ADVERTISEMENT

Football Big Ten releases updated 2023 schedule ; Penn State opens Big Ten play on the road, again.

Don’t like our chances against UMASS after the bye week.
Yeah... super tough draw for a team that struggles after bye weeks historically.

Matthew Broderick GIF

I guess Iowa will be the Whiteout. Difficult to have a Whiteout in mid November for Michigan. That was no coincidence in scheduling to save UM.

I hate this conference.

I think theoretically WVU could be an option as well even though they are pretty sucky. NBC is going to carry a Big Ten game at night week one and I could see them trying to make a "splash" by having it be WVU/PSU and a Whiteout.

That being said, NBC is going to have night Big Ten games every week (except perhaps if Notre Dame has a night home game) so there will be night games in the Big Ten in November. So, it wouldn't completely shock me if PSU/Michigan is at night and the Whiteout.

But I actually think you are going to be correct and it will be Iowa.

I think theoretically WVU could be an option as well even though they are pretty sucky. NBC is going to carry a Big Ten game at night week one and I could see them trying to make a "splash" by having it be WVU/PSU and a Whiteout.

That being said, NBC is going to have night Big Ten games every week (except perhaps if Notre Dame has a night home game) so there will be night games in the Big Ten in November. So, it wouldn't completely shock me if PSU/Michigan is at night and the Whiteout.

But I actually think you are going to be correct and it will be Iowa.
What is the network selection order under the new TV deal? The draft order is key in guessing what game will be a possible night white out, and any big matchup selected early by FOX is likely to be a noon game. The good news is I think they get the first pick and will almost certainly choose OSU vs. UM, meaning whatever game NBC chooses first might be a whiteout candidate, assuming they pick a PSU game.

What is the network selection order under the new TV deal? The draft order is key in guessing what game will be a possible night white out, and any big matchup selected early by FOX is likely to be a noon game. The good news is I think they get the first pick and will almost certainly choose OSU vs. UM, meaning whatever game NBC chooses first might be a whiteout candidate, assuming they pick a PSU game.

It's not been entirely clear what the draft order will be between the networks, but I do believe that FOX will have first pick 50% of the weeks and CBS and NBC will each get first pick 25% of the weeks. Maybe.

As for the schedule, 2023 will be weird because CBS still will have the SEC for another year, with a game every week in the 3:30 PM slot (except for weeks 1 and 2) and one week with an 8 PM SEC game and one week with a 12 PM one plus a Black Friday SEC game. They are only supposed to carry 7 Big Ten games next year as a result.

For 2024 and beyond, the set up will be that FOX will get a Big 10 game at 12 PM, CBS 3:30 PM, NBC primetime (7:30 PM I would think). That will be the same every week. Also, one game on Labor Day Sunday, two games on Black Friday. I would expect a heavy helping of Michigan, Ohio St, PSU and USC in the three network windows.

That schedule is so boring on paper
Hopefully Illinois maintains what they're doing so far this year and Iowa/Northwestern are back to being good/decent
Bye/UMass before Ohio State isn't good
I hate the last 6 games all being against the Big Ten East
West Virginia/UMass/Delaware--do better (though that's not new info)

That schedule is so boring on paper
Hopefully Illinois maintains what they're doing so far this year and Iowa/Northwestern are back to being good/decent
Bye/UMass before Ohio State isn't good
I hate the last 6 games all being against the Big Ten East
West Virginia/UMass/Delaware--do better (though that's not new info)
West Virginia a good grab, but doesn’t offset just how far down the ladder the other two are. Sheesh. Delaware is very likely the better of the two. Of course this info isn’t new.

West Virginia a good grab, but doesn’t offset just how far down the ladder the other two are. Sheesh. Delaware is very likely the better of the two. Of course this info isn’t new.
I'm not interested in playing WV as our main OOC though I'm sure many people are happy due to the former rivalry.

OOC schedule was pretty due to contracts Sandy signed. Krafty got punked on B1G schedule. He was pretty much told to “sit down sonny and shut up”. Publicly saying he was raising hell about opening on the road was enough for B1G to say not on this watch. How much you want bet that PSU opens up B1G play in LA in 2024?

Reactions: MacNit07
OOC schedule was pretty due to contracts Sandy signed. Krafty got punked on B1G schedule. He was pretty much told to “sit down sonny and shut up”. Publicly saying he was raising hell about opening on the road was enough for B1G to say not on this watch. How much you want bet that PSU opens up B1G play in LA in 2024?
I would love to open that season against UCLA or USC at home or on the road

Should have said goodbye when we could…headed for 2 conferences semi-pro football

Should have said goodbye when we could…headed for 2 conferences semi-pro football
Goodbye to what?
No one is ever leaving the Big Ten or SEC
Please don't say you're one of the people that believe we'd be better off in the ACC yet still want to have 50 sports smh

I think it's more accurate to say we should never have said hello...because once we were in, there was never a tenable path out.

You could argue that it's proven a good move on many fronts, but for the football program, nothing has been the same since.

We were eastern football's equivalent of Ohio State and Michigan. But in this conference, we've been the red-headed stepchild...our presence resented from Day One.

I think it's more accurate to say we should never have said hello...because once we were in, there was never a tenable path out.

You could argue that it's proven a good move on many fronts, but for the football program, nothing has been the same since.

We were eastern football's equivalent of Ohio State and Michigan. But in this conference, we've been the red-headed stepchild...our presence resented from Day One.
Maybe we should have had better relationships with the other Eastern programs so they didn't exclude us
Maybe Paterno should have retired sooner so we didn't slip
Maybe we should stop blaming the Big Ten for us lack of success and accept it's our own fault

What could we have done different? The basketball only schools were 60% of the no votes.
Lots of things we could have done differently, right? Any time a program like Penn State doesn't get invite there's reasons--some petty but reasons nonetheless.

Lots of things we could have done differently, right? Any time a program like Penn State doesn't get invite there's reasons--some petty but reasons nonetheless.

What things? List them. I was born the year we applied and am not familiar with what we could have done different.

The primary reason given in my Google searches was 1) our basketball program stunk and the basketball only schools didn't want us 2) we had dominated the football schools and they didn't want us winning their league yearly. Though they split 3-2 to vote us in.

It was pretty much a given that we were going to open the season on the road in 2023 at Illinois. We are the only two schools not playing non-conference schools that weekend and we are due to travel to Illinois (they came to Happy Valley in 2020 and 2021).

The bigger question really is in 2024 when it's a clean slate with new conference teams starting and no divisions. If we don't open at home then, it will be evident that the complaints are being ignored or even worse it's just spite. Note: in the original schedule for 2024, we were indeed going to open on the road, Sept 14 at Rutgers.

Maybe we should have had better relationships with the other Eastern programs so they didn't exclude us
Maybe Paterno should have retired sooner so we didn't slip
Maybe we should stop blaming the Big Ten for us lack of success and accept it's our own fault

Your first point makes no sense. Paterno wanted an Eastern conference and tried to make it happen but the other schools gave a thumbs-down, which they later regretted. Years later the Big East was formed, a version of what Paterno proposed, but as a football entity it was doomed without Penn State on board.

Your second point is correct, and I couldn't agree more, but it has no relevance whatever to the point I made.

I'm not blaming the Big-10 for what you exaggerate as "our lack of success." I'm blaming the Big-10 for a pattern of bias and a corporate attitude of resentment that has been screamingly obvious since Day One.

Joe realized too late that from the standpoint of the football program, Penn State made a big mistake in joining the conference. By then, there was nothing he could do about it.

• Haha
Reactions: Go M&B
Paterno was a visionary! A rarity in sports and especially at Penn State. He pretty much predicted many of the major things that have happened and are happening in CFB.

Your first point makes no sense. Paterno wanted an Eastern conference and tried to make it happen but the other schools gave a thumbs-down, which they later regretted. Years later the Big East was formed, a version of what Paterno proposed, but as a football entity it was doomed without Penn State on board.
Joe wanted a league he could dominate. It was doomed even if Penn State was on board. To survive it would have needed Penn State and Notre Dame. Even then we would have left for the money of the Big Ten

ADVERTISEMENT