ADVERTISEMENT

BMW X4.....anyone own one? Thoughts on BMW SUV?

Ick .... these lumpy ass CUVs with the important part of the roof chopped off can go to hell.

it’s an uglier, more expensive, and less practical version of the x3. Explain to me again what the case for it is? Were BMW to offfer the X3 in the same trim level (i.e. X3M40i) you’d be getting a much more functional vehicle.

Compared to Acura? I’m in the market!

https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/x4
If you need or will ever need to install child car seats, be sure to check out the fit. My son-in-law was ready to buy the BMW SUV until he tried the car seat and he was not able to put his seat back where he was comfortable. He is 6'3. He ended up with the Jeep Cherokee which had adequate room.

Reactions: PennsylvaniaPride
I like the X4 in “fake” M guise. Do NOT buy the new RDX. I test drove a beautiful A-spec. loved it and while my salesperson was checking with the boss, I googled some reviews. The car is a mess.
If you don’t need tons of utility, the X4 is breasts, just add JB4.
WwyLH9w.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
I like the X4 in “fake” M guise. Do NOT buy the new RDX. I test drove a beautiful A-spec. loved it and while my salesperson was checking with the boss, I googled some reviews. The car is a mess.
WwyLH9w.jpg

When you opt for the +M+ Package ($4500), it comes with a small box of M badges for the dealer to apply at your discretion ;)

Reactions: katchthis
Lots more. Steering wheel, sport seats, lower suspension, bigger brakes etc. And I debadge my cars. I cross shopped a 235 v my TT. If I purchased it, there’d be ZERO Ms on the outside, cause that S ain’t right.

I would look at reliability ratings, even if you are only going to own it for one year. For several decades, European autos fared very poorly, "much" worse than our domestics even, with the Asians on top. You should do that, hell, a BMW may actually be the most dependable now, or perhaps not so much!

I would look at reliability ratings, even if you are only going to own it for one year. For several decades, European autos fared very poorly, "much" worse than our domestics even, with the Asians on top. You should do that, hell, a BMW may actually be the most dependable now, or perhaps not so much!
Everything is taken care of for the original owner. Your sage advice applies to owner 2.

Can’t speak for BMW, but my ‘18 VW (assembled in Mexico:eek:) is better-built and has been more-reliable (29k on the meter in 14mos) than any of the Japanese brands in my driveway... 2x the warranty coverage as well vs. the Jappz

There was a time where Toyota/Honda was peerless... that delta closed, and not recently either

WwyLH9w.jpg

I'm surprised you didn't go for this...
2020-volkswagen-tiguan-mmp-1-1566247993.jpg

Sooooo heavy, and there’s really no tuning solution. It’s a miller cycle engine and has under 200 hp. So stupid. If they brought over Europe’s shorter version and put in the 230hp Gti motor, my cx5 would be gone.
(The suv is for my girl) if I was utility shopping, this would be my tool:
8Rbctlp.jpg

WwyLH9w.jpg

I haven't sat in an X4, but if the seats are anything like the X3 and you're anywhere near 6' tall and 200 lbs they will likely be uncomfortable for you, they (X3) are too narrow/tightly bolstered. If the seats are more like the ones in an X5, they're much better.

I haven't sat in an X4, but if the seats are anything like the X3 and you're anywhere near 6' tall and 200 lbs they will likely be uncomfortable for you, they (X3) are too narrow/tightly bolstered. If the seats are more like the ones in an X5, they're much better.

I'm 6'2" / 217lbs and on 12/27/2019 my wife and I test drove the following:

2019: X3, X4, 528e, 528i, X5... I know these are basically totally different vehicles, but she is replacing both her everyday commuter and her weekend fun-around.

Our take:
X5 = vehicle for long family road trips
X3 = her choice for everyday commuter (the X4 she liked, but something about an odd sightline for her she did not like)
528i v 528e = she went with the 528e so she can drive the HOV lane on the rare occasion she drives it to work. We have driven it more than her old 5-series simply because of the e-drive and the gas savings. BMW claims 25 miles all electric range, but we have been able to see over 100 miles on a single charge.

As for 6ft not being uncomfortable... not at all. All of them had plenty of leg room, and I prefer the Sport seats to the Luxury seats. They feel like you're driving a vehicle meant to be driven fast.

I'm 6'2" / 217lbs and on 12/27/2019 my wife and I test drove the following:

2019: X3, X4, 528e, 528i, X5... I know these are basically totally different vehicles, but she is replacing both her everyday commuter and her weekend fun-around.

Our take:
X5 = vehicle for long family road trips
X3 = her choice for everyday commuter (the X4 she liked, but something about an odd sightline for her she did not like)
528i v 528e = she went with the 528e so she can drive the HOV lane on the rare occasion she drives it to work. We have driven it more than her old 5-series simply because of the e-drive and the gas savings. BMW claims 25 miles all electric range, but we have been able to see over 100 miles on a single charge.

As for 6ft not being uncomfortable... not at all. All of them had plenty of leg room, and I prefer the Sport seats to the Luxury seats. They feel like you're driving a vehicle meant to be driven fast.

I had a new X3 (< 2,000 miles) for a loaner a few months back while my 540 was in the shop for 10,000 mile service. The X3 felt cheap - not sturdy, not well-built. It didn't have the crisp, firm sound when you close the door - you know what I mean? It has more of a light, tin feel to it. So much so that I commented to my wife how much of a downgrade it was driving that car compared to my car and her ML 350.

We're also in the market for a new SUV (the maintenance costs on a 6 year old MB are starting to get ridiculous - like in the $2,000 to $3,000 a year range). I'm really curious to check out the 2021 Genesis GV80 (supposed to come out in the Summer). We're going to look at that, Lincoln Aviator, Audi Q7, BMW X5, Volvo XC90 and Toyota Highlander. My wife has only driven 6,000 in the last 2 years (now works from home and takes care of our 10 month old) so I go back and forth on lease versus buy. If it's a buy, a Mercedes will be the only car we don't look at.

We have an X4 (2016) and like it quite a bit. No complaints about performance. I believe we have the premium package. Only thing that was oft-putting was the heads-up display. We turned that off the first day and never turned it on since. We had the X1 prior to that which was fine but we enjoy the X4.

It's just my wife and me and two little dogs though they rarely ride in it so space has never been an issue with us. I'm 6ft/160lbs and driver's seat/space is fine with me.

I got a 2019 RDX with Advance package and would make the same purchase again. Looked at the BMW and Mercedes but they were $10K more, and from what I’ve heard the tires last a ridiculously low 25K miles on them. Also maintenance is more for the BMW/Mercedes.

I saw the negative reviews on the RDX, and I agree with some, including that the Infotainment system is glitchy (although it has gotten better with updates). However, from previous experience with Acura they do a good job making things right when there are widespread issues, including extending the warranty for such problems.

If money were no object I may have gone with the BMW X3 M40i though.

I got a 2019 RDX with Advance package and would make the same purchase again. Looked at the BMW and Mercedes but they were $10K more, and from what I’ve heard the tires last a ridiculously low 25K miles on them. Also maintenance is more for the BMW/Mercedes.

I saw the negative reviews on the RDX, and I agree with some, including that the Infotainment system is glitchy (although it has gotten better with updates). However, from previous experience with Acura they do a good job making things right when there are widespread issues, including extending the warranty for such problems.

If money were no object I may have gone with the BMW X3 M40i though.

Most good tires are pretty well spent after 25-30k... tires with meaningless/worthless 65,000mi warrantys are typically of a compound that you would not want if you do any spirited driving ... likewise you would not want to be on those compounds that late in the life of the tire...

I give credit to Honda for giving the new RDX its own platform as opposed to up-badging the CRV... and while it’s an improvement , there are still some wonky ham-handed Honda styling gaffes (the bad lines under the tail-lights that Honda can’t seem to avoid slathering over their models) ...

Can't go wrong with any Toyota or Lexus, and Honda or Acura brand just need to do the scheduled maintenance at the dealership and they will go until 300k with only slight mechanical issues. If you do not do this it is like any other car and will have issues that pop up that a trained tech would have caught prior and leads to larger issues and cost!

I own a 2008 Lexus IS250 awd and it has been great to say the least. I currently have 115k on the car and it has been without question the best car I have ever owned. I have owned may american made cars and the Lexus has made me think twice about ever buying another american made car other then the Mustang Shelby or Corvette if you are looking only for a car to drive on the weekends and not put a lot of miles on the car.

Now with that said I have many friends that have bought either the Mercedes, BMW, Alpha, Jag, and Landrover and have had nothing but horror stories about they vehicles they have bought. They are either built proof or not! But have not heard many people say they are absolutely in love with any of the above.

Would recommend either Toyota or Lexus, or Honda or Acura brand if you are looking for long lasting performance and ride.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Can't go wrong with any Toyota or Lexus, and Honda or Acura brand just need to do the scheduled maintenance at the dealership and they will go until 300k with only slight mechanical issues. If you do not do this it is like any other car and will have issues that pop up that a trained tech would have caught prior and leads to larger issues and cost!

I own a 2008 Lexus IS250 awd and it has been great to say the least. I currently have 115k on the car and it has been without question the best car I have ever owned. I have owned may american made cars and the Lexus has made me think twice about ever buying another american made car other then the Mustang Shelby or Corvette if you are looking only for a car to drive on the weekends and not put a lot of miles on the car.

Now with that said I have many friends that have bought either the Mercedes, BMW, Alpha, Jag, and Landrover and have had nothing but horror stories about they vehicles they have bought. They are either built proof or not! But have not heard many people say they are absolutely in love with any of the above.

Would recommend either Toyota or Lexus, or Honda or Acura brand if you are looking for long lasting performance and ride.

Heh, if you say so... are you still using a Motorola StarTac 7797 too?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT