ADVERTISEMENT

Bat Signal is up

This conversation is so premature. I think most of us trust Franklin's eye for talent. These services won't start really evaluating until the camp season gets serious. Then we'll see what these "gurus" really think.

The best post in this thread so far (add Paul Jones to the 5 star list):

See my above post. How many 5 star QBs pan or transfer each year. For every Trevor Lawrence there are at least five 5 star busts. Trust the coaching staffs not some fat guy like Mike Farrell

What was Trace D.Clark McGloin and Robinson rated. Now compare Hack Bolden Morelli. The defense rests.

Spin it how you want, this kid is the 712th rated kid in the class. Period

image.jpg

This kid, like Toutant will be 4 star players by the end of the process. Read the article where it says he played CB last year so this past fall was his first year as the starting QB. Franklin gives scholarships to those players that are winners and will fit in the program. This kid falls right in that line and we should be super happy to get him. The bonus will be opening the pipeline to Gorman.......

This conversation is so premature. I think most of us trust Franklin's eye for talent. These services won't start really evaluating until the camp season gets serious. Then we'll see what these "gurus" really think.

The best post in this thread so far (add Paul Jones to the 5 star list):

I agree. Most of these experts start picking up steam during the kid's senior year.

Watch him go from a 3 star to a 4-5 by October/November when schools start coming at him hard down the stretch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Lion
And who ranked him? They and you know better than Franklin.....right.
I’ll take all other D1 coaches and recruiting services and they bad ratings and lack of offers. If you want to compete with BYU for prospects then knock yourself out

I’ll take all other D1 coaches and recruiting services and they bad ratings and lack of offers. If you want to compete with BYU for prospects then knock yourself out
Honest question, no insults. Will you consider the possibility that he may get more offers and be moved up in the rankings as camp season ramps up?

Honest question, no insults. Will you consider the possibility that he may get more offers and be moved up in the rankings as camp season ramps up?

I think he will move up. He went to the Regional Opening last year without ever starting a game as QB and put up very good SPARQ numbers. Maybe his passing showed a need for development. His numbers were good last season and it would hardly be surprising that with a strong Summer, he gets a 4th star. Would be shocked if he doesnt get more offers.

Reactions: marshall23
Here's the thing as well.....2020 is a weak QB field nationally, and especially in our region. We took two 4 star QBs last year. It was going to be tough to follow that the next year. This guy ran a 4.5 laser timed 40 and had a 36 inch vertical as a sophomore. If you can iron out his delivery, this kid could be a Pat White type for us.

Here's the thing as well.....2020 is a weak QB field nationally, and especially in our region. We took two 4 star QBs last year. It was going to be tough to follow that the next year. This guy ran a 4.5 laser timed 40 and had a 36 inch vertical as a sophomore. If you can iron out his delivery, this kid could be a Pat White type for us.

This kid looks like someone Urban Meyer would have taken in a second.

Reactions: ram2020
When you're James Franklin and Penn State, the best you can hope for is a solid game manager. I bet the kid who just verballed is great handing the ball off.

I hate us. We're screwed. :(

LOL. Oregon offered him as well and they just signed the 7th best recruiting class in 2019. Who else needs to offer before you'll be satisfied? Nice try only singling out BYU. Micah Parsons had offers from Temple and Pitt...does that mean he stinks too? Are smaller programs not even allowed to try?

When you're James Franklin and Penn State, the best you can hope for is a solid game manager.

Does he have a popgun arm? That's the true determining factor of whether or not he's PSU material.

Does he have a popgun arm? That's the true determining factor of whether or not he's PSU material.

I should hope so. We're going to need some luck on those 50/50 jump balls because our receivers are turrible.

Reactions: MJG-90
LOL. Oregon offered him as well and they just signed the 7th best recruiting class in 2019. Who else needs to offer before you'll be satisfied? Nice try only singling out BYU. Micah Parsons had offers from Temple and Pitt...does that mean he stinks too? Are smaller programs not even allowed to try?

I'm sure you know this but remember what they say about arguing with a fool...they drag you down to their level and then best you with experience.

I don't think this is anywhere near the same situation as Fields for example - he was a 2018 recruit who committed in 2016 (December). So, a lot more time to move up the rankings. For me, I think the biggest indicators of a good recruit are his offer sheet, measurables, and success/stats given the competition. Bowens does a good job checking all those boxes (and it's likely he'll get more offers soon). Still, I watched his camp video and his throwing mechanics look like they need a lot of work. He doesn't spin a crisp ball and his passes don't seem to have a lot of zip. That said, he looks like an elite runner and is very fast.

I just watched his video and think he has a lot of potential. He does tend to throw off his back foot and has a bit of a shot put delivery. But nothing that can't be coached up.

He does throw well on the roll out - fairly accurate and turns his shoulder to the target.

He's obviously an electric runner.

Funny note: How many different uniforms was he wearing in that video. Guess we have the University of Oregon to thank for that

And - to be fair - the same resources that 90% of the folks on this board get an erection over when they “rate” a PSU kid up or down one spot
That's the problem with this board. Far too many erections. Seems like most threads eventually degenerate into a sword-fight with multiple peni.

Reactions: bmw199
While I totally trust Franklin in recruiting evaluations, let’s not get carried away in our defense of his decisions.
That's the problem with this board. Far too many erections. Seems like most threads eventually degenerate into a sword-fight with multiple peni.
I don’t know about you, but I would be thrilled if a discussion about a recruit gave me an erection.

While I totally trust Franklin in recruiting evaluations, let’s not get carried away in our defense of his decisions.

I don’t know about you, but I would be thrilled if a discussion about a recruit gave me an erection.
Go to the woman's volleyball board.

Ahh, good ole blind loyalty. Works every time.
Franklin pursued Trace as a 3-star. He pursued Justin Fields as a 3-star, long before he was neck and neck with Trevor Lawrence for #1 overall. Therefore, Franklin has EARNED the benefit of the doubt as it relates to talent evaluation.

Reactions: brupsu
I feel like if we want to land Fleming we’ll need higher ranked QB recruits. Hopefully he’s a hidden gem that the staff was the first to discover a la Justin Fields (w/o the decommittment) of course.
What? We just signed two top recruits at QB. C'mon now. Our qb room is a strength right now.

Reactions: 81b&w
Okay I’ll say it. I’m not gonna sugar coat this. Wtf? I wish the kid well but we are a top 10 program and should not be taking QBs that are the 712th ranked player in their class. We should be recruiting key positions a lot better than THIS. This is disappointing, and I think most of you will agree if you take off your blue and white sunglasses
Ehhhhhh.........no.

Reactions: bmw199
JF has shown a remarkable ability to identify talent early and to identify underrated recruits. Toutant is another in this class that I expect to be a high four star with OSU and Bama after him. Look at AO, Trace, Torrance Brown, CC, Givens, Windsor, TS, etc. etc. Brown was a 2 star and Windsor didn’t even have an offer from his in state school Wisconsin until after he committed to the good guys. In Franklin I trust 100%.

Reactions: GregInPitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT