ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Team Should be Moved to Rec Hall for 2 Years

Harbaughsleepovers

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2016
There is a 2 year window for the current young group to do some damage on the court and they should be given every possible advantage to make that happen. The next 2 years are the most critical 2 years in the history of the program considering we have made inroads into Philly and the DMV for the first time that can be leveraged into a sustainable winner if the current players can have success. If we are unable to enjoy any success however with these players and their experience ends negatively, those inroads will close for Chambers and will be difficult to reopen for the next guy who is not going to be a world beater.

Penn State absolutely 1000% has the worse fan base for basketball in the Big Ten right now. It's not even close. You can blame that on whatever you want, it doesn't matter if the fans are justified. Coaches and players don't want to go to a place where people don't care.

I don't care if you like or dislike Pat Chambers, he has poured his heart and soul into this program and has had every headwind imaginable blow in his face along the way. Pat Chambers is respected in this business and people understand the constraints and challenges that come with leading this program.

If Pat Chambers fails, this job will be even less desirable than it was before Chambers took over. That's a fact. People with options in any industry don't seek out the poorest paying jobs with the least amount of support that provide the least amount of opportunity for success.

A 15,000 seat arena with thousands of awful seats in the middle of nowhere when every game can be consumed on TV or over the Internet doesn't work in State College, especially with all the weeknight games and a legit hockey program competing for butts/$. Arguing that winning will sell out the arena is a flawed argument because poor attendance and a lack of a home court is hurting our ability to win.

This program needs to be given every advantage possible for the next two years to give the players and coaches the greatest chance at success. Moving to Rec Hall is a no brainer.

No one in the Big Ten would want to play in Rec Hall. Relative to other venues in the Big Ten that are loud and sold out, playing at the BJC is like playing in a library. I have season tickets. Outside of the student section, the median age of a season ticket holder seems to be 70 years old and they aren't providing enough energy to compensate for 9000 empty seats. It takes A LOT to get the majority of fans excited that attend these games. I have been there so many times where I'm like, "what is wrong with you people?"

Penn State is going back to dumpster fire mode if it doesn't win the next two years. And for those too young to understand, if you think Penn State is currently in dumpster fire mode under Chambers you have no idea.

We need to leverage the home court advantage a hornet's nest like Rec Hall can provide to win games and build the momentum that is needed to have a really successful season.

If it is possible to move the team back to Rec Hall for the next years, it has to be done. The program can't afford not to win the next couple years and needs to be given every advantage possible.

And I know there will be about 6 guys who I'm ignoring who will say we lost to Princeton there 4 years ago so it won't help. That kind of logic is so incredibly flawed, but whatever.

Playing in Rec Hall helped Bruce Parkhill when we first joined the Big Ten and anyone that remembers those years knows that building was as difficult a place to play as there was in the Big Ten. The coaches hated coaching there.

Time to go back, at least temporarily. We can't blow the opportunity that currently exists because our players get no home court advantage at all. The program can't blow this opportunity. We may not get another.

..."coaches and players don't want to go to a place where people don't care"...
...please explain the Pitt football program... :)

Reactions: psu00
There is a 2 year window for the current young group to do some damage on the court and they should be given every possible advantage to make that happen. The next 2 years are the most critical 2 years in the history of the program considering we have made inroads into Philly and the DMV for the first time that can be leveraged into a sustainable winner if the current players can have success. If we are unable to enjoy any success however with these players and their experience ends negatively, those inroads will close for Chambers and will be difficult to reopen for the next guy who is not going to be a world beater.

Penn State absolutely 1000% has the worse fan base for basketball in the Big Ten right now. It's not even close. You can blame that on whatever you want, it doesn't matter if the fans are justified. Coaches and players don't want to go to a place where people don't care.

I don't care if you like or dislike Pat Chambers, he has poured his heart and soul into this program and has had every headwind imaginable blow in his face along the way. Pat Chambers is respected in this business and people understand the constraints and challenges that come with leading this program.

If Pat Chambers fails, this job will be even less desirable than it was before Chambers took over. That's a fact. People with options in any industry don't seek out the poorest paying jobs with the least amount of support that provide the least amount of opportunity for success.

A 15,000 seat arena with thousands of awful seats in the middle of nowhere when every game can be consumed on TV or over the Internet doesn't work in State College, especially with all the weeknight games and a legit hockey program competing for butts/$. Arguing that winning will sell out the arena is a flawed argument because poor attendance and a lack of a home court is hurting our ability to win.

This program needs to be given every advantage possible for the next two years to give the players and coaches the greatest chance at success. Moving to Rec Hall is a no brainer.

No one in the Big Ten would want to play in Rec Hall. Relative to other venues in the Big Ten that are loud and sold out, playing at the BJC is like playing in a library. I have season tickets. Outside of the student section, the median age of a season ticket holder seems to be 70 years old and they aren't providing enough energy to compensate for 9000 empty seats. It takes A LOT to get the majority of fans excited that attend these games. I have been there so many times where I'm like, "what is wrong with you people?"

Penn State is going back to dumpster fire mode if it doesn't win the next two years. And for those too young to understand, if you think Penn State is currently in dumpster fire mode under Chambers you have no idea.

We need to leverage the home court advantage a hornet's nest like Rec Hall can provide to win games and build the momentum that is needed to have a really successful season.

If it is possible to move the team back to Rec Hall for the next years, it has to be done. The program can't afford not to win the next couple years and needs to be given every advantage possible.

And I know there will be about 6 guys who I'm ignoring who will say we lost to Princeton there 4 years ago so it won't help. That kind of logic is so incredibly flawed, but whatever.

Playing in Rec Hall helped Bruce Parkhill when we first joined the Big Ten and anyone that remembers those years knows that building was as difficult a place to play as there was in the Big Ten. The coaches hated coaching there.

Time to go back, at least temporarily. We can't blow the opportunity that currently exists because our players get no home court advantage at all. The program can't blow this opportunity. We may not get another.

Have you ever attended a BB game in Rec Hall? I have and it is the pits. Last year not even the students showed up.

I like like the idea but it will never happen.

Reactions: cavic
Have you ever attended a BB game in Rec Hall? I have and it is the pits. Last year not even the students showed up.
I'll disagree with you on this one. I've attended games in both and I prefer Rec Hall. That is not to say it's a great venue, but it would be more intimate and noisier.

55c109227c157.image.jpg

You can thank Tim Curley for that. That's not Sandy's fault.

What IS Sandy's fault, is that she has not addressed the problem. If it's not in the master plan, then Sandy does not care about winning.

You cannot win in a cavern with awful seats and a giant black curtain, and about 18 students yelling in what sounds like a high school game.

Either that or hire a new coach and win more games than we lose. That would be a good start.

Reactions: coveydidnt

Were the students on campus?
If they were, was it finals' week?
Do you think a lack of expectations for the team last year and playing Canisius and Lousiana Lafayette had anything to do with that?

What Big Ten game did we play this year where Rec Hall wouldn't have been jammed?

Did I say play in Rec Hall for the rest of eternity?

Using Rec Hall to leverage on court success would build interest in the program and help us sustain what we are doing in recruiting as long as there was a plan in place for the future.

Penn State has no home court advantage. Any kind of a legitimate fan base would have been at the Indiana home game this year. We were coming off of consecutive wins against Michigan State and Minnesota with an exciting young team getting some press. I was at the Indiana game and the attendance was a joke.

I have had games that I can't get to that I can't even sell for $6. That's not a Penn State basketball product quality problem, that's a local economy and fan base problem. It's also Bryce Jordan Center problem because the building is so depressing to be in.

Dear Mr. Chambers,

I have been following your succession of recent posts (excuses) explaining the 6 year failure of your husband to show any "results oriented" improvement in the basketball program during his tenure here. I think the only excuse you forgot was "the dog ate the gameplan last night". Other than that, I think you've covered every possible scenario for the lack of improvement between years 1-6.

Now that I have gotten the smart-a$$ and sarcastic comments out of the way, I will go on to say ... I sincerely respect your passion for the program.

Your above post has a lot of merit. I agree the next two years are critical for PSU basketball. They will either start to show dramatic improvement in results (wins and losses and tournament appearances) or they will continue the losing years for the foreseeable future with less than talented players and coaches playing musical chairs in the BJC.

I like your idea of moving the games to Rec Hall in an attempt to gain a significant home court advantage because I agree completely - there is no such thing at the BJC. Just as you have a lot of excuses for the lack of wins, I am sure our administration will have a lot of excuses why your idea has no merit. I hope you follow up with Sandy B and push this idea ... she can only say "yes", "no", or "maybe".

Good luck in your efforts.

To the idiots I'm ignoring, I can see the gaps between posts from people I'm not ignoring and myself.

How desperate do you have to be to continue to reply to my posts when I'm not reading them and am not responding to them?

I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings because I'm much much smart than you, but it's time to give up and stop hijacking every thread with your idiocy.

I'm not reading your replies. Move on.

I think this is the greatest related basketball post I have ever seen here.

I live in SC but didn't make one game this year. With two small children and full time career it is hard to make it over. That said, the Jordan Center is such a dark and uninspiring place to play. I never understood how the Breslin Center looks so inviting and bright compared to the Jordan Coffin Center - they are similiar buildings. If it was a more exciting atmosphere, maybe I'd make it over.

Do these Philadelphia guys like Chambers? That is my biggest worry. But still, he gets them to come here. Think about that for a moment - Philadelphia guys to come here....

He does need to have a good year next year though.

It was and is a requirement to be a member of Big 10 to have & play in an arena larger than Rec hall.

I don't know if that's true or not but if it is then they need to tell Delany and the big ten to go pound sand. I just watched part of the Northwestern game today and they played in a building basically the size of Rec Hall. Duke plays in a similar building.

If the university builds a basketball only arena like UDub, or Colorado (basically a Palestra that seats 10,000-11,000) that would be great but I don't see them doing that anytime soon.

Last edited:

I feel sorry for your family!!! You are the weirdest troll in the history of this board. I can't believe the mods are allowing your nonsense.

I don't know if that's true or not but if it is then to tell Delany and the big ten to go pound sand. I just watched part of the Northwestern game today and they played in a building basically the size of Rec Hall. Duke plays in a similar building.

If the university builds a basketball only arena like UDub, or Colorado (basically a Palestra that seats 10,000-11,000) that would be great but I don't see them doing that anytime soon.

You are correct, NU's Welsh-Ryan Arena seats about 8,100 and the RAC at Rutgers seats 8,000.

I do recall that PSU agreed to build a larger basketball arena as part of the agreement to join the Big Ten. That being said, if PSU wanted to move to a smaller facility, they ought to just go ahead and do it. If Delany et al complain, I'd simple tell the to shove it. However, a more diplomatic approach might be to adjust the basketball gate-sharing formula, which, in the end, might benefit both parties.

It's not the arena, it's the coach, stupid.

Reactions: coveydidnt
Forget it, MBB is not moving back to Rec Hall. Highly impractical at this point. And a half full BJC generates more revenue than a packed Rec Hall. I've attended MBB games in Rec Hall when the team was losing and it was beyond terrible. What makes you think the students will show up in Rec Hall when they don't show up in the BJC for a mediocre product? Further, Rec Hall would be a major recruiting liability for MBB.

If MBB wins, the BJC's flaws will be minimized. I think they can do some things to improve the seating configuration, but we built an all-purpose arena because that's what the Commonwealth would pay for, and we have to make the best of it.

Reactions: psu1969a
You are correct, NU's Welsh-Ryan Arena seats about 8,100 and the RAC at Rutgers seats 8,000.

I do recall that PSU agreed to build a larger basketball arena as part of the agreement to join the Big Ten. That being said, if PSU wanted to move to a smaller facility, they ought to just go ahead and do it. If Delany et al complain, I'd simple tell the to shove it. However, a more diplomatic approach might be to adjust the basketball gate-sharing formula, which, in the end, might benefit both parties.

Today's game at Welsh-Ryan was the last game there until 2018-19. A complete renovation will be beginning in the next few weeks and NW's home games next year will be out in Rosemont in The Allstate Arena where DePaul's played for many years.

Welsh-Ryan is a fun place to watch a game because NW students actually show up for games. PSU probably has, what, 4-5 times as many students in State College as Northwestern has in Evanston and NW still outdraws them.

Reactions: fairgambit
It was and is a requirement to be a member of Big 10 to have & play in an arena larger than Rec hall.
Move back to Rec Hall for 2 years while PSU "renovates" the Jordan center. Of course the renovation might just be repainting the hallways but who cares.

The way this team played at MSG against St. Johns and at the Palestra against Michigan St. tells me that huge potential is there. A better atmosphere has got to help.

Forget it, MBB is not moving back to Rec Hall. Highly impractical at this point. And a half full BJC generates more revenue than a packed Rec Hall. I've attended MBB games in Rec Hall when the team was losing and it was beyond terrible. What makes you think the students will show up in Rec Hall when they don't show up in the BJC for a mediocre product? Further, Rec Hall would be a major recruiting liability for MBB.

If MBB wins, the BJC's flaws will be minimized. I think they can do some things to improve the seating configuration, but we built an all-purpose arena because that's what the Commonwealth would pay for, and we have to make the best of it.

Oh really.

My sideline seats at the BJC for a season are like $225 a seat. They can't get much cheaper.

What Penn State would be losing in game day revenue relative to the overall revenues the program generates would be peanuts.

The additional revenues that would be generated by building a winner in the short term and long term would more than compensate for revenues lost because we couldn't take down the curtains twice a year. It's not even close.

This is opportunity cost 101.

Today's game at Welsh-Ryan was the last game there until 2018-19. A complete renovation will be beginning in the next few weeks and NW's home games next year will be out in Rosemont in The Allstate Arena where DePaul's played for many years.

Welsh-Ryan is a fun place to watch a game because NW students actually show up for games. PSU probably has, what, 4-5 times as many students in State College as Northwestern has in Evanston and NW still outdraws them.

The BJC is student repellent. It's a boring and depressing environment.

People would rather watch the games on TV than sit a mile behind the backboard and that seriously detracts from the experience when you are there.

Rec Hall would provide the intimacy and juice that would attract students, not repel them.

I can't believe NW is spending 100 mil on their arena and we have a large toilet bowl.

Move back to Rec Hall for 2 years while PSU "renovates" the Jordan center. Of course the renovation might just be repainting the hallways but who cares.

The way this team played at MSG against St. Johns and at the Palestra against Michigan St. tells me that huge potential is there. A better atmosphere has got to help.

Some sort of move back to Rec Hall may be in the cards. We'll find out if and/or when on 3/13. We should also learn what's in store for the BJC on that date.

The attendance for the St. John's game was 8,200. MSG seats 19,800 for basketball. Don't think the "atmosphere" had a whole lot to do with the victory.

To the idiots I'm ignoring, I can see the gaps between posts from people I'm not ignoring and myself.

How desperate do you have to be to continue to reply to my posts when I'm not reading them and am not responding to them?

I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings because I'm much much smart than you, but it's time to give up and stop hijacking every thread with your idiocy.

I'm not reading your replies. Move on.
I'm obviously on your ignore list since you never respond to my posts, but I will say your call for a better venue is right up there with the rest of your excuses. I live in Lexington and I go to UK games at Rupp and guess what, it's a pretty old and shitty venue. Bad seats, bad sound and overall crappy setting for basketball. But guess what, it sells out every game. If you win, people show up even if you're playing in a barn.

Bryce Jordan Center killed Penn State basketball.
Years ago, I can remember going to MBB at the BJC when it was full. No, the BJC was not designed for BBall, but we were winning games back then and going to the postseason.

Years ago, I can remember going to MBB at the BJC when it was full. No, the BJC was not designed for BBall, but we were winning games back then and going to the postseason.

Any money spent on gameday facilities would return 10x if spent on coaching.

To be fair, NW students haven't really showed up in droves to games over the past 10 years (except for very recently). The games historically rarely sell out, and usually are at least half filled with opposing team fans (except when eastern Big10 are involved). That is changing though. The game today was rocking louder than I probably have ever seen.

Reporters were grilling Tom Izzo about his chances for getting into the NCAA. and he went on a tirade about how the reporters are underselling the conference. He also said how good the big ten was now and assed that there was only one school without a home court advantage (he may have said half full arena, but it was clearly meant to indicate lack of home court advantage) and he agreed to play them in the Palestra, so how dumb was he.

You can argue that there is no money for this, or that rec hall has it's own warts, but nobody can actually defend the BJC as a facility that generates reasonably energetic atmosphere.

Reporters were grilling Tom Izzo about his chances for getting into the NCAA. and he went on a tirade about how the reporters are underselling the conference. He also said how good the big ten was now and assed that there was only one school without a home court advantage (he may have said half full arena, but it was clearly meant to indicate lack of home court advantage) and he agreed to play them in the Palestra, so how dumb was he.

You can argue that there is no money for this, or that rec hall has it's own warts, but nobody can actually defend the BJC as a facility that generates reasonably energetic atmosphere.

I'll gladly pay twice what I'm currently paying for tickets to move to Rec Hall.

Reactions: richmin3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT