ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Introspection

lowhandicapper

Aug 24, 2021
When is the Big 10 going to wake up and examine itself?
Two national championships in football this century.
One national title in basketball this century.
Zero baseball titles.
The American big 3.
Is the mode of conference administration assisting in schools reaching their ultimate goal or hurting their own members?
Its a legit question that at this point needs to be answered.

Zero baseball titles.
The American big 3.
Is the mode of conference administration assisting in schools reaching their ultimate goal or hurting their own members?

Yes, but we dominate in wrestling.

The Big 10 has won every team championship since 2006, including 9 team titles by Penn State.

The Big 10 has won every team championship since 2006, including 9 team titles by Penn State.

The Big 10 is dominant in wrestling and good at hockey and soccer too. I think 4 hockey titles this century and 3ish in soccer, one in golf. That's the big 7 American sports. Wrestling, which is great, is never gonna get the 2PM weekend CBS treatment like football, baseball, basketball, hockey and golf do every weekend.

Reactions: Leo Ridens
Zero baseball titles.
The American big 3.
They put two teams in a four team playoff. I think the conference is doing okay.

Zero baseball titles.
The American big 3.
How many wrestling titles?

Zero baseball titles.
The American big 3.
What would your suggestion be to fix it?

What would your suggestion be to fix it?
I don't know what the answer is, however there are a bunch of guys that work for the Big 10 who make 6 and 7 figures that should have some idea of how to, whether they have the skills to implement it or not.
Building up one side of the conference in football is one of very stupidest things ever done, but it kept that rivalry in tact though.

I don't know what the answer is, however there are a bunch of guys that work for the Big 10 who make 6 and 7 figures that should have some idea of how to, whether they have the skills to implement it or not.
Building up one side of the conference in football is one of very stupidest things ever done, but it kept that rivalry in tact though.
Well your last sentence basically goes away soon with getting rid of divisions. Other than that I’m with you in not really knowing what the answer is.

Zero baseball titles.
The American big 3.

Football is the money-maker and drives the bus...and when it comes to football the "mode of conference administration" as well as the mode of everything else in the league is seemingly aimed at prioritizing the interests of two schools ahead of all the others.

In the end, this is short-sighted and counterproductive, though, yes, what with television rights and playoff booty, a lot of money has rolled down into the coffers of the other 12 universities.

Things could change, however, with the entry of two big-time west coast programs and the reported intention to ditch the divisional format. The scheduling plan will be critical. It needs to be fair and balanced.

Zero baseball titles.
The American big 3.
What do you think the mission of the Big 10 Conference is?

UM is now 21-29 in bowl games 🤔

Jim Harbaugh is now 1-6 in bowl games, having lost 6 in a row 🤔

There aren’t Big Ten conference referees or video review officials in bowl games 🤔

Compare the above to UMs winning percentage in games where there are Big Ten referees and video review officials, and pay special attention to games vs PSU in 1993, 1999, 2002, and 2005. 🤔

What about the basketball?
One title this century?
I love what the Maryland coach said, hammer meet nail.
We've had 7 teams in the title game since MSU won it all...you really think that is something systematic about the title game itself that we've put several teams into the Championship but they haven't won it? My answer would be variance and small sample size.

And Willard was so full of crap in a lot of his rant...my favorite part was this piece of logic that he dropped: "You play at 6:30, the guys are back in a dorm at 10 o'clock. If you play at nine, the kids aren't back in their dorm till 1:30, two o'clock"

Reactions: zeek55

The Big 10 is dominant in wrestling and good at hockey and soccer too. I think 4 hockey titles this century and 3ish in soccer, one in golf. That's the big 7 American sports. Wrestling, which is great, is never gonna get the 2PM weekend CBS treatment like football, baseball, basketball, hockey and golf do every weekend.
Seems I remember one team doing quite well in womens volleyball……and the league as a whole is very strong.

Reactions: Sullivan
The Big will probably never win a baseball title, so dont know why you brought that up. Basketball is fine. Regularly the conference with the most teams in the dance and always has teams in the elite 8. Top to bottom a very good basketball conference, some conferences jst have more elite 1 and done type kids on a couple teams to get them over the top.

We've had 7 teams in the title game since MSU won it all...you really think that is something systematic about the title game itself that we've put several teams into the Championship but they haven't won it? My answer would be variance and small sample size.

And Willard was so full of crap in a lot of his rant...my favorite part was this piece of logic that he dropped: "You play at 6:30, the guys are back in a dorm at 10 o'clock. If you play at nine, the kids aren't back in their dorm till 1:30, two o'clock"
Yeah that's the weirdest thing to focus on here. Big Ten has had 6 different programs reach the national championship game in basketball since MSU won. Most conferences don't have that many programs that can put together teams that can go on big runs in the tournament.

That's a terrific feat. And btw, those teams came up against monsters in most cases: a Villanova team that won 2 in 3 years; Florida that won back-to-back, and then UNC and Duke.

As far as this football year goes, it feels very different from the 2006 debacle. Ohio State/Michigan both lost easily in the national championship game and Rose Bowl (to a #8 USC) and the conference was vastly overrated back then.

This year Ohio State nearly beat Georgia (led until the final Georgia score) and had a chance to win it in the final seconds. Michigan had a chance to beat TCU despite a litany of errors including a pair of pick 6s.

Penn State went and beat the Pac-12 champion soundly in the Rose Bowl. A couple other decent bowl wins.

Conference is much stronger this year than 2006 (the last comparable situation) imo.

They’ve made it clear. There is one objective. Make as much money as possible for their members. That’s it.

In all seriousness, do you think the stated mission of the conference was ever to help member schools win National Championships, or to even deal with being competitive?
Humbly, I don't even think the PSU AD sees winning NCs as a driving influence.
A certain level of competitiveness with tempered expectations, drives stability, revenue, and makes the administrative bureaucracy much easier to manage for those in control. Always remember that the first goal of a bureaucracy is to protect and grow the bureaucracy. Everything else is a means to that end.

Yeah that's the weirdest thing to focus on here. Big Ten has had 6 different programs reach the national championship game in basketball since MSU won. Most conferences don't have that many programs that can put together teams that can go on big runs in the tournament.

That's a terrific feat. And btw, those teams came up against monsters in most cases: a Villanova team that won 2 in 3 years; Florida that won back-to-back, and then UNC and Duke.

As far as this football year goes, it feels very different from the 2006 debacle. Ohio State/Michigan both lost easily in the national championship game and Rose Bowl (to a #8 USC) and the conference was vastly overrated back then.

This year Ohio State nearly beat Georgia (led until the final Georgia score) and had a chance to win it in the final seconds. Michigan had a chance to beat TCU despite a litany of errors including a pair of pick 6s.

Penn State went and beat the Pac-12 champion soundly in the Rose Bowl. A couple other decent bowl wins.

Conference is much stronger this year than 2006 (the last comparable situation) imo.
And to be honest, disregarding the past bias in games we lost to them, I think OSU was robbed against Georgia....specifically the Harrison hit.

Same 2 teams that always fail on the national stage because they get help in scheduling, officiating, etc. from the conference in conference. The moment they go out of conference, the assistance is gone and they fall on their faces.
Disagree. If you haven't noticed, the top SEC schools are really good. This year Georgia would have boat raced most B1G teams. We were about 2 plays away from an OSU- UM championship game.

Zero baseball titles.
The American big 3.
I can tell the view from Ohio.

Football:
It is increasingly a southern sport. Ohio has fewer school age kids than 20 years ago. Even fewer of those play football. Many do nothing and others play sports like lacrosse and soccer. In the Peach Bowl almost all of OSU's skill players were from outside of Ohio. In this age of NIL OSU may have reached its high water mark.

Basketball:
The Big Ten does OK. The really elite schools (Duke, NC etc.) are not in the Big Ten.

Baseball:
I have a son who played college baseball in Ohio. The problem is weather. It will be very hard for a B1G team to win a NC in baseball. MLB teams do spring training in Florida or Arizona for a reason.

I can tell the view from Ohio.

Football:
It is increasingly a southern sport. Ohio has fewer school age kids than 20 years ago. Even fewer of those play football. Many do nothing and others play sports like lacrosse and soccer. In the Peach Bowl almost all of OSU's skill players were from outside of Ohio. In this age of NIL OSU may have reached its high water mark.

Basketball:
The Big Ten does OK. The really elite schools (Duke, NC etc.) are not in the Big Ten.

Baseball:
I have a son who played college baseball in Ohio. The problem is weather. It will be very hard for a B1G team to win a NC in baseball. MLB teams do spring training in Florida or Arizona for a reason.
For northern schools, by the time they can practice outdoors the season is half over. Plus, many games get canceled and the schedules get totally screwed up. Hard to keep your starting rotation on schedule.

Reactions: Westcoast24
I think a key is to continue to expand in to fertile recruiting areas. Southern California with USC and UCLA could be helpful with the pipeline there. This was a lot of the reason for MD and Rutgers, really lock up the DMV and NJ. When the ACC breaks will be key to keep creeping down the Midlantic and even into southeast. Will likely get in to TX somehow.

Reactions: Jerry and zeek55
Top football talent is in the South with the shifting demographics. Most of those players want to stay in the South. It is impressive Ohio State has been able to recruit the way it has and compete with those teams. Look at the high school talent in OH and PA; it's not like it was 30 years ago.

College Golf gets more air-time than College wrestling??? That's complete bullshit.

ADVERTISEMENT