ADVERTISEMENT

Football Big Ten Power Rankings entering week six

"Michigan hasn't played anyone that would be considered a test. "

Then you see Maryland ranked #4 in the Big Ten.

Nonsense article, or does the Big Ten really, really blow?

Reactions: bdgan

I think Maryland is good - but I think there’s a clear drop off after Penn State. I could’ve worded that better, surely.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I think Maryland is good - but I think there’s a clear drop off after Penn State. I could’ve worded that better, surely.

scUM could have easily lost to UMd very easily (as it was, scUM benefitted from some really questionable officiating that saw the Referines award two different UMd incompletions to scUM as INTs - one occurring on a 1st Down play in scUM territory while UMd had the lead.... ending a 58 Yard drive by UMd).

In any event, the key to your statement above is that you "think" UMd is "good" - we'll find out this weekend whether UMd is just okay or if they really are pretty good.

Ummmmm......, not for nothing but duhO$U has scored 244 and given up 74 (a differential of +170). scUM's scoring differential is +169 genius.
And Mich has played the girls school
No, they don't. CBS even has Maryland as the lock of the week. Not that they can't be wrong but on paper Maryland's the favorite.
I have this pinned. Would be shocked if MD wins.

Then you haven't been watching either of those teams much and just think Purdue is good because they hung around with us and beat Minnesota without their top back and receiver.

Also, not sure why you said you pinned it (lol) but I'm sure you'll only go to it if Purdue wins. If Maryland does you'll ignore it. Quick, accurate pick below...

Purdue at Maryland: Purdue picked up a nice 20-10 upset over Minnesota last week, which has boosted its street cred a little too much this week. Particularly if you watched the game. Minnesota drove into Purdue territory six times but came away with only a field goal and a touchdown; a missed field goal and three interceptions made up the other outcomes. Purdue's defense certainly deserves credit for it, but the Gophers were also without star running back Mohamed Ibrahim. Meanwhile, the Boilermakers' offense was ineffective. The Boilermakers cannot afford to have another performance like that against a Maryland team that will score on you.

Purdue's overall defensive numbers this season are solid, but the Boilermakers haven't faced an offense like this Maryland group. The Terps have NFL talent at the receiver position and are efficient in the passing game. Maryland ranks 28th nationally in success rate on offense and is scoring 3.02 points per possession (22nd). That includes 27 points and nearly 400 yards of offense on the road against Michigan. If the Terps can do that on the road against the Wolverines, they shouldn't have too much difficulty with Purdue's defense. Maryland 34, Purdue 27 | Maryland -3

And Mich has played the girls school

Keep in mind, dipshit told us Purdue was "garbage" and Minnesota was good..... And ASWP could win the b1g West - and then doubled-down on this claim after ASWP lost to a 1-3 three TD underdog this past weekend @HOME. He never tries of making idiotic, moronic claims and being wrong.

From a Penn State perspective, I'd prefer Maryland win this week vs Purdue. That could set them up as 8-1 coming into our game with them first Saturday of November. That gets them ranked and looks good down the stretch.

We've already beaten Purdue. Losing to an East team also doesn't hurt their West chances. They weren't ranked when we played them and will struggle to get ranked outside of winning out.

The radical takes on Minnesota is weird. They are a better team with Ibrahim, but they aren't a juggernaut with him. Stats padded vs a weak schedule. Some pub for beating a terrible Sparty. Does Maryland get that rub now?

-3 @home is basically a pick em. No idea who wins. Vegas is going with the home team. Anybody got the last 4 CBS locks of the week?

No one knows how to define the word test anymore. Some people act like for a game to be a "test" it needs to be against a top 5 or top ten team otherwise it's whatever. College football's regular season sucks if you're lucky if two games per season are actually worth a damn.

-3 @home is basically a pick em. No idea who wins. Vegas is going with the home team. Anybody got the last 4 CBS locks of the week?

Under Air Force-Nay Correct
Michigan to cover Miss
Kansas to cover Houston Correct
Kanas to cover WVU Correct

Again, there's no such thing as a lock but, on paper, Maryland's the better team and should be expected to win.

Oh--but you're 100% correct--we should be rooting for Maryland to win as that's best for Penn State

No one knows how to define the word test anymore. Some people act like for a game to be a "test" it needs to be against a top 5 or top ten team otherwise it's whatever. College football's regular season sucks if you're lucky if two games per season are actually worth a damn.
College football's regular season does kind of suck at this point which is the reason we need a large playoff. Currently only a handful of teams matter.

Oh--but you're 100% correct--we should be rooting for Maryland to win as that's best for Penn State

Depends on the scenario. I'm not really sure theres a situation where Maryland having the extra win does anything for us. There is a plausible scenario where Purdue winning does, however.

If we beat OSU and Michigan it doesnt really matter what Maryland does. Win the CCG and we're in the playoff.

If we were to end up in a 3 way tie with OSU and UM where we all split with the other and finish with 1 loss, we actually want Purdue to win since they don't play OSU or UM and the tiebreak for the division is the record of cross divisional opponents.

OSU- Iowa, NW, Wisconsin
UM- Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois
PSU- Purdue, NW, Minnesota

"5. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared based on the best cumulative conference winning percentage of non-divisional opponents.
(a) Example: East 1 non-divisional opponents are 20-7, East 2 non-divisional opponents are 19-8, East 3 non-divisional opponents are 14-13 – East 1 would be the representative."

We want Purdue and Minnesota to finish 1-2 in the west. I guess you could make the argument its better to miss the CCG with 1 loss but I'd rather control our destiny.

Last edited:
From a Penn State perspective, I'd prefer Maryland win this week vs Purdue. That could set them up as 8-1 coming into our game with them first Saturday of November. That gets them ranked and looks good down the stretch.

We've already beaten Purdue. Losing to an East team also doesn't hurt their West chances. They weren't ranked when we played them and will struggle to get ranked outside of winning out.

The radical takes on Minnesota is weird. They are a better team with Ibrahim, but they aren't a juggernaut with him. Stats padded vs a weak schedule. Some pub for beating a terrible Sparty. Does Maryland get that rub now?

Don't agree. BTW, a loss by Purdue does hurt them in the West. Overall Conference record determines Division Champs, not just their Inter-Division record.

Depends on the scenario. I'm not really sure theres a situation where Maryland having the extra win does anything for us. There is a plausible scenario where Purdue winning does, however.

If we beat OSU and Michigan it doesnt really matter what Maryland does. Win the CCG and we're in the playoff.

If we were to end up in a 3 way tie with OSU and UM where we all split with the other and finish with 1 loss, we actually want Purdue to win since they don't play OSU or UM and the tiebreak for the division is the record of cross divisional opponents.

OSU- Iowa, NW, Wisconsin
UM- Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois
PSU- Purdue, NW, Minnesota

"5. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared based on the best cumulative conference winning percentage of non-divisional opponents.
(a) Example: East 1 non-divisional opponents are 20-7, East 2 non-divisional opponents are 19-8, East 3 non-divisional opponents are 14-13 – East 1 would be the representative."

We want Purdue and Minnesota to finish 1-2 in the west. I guess you could make the argument its better to miss the CCG with 1 loss but I'd rather control our destiny.
I'm not worried about the 5th tiebreaker
And the best chance for us to make the playoff is for Ohio State to go 13-0 and for us to lose a close game against them while beating Michigan convincingly. SEC & Big Ten getting 2 teams is honestly our best bet

Reactions: rrdd2021
I'm not worried about the 5th tiebreaker
And the best chance for us to make the playoff is for Ohio State to go 13-0 and for us to lose a close game against them while beating Michigan convincingly. SEC & Big Ten getting 2 teams is honestly our best bet

It’s the first tiebreaker in the most likely 3 way tie. If psu osu and um all split and finish 7-1 tiebreakers 1-4 don’t come into play. It’s far more likely that cross divisional record would come into play than some sort of eyeball test where Maryland having an extra win helps us.

The best chance for us to make a playoff is to go 13-0 or 12-1 with a big ten championship, not as second to osu.

Last edited:
apparently our best chance is to ride OSU’s mighty coat tails.

As far as matching up their WRs, we have our best man up DBs since OSU started their WR U run about '17-'18. Piss on their coattails! I'd rather beat them straight up.

It’s the first tiebreaker in the most likely 3 way tie. If psu osu and um all split and finish 7-1 tiebreakers 1-4 don’t come into play. It’s far more likely that cross divisional record would come into play than some sort of eyeball test where Maryland having an extra win helps us.

The best chance for us to make a playoff is to go 13-0 or 12-1 with a big ten championship, not as second to osu.

But you have to factor in the odds of us beating Ohio State which is very low
11-1 with Clemson and USC losing a game as well is our best shot. Speaking purely on odds.

But you have to factor in the odds of us beating Ohio State which is very low
11-1 with Clemson and USC losing a game as well is our best shot. Speaking purely on odds.

I’d still argue it’s far more realistic that we beat um and lose to osu who loses to um than some sort of scenario where we are jockeying to pass a subjective eye test where Maryland finishing 9-3 instead of 8-4 is what gets us a nod over acc champ Clemson or pac 12 champ USC to be the second big ten team.

I’d still argue it’s far more realistic that we beat um and lose to osu who loses to um than some sort of scenario where we are jockeying to pass a subjective eye test where Maryland finishing 9-3 instead of 8-4 is what gets us a nod over acc champ Clemson or pac 12 champ USC to be the second big ten team.

I'm the one who started the "I'd prefer Maryland beat Purdue" talk. I was strictly going for late season potential game with a 1-loss ranked Maryland looks better. My consideration was that Purdue plays the rest of the West afterwards and if they win out, they would be 7-2 in conference and have a tie breaker over every West team.

The only help they would need is from us, and on our board, yes, we're calling that a Minnesota loss to guarantee they have 2 in conference.

It fulfills what you said (Purdue/Minnesota 1/2 in the West) and gives us another ranked win vs Maryland.

Yeah I mean that's possible. We'll know more next week but I think ultimately a strong Maryland is better for us than a strong Purdue as literally no one respects any team in the west.

I'm the one who started the "I'd prefer Maryland beat Purdue" talk. I was strictly going for late season potential game with a 1-loss ranked Maryland looks better. My consideration was that Purdue plays the rest of the West afterwards and if they win out, they would be 7-2 in conference and have a tie breaker over every West team.

The only help they would need is from us, and on our board, yes, we're calling that a Minnesota loss to guarantee they have 2 in conference.

It fulfills what you said (Purdue/Minnesota 1/2 in the West) and gives us another ranked win vs Maryland.

I’m pullin Purdue. Better chance to run table and finish 10 wins. Md should lose 2 more plus potent stumbles.

Also - we rely on DMV for recruits. I don’t want lockskley being able to sell anything. Want them to be down for long time.

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT