ADVERTISEMENT

Auto Train - Sanford - Lorton - RT

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
Looking for recommendations on roomette, suites, etc. Will be two old timers traveling, looking for most comfortable, willing to spend a bit more, about an 18 hour trip. Have made trip many times but never in a private room, suite. Thank you,

Looking for recommendations on roomette, suites, etc. Will be two old timers traveling, looking for most comfortable, willing to spend a bit more, about an 18 hour trip. Have made trip many times but never in a private room, suite. Thank you,
taken the auto train numerous times...obviously you've forgone the idea of a simple coach seat. Last time I went, took a roomette....you get privacy, a dinner meal, and two single beds - an upper and a lower. I took the upper and once you get in. it's ok, but there's only about a foot or so clearance from bed to ceiling. So depending on your size, it can be a tight fit. My wife and I decided we would not go that route again...too small....better than a coach seat though.
I've never had the larger room, so can't help you with that. There are some YouTube videos that give a pretty good overview of the options. hope this helps

Thanks, we have done the roomette, never again, too small and you are correct on the upper bunk. Was hoping for info on the larger suites.

I will not do coach again! Roomettes we have done since that first trip and I concur, they are small, tight and the upper bunk would be OK for a kid. The only way I get into it is with my wife's liberal use of a cattle prod. I also would be interested in someone's evaluation of the suites.

I saw a recommendation on one site sometime ago that suggests you should take a piece of cardboard and some tape to reduce the airflow into the room, and I would agree with that also.

It takes us about 5 hours to get to Lorton, Va. but our home in Florida is about 20 minutes away from Sanford. We usually stay in a motel an hour or two north of Lorton, and then go home the next day. Paying the extra fee to be one of the first cars unloaded is well worth it in my opinion.

I do not rest well in a plane or on the train, but it sure beats sitting on the I-95 parking lot in the Carolinas or Georgia. Is South Carolina ever going to improve that road?

We took the auto train a few years ago and got a roomette.

Pros:
Meal was fantastic
Bottom bunk was comfortable
Saved a lot of driving time
Saved 2 nights in hotel plus gas

Cons:
You lose a couple of hours by having to arrive early then wait for you car at destination
Train wasn't modern or super clean
Mattress on upper bunk was thin and uncomfortable
They advertise community showers and bath but they're not nice

We took the auto train a few years ago and got a roomette.

Pros:
Meal was fantastic
Bottom bunk was comfortable
Saved a lot of driving time
Saved 2 nights in hotel plus gas

Cons:
You lose a couple of hours by having to arrive early then wait for you car at destination
Train wasn't modern or super clean
Mattress on upper bunk was thin and uncomfortable
They advertise community showers and bath but they're not nice
Thanks for the replies, we will not do a roomette again, interested if anyone has used a suite. In past years we drove from SW FL to PHL, leisure trip, took three days, the train is more convenient. At each destination, going or coming, we stay at a hotel the night before, saves rushing to catch the train and more rested. Is a suite worth it??

Thanks for the replies, we will not do a roomette again, interested if anyone has used a suite. In past years we drove from SW FL to PHL, leisure trip, took three days, the train is more convenient. At each destination, going or coming, we stay at a hotel the night before, saves rushing to catch the train and more rested. Is a suite worth it??
If I had to drive 3 days….the suite would be worth it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT