 5 champion teams you speak of is not going to get in. Alabama is definitely a top 4 team, they might not get in.

Last year, the Big Ten champion didn't get in because a bunch of talking heads on the sports lines talked up Ohio State. They didn't even win their division. So, we should let public opinion take over instead of actual field results.

If Alabama is a top 4 team, then they should be able to beat those teams that stand in the way between them and a championship. Why bother to play games if the outcome has no meaning? Let's just have fans or the suits decide who gets the championship. That's what we've had in the past and it left a bunch of controversy.

Reactions: AvgUser
Last year, the Big Ten champion didn't get in because a bunch of talking heads on the sports lines talked up Ohio State. They didn't even win their division. So, we should let public opinion take over instead of actual field results.

If Alabama is a top 4 team, then they should be able to beat those teams that stand in the way between them and a championship. Why bother to play games if the outcome has no meaning? Let's just have fans or the suits decide who gets the championship. That's what we've had in the past and it left a bunch of controversy.

I believe there is a contractual obligation for 4 team playoff existing for a few more years before additional teams can be added to playoff.

Joel Klatt has solution. Conferences need to eliminate Divisions and pit top 2 teams against each other in Championship game. The disparity in schedules within Divisions creates the imbalance. In recent years, Florida and Wisco have had a pass to Championship game without being Top 2 in their conference.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Because last year the Big Ten champion didn't get in. This year they may not either. At least one of those 5 champion teams you speak of is not going to get in. Alabama is definitely a top 4 team, they might not get in.

Alabama one of the four teams based on WHAT???? Name recognition??
Have you looked at their schedule? Their best wins came against LSU (# 18) and (somehow) # 24 MIss St in a game that was handed to them on a silver platter by Dan Mullen. Their last 3 games were the Miss St game,Mercer which I had to google to find out who they were and a beat down by Auburn.

At least OSU for all of the agnst they create on this board has a resume. They have 2 top 4 ( at the time) wins. I doubt very highly that the committee will set the precedent for 2 teams from the same conference for THIS Bama team. By putting Auburn at #2 last week they already showed their willingness to put a 2 loss team in the play offs.

FWIW As I said in an earlier post I thought that PSU got royally screwed last year but not by the OSU inclusion but by the UW inclusion.

This past week we've seen the train wreck called Tennessee trying to get their act together. When the fan base tried to dictate how the coach search should be conducted, it ended in a failure. The same will happen when fans or the media get to dictate who should be in some fantasy playoff scheme.

Admittedly, 5 major conferences leave a bit to be desired. Pull in some minor conferences, and you can get to 8. Winning your conference should give the keys to the playoff. Being a media darling should not.

Here is what you and everyone else ignores-there s a poll system conference championship games AND a committee. That is nothing more than a layer cake of ineptitude. The media nonsense is just the icing on the layer cake of ineptitude.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Joel Klatt has solution. Conferences need to eliminate Divisions and pit top 2 teams against each other in Championship game. The disparity in schedules within Divisions creates the imbalance. In recent years, Florida and Wisco have had a pass to Championship game without being Top 2 in their conference.

I thought about this too. Wiscy didn’t play PSU or OSU during the regular season. The divisions are so severely unbalanced the West has had the same representative since this started.

One way in which this system is BETTER than previous ones us that you push the argument DOWN to the 4th and 5th teams. Back in the day, this kind of political horseshit CHOSE THE #1 TEAM!!!!

That said, I am in favor of expanding it to the point where they are arguing the 8th vs 9th teams. This will make it even harder for these blowhards, who will never stop bending the spine of the selection process, to have any real effect on the outcome.

Winning your conference should give the keys to the playoff. Being a media darling should not.
I agree, and the committee will use this as an excuse to let tosu in even though they used the exact opposite excuse to let the bucks in last year. They’re convenient like that.

Last edited:
Have you looked at their schedule? Their best wins came against LSU (# 18) and (somehow) # 24 MIss St in a game that was handed to them on a silver platter by Dan Mullen. Their last 3 games were the Miss St game,Mercer which I had to google to find out who they were and a beat down by Auburn.

At least OSU for all of the agnst they create on this board has a resume. They have 2 top 4 ( at the time) wins. I doubt very highly that the committee will set the precedent for 2 teams from the same conference for THIS Bama team. By putting Auburn at #2 last week they already showed their willingness to put a 2 loss team in the play offs.

FWIW As I said in an earlier post I thought that PSU got royally screwed last year but not by the OSU inclusion but by the UW inclusion.

You are wrong. PSU was screwed over last year by BOTH OSU and Washington. PSU beat OSU head to head and won the BIG Championship. The Michigan blow out was used against PSU last year as a reason for them not getting into the playoff over OSU. The Iowa blow this year all of the sudden isn't all that important when determining if OSU should get in over Bama. I'm sorry, but any team that loses by 16 and 31 doesn't deserve to get into the playoff.

Reactions: Fac

Bama has a win over #2 (at the time). If they're going to look at the game at the time, why didn't they look at OSU's loss to us last year as a loss to an unranked team. There has to be consistency, either it's what the team was ranked at the time or where they ended up.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
So we’d have 5 conference champs; Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC, Georgia + wildcards; UCF, Alabama, Penn State. Simple, easy.

Bama has a win over #2 (at the time). If they're going to look at the game at the time, why didn't they look at OSU's loss to us last year as a loss to an unranked team. There has to be consistency, either it's what the team was ranked at the time or where they ended up.

PLEASE!!

Don't call a win against the PRE SEASON number 2 team in the country in week 1 that had to do a hurry up schedule of a game vs ULL to be bowl eligible the same as beating the number 2 team in the country on October 28 and the number 4 team in the country in week 13

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?.

PLEASE!!

Don't call a win against the PRE SEASON number 2 team in the country in week 1 that had to do a hurry up schedule of a game vs ULL to be bowl eligible the same as beating the number 2 team in the country on October 28 and the number 4 team in the country in week 13

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?.
Then don't call a win at number 2 on October 28th a win against the number two team when that team didn't end up at number two. That sounds equally as stupid.

With 14 team conferences these will still be an imbalance in schedules.

With 14 team conferences these will still be an imbalance in schedules.
And, with smaller conferences, you have more total conferences and, therefore, more conference champions. This would, also, necessitate more than 4 teams in the playoff. Go to eight and let the top seeds host the first playoff game two weeks from championship Saturday. Keep everything as it is now.

Same system is in place this year as last so it would seem an elimination system is not in place...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT