ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest BWI Board Meltdown?

js8793

Dec 4, 2018
Fun discussion in the other thread. Let's flip it around. In a dual where you're almost certainly going to roll, which individual result would leave a sour taste in your mouth despite that?

And I'd like to set aside the crazy upsets like Teske/RBY, Brands/Starocci, and Assad/Brooks. Obviously, if any of those happen, that would do it.

The first thought in my head was Murin over SVN. I know a lot of you don't like Murin and are extremely confident SVN takes care of him. I remember nearly 2 years of similar sentiment with Bartlett until they actually wrestled and it was one-sided. It would be kind of funny if Murin denied you all the satisfaction again.

The next would be Siebrecht over Haines. Losing to a guy like Siebrecht all but ends the "Haines is a title contender" narrative that is gaining steam on here.

Then you have minor upset possibilities with Cass and Warner.

What do you guys think?

Fun discussion in the other thread. Let's flip it around. In a dual where you're almost certainly going to roll, which individual result would leave a sour taste in your mouth despite that?

And I'd like to set aside the crazy upsets like Teske/RBY, Brands/Starocci, and Assad/Brooks. Obviously, if any of those happen, that would do it.

The first thought in my head was Murin over SVN. I know a lot of you don't like Murin and are extremely confident SVN takes care of him. I remember nearly 2 years of similar sentiment with Bartlett until they actually wrestled and it was one-sided. It would be kind of funny if Murin denied you all the satisfaction again.

The next would be Siebrecht over Haines. Losing to a guy like Siebrecht all but ends the "Haines is a title contender" narrative that is gaining steam on here.

What do you guys think?
giphy.gif

I don't forsee any meltdown happening even if there was an anomaly. When Brooks lost earlier this year it was discussed but pretty much shrugged off because we all know. 😇

We lose 25 and 41 to Iowa. That's my prediction.🥱

Fair enough question. I am clearly on record for SVN beating Murin. That said, it’s not inconceivable that Murin pulls out a late TD to win after not shooting the entire match. It would be disappointing but not shocking.

If Woods completely dominates Bartlett, that would be disappointing as well.

That said, most of us on here take Cael’s approach in that it’s March that matters and none of these occurrences would send this board into a meltdown.

What do you guys think?
As a reasonable fan, it is wrestling and ANYTHING can happen any given day. But as good as our wrestlers are, there is always something that can happen. Murin has the experience over SVN and to see SVN lose would not be shocking. Seeing him lose again come March against Murin is a different story.

Haines losing to Siebrecht would be like Mark Hall losing to Alex Meyer.

Also I would not consider Warner nor Cass to be minor upset possibilities. Based on ranking, sure it is an upset, but Kerk still has a losing record to Cass and Warner wrestles like a tough sob.

“Watch out for Andy McCulley.”

“Watch out for Keaton Subjeck.”

“Watch out for Christian Brucki.”

“Watch out for Brock Zacheryl.”

“Watch out for Ben Thornton.”

“Watch out for Donnell Washington.”

Most PSU freshman standouts have a “he ain’t all that” loss that gets tossed around HR and other dark corners of the interwebs as proof that they aren’t ready for the podium
It's like you don't know PSU wrestling at all.

What do you guys think?
anything is possible at this and that level - some are not upsets. You have style differences and then it isn't a best of 3 or 5.. Don't think Hall would lose again (whomever he lost to in his first match)

I think Levi losing to Siebrecht for me. Watching Levi hammer Model I just felt like we were watching a kid that is going to get better every time out. I also think he’s going to be an AA so losing to Siebrecht would really surprise me and take some wind out my sails. I think SVN beats Murin so I would be a little upset if that match went the other way but Murin is a tough out. Woods has to be the favorite against BB as well as PK against Facundo but I can absolutely see both PSU kids winning. I’m much higher on Facundo than most and see this as an important match for him. I think he wins even though he’s the underdog coming in

Honestly if either Warner or Cass wins, the board would be annoyed even though those are not like HUGE upsets. I think especially Cass over Kerk since we want to think Kerk got over the hump and is leaving Cass behind.

Meltdown mode would be if one of Brooks, Starocci, RBY loses.

Obviously injuries ... pray for NONE of those for both teams.

PSU wrestlers losing rarely sends us into a tizzy. Missing bonus points by 1 or 2 bout points at NCAAs does. But one thing reliably gets us all abuzz: Crazy antics by Brands, Spencer, or any Hawkeye. Terry snubbing the handshake, Spencer face-mushing Gary, stuff like that will get us going sure as rain.

What do you guys think?
If you want me to pick one match, I would say Woods getting bonus points vs Bartlett. Woods winning isn't a surprise, but I think everyone here is looking at Bartlett as a fairly high AA (along with Woods, who might be the favorite to win since Matthews lost), and getting majored or teched would be a body blow to that narrative.

I don't know about "meltdown", but that one would really sting, probably more than Haines losing, because Haines is still a freshman, so there is more of a chance he will recover and continue to improve. Bartlett should be past the point of that much inconsistency by this time in his career.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22

What do you guys think?
Carter giving up a takedown.

Reactions: Split shot

What do you guys think?
Considering the fact this board will melt down on Fridays during NCAAs because one of the big guns won by only 14 points leaving a half point unearned, it could be just about anything.

What could send the board over the top would be, collectively:
Spencer pin 0 - 6
RBY MD 4 - 6
Woods Dec 4 - 9
Murin Dec 4 - 12
Siebrecht Dec 4 - 15
Kennedy Dec 4 - 18
Starocci MD (by 14 points) 8 - 18
Brooks MD (by 14 points) 12 - 18
Dean Dec 15 - 18
Kerkvliet Dec (by 7 points) 18 - 18
Iowa wins via Spencer's pin.

That would cause a meltdown that would require repair extensive enough it would not be up and running in time for Sunday's match.

Considering the fact this board will melt down on Fridays during NCAAs because one of the big guns won by only 14 points leaving a half point unearned, it could be just about anything.

What could send the board over the top would be, collectively:
Spencer pin 0 - 6
RBY MD 4 - 6
Woods Dec 4 - 9
Murin Dec 4 - 12
Siebrecht Dec 4 - 15
Kennedy Dec 4 - 18
Starocci MD (by 14 points) 8 - 18
Brooks MD (by 14 points) 12 - 18
Dean Dec 15 - 18
Kerkvliet Dec (by 7 points) 18 - 18
Iowa wins via Spencer's pin.

That would cause a meltdown that would require repair extensive enough it would not be up and running in time for Sunday's match.
thanks for this post. this isn't even that crazy honestly (other than starocci and brooks winning by 14).

I'm normally pretty even keeled through the regular season, so tried to think of something that would actually leave me fuming and came up with: Kerk losing on a late reversal /late reversal --> OT loss.
hmm that sounds familiar

A good one though would be Cael decided to keep Levi in shirt, starts Barraclogh who gets decked by Cobe and PSU loses match by 1 point. Nittany Chris will go ballistic. Lol j/k Chris... I think.
Ugh. I could see myself pounding a few drinks if that occurred. Lol.
And I would be here to enjoy that outcome with you!

One thing about this dual, the weights where we have our hammers, their guys are pretty stingy defensively (Teske/Nelson/Abe) With Spencer almost certainly getting 6, we need to win 6 matches which obviously should happen with our Big 5 + one other guy (Van Ness or Haines is the most likely IMO). Warner and Dean always is unsettled until the final 30 seconds of each match so an upset there isn't that wild. Kerk did win the takedown battle 3-0 against Cass at NWCA but almost went to his back during a ride. Can't have any d'oh moments.

Split 5-5 and it's looking pretty good for Iowa honestly. Obviously if Haines turks Cobe and gets bonus there, that's huge.

Just my 2 cents, I think we should win the tournament comfortably (barring injuries, always knock on wood, health is fragile in this sport) but the dual will be very nerve wracking (like last year). Iowa will come to wrestle.

By far the biggest 'meltdown' would occur if Steen tossed Spencer to his back for the second time this month, but got the pin. Gone are both the Hodge and the dual in one fail swoop.

ADVERTISEMENT