ADVERTISEMENT

Bartlett NLWC Interview

McScoreley

Feb 24, 2019

Very well spoken kid (not surprising at all) and still has his award winning worthy smile

Few highlights:
-The kids memory is amazing. Without hesitation knew his U23 quarters was D'Emilio and when the interviewer thought he wrestled Carlson his last match at U23s, he immediately said "It was Saunders actually"
-Cited his match against Saunders was something he was really proud of because he went down big early and shot and scored his way back in. @CSauertiegPSU has said he should just watch the 2nd half of that match on repeat.
-Actually said the cut to 143 was a bit of an adjustment right after the season because he did bulk up for 149 and now he's leaner (and quicker as a result)
-Says what we want to hear (obviously doing is different) about offense: He realizes good things happen when he attacks and pushes the pace, bad things happen when he doesn't. It's been the focus of his wrestling practices this summer.
-Says simply going to a lower weight isn't going to make him better (touche, he's correct) but he has done the following in addition to focusing on offensive moves this summer:
-Nutrition was significantly improved (This was interesting and I didn't even consider it, I wonder if he wasn't eating the best to keep his weight up at 149 which might result in him being sluggish in matches. By comparison, Max Dean I don't believe needed to cut for 197 but still lived off of what he described as "kale salads and protein shakes" during wrestling season)
-Mental game (he says he realized he doesn't need to compare himself to any of the national champions, even said he didn't fully feel he fit in at first because he wasn't one of those guys)
-Says his gymnastics videos was just a break from wrestling in the offseason since he does that all year. Mentions it's nothing new, he's been doing it all his life.
-Says he got a lot of NIL inquiries but he's rejecting all of them until March 21st, 2023. Full focus on the season now.

Last edited:

Very well spoken kid (not surprising at all) and still has his award winning worthy smile

Few highlights:
-The kids memory is amazing. Without hesitation knew his U23 quarters was D'Emilio and when the interviewer thought he wrestled Carlson his last match at U23s, he immediately said "It was Saunders actually"
-Cited his match against Saunders was something he was really proud of because he went down big early and shot and scored his way back in. @CSauertiegPSU has said he should just watch the 2nd half of that match on repeat.
-Actually said the cut to 143 was a bit of an adjustment right after the season because he did bulk up for 149 and now he's leaner (and quicker as a result)
-Says what we want to hear (obviously doing is different) about offense: He realizes good things happen when he attacks and pushes the pace, bad things happen when he doesn't. It's been the focus of his wrestling practices this summer.
-Says simply going to a lower weight isn't going to make him better (touche, he's correct) but he has done the following in addition to focusing on offensive moves this summer:
-Nutrition was significantly improved (This was interesting and I didn't even consider it, I wonder if he wasn't eating the best to keep his weight up at 149 which might result in him being sluggish in matches. By comparison, Max Dean I don't believe needed to cut for 197 but still lived off of what he described as "kale salads and protein shakes" during wrestling season)
-Mental game (he says he realized he doesn't need to compare himself to any of the national champions, even said he didn't fully feel he fit in at first because he wasn't one of those guys)
-Says his gymnastics videos was just a break from wrestling in the offseason since he does that all year. Mentions it's nothing new, he's been doing it all his life.
-Says he got a lot of NIL inquiries but he's rejecting all of them until March 21st, 2023. Full focus on the season now.
I think this is the year we the fans will really know what type of wrestler he is. Jarod Verkleeren had three years before being replaced. I am sure he won't be replaced regardless, but the expectation is on the line. Let's go Beau!

Did he say if those NIL inquiries were from PSU supporters?

I know it would be considered tampering from other teams, but what stops teams/boosters if they want to do it? The NCAA isn't.

Just hope he really lets the offense fly this season. He could do some serious damage at 141 if he does.

Reactions: jsn4388

I know it would be considered tampering from other teams, but what stops teams/boosters if they want to do it? The NCAA isn't.
Cael Sanderson
Jake Varner
Bo Nickal
Kyle Snyder
David Taylor

If you get past these 5, you’ve earned it.

I'd encourage PSU athletes to maximize NIL from Panera's that would otherwise go to Ohio State.

Just hope he really lets the offense fly this season. He could do some serious damage at 141 if he does.
I think most agree that he won't be an offensive juggernaut ever but his being at a more comfortable weight plus the natural jumps he makes in his 3rd year (and a weaker class) will change a lot of his close losses to close wins.

Reactions: nitlion6

Few highlights:
That writeup is more than “a few highlights.”
Thank you very much for it!

ADVERTISEMENT